The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life Altering Choices - Yours?

G

Guest3722A

You are describing a "limiting belief" -- I hear that all the time when I get asked the perennial question "How much does something like that cost?". And when I tell them, I hear "Wow, thats more than my house - I could never afford that". When I hear this, I mentally shake my head in sadness that this person is already defeated, and his limited view of himself is weak.

Most often, it is our own minds that prevent us from succeeding ... limiting beliefs ... if only I was smarter, if only I could win the lottery, if only, if only.

You can achieve anything when you have the right recipe: Hard work fueled by education, faith (yes, Law of Attraction fans; for me faith in God) and a indestructible mindset that failure is merely a detour, a learning experience, to success.

Ground yourself in the peace of knowing that failure is always better than living with the regret of not trying. Get out there and do it -- its your dream and live every moment.

You know what's interesting, my LAC was to go back to church.

When I first went back I was at the absolute worst point of my life after losing my business and I had so much debt and literally nothing in my pocket...not even a dollar to buy a bean burrito.

But I prayed for help and direction and prayed for stability and to be able to work towards my vision.

From that point forward a friend of mine hired me and I worked hard and was soon able to buy that burrito and I continued going to church and praying to be successful and I remember that it was Easter Sunday of (2010) and my girlfriend and I had a fight so she went to church without me and I stayed home and watched a program on tv where the speaker listed God's path towards success and I googled some parts of it and was led to this web site.

Currently as many of you know, I opened a trading account and had placed my first trade in a long time yesterday. I am so much happier in my life now then I was before I went back.

I do not think that this path to where I'm being led is coincidence as the lessons I've learned here I believe are important for me to know for me to be able to advance towards my ultimate goal.

Anyway, that was my LAC

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lightweight99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 13, 2009
Kentucky
I was fired from my place of work 2 months ago and have since started building a custom pc to begin my business. I had ideas all the time but never acted on them. Being fired was a blessing in disguise. Although I despise the person who fired me considering I did nothing wrong, I have not looked back ever since.

A

Anon3587x

This forum was a LAC for me.
I used to wonder why I wanted to do so much more than everyone else.
When people would criticize me I'd let it get to me and wonder if I was aiming for dreams I'd never achieve.

But now it makes more logical sense I'll be ultra successful than anything. 5 or so years from now I can't imagine
it any other way.

The only thing that could prevent my success is myself, which to me means the cards are in my favor.

I've been making really great ground lately, I will have a great success story in less than 5 years but I'll try to be conservative.

camski

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jul 24, 2007
Noblesville, IN
My LAC was probably buying RDPD. It totally changed my perpspective of where I was at in life and where I was going. It got me off the sidelines from being a dreaming spectator and in the game as a doing player. Even though my first two deals were losers I learned so much from them that I am thankful that I failed. When I first read that book I was working at a job I hated making $48K a year and dreamed about owning my own company. Now I still have a day job but I enjoy it and make 6 figures. I own my own company, getting ready to start another one. I am in the game and loving it.

A

Anon3587x

One more thing I'd like to add.

I read RDPD when I was in boot camp and it had almost no effect on me. I felt as if it was saturated with way to much BS and I need lead by example information to really buy into it.

BUT....

at 8:00 PM I start reading MJ's story and Fastlane Theory

8:20 PM I finish reading MJ's story had instantaneous epiphany's. I knew without a doubt I would make it after that moment.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I picked up "Beating The Street" by Peter Lynch when I was 14 years old. That led me to learn how to read and interpret financial statements before I graduated high school. The stock and real estate markets became open books - easy to read and interpret. I started collecting assets.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Hrm. I feel every choice you make is life altering, though you may not recognize how. Today I made a series of LAC's. I chose to put the message to my alarm program that says "WAKE UP AND FIGHT!". I stole that from #33 on this list here, actually. http://www.scottberkun.com/blog/2010/woody-guthries-new-years-resolutions/ What kind of change will it make? Well, usually when I wake up I don't feel like bringing on the new day. Actually, I feel like I will feel that way when I go to sleep. But when I wake up? Nope. I tend to feel like sleeping, and dreaming is as important as saving a princess. So, if I read that message, tell it to myself, and it actually sinks in?

I also chose to not go out to eat delicious Chinese food with some of my family. My sinuses were bothering me very badly the other day.. The kind where even your ears feel a constant sort of scratching tickling. Yesterday it wasn't so bad anymore. Today, my nose was running all day and my stamina is down a little. So, I chose to stay back, do some light work, and have delicious, nutritious sleep. Perhaps I spared other people of a runny nose. This could affect them at work or home, and alter their lives. Perhaps I gave myself a boost to recover, which should affect mine. Maybe I missed out on hooking up with someone that would have been a blessing in my life. Don't know.

But maybe those aren't concrete enough for you? Alright. I was flirting with a girl for a while, but not really all that interested in her. Through me, she met a friend. Through him, she met my best friend who was living in Calgary. He wound up moving down here for two months to be with her. Next month they intend to move to Calgary. If I chose to invest more time and interest into her, things would certainly have been different.

Of course, most of you are hoping for the biggest life altering choice. So, since you were patient enough (or at least started reading when you skimmed this far) I shall tell you.
I would say my biggest LAC was coming to a belief that everything which happens provides the person you are today, and everything you've done shapes the people around you as well. Some people might take that in a negative connotation, but for me it means everything good that happened, or will happen, happened only because everything else happened as well. In a weird twisted sort of way, it forces me to respect myself. Because I can't disrespect myself without disrespecting everyone else I've ever come into contact with.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I read RDPD when I was in boot camp and it had almost no effect on me

Interesting; if someone asked me what my book was like, I'd say it was the bastard love child of RDPD, Your Money or Your Life (Robin and Dominquez) and 4HWW (Ferris).

8:20 PM I finish reading MJ's story had instantaneous epiphany's. I knew without a doubt I would make it after that moment.

That means a lot -- I really hope the book can accomplish the same effect.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
One of my life altering experiences was purchasing our first investment property when we were early 20's. My husband had heard that a local street was going to be turned into a divided highway. It was not out in the news yet so we made an offer on some land that was used as farm land we bought it for 2500.00 per acre we could only get 6 acres but it was seller carry with 500.00 down. 6 months later is was worth 10,000 per acre. We held the property & built commercial rentals on it the property has earned us enough for financial freedom and is worth a couple mil if we were to sell it. There were times when it was a strain to pay the monthly note at the beginning but even now with the economy issues and more vacancy than usual our rental income on this property has a good annual net.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
One of my life altering experiences was purchasing our first investment property when we were early 20's. My husband had heard that a local street was going to be turned into a divided highway. It was not out in the news yet so we made an offer on some land that was used as farm land we bought it for 2500.00 per acre we could only get 6 acres but it was seller carry with 500.00 down. 6 months later is was worth 10,000 per acre. We held the property & built commercial rentals on it the property has earned us enough for financial freedom and is worth a couple mil if we were to sell it. There were times when it was a strain to pay the monthly note at the beginning but even now with the economy issues and more vacancy than usual our rental income on this property has a good annual net.

nomad, welcome back!!!! I think it is very nice to see you around here again.

That is a very cool story, thanks for sharing.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Interesting; if someone asked me what my book was like, I'd say it was the bastard love child of RDPD, Your Money or Your Life (Robin and Dominquez) and 4HWW (Ferris).

That means a lot -- I really hope the book can accomplish the same effect.

Well if it's anything like these forums, it'll be great! How it sells comes down to the marketing and how well we, as forum members can help evangelize the message :)

As far as my LAC, I've had too many false alarms, but last week will hopefully be the one that sets me off for good... after avoiding scales for good reason, I finally stepped on and was horrified to find that I weighed 274lbs!!!! This after I thought the highest I could get was the 265 I was halfway through my frosh yr of college after way too many ramen noodles, fried food and cafeteria "sundaes"(as well as quitting football and little to no physical activity). Anyways, since that moment I've been "cutting the fat", using my juicer EVERY day and I got on my bike and did 23 miles, since then I've made a point to do either a 1hr bike ride OR 30-35 minute run every day since.

Hopefully this will be a LAC and not just another false alarm.

In addition, like MJ, my wife and I will be moving to Phoenix(only part-time for now as our tax preparation business there is seasonal and we still have family back in Chicago) in November.

BTW I was wondering since some Fastlaners have been through a series of MLM scams, did you ever have LAC as a result of one of these jobs?

I know the Fastlane is about selling the MLM and not buying into it, however, it seems that experience in an MLM and how it's run can help build business skills to either build your own MLM or non-MLM business.

The reason I ask is because I never bought into any myself(although I was close on Quixtar) and haven't really gotten too involved with any of the jobs I've had and feel that it hurts my perspective on what it takes to really get a business up and running :(

So on that front, I have yet to have my financial LAC, but I'm hoping that experiencing a tax season will be all I need to either develop a successful S-business for part of the year and/or build a B-business from the experience.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
My LAC was easy:

Understanding that freedom is more worth than materialistic things. No job feels better than job to buy things.

Love this thread!

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Attempting suicide, easily.

Much easier to just take control of your life when you've already almost ended it. The worst thing that can happen is death, and you very nearly did that to yourself. So what the F*ck can anyone else possibly have on you?! :p

I always wondered if suicides have a brief instant before death when they feel like complete total morons for doing what they did. And there I was in the hospital, in total agony, every wire and tube in the world hooked up to me, and someone (my dad?) asked my doctor what to expect, and I heard it. And I remember just staring up at the ceiling and feeling like THE BIGGEST F*ckING MORON. I didn't make any grand pronouncements about how I'd change my act if I lived, I just remember my blood boiling with how moronic I felt.

There really is no reason to always shortchange yourself, to not take action. I think of that ceiling at least once a day, and I have come to love it. When I hesitate in doing whatever, I remember that ceiling. I've gotten more mileage out of that moment than any other in my life.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Mine came when I started reading self improvement books. Think and Grow Rich, Rich Dad Poor Dad, The Millionaire Fastlane are the 3 books that got my mind in the right balance to succeed. Now it's not a matter of if I will be wealthy but how soon and that all depends on how hard I work towards my goal so it's all in my hands.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Much easier to just take control of your life when you've already almost ended it. The worst thing that can happen is death, and you very nearly did that to yourself. So what the F*ck can anyone else possibly have on you?! :p

I always wondered if suicides have a brief instant before death when they feel like complete total morons for doing what they did. And there I was in the hospital, in total agony, every wire and tube in the world hooked up to me, and someone (my dad?) asked my doctor what to expect, and I heard it. And I remember just staring up at the ceiling and feeling like THE BIGGEST F*ckING MORON. I didn't make any grand pronouncements about how I'd change my act if I lived, I just remember my blood boiling with how moronic I felt.

There really is no reason to always shortchange yourself, to not take action. I think of that ceiling at least once a day, and I have come to love it. When I hesitate in doing whatever, I remember that ceiling. I've gotten more mileage out of that moment than any other in my life.

Fastlane opportunity: talk about it, on the road. Sounds morbid but you could help a lot of people out.

Suicide is a huge problem. One of my friends lost a sister due to it. You'd do well in Japan and South Korea, where suicides are as common as rain showers.

As far as LAC's, I had a few of em. I was depressed when I was 16. My dog and my grandfather had both just passed and I had zero (count em, ZERO) friends. I talked to nobody except my mother, father and grandmother for three months.

I came out of that depression hungry like the wolf. Don't remember how or what I did, but I ended up getting two girlfriends in a few months. The second one, I met on the Internet, and I'm still with.

I'm no master with girls, of course, but meeting the first one really boosted my confidence. When I realized at the late-bloomer age of 16 that there could possibly exist a girl who would actually like me, it was like... a WHOLE NEW WOOOOOORLD

My second LAC was going to visit said girlfriend. I was never allowed to leave the house in high school. But, one day, I left my country with nothing but some clothes, about $1500 and an address. Took charge of my life. Decided not to let anyone dictate my path.

While on that trip, I read The Millionaire Fastlane .

Best two weeks of my LIFE.

It resulted into me moving to Ontario. They say to move for a girl is a dumb idea, but I'm staying here for a few years, no matter what she does. I like Toronto. It doesn't have that underlying awfulness that NYC does.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Simple one: Losing weight.

Losing weight is ENTIRELY a mindset issue, not a physically impossible feat. It is the classic mental mountain in your way.

I used to weigh nothing - like 120 pounds soaking wet. My metabolism stopped racing when I hit my mid 20s and I slowly ballooned up to almost 200 pounds. I had fatty rolls, my breath was shorter and I felt like a slob. Rather than blame everything but myself, I just changed. What's better is I did it WITHOUT forcing my wife to change her eating habits (a common issue people face).

I stopped ordering fast food (even when my wife still got some), I cut down on junk food, started eating "real" food, made my own lunches and reduced portions. Within 3 months I dropped 50 pounds safely and am pretty happy where I am.

I'm hardly a "Macho Man" but everyone who rolled their eyes at my weight loss plans was suddenly saying "How did you lose that much weight?!?!". When I told them it amounted to conscious effort and willpower they stopped listening - You could see their eyes gloss over when the answer wasn't "effortless pixie dust".

Next up: regular exercise & income replacement.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas

It's crazy how much this resonates with me. It was right before I started my business when I was 13. I never talk to anyone about it but it's a life-changer. There's so much we can do in this life and I felt like an idiot afterwards.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Mine was actually reading TMF , which was 1 year ago, because it changed the way I think. It also inspired me to start making Fastlane decisions, such as not counting my house in my net worth, investing in notes and working towards a Fastlane business.

Before TMF , I was actually closed off to reading RDPD because of all of the Amway people trying to shove it down my throat years ago. After reading TMF, I read RDPD and it opened my eyes even more.

I have a newborn son and look forward to the day he reads TMF. Thank you for all of the value you provide, MJ!

Life Altering Choices (LACs) are choices you make that take your life in an entirely different direction.

If you analyze your past, you'll find they are littered with decisions that take your life into different directions. Some of these crucial choices are "Life Altering".

Looking back into your past, what "Life Altering Choices" have you made?

What was it? Where did it take you? Where would you be if you didn't make that choice?

In reading AJGlobal's story, years ago he made a choice to contact his friend in Vegas. Where would he be if he didn't make that choice? If he chose something different?

Years ago, I chose to move to Phoenix from Chicago. If I didn't make that choice, and chose to continue to live in Chicago, my life would be so different. In fact, I'd speculate that I might even be dead, or working some meaningless job strung out on anti-depressants. My choice to move out of Chicago, was a Life Altering Choice.

This post is an exercise in discovering your Life Altering Choice(s).

• Have you made any recently?
  • Years ago?
  • Planning to make one?
If you don't have any, or can't find one, perhaps its time you make one?
Is not making one holding you back?

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
When I figure it out that there was nothing wrong with me for falling asleep in my first engineering corporate america internship... I discovered that most jobs are boring, no matter how great they sound in the job description.
Doesn't matter I slept 8 hours, drink black coffee, I was falling asleep and it was painful/sad.

That's when I started consuming self-help stuff and eventually lead me to MJs books, I resonated with 'going all in for your goals" and not so much on "save 10% of your paycheck"

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, holy epic old thread Batman! But still relevant today, tomorrow, and ten years from now.

Choice = Your steering wheel!

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
The number one thing for me is trusting my own mind and gut instinct. Always questioning EVERYTHING. From my habits, thoughts, peer group, mindset, environment, my opinions on things. A lot of it was trying to understand reality as it is (which is impossible but I’m going to try my best) and not let my ego or narcissism or the opinions of others get in the way.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Simple one: Losing weight.
I'm hardly a "Macho Man" but everyone who rolled their eyes at my weight loss plans was suddenly saying "How did you lose that much weight?!?!". When I told them it amounted to conscious effort and willpower they stopped listening - You could see their eyes gloss over when the answer wasn't "effortless pixie dust".

Man I know that all too well, it's funny how the event v.s. process mentality is present in all aspects of life. It's all about patient perseverance. My experience was very similar actually. Losing weight was it at the start, but now i'm looking to increasing my muscle mass as well. Physical health is very important and i've seen how the path to becoming fit has aided me in other parts of my life.

Another would be reading Millionaire FastLane , changed my mentality about life. It changed my priorities, it even changed my friends and the people that surround me! Impressive perspectives here.

Xolorr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
520%
Jun 4, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Mine's a bit weird, I know.

It was choosing to blindly follow my (at the time) high school sweetheart girlfriend, and move cities together. She was going to college there, and I was self-studying, so essentially could've gone anywhere I wanted.

As soon as I got there she started treating me terribly. A month into it she dumped me, without really giving a reason. She had an established social circle and life through college, and I was struggling to get on my feet. Left me broken, but made me realize that my happiness (and life control) was solely based on her.

I vowed from then on to control my happiness and my life.

Since I've had the craziest 4 months of my life. Started freelancing, met some amazing people, had crazy experiences, I've just started my first (proper) business, and just booked a flight to Europe. I'll be traveling (for free) due to my personal brand and connections I've made in freelancing. Although I'm not making much money yet, I feel like I've somewhat escaped the script at 19. None of this would've happened if I stayed in that relationship.

I bumped into my ex less than a month back, turns out she isn't doing so good.
Funny how life works.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
- Eliminating sugars from my diet
- Getting down to 10% body fat
- Standing up for myself and putting myself first
- Cutting out people who are not good for me
- Reading books from brutally honest people that helps me make the best decisions that shape my future
- Realizing people are just that, people. Celebrities or those who have achieved massive amounts have the SAME insecurities as you, they just pushed through it. That is what makes them human and so admirable. So get off your a$$ and do the same!

VIVEKSINGHJADONS

VSJ
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Sep 18, 2018
India
MY LAC
TO leave the job and start my business back in 2010. I knew nothing about business but I just started it. After some of life's greatest setbacks and failures, I had settled in my business. Everything is going smooth till now, but because the business was not well thought out it reached it's saturation stage, although it provides me some good money and a good real estate investment, it is not exciting anymore. So another LAC is on the way in the near future.

Intax

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2016
Munich, Germany
Life Altering Choices (LACs) are choices you make that take your life in an entirely different direction.

If you analyze your past, you'll find they are littered with decisions that take your life into different directions. Some of these crucial choices are "Life Altering".

What was it? Where did it take you? Where would you be if you didn't make that choice?

In reading AJGlobal's story, years ago he made a choice to contact his friend in Vegas. Where would he be if he didn't make that choice? If he chose something different?

Years ago, I chose to move to Phoenix from Chicago. If I didn't make that choice, and chose to continue to live in Chicago, my life would be so different. In fact, I'd speculate that I might even be dead, or working some meaningless job strung out on anti-depressants. My choice to move out of Chicago, was a Life Altering Choice.

• Years ago?
  • Planning to make one?

The biggest life altering choice I've experienced happened in my youth. I think I was 15 years old and went often into the library to borrow DVDs and games. For some reason I stumbled to the books section and happend to pick up a book. Before this day I have never read a book voulantarily and this choice impacted my life forever.
I lost myself into self help and business books and developed myself tremendously.
Thanks to MJ and this forum I am on my way to publish my first real project.

Without this decision I would probably be like many of my friends from that time. Living in the day without thinking to deeply and with a life which is being lead by society and not by me.

Now the harder question: should I make any LACs? Is something holding me back?

Right now I have to alter my priorities. I changed my contract at work so I can spend more time on my project but currently I'm spending much time with friends and traveling. I've never had a big work attitude but I know without it I won't be a able to reach the goal I set for myself.

I'm not sure if this is a LACs but it's definitely holding me back. I will change my focus. Not next month, not next week or tomorrow. Today. Now!

Thanks MJ for asking these questions - I have the feeling that thinking about questions like this are way more effective than just reading thoughts from other people.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Many mini-episodes i my life.

-I went to an elite secondary school where everyone is smart. But soon you realized that being smart is not enough as everyone worked hard.

-In college I was introduced to books written by Calvin Newport. Big game changer for people seeking excellence in academia.

-The dude who started Kinobody online. This young dude has a good body and making big bucks from it. I should have no excuse in at least being lean. I started calories counting.

-MJ, Jordan Belfort and Dan Lok. These are the recent inspirations for me as they teach business, sales and entrepreneurship

-“The game of numbers: professional prospecting” by Nick Murray. It’s a book dedicated to my niche now as I am hitting a ceiling in my performance. I believe it will create an aha moment on my sales result soon.

DaDream

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 24, 2019
Miami Florida

• Years ago?
  • Planning to make one?

I have had a few of these.

1- Decided to go to University to get a degree in computer engineering. High School was super easy for me. I did very little study yet I aced most classes (except for algebra 2 honors)

2- 2nd year of university I was still doing the simple classes. Doing well with very little study. Hard classes kicked in and I had become a gym rat. GPA started dropping to the point I was to get kicked out.

3- That Summer I spent my time reading and learning 8-10 hours every single day. My mind became malleable. Is like I had more ram storage and bigger hard drive. Came back to Univ and ended up graduating with 3.1 GPA a couple of years later and helped a bunch of my peers back then understand a lot of challenging topics. I was a full-time student and money came from grants & loans.

4- After graduation, I found myself 30k in debt. No income. And I had six months to start paying back. Spent a good 20 hours building a good resume so a month after graduation I was to start my first real job in corporate America testing aircraft applications. I felt as my mind and my soul slowly died. The culture at that company was really bad. But hey! I had to pay the bills I chose to go to school so 9 months into my job I was "Free" from debt. Quitted that job a month afterward 2k in the bank.

5- Spent the next 9 months learning about e-commerce, digital marketing and building an online business. I tried and tested everything I could but nothing would work. I made a website and a blog to which I drove some 100,000+ users. The only good thing that came from it is I found people who were willing to send me free products so I could post about them on that website. Few of them would pay commissions as well. Later I came to realize most online businesses/brands take at least 3 years to start building a good online reputation.

9 months was not enough to make anything good of it. I later came to find this study: We Analyzed 912 Million Blog Posts. Here's What We Learned About Content Marketing

By their accounts, I was killing it because I actually got some engagement/shares in multiple of the posts I made but I had clearly picked the wrong niche to be in.

6- By the end of those 9 months, it was clear I needed to do something else. The dream had died. I was defeated. Exhausted. Burned out. I picked myself up so I went on job interviews with some software companies. No offers. I altered my resume and tried to land a job having to do with e-commerce. Three days later I was interviewed. I showed that old website I had (2nd good thing that came from it). BOOM landed the job @ (17/h). By this point, I had been living on credit card debt. Since I had paid my school loans so quickly I had an amazing credit score and some of the best credit cards that offered 0% APR for 1-2 years. I needed to start paying my debt soon, had like 4 months left.

7- I failed but I learned from my failures. Applied every trick in the book I learned at my new workplace. The brand recovered and is growing again. The VP left and now I'm there covering most of what he did at a rate which honestly is shit for the value I'm bringing to the company.

8- Found the TFLF! As soon as I saw a few threads on here I could tell a lot of the people here were legit and not marketers just trying to scam me out of my money. I have been studying this forum very closely and the people that participate in it. I know this is a gold mine and there are many great people contributing. My goal now is to learn enough so I can build a system which is scalable around a niche (or microniche) which finally taps into the FASTLANE universe. I'm organizing all the good information I come across using trello and I will one day (if things work out) share with this community what I found which was useful. Right now my goal is to keep learning and keep doing. Keep sharpening my skills and see where I land from here.

If I have learned something. Learn from experience. Learn from doing. Be willing to fail. Fail a lot. Fail fast. Strings of failures turn in small wins that compound to success. Life can be unfair. Learn from every situation. Adapt and overcome.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.