The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rejected from one of the worst colleges in my state

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Creative Pursuit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Apr 10, 2021
It was around 5pm when I received the application letter, I was feeling very confident a self assured of myself. That college is know to have a high admissions rate, but its nationally ranked near the bottom. My GPA was bellow average nationally, but was the average GPA for that school. I went to my kitchen to get my pre celebratory cheese cake for 99% getting admitted, thinking my essay was enough to satisfy their office of admissions, but a rude awakening was about to occur.

I slowly pulled the paper out of that dirty yellow, anticipating an expected outcome. Then I read the message "Dear Creative Pursuit, we regret to inform you that your application has been rejected. We get a lot of applications and your resume was just not strong enough for our program. We advise you to pursue community college and apply next year". I was devastated, basically reading that as " Hey Creative Pursuit, we're one of worst colleges in this state, with high admissions rates, your resume was garbage, go to some d rate community college loser!". I felt my self esteem actively leave my body, " Am I a complete idiot", " Should I even try", " How will me and my family financial survive" were all questions I asked myself. Not only was I getting rejected by people I had a crush on, school parties, but now f rate colleges. Maybe it was the fact that I failed that statistics course with that terrible teacher, maybe it was me dating for 4 months that got me side tracked, maybe I always sucked..... at everything.

Some of may relate to the feeling that I expressed. I want to let you know that, creativity is key. My math skills suck, but I can speed-run writing an above essay in around 2 hours. Hard skills may get you the job, but soft skills get you through life. No matter how hard you try, you can't predict the future. I'm currently in the phase of deciding what to do next, whether to pursue community college, go into a trade, or say f it and start a business. This is advise I always tell myself when my confidence lowers. I hope some of you guys learn from this message.

P.S
If your 17 or younger, pursue dual enrollment at high school, its my biggest regret

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

So after one "no" you're just going to throw in the towel?

Email, Call, make them answer as to why they said no. Be annoying as F*ck.
Remember there's a human on the other side of that letter.

Sure you might suck at the things you've mentioned, but even if their decision is final, you'll never know what you can improve on if you don't ask.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
You are young, you don't need to have all the answers right away. But here are some things to think about..

What do you really want out of life? No generic answers. Be specific.

When you answer that question, work backwards from there and figure out how to achieve it.

If you don't know where you are going then its pretty damn hard figuring out how to get there... imagine trying to drive from Pennsylvania to California without knowing how to get there. Definitely possible, put you are probably just better off putting your destination in Google Maps.

Figure out your destination and start driving.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Community college may be a blessing for you, especially now, with most colleges being 100% online.

It's an excellent time to complete your general education requirements in the comfort of your home at a lower cost.

Plus, if you're able to focus, you'll be able to learn more relevant information for your entrepreneurial pursuits and act on them.

What can you do now? Improve.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd frame the letter and hang it on my wall.

Use it as motivation.

When you succeed, I would send them a "thank you" note for the rejection.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

It was around 5pm when I received the application letter, I was feeling very confident a self assured of myself. That college is know to have a high admissions rate, but its nationally ranked near the bottom. My GPA was bellow average nationally, but was the average GPA for that school. I went to my kitchen to get my pre celebratory cheese cake for 99% getting admitted, thinking my essay was enough to satisfy their office of admissions, but a rude awakening was about to occur.

I slowly pulled the paper out of that dirty yellow, anticipating an expected outcome. Then I read the message "Dear Creative Pursuit, we regret to inform you that your application has been rejected. We get a lot of applications and your resume was just not strong enough for our program. We advise you to pursue community college and apply next year". I was devastated, basically reading that as " Hey Creative Pursuit, we're one of worst colleges in this state, with high admissions rates, your resume was garbage, go to some d rate community college loser!". I felt my self esteem actively leave my body, " Am I a complete idiot", " Should I even try", " How will me and my family financial survive" were all questions I asked myself. Not only was I getting rejected by people I had a crush on, school parties, but now f rate colleges. Maybe it was the fact that I failed that statistics course with that terrible teacher, maybe it was me dating for 4 months that got me side tracked, maybe I always sucked..... at everything.

Some of may relate to the feeling that I expressed. I want to let you know that, creativity is key. My math skills suck, but I can speed-run writing an above essay in around 2 hours. Hard skills may get you the job, but soft skills get you through life. No matter how hard you try, you can't predict the future. I'm currently in the phase of deciding what to do next, whether to pursue community college, go into a trade, or say f it and start a business. This is advise I always tell myself when my confidence lowers. I hope some of you guys learn from this message.

P.S
If your 17 or younger, pursue dual enrollment at high school, its my biggest regret
This is exactly the type of thing that should motivate you and fuel a burning desire to prove yourself.

F*ck that college. They’re one of the worst anyway. You should know that you are too good for that school, because you are a creative, driven individual who is not defined by the effort you put into schooling as a teenager!

This the beginning of your “hero’s journey.” What you need to do is go prove why they are wrong. You can do it!

life is a long race - you shouldn’t let a pebble stop you from climbing a mountain ~

Last edited by a moderator:

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA

P.S
Don't worry about it. It's one rejection.

When Stephen King first started writing, he nailed his rejection letters to his bedroom wall. The letters got so heavy that the nail fell off the wall. He replaced the nail with a railroad spike and kept writing.

Don't give up. This rejection can completely change your life, but in a good way.

Creative Pursuit

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Apr 10, 2021
I'd frame the letter and hang it on my wall.

Use it as motivation.

When you succeed, I would send them a "thank you" note for the rejection.
I'm definitely going to do that, thanks MJ.

judywriter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 21, 2021
3424 Bobcat Drive, Washington, MD 20200
Congratulations.

This is your first Call to Adventure.

My name is Judy R. Hogan! I'm a professional online writer at writepaper.com
This is awesome. I see that your bigger picture, "everything is a machine" can make us understand better about the world. That lead us into making a good quality decisions. :) Thank you so much

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
the first of many.

Better get used to that feeling if you have any hopes of making it fastlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.