The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

just starting...

Idea threads

Sasha123456789

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 6, 2022
Hi, I just wanted to start off by saying that this forum is an excellent place and I feel very lucky to have found it. At the moment I'm a software engineer in Brighton and I have a few business ideas I've started to develop: in the hopes of determining the singular idea that I should dedicate myself to. The problem I'm facing is the classic; business development being slowed down due to the amount of time that a 9-5 demands so I want to switch to a high paying freelance skill (it can require knowledge or an expensive piece of kit), to give me more time to develop the business/appropriate skills -as explained in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_58zPgArb4

I'm not confident enough in my coding ability yet to be a freelance programmer so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions with regards to high paying jobs in 2022 in England?

thank you very much for taking the time to read this

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The WolfPreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 26, 2022
India
Getting a job is about having a great attitude, winning the trust of employer and showing you can do the work. Andrei Neagoie has made a fantastic course on getting a high-paid six-figure job, he has already helped hundreds of people to do so.

But I don't want you get trapped in rat-race for life(that sucks), your main purpose is to start a business as you said. So it's better that you focus on improving your programming skill 1% everyday, soon you can get high-paying freelance client. In the beginning, you have to start with low-paying clients, yes you may've heard of people making $10,000 per month doing freelancing but in reality they've invested a lot of time(few months if state specifically) doing that earlier before they received that big success.

You may get self-doubt in the beginning saying, "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY ENOUGH". Ignore them because every successful people had them in their journey but they took action and made it happen. And YOU CAN DO IT TOO.

Sasha123456789

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 6, 2022
Getting a job is about having a great attitude, winning the trust of employer and showing you can do the work. Andrei Neagoie has made a fantastic course on getting a high-paid six-figure job, he has already helped hundreds of people to do so.

But I don't want you get trapped in rat-race for life(that sucks), your main purpose is to start a business as you said. So it's better that you focus on improving your programming skill 1% everyday, soon you can get high-paying freelance client. In the beginning, you have to start with low-paying clients, yes you may've heard of people making $10,000 per month doing freelancing but in reality they've invested a lot of time(few months if state specifically) doing that earlier before they received that big success.

You may get self-doubt in the beginning saying, "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY ENOUGH". Ignore them because every successful people had them in their journey but they took action and made it happen. And YOU CAN DO IT TOO.
Thank you so much-that is a very well thought out answer and I completely agree with it.

The exact questions I’d hugely appreciate any insight on are:
1) Which software areas/languages/projects/courses will help me develop the skills for becoming both a: i) valuable/highly paid freelancer and ii) business developer? (because the software skills required for my ideas vary from idea to idea, 50% of my ideas are not software related, and I’m not in the freelance software world yet so I don’t have much knowledge on what’s highly paid).
2) Is there any highly paid work I could start now that would allow me the time to develop software skills? (because I’d prefer to develop software skills whilst I’m a highly paid freelancer in an lower entry field as opposed to 9-5, purely due to the aspect of time so that I could develop my software skills faster, if the option is there).

hexelbyte

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
May 31, 2021
Houston, TX
I'm currently a Software Developer full time in the States.

I disagree with the "I don't have time" statement.

When I get home, after daily maintenance, I generally have 3-4 hours of free time.
During this time, I would work on my project for 1-2 hours (Remember, I work full time).

On top of this, the last 2 months I also worked on getting my Real Estate license (passed exam already; took me 6 weeks).

If you really want to make things happen, just do it.
Remember this, while people are watching Netflix and playing games - someone is doing something big.
It's all in the head.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sasha123456789

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 6, 2022

When I get home, after daily maintenance, I generally have 3-4 hours of free time.
During this time, I would work on my project for 1-2 hours (Remember, I work full time).

On top of this, the last 2 months I also worked on getting my Real Estate license (passed exam already; took me 6 weeks).

Remember this, while people are watching Netflix and playing games - someone is doing something big.
It's all in the head.
I completely agree- thank you for the reminder it really means a lot that you took the time to write that because I needed to hear it.

Here’s a few details I very almost put in the first post but I was fearful of making the post too long: I don’t think my software 9-5 is helping me develop freelance skills or skills needed for any of my business ideas. My job is in model based systems design, with barely any coding involved, in a highly monopolized market (airplane engines). Even though it is for a top company it's average pay and it isn't the joy of my life. So I'm thinking why not do a freelance gig that pays just as much for less time (if it's possible hence questions 1+2). I’m happy to do the long hours and give up the social life. However another (and much greater) loss of my time is the 9-5 that is time consuming and ultimately is making me unhappy purely because I’m not learning the skills I need to start my business. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the 9-5 that will help me acquire the most skills in the shortest space of time and therefore will be the most effective way, is a 9-5 developing my skills as I develop the business ideas whilst working freelance.

Last edited:

MrE

Be. Create. Repeat.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 26, 2021
Colorado

It's all in the head.
Congrats on putting in the time and effort!

I concur! Whatever available time we have is the reality of our individual situations. I have two teen boys at home, a girlfriend and I work about 60 hours a week at my job. I get home around 730 pm M-F and I am exhausted with little energy to do anything but eat and go to bed. Which I do some nights with no guilt. But most nights I put in at least an hour or two towards my business. I have a short list of what needs to be done so I focus the best I can for as long as I can before getting some shut-eye.

I had a talk with my boys and my girlfriend about what I am doing with the business and they are supportive and encouraging. We agreed to set time each weekend to do something together and to also allow me at least 10 hours on the weekend to work on the biz. They are a big part of my 'Why'.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.