The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web Design & SEO Agency Progress Thread

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I've been wanting to do this for a while now - I decided to finally go ahead and set up a progress thread. I'd also like to briefly mention @Champion's thread as I greatly admire, and am inspired by his consistent energy and focus.

I'm using this as a daily progress thread for my Web Design & SEO Agency. My reasoning is this will provide me with a form of accountability as well as a visual method to track progress. It'll also be great to look back on this thread when I'm successful haha! My goal is by the of this year to have £3,000 for myself. This combined with my current financial situation will enable me to move out of my parent's place and into a cheap 1 bedroom apartment, where I will be able to hammer down and focus even more on my business. By the end of 2022, the goal is to be generating $10,000 in monthly revenue through both Web Design & SEO, which I can then use to fund my main scalable business idea while having the discretionary income to travel the world.

-----

I will be posting here every day using 2 main metrics:

1. '5 Tasks' Taking inspiration from the TFCEO 'trust your instruments' podcast episode I am focusing on completing 5 main tasks every day, each of them involving something that will be pushing my business forward in some way. While I used to focus only on revenue generated, this would quickly bum me out as after I would fail 1 sales conversation, to me that was me failing to achieve that goal. With this '5 Tasks' approach, I can focus on action and improving my process as I progress.
2. 'Daily Highlights' This is where I will mention one or more of the most important tasks that I completed that day, along with any highlights that happened on that day.

-----

Here's a brief summary of my situation:
- I am currently doing everything myself. However, I would like to start hiring VA's for LeadGen activities early next year, meaning I will have more time to focus on sales conversations and production.
- While I focus on the Web Design / SEO side of the business, I have a business partner who helps out with the SMM and other digital marketing aspects of the business. He owns his own separate business, but we work together often. This is mentioned because you might see him pop up a few times in this thread.
- I am focusing on this full-time. I have enough savings for another 3 months of living expenses. Living with parents has helped with this a lot.
- I've implemented a 20% commission plan with all referrals. (This includes anyone on the forum who needs / knows anything haha!)
- I've invested in @Fox's Legends Program. The value in there is immense, and I'd highly recommend the investment if anyone is on the fence about it. Fox has really put his all into it, and it shows.
- I'm looking to sell mostly SEO services for MRR in the future, but for now, I'm selling both Web Design & SEO services.

-----

I currently have 3 clients:
B&M Business: This is a local B&M Business, and the only store in its niche in the local area. I built the website and got them some great results, and right now my biz partner and I are focusing on helping boost their SMM presence for free. We're doing this so we can ask for some referrals later once we have over-delivered for this client.
U.S Construction Company: This is the big one. I've got some great ideas and am implementing a variety of systems to get them some massive results. They have also mentioned that they have some great connections throughout their industry, which will be great for referrals. Very excited about this project.
Elevator Technician: This is a small deal, and my only MRR client. Although I'm only getting paid a very small amount every month, I'm using this to practise my SEO skills and to hopefully use it as a case study in the future.

If you're interested in following this thread, it'd mean a lot if you made a short post and introduced yourself so we can connect. Plus it helps a lot with my discipline and keeps me focused.

Cheers,

inabox1

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #1

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Created a very personalised cold email campaign for U.S prospects along with automated follow-ups. This is the first time I'll actually have consistent follow-ups, and I'm interested to see the results.
- Worked on the Elevator Technicians site. He's a great client to work with and is very happy so far.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Hello all!

I've been wanting to do this for a while now - I decided to finally go ahead and set up a progress thread. I'd also like to briefly mention @Champion's thread as I greatly admire, and am inspired by his consistent energy and focus.

I'm using this as a daily progress thread for my Web Design & SEO Agency. My reasoning is this will provide me with a form of accountability as well as a visual method to track progress. It'll also be great to look back on this thread when I'm successful haha! My goal is by the of this year to have £3,000 for myself. This combined with my current financial situation will enable me to move out of my parent's place and into a cheap 1 bedroom apartment, where I will be able to hammer down and focus even more on my business. By the end of 2022, the goal is to be generating $10,000 in monthly revenue through both Web Design & SEO, which I can then use to fund my main scalable business idea while having the discretionary income to travel the world.

-----

1. '5 Tasks' Taking inspiration from the TFCEO 'trust your instruments' podcast episode I am focusing on completing 5 main tasks every day, each of them involving something that will be pushing my business forward in some way. While I used to focus only on revenue generated, this would quickly bum me out as after I would fail 1 sales conversation, to me that was me failing to achieve that goal. With this '5 Tasks' approach, I can focus on action and improving my process as I progress.
2. 'Daily Highlights' This is where I will mention one or more of the most important tasks that I completed that day, along with any highlights that happened on that day.

-----

- I am currently doing everything myself. However, I would like to start hiring VA's for LeadGen activities early next year, meaning I will have more time to focus on sales conversations and production.
- While I focus on the Web Design / SEO side of the business, I have a business partner who helps out with the SMM and other digital marketing aspects of the business. This is his own business, and we work together often. This is mentioned because you might see him pop up a few times in this thread.
- I am focusing on this full-time. I have enough savings for another 3 months of living expenses. Living with parents has helped with this a lot.
- I've implemented a 20% commission plan with all referrals. (This includes anyone on the forum who needs / knows anything haha!)
- I've invested in @Fox's Legends Program. The value in there is immense, and I'd highly recommend the investment if anyone is on the fence about it. Fox has really put his all into it, and it shows.
- I'm looking to sell mostly SEO services for MRR in the future, but for now, I'm selling both Web Design & SEO services.

-----

I currently have 4 clients:
B&M Business: This is a local B&M Business, and the only store in its niche in the local area. I built the website and got them some great results, and right now my biz partner and I are focusing on helping boost their SMM presence for free. We're doing this so we can ask for some referrals later once we have over-delivered for this client.
U.S Construction Company: This is the big one. I've got some great ideas and am implementing a variety of systems to get them some massive results. They have also mentioned that they have some great connections throughout their industry, which will be great for referrals. Very excited about this project.
Elevator Technician: This is a small deal, and my only MRR client. Although I'm only getting paid a very small amount every month, I'm using this to practise my SEO skills and to hopefully use it as a case study in the future.

If you're interested in following this thread, it'd mean a lot if you made a short post and introduced yourself so we can connect. Plus it helps a lot with my discipline and keeps me focused.

Cheers,

inabox1
keep up the good stuff man

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #2

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Sent off question list for Construction Company site.
- 1 new lead with a U.S Construction Company. Waiting to hear back.
- U.K Elevator Technician site should be hosted this week. Site is now finished and my client is very happy.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Sounds like a plan.

Out of curiousity how come your clients are in the US as you are in the UK? Don't you approach UK companies or is it that the response so far has been from the US?

Dan

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Sounds like a plan.

Out of curiousity how come your clients are in the US as you are in the UK? Don't you approach UK companies or is it that the response so far has been from the US?

Dan

I approach both.

2/3 of my clients are in the UK, the US construction company was contacted via cold email.

I do focus on both the UK and the US (pretty much a 50/50 split) but my experience so far has been that US clients are both easier to convince and willing to invest more than UK clients. My conversion rate with cold prospecting also seems to be higher for US clients.

Plus, the English accent does help when selling to yanks ;)

I'm just getting started though, so things may end up changing.

Last edited:

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hello all!

-----

-----

- While I focus on the Web Design / SEO side of the business, I have a business partner who helps out with the SMM and other digital marketing aspects of the business. He owns his own separate business, but we work together often. This is mentioned because you might see him pop up a few times in this thread.

-----

Cheers,

inabox1
Nice man, looking forward to see where you take this!

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Plus, the English accent does help when selling to yanks

Absolutely. Have you told 'The Elevator Guy' that you will be referring to him as 'The Lift Man' yet? :)

Dan

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #3

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Facebook Group networking seems promising. I'm taking a long-term approach by not being too pushy.
- Sent off some handwritten letters to some leads. I'm interested to see how well they work.
- Attended my first live call with the Fox Legends Group. I got a lot of value from the call, and I've got a plan for in-person selling tomorrow. Really pushing to land a 4-figure client this month.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #4

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- In-person prospecting today. Walked into a huge industrial site near me and got completely lost lol. I talked with a few key businesses though.
- One of the businesses is a MASSIVE player in their industry. They had their site redesigned 2 weeks ago, but honestly it needs improvement. I'm going to send over a full site redesign for free and see what they think. I know I can get them massive results and really help them out. This would be huge for me to leverage in future deals. I'll see how it goes.
- Finalised my prospecting plan to get to £2K+ clients. Just need to focus on execution.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #5

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Still sorting out hosting for the Elevator technician. The old hosting company is a bit of a pain, but I'll get there.
- Did some more work on my plan for getting huge results with a client. I know I can massively help their business.
- Had my first 'proper' sales call today with a Real Estate Developer from New York. I completely failed. He was very insistent about the price and when I said it, he said he wasn't interested and hung up. A great learning experience, and something to smile about when I read this post a year from now (Hello future inabox1).

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
I approach both.

2/3 of my clients are in the UK, the US construction company was contacted via cold email.

I do focus on both the UK and the US (pretty much a 50/50 split) but my experience so far has been that US clients are both easier to convince and willing to invest more than UK clients. My conversion rate with cold prospecting also seems to be higher for US clients.

Plus, the English accent does help when selling to yanks ;)

I'm just getting started though, so things may end up changing.
Cool thread.

As an American preparing to phone up English companies, I'm wondering how receptive (to your knowledge) they are to cold calls, particularly from Americans. Not that it really matters as I'll do it anyway, but wouldn't hurt to see if you have any insight on that.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
As an American preparing to phone up English companies, I'm wondering how receptive (to your knowledge) they are to cold calls, particularly from Americans. Not that it really matters as I'll do it anyway, but wouldn't hurt to see if you have any insight on that.

I've found that when cold calling UK companies, rapport/small-talk seems to be a lot more important when getting people to stay on the phone.

I've recently been cold calling some local companies, and I generally open with something along the lines of 'Hey! How're you? Lovely weather today'.

If I'm calling companies that aren't local to me but are still based in the UK, I'll say something like:

'Hello mate, how's it going?'
"Not bad thanks, yourself?"
'Yeah I'm great thanks, so I was just looking at your website..."

I'd say 95%+ of the time, I don't get hung up on. While the rejection rate is still high (it is cold calling after all!), the rejections come from the business owners actually telling me they're not interested, rather than just hanging up. I've also noticed that I have more businesses asking me to send them some more info via their email this way.

Basically, sounding and talking like a normal person - not a salesman - seems to help a lot.

Hope this helps!

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #6

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Did some more work on the U.S Construction Site. CEO replied saying she's busy but will be answering some questions relating to the website next week. Nearly completed the design side of the site though.
- Did some more work on a portfolio client. This will give me massive leverage if it goes through with the owners.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #7

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Did some more work on 2x clients' sites.
- Elevator Technicians site is almost online. Final stages.
- My mindset has been pretty strong this week. I will put in the effort to maintain/improve it further.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #8

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Did some prospecting, and some client site work.
- My biggest lead is on holiday this week. Gah!

Last edited:

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #9

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- I had a great Deep Work session today. 3 websites are almost completely finished.
- Had a few new inbound leads for the first time from a few business owners replying to my FB posts (wait does that still count as inbound?), looking to close 1-2 small deals from these while I build up my portfolio of big results this month.
- More progress towards hosting the elevator technicians site. I want it hosted by the end of this week.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #10

4/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Didn't hit my 5/5 goal for the first time today. I will do extra tomorrow to make up for it and put in fallback systems to stop this from happening again.
- Elevator technician client found his domain details. Hosting can actually take place now.
- Attended another Fox call today. Very confident that I am on the right track in gaining a valuable portfolio. I will do this.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #11

7/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Made up for yesterday. Still annoyed at myself from that. I need to think about how to prevent it happening again.
- Almost finished 3 websites, and the client website. Waiting on some info from her, but the design side is pretty much done.
- I know exactly what I need to do. I know I can do it. I just need to execute & consistently.

rafikadir

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 8, 2021
Hello dear,
I have started my new SMM and web design business. How can i get leads for my business. Any tips for beggeinner?
Hello all!

-----

-----

-----

Cheers,

inabox1

Wizza134

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Feb 27, 2021
Hello all!

-----

-----

-----

Cheers,

inabox1
This is an amazing thread man if you don't mind I have a question how did you go about learning SEO?

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #12

5/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Next week is going to be big for me.
- Did some more hosting work.
- I have a couple of Facebook leads, but honestly, they're not sites I can use to leverage in the future, and the price is very low. Still nice to have the option though.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello dear,
I have started my new SMM and web design business. How can i get leads for my business. Any tips for beggeinner?

When I first started I sent out 40 personalised cold emails every day. If they replied, I redesigned the first page of their website and sent it over to them for free, even if they didn't ask. I was able to get my first 2 clients this way after a week or two. Walking in person also helps a lot if the business is located near you.

While this did work for me, it's not what I would recommend. What I would, and am doing now, is hyper-targeting specific businesses that I know I can get sales for. Even if they're low budget or free projects (you could offer it for free, but ask for payment if they get results from the site), it will speed up the whole process a lot faster.

----

Imagine 2 cold emails - which is going to be more effective?

'Hey I can make a website'

VS

"Hey, I just helped [lawyer near them] earn £4,000 in just the first month of me working with them, and now they're fully booked for the next two months. Are you free for a quick call on Thursday at 2pm?"

----

Hope this helps.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
This is an amazing thread man if you don't mind I have a question how did you go about learning SEO?

There is some great information out there for free. YouTube is a good place to start. You can buy a course if you want, but honestly, I'd learn the basics from YouTube / a cheap course, and then focus most of your time on learning sales and taking action.

Here's a link to a video that helped me learn SEO (split it into chunks over a few days).

Wizza134

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Feb 27, 2021
There is some great information out there for free. YouTube is a good place to start. You can buy a course if you want, but honestly, I'd learn the basics from YouTube / a cheap course, and then focus most of your time on learning sales and taking action.

Here's a link to a video that helped me learn SEO (split it into chunks over a few days).
Thank you very much for this information

rafikadir

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Nov 8, 2021
When I first started I sent out 40 personalised cold emails every day. If they replied, I redesigned the first page of their website and sent it over to them for free, even if they didn't ask. I was able to get my first 2 clients this way after a week or two. Walking in person also helps a lot if the business is located near you.

While this did work for me, it's not what I would recommend. What I would, and am doing now, is hyper-targeting specific businesses that I know I can get sales for. Even if they're low budget or free projects (you could offer it for free, but ask for payment if they get results from the site), it will speed up the whole process a lot faster.

----

Imagine 2 cold emails - which is going to be more effective?

'Hey I can make a website'

VS

"Hey, I just helped [lawyer near them] earn £4,000 in just the first month of me working with them, and now they're fully booked for the next two months. Are you free for a quick call on Thursday at 2pm?"

----

Hope this helps.
thanks for suggestion

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #13

4/5 Tasks Completed

Highlights

- Final task wasn't able to be completed due to a client's previous website company flat out refusing to give me any information until they started work again on Monday. To be honest, I got pretty frustrated/anxious, but I was transparent with the client about what's going on so it should be ok.
- Should be meeting with a CEO of a big lawyer biz near me on Monday. He still needs to confirm, but this is very promising.
- My lizard brain went a bit crazy today. It's not really like me to get stressed to the point that I can't hold basic conversations with people. I think my lack of breaks is what caused my first non-5/5 task completion day to happen this week. To prevent this in the future, I'll be having an off day every Sunday, starting from tomorrow. While I'll still be doing work they will be smaller, minor tasks, and I'll see it as a day to give my brain a break from my obsession. I'll also make sure to be consistent with my gym-going. I've been very consistent with it for over a year but I've slipped up as I have been concentrating on my business. Bit of a rant but this is a nice place to vent.

inabox1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 30, 2020
United Kingdom
Day #14 (REST DAY)

Highlights
- I went for a long walk today. Rethought my why, my vision, and my plan to accomplish my goals. I'm feeling energised again and ready for the week ahead.
- I should be meeting with the CEO of the big law firm near me tomorrow, big opportunity to get them results there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.