The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've Read UNSCRIPTED!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did the comment you made in the Simple Programmer interview about Amazon having bad support for business have anything to do with this?

Ha, don't think so -- I don't think I have the power to influence a trillion dollar corporation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Silver Silk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 10, 2017
Birmingham
Currently reading through and it's magnificent, a no bullshit straight to the point book & that's how it should be.

I've had to laugh out loud at a few of the lines such as "No, I'm not interested in helping you build your fake farm, your fake army, or your fake city. But I am interested in unfriending you" AHAHA that one tickled me. Another one that was a slap in the face was "Getting to choose your leash and the slaveowner that pulls it, STILL MAKES YOU A SLAVE. The words are so real, believe me I'm coming for my freedom.

So many highlights in the book. Those above are just some that made me chuckle. Enjoying the book thoroughly and I thank you for becoming a writer @MJ DeMarco

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
Just completed....wow

I made a tripwire, a 197$ upsell and a 997$ profit maximizer out of the information , even added a brand new step by step plug and play funnel with facebook chat bots endorsed by Dr. Snoz !

Kidding aside this book is art MJ. I usually listen to audiobooks but I could not wait.

I don't know what to say, I think you just killed the whole "how to start a business" niche... To be honest after this book nobody need any more information on this topic.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't know what to say, I think you just killed the whole "how to start a business" niche... To be honest after this book nobody need any more information on this topic.

Great to hear it ... the book kinda spawned from all the questions here that read like: Just read TMF , now what?

G

GuestUser450

Profound book. I'm big into Charlie Munger and mental latticeworks, etc and TUNEF is the most actionable, practical model for personal wealth I've ever seen. If freedom is a machine, the unscripted framework is the schematic.

tnekwerd

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jun 6, 2017
Colorado
Read it. Really expanded the mindset of TMF . Fantastic work, MJ.

D

Deleted25642

Read Unscripted . Much more in depth than Fastlane. Biggest takeaway was to work from NEED instead of pushing what I already have.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Read it, worth the wait and well worth the price (both monetarily and time commitment). I listen/read probably 2 hours a day and my biggest pet peeve is investing time in a book that comes recommended, only to have it be a total flop and a waste. Pisses me off much more to waste my hour than it does to waste my audible credit.

Needless to say, this was not the case with UNSCRIPTED and not once while reading it did I feel like I was wasting any time. Conventional authors do not write like MJ. No one goes on rants in their books about how screwed up our culture is (except, maybe Mark Manson's "Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" which was a pretty entertaining read). So thank you MJ for your fresh perspective and for calling it like it is.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Read it, great expansion on the knowledge learned from TMF .

I don't read business books, only business book I was ever able to get through was TMF , and now Unscripted . And they were all I've ever needed. They are all that is needed to start.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Just finished it now. The best part was that I read 1/2 of it on the boss's dime. ;)
So many gold nuggets. Can't wait for Audible to get their shit together so I can cement it in my brain during those long a$$ commutes.

Sam Kennedy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 21, 2016
I finished reading this yesterday, I really enjoyed reading it, I got through it faster than TMF despite it being longer! I really liked the concept of a feedback loop, and I think I'm not too far off connecting it.

AquaQuell

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
May 31, 2017
UK
Reading this a second time right now. I've read around 20 books this year and I've had a couple more lined up but to be honest I've had to put all other books aside in order to re read this and really grasp the principles. It simply contains too much invaluable knowledge! Taking it slow this time and instead of speeding through it I only go through a chapter each day, focusing on applying the principles. Thank you so much for this book!

Vix

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 10, 2015
I'm reading the book. Would love to listen to an audible version!

Michael1359

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 8, 2014
I've read it and am now reading it again. There is simply too much great information to digest in one reading. This is a mind-blowing book that I will read at least once a year. Fantastic, fantastic work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael1359

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 8, 2014
I read it.

I can tell you that there are many forum members here that are Unscripted . Many of the posters here (both past and present) were mentioned in the book. There are breadcrumb trails that they left here at the forum for you to discover.

Thanking MJ for the book is not enough. Having your story grace the pages of this forum as a success story is really why he wrote the book. He wrote it for you (and for me). He wrote it to give back for a life that has been blessed. He wrote it as the ultimate Jerry McGuire manifesto, that you might discover your own path to freedom through it's pages. You want to pay MJ the ultimate compliment? Then break the script.

Don't waste this chance. Don't look at it as just another entrepreneur book. MJ's moment was already realized. This is OUR moment. This is OUR freedom. This is OUR legacy.

I am just about to crest the mountain a second time, after I fell off of it the first time. I am just about to plant a flag at the peak of it, using the principles of the Millionaire Fastlane and now Unscripted . I am not the first, and you can read about dozens of journeys right here on the forum. The people that made it to the peak all have one thing in common here at the FastlaneForum. They all got there...

Unscripted .

Thank you for this, perfectly said Vigilante.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cakry

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 7, 2017
Kraków, Poland
I wish it was written few years ago... It allowed me to understand what I'm doing wrong.
Anyway, the best one I read, and the only one I needed...

JCQ

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 26, 2015
I've read 66% of this book

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
I've read it. I liked it.
I showed a few people I work with the first few chapters sample and they said it deflated them and made them want a change. I told them the book came out on the 23rd. Not sure how many followed up though.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
they said it deflated them

That was my intent ... an emotional connection that exposes the bullshit life has allowed them to bury...

Like NEO, if they're open to going down the rabbit hole, it's there. Sad, but most won't take it.

MatteoD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 7, 2017
Italy
Read it. A very solid book. Maybe there are too many acronyms which can confuse you and I would love to see all the diagrams at the end of the book for convenience.
The book leave you with a path to an unscripted life, no fluff nor BS. Recommended.

JourneyToAbundance

Free time is my most valuable asset
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Mar 11, 2012
Salt Lake City
I am grateful to @MJ DeMarco for writing such an outstanding and deep book about living a happy and fulfilling life via entrepreneurship. This is my 5-star review which was posted on Amazon.

"Unscripted : Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship” by MJ DeMarco is an outstanding guide for anyone who wants to live a meaningful and fulfilling life via entrepreneurship. The author challenges conventional wisdom and provides guideposts that we can use for an UNSCRIPTED existence which means doing whatever you want, wherever and whenever.

Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, who sang the lyric, I can’t get no satisfaction, captures a lot of the spirit of part I and part 2 of this book. MJ provides a diagnosis of the human predicament with vivid examples that we can all relate to. The author poses two questions that I found thought-provoking and his answers were spot-on: how do you feel on Sunday night or Monday morning?, What is the greatest con of the civilized world? Both questions made me think about my predicament and the myths that we follow or accept as the facts of life. For instance, who came up with the rule that Saturday and Sunday are for relaxing while work occurs Monday through Friday or retirement happens at sixty-five after 40 years of doing what you don’t like.

Once you become aware and understand our predicament, then the author provides a framework that can cure us. I was skeptical about this framework because of how complex it was and the odds of success. But after, researching other successful entrepreneurs like Phil Knight and Scott Adams, I realized that MJ has provided the most complete guide for entrepreneurial success. There isn’t a magical checklist we can use that will provide the path for successfully starting a business but MJ’s framework can improve our odds. The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) is the prescription for our predicament and represents the bulk of the book. There were five key takeaways for me:

1. Change your head will change your results - we have been brainwashed by the media and many other sources to have delusional and limiting beliefs that prevent us from transforming ourselves. For example, if you believe “entrepreneurship is risky,” you’ll avoid starting a business. But, if you can change your identity and actually believe that “I am a successful entrepreneur” than you have a shot.
  2. Process-principle - extraordinary results require an extraordinary effort consisting of daily habits, routines, and sacrifices. For example, when Michael Phelps won 9 gold medals in the 2008 Olympics and makes millions in endorsement afterwards, most of us only see his successful outcome. But behind his wins was a grueling process that required rigorous training and sacrifices. So, to be successful entrepreneurs we need to modify our habits and daily routine.
  3. The Commandment of Need - Need defines our opportunity in the market place. The author said think about the market as “a spoiled brat, narrowly-minded and singular in its purpose….Its laser-like focus is centered on one fundamental truth: What value are you to me?” By reframing the market as a spoiled brat, I’ve become more aware of the need of others.
  4. Sell or be sold: “If you don’t have any ideas, learn how to sell. Selling and all of its cousins (marketing, copywriting, negotiation) are the most important skills, no matter what your business is… The best sales secret isn’t about sales at all. It’s peer testimonials and reviews.”
  5. Comparative immunity - Abstaining from the un-winnable game of comparison which is the drive for more when more isn’t needed. We tend to focus on what’s missing such as the person driving a Mercedes while your driving a Subaru or the person with the perfect nose while your is crooked. I agree with the author that you will never find happiness if you are constantly comparing yourself with others because the finish line always moves.

I highly recommend “Unscripted ” because it has allowed me to better understand my predicament, see the world differently, and provide a backtested framework for entrepreneurship.

Last edited:

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 24, 2017
Spain
I have just finished Part 3 and I am loving it. I am liking even more than TMF!

I do love the style, the powerful metaphors and especially the political incorrectness, it is so refreshing, no sugarcoating just spitting the hard truth!

I realized that I have always been unscripted in many aspects of my life, unfortunately the script is more powerful than we imagine and got me trapped in the work part, but fortunately I am already taking action to correct that.

I am finding the book very inspiring and I cannot wait to keep reading!

DCDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Dec 3, 2016
Washington DC
I finished reading #Unscripted a few days before the release and the book was actually very good - I think those who have not read TMF and read #Unscripted may see the book as possibly brash but, I think the book is a necessity in today's "everyone gets a participation trophy" society.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
i finished it, i loved the story with the Old man and his wish to see hell and heaven!

Katarzyna

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 20, 2017
WITHAM UK
Read the book.
Didn't finish yet, I'm 82% in so far but it already changed my approach to living itself and business especially after reading MFL.
This book is not a regular book but compulsory textbook and after I finish reading it cover to cover I'm going to start to study it and learn it by heart as it is the most important book for every entrepreneur in my opinion.
Very informative for sure and content hit me like a hammer and wake me up from a dream to reality.
This is what live is all about.

Last edited:

kiwiana

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 7, 2017

Retloh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
375%
Jan 31, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
READ IT!

Lots of things that have been bothering me for the last couple of years that I could pin down and you nailed them.

Work, save and invest and you'll have millions when you retire at 65. I'm 41 now and 65 doesn't seem near as far away as it did 10 years ago. Everybody that I know that worked a job their whole life and retired, didn't really retire until they were well past 65. The ones that retired at 65 or earlier started a business. It's my rich grandpa, poor grandpa story, although I didn't get much life lessons from them on how to do it myself.

And the go to college and get a better job thing is a bunch of BS. Some of the dumbest mouth breathers I've met were college grads and I know some people that barely passed high school that will run circles around them so bad it isn't funny. Not always true, but the college didn't make a difference in their success, the successful ones would be successful no matter what and vice versa.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.