The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lead gen oversaturated?

rickylafleur

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2020
I was talking with someone who said lead gen is oversaturated.
I’m looking for a good side hustle and was looking into various lead gen courses, like on Udemy or google maps cash.
Is this still worth pursuing? I want to have income coming in during grad school so I have more time for my studies.
Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’m looking for a good side hustle and was looking into various lead gen courses, like on Udemy or google maps cash.
Is this still worth pursuing? I want to have income coming in during grad school so I have more time for my studies.
Thanks
What do they mean by “lead gen” when they say it’s oversaturated? Generating leads and selling them? Generating leads for clients? Generating leads for our own businesses? I guess they meant selling the leads.

Plenty of businesses pay for leads/sales - on Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Groupon, Amazon, radio, TV, newspapers, flyers, etc. If you can do a better job and/or reduce the headache for a business then I’d guess there’s always going to be a market.

Lots of businesses hurting at the moment. I’m curious though why your friend says it’s oversaturated.

(Note that I don’t sell leads, but I do generate them.)

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
the competition is definitely higher than it was 5 years ago. Those who specialize and follow through for their customers still do fine.

Most people who will buy have been burned. You will need to go through a lot of rejection and follow up to make it work.

rickylafleur

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 8, 2020
What do they mean by “lead gen” when they say it’s oversaturated? Generating leads and selling them? Generating leads for clients? Generating leads for our own businesses? I guess to sell the leads?

Plenty of businesses pay for leads/sales - on Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Groupon, Amazon, radio, TV, newspapers, flyers, etc. If you can do a better job and/or reduce the headache for a business then I’d guess there’s always going to be a market.

Lots of businesses hurting at the moment. I’m curious though why your friend says it’s oversaturated.

(Note that I don’t sell leads, but I do generate them.)
When I say lead gen I basically mean finding a business that doesn’t have a website and getting them a good GMB listing and making them a website and renting it out to them because it sends them leads. I think that’s how it works - I’m still a newbie.

basically rank and rent I guess?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Thanks
Very big question that covers a lot of sector.

Since I am in sales and I bought leads before I will answer from my angle.

The root problem is buyers of leads or business that spends budget on advertising are seeing decreasing roi from buying leads or spent money on advertising.

One common suspect is that become they are too many people trying to do leads generation or advertising. But I think it is less of that.

The overall deeper macroeconomic force is at work, is the worsening bargaining power between business (seller) and mass market buyers.

If you look at the overall macro business landscape who is making all the money, its the mega-corporations and small-mid sized business who sell to mega-corporations (b2b). We are increasingly facing a winner take all economy.

But most retail consumers are not employee of mega-corporations, and most small business are not contractors servicing mega-corporation, they are facing an issue of a declining budget size to purchase products or services, since they arent making too much money too.

So when you are selling to “poor people” they are going to to cost sensitive. So instead of spending a load of money to a third party to attract them, I would rather want to slash price and launch promotion to attract them.

There is simply not enough “meat in the game” to afford to a third party (be it advertiser or lead generator) to take a cut.

Last edited:

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,184%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I'd say it's saturated in certain niches because Tai Lopez created a legion of 17 year olds telling them they can become millionaires instantly by creating a social media marketing agency.

If you go for a non-Tai Lopez niche and have a unique angle you'll have no problem getting customers. You just have to think outside the box and don't follow what those lame courses tell you to do. If you follow a course then you're following the sheep and you won't stand out when doing outreach.

You're going to think I'm full of crap but I get a 60% response rate to my cold emails by offering an insane angle. It's essentially, "If you don't make money I'll give you a full refund plus send $1k cash for wasting your time". You have to be super picky with who you pick to work with to make that type of guarantee though because some clients can be nitpicky nightmares.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I'd say it's saturated in certain niches because Tai Lopez created a legion of 17 year olds telling them they can become millionaires instantly by creating a social media marketing agency.

If you go for a non-Tai Lopez niche and have a unique angle you'll have no problem getting customers. You just have to think outside the box and don't follow what those lame courses tell you to do. If you follow a course then you're following the sheep and you won't stand out when doing outreach.

You're going to think I'm full of crap but I get a 60% response rate to my cold emails by offering an insane angle. It's essentially, "If you don't make money I'll give you a full refund plus send $1k cash for wasting your time". You have to be super picky with who you pick to work with to make that type of guarantee though because some clients can be nitpicky nightmares.

A dolphin dropping .... KNAWLEDGE.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany

Which are Tai Lopez Niches?

Dentists ,Plumbers and Roofers? :D

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Lead generation is definitely not oversaturated. I'd say the only thing that's truly over saturated is affiliate marketing...but even then you get some people who find obscure niches and make it work.

At the end of the day it all comes down to mindset...I'd wonder what your friend would say about real estate, amazon fba, drop shipping, affiliate marketing, social media marketing, etc...

I think we'd find it's more where his/her mind is programmed if anything.

vaibhav

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Dec 28, 2020
India
I don't think lead generation is oversaturated because I have been seeing a lot of people starting businesses in the last year and they were actually successful but i believe, you have to be 'super-niche-ed'.

Niche based lead generation, that may have the potential.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
^ agreed. You almost have to find niches within niches. This works for local, but is hard as hell if you tried FBA or some other dropshipping variant.

nothingness

I make great coffee
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Mar 3, 2021
UK
I hope not, because lead gen is one of the side hustles I want to do to generate cashflow. My goal is to lead gen for prehistoric big giant kind of businesses, the unsexy boring ones. What I read in the Icecreamkid threads matches what I have talked to the odd person about at the golf driving range; there's huge potential for "new age" marketing for old age companies, whether that is lead gen for existing businesses or creating your own business in those verticals.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Thanks
Not at all. Businesses need help with their digital stuff more than ever.

Is it competitive? Yes it is. You got to really know what you're doing as it's a lucrative thing for newbies with little to no experience. Just like how Crypto is the big thing now where all the pelicans go today.

There are people who've got over 10-15 years of experience with digital ads and generating leads, these are the so called early adopters. They're like in the top 1-2% of lead generators. These are the guys who are great at what they do. And if you're just starting out, you got no chance against them.

The rest 98% are good-average to bad(mostly bad), and many companies have worked with those bad guys so they're gonna be probably a little reluctant to your idea since they hear the same spiel everyday. These companies get bombarded with FB ads or "Do you want to get more appointments?" type of pitches constantly.

But at the same time, almost any industry today is somewhat competitive. You just got to be better and that's it. In my experience niches like dentists, restaurants, lawyers, gyms, clinics(beauty salons also) are the most competitive, since everyone targets them to start with.

If you approach niches that are somewhat less competitive, you niche down(and stay to your niche, as it's easy to replicate what you've done, you'll get more leverage as you go) and approach your potential leads with a unique angle that makes them say: "Wow, this dude's different. He's not like all these other fb ad marketers. I want to do business with him!", then you'll kill it. :)

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If something is saturated it just means you're even more valuable if you can be heard above the noise.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 2, 2023
I am thinking this is a very good idea. I just have no idea how it could be automated. A lot of businesses have problems finding leads or just find it annoying. Would this have to be software?

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.