The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just got off one of the worst sales calls ever...

Marketing, social media, advertising

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'm going all in on content creation for the next few years so I've been on a tear. Hiring team members. Finding the best coaches and consultants. Networking with the people who are just a few steps ahead of me and can show me the path...

I found a coach (you'd call him a guru) I like. He's only about a year or two ahead of me. Has 200x my results in this field. I like his content, super down to earth, and overall good guy. Heard a lot of good things from friends of friends.

So I book the sales call and one of his sales team comes on...

... ten minutes late...

... didn't read my intake form...

... had no clue what we were there to talk about (he tried to talk me into some other real estate thing first)...

... no slide deck, no visuals, no nothing (on zoom)...

He asked the worst possible questions (granted, I've taught a lot of sales so MOST calls are brutal to sit through)...

Anyways... the price for the coaching program? 25k.

And I have no idea what I get for it. Because the sales guy was SO horrible.

Worst part is I think I'm still going to buy it -- but I'll be damned if this guy gets any commission for this joke of a presentation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Did you let him know about all this at the end of the call? In sales communities its not unheard of to provide relevant feedback about a call, to the caller. Whether it be a cold call or a sales meeting, it would likely help the guy out in the future.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm going all in on content creation for the next few years so I've been on a tear. Hiring team members. Finding the best coaches and consultants. Networking with the people who are just a few steps ahead of me and can show me the path...

I found a coach (you'd call him a guru) I like. He's only about a year or two ahead of me. Has 200x my results in this field. I like his content, super down to earth, and overall good guy. Heard a lot of good things from friends of friends.

... ten minutes late...

... had no clue what we were there to talk about (he tried to talk me into some other real estate thing first)...

He asked the worst possible questions (granted, I've taught a lot of sales so MOST calls are brutal to sit through)...

Worst part is I think I'm still going to buy it -- but I'll be damned if this guy gets any commission for this joke of a presentation.
What. Just. Happened?

They say the easiest person to sell as a salesperson. Now I know this to be true.

Did you let him know about all this at the end of the call? In sales communities its not unheard of to provide relevant feedback about a call, to the caller. Whether it be a cold call or a sales meeting, it would likely help the guy out in the future.

I would agree with this, if the guy was a person of substance. Maybe he's new on the job. Maybe he was poorly trained. That's not his fault.

But he was late for the call. Because of that, I suspect that any help Steve would provide the guy would just fall on deaf ears.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, I'm surprised you rewarded incompetence.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

No. I'm a little sick so I have a bad attitude.

I love people to death, you know... but to be an a**hole for a moment: is it really my job to fix every bad salesperson?

I would agree with this, if the guy was a person of substance. Maybe he's new on the job. Maybe he was poorly trained. That's not his fault.

But he was late for the call. Because of that, I suspect that any help Steve would provide the guy would just fall on deaf ears.

Poorly trained is one thing, he was completely unprepared. Maybe preparation should be part of his training!

What. Just. Happened?

They say the easiest person to sell as a salesperson. Now I know this to be true.

Wow, I'm surprised you rewarded incompetence.

I want to work with his boss, not him.

I haven't paid just yet. I'm going to try to get in touch with the guy first to make sure I'm getting him -- and this guy gets no commission because of it :rofl:

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

... ten minutes late...

I'll post my thoughts just to give you something to consider...

It sounds to me like you have a dilemma, whereas what you really need is a choice. So currently your options are:
a) Buy from the coach/guru.
b) Don't buy from the coach/guru.

What I suggest is that you take some time to find someone else as skilled as the coach/guru you are currently approaching and then try to obtain a quote for the training / mentoring / whatever it is that you seek, from the second person.

This should give you three options. (Use first guru / Use second guru / Do nothing).

Theoretically; you should feel more empowered and less emotional about making your decision once you have more options.
Hope this helps you or someone else in some way.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Isn't that sales person a reflection of the guy you're hiring? The ultimate responsibility for his poor performance is with the boss. Is there not another coach/consultant you could work with where it's not in spite of their sales process?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ohhh, I get it now - you're going to sell them on how to improve their sales process! Smart.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Isn't that sales person a reflection of the guy you're hiring? The ultimate responsibility for his poor performance is with the boss. Is there not another coach/consultant you could work with where it's not in spite of their sales process?

Meh, I don't think so. We had a LOT of shitty salespeople at the Robbins company.

No matter HOW good you are, you're going to have an 80/20 or 90/10.

I'd challenge anybody to show me a perfect team... or even a good one...

Ohhh, I get it now - you're going to sell them on how to improve their sales process! Smart.
That WAS one of my big thoughts.

"You know what, I'm gonna pay you 25k... I charge 17.5k/month for consulting now, what if I gave you 2 months and you let me in the program free?"

I could definitely get his sales team whipped into shape. His marketing is solid. Processes leading up to it was good, it was human error here.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022

... ten minutes late...

Is the mentorship planned to be with the "guru" or with the sales guy?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.