The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Great stuff MJ, the book is very inspiring and great insight into the entrepreneurial world.

I read 10% of the book already. I feel like I'm on fire. Let's have a comp to see who makes a million in 1yr, you have to be honest with $0-1000 in your account already (I can be honest because I have less than $500) lol.

I can feel the change in my mind, now I need to see the change in my bank account woohoo! ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JP66

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Nov 22, 2010
Finished the book yesterday. I found it to be inspiring and motivational. I plan to read it again. Found it was maybe not a good I idea to read the book right before bed...had trouble sleeping as my mind wandered about the books contents and possibilities :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I got a few others that were recommended.

What Rich People Know & Desperately Want to Keep Secret
Brian Sher

Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
Gary Vaynerchuk

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
Jim Collins

I haven't read Sher's, but it's on my "must read" list (which is short, only other books on it are MJ's and a few Disney business books).

Good to Great was the best biz book we've read in the past 5 years.

Crush It and 4 Hour Work Week both have excellent take-aways. You needn't take them as gospel, but they're both excellent "this is how the world has changed, now change w/it" books.

-Russ H.

kingwizard

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Mar 19, 2008
Texas
I finally finished the book a few days ago. I must admit it is the best book I have read so far that really opens up your mind in believing you can be successful and become wealthy sooner than later. I love the way MJ used the car analogies and made it easier to read so people can understand better. I, like most people, really liked the 5 commandments to wealth and have been using them almost everyday when I have a new idea pop in my head. If it doesn't meet all five or at least four, I don't even bother anymore and move on. Thanks MJ for a great book and I am sure I will be reading it many more times to keep me motivated and on the right track. Watch out fastlane! I will be merging real soon.
:fastlane:

Vyce77

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 26, 2010
I just finished last night. It really highlighted some things for me that I can't believe weren't common sense items to me previously.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just added the icons for the latest postees ... I didn't add the icon for those who said they just ordered or are halfway thru ... appreciate all the great comments on the book!!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
MJ, do you have a special section or thread where you want to discuss book concepts or discuss answers to questions?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ, do you have a special section or thread where you want to discuss book concepts or discuss answers to questions?

Greg,

Just post a new thread in the most suitable forum. Thx!

deek164

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
May 5, 2010
read it. It really changed my outlook on things. I was of the typical slow lane mindset(without the debt). While things financially have been going well personally and with my business I like the idea of graduating to the fastlane shooting for the home run and "early" retirement(like in the next few years, not 30 years from now).

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Finished. Woot.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
wow this book is excellent. Finished reading it 2 days after I got it, I couldn't put it down except for when i had to be at my "job". thanks for writing this book MJ its very motivational and informative

NewsletterScott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Apr 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
Jim Collins

One of the best business books I listened to...that is in exact alignment with MJ's book. I listened to the entire book on audio and man oh man...some timeless wisdom that will stay with you forever as an entrepreneur.

I know this sounds hypey but I am going to say it anyway....The information in Good to Great will help you build a billion dollar company...but I will let you determine that as this is only my opinion.

Vaynerchucks books is meh...it is all about "monetize your passion" saying the same stuff all other social media people say...(blog, write, video) etc...without really giving the "how to" or show the "process" like it does in MJ's book.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Finally finished it. Can I add that I don't read very much. Any of the books I've ever read need to really grab my attention in order for me to finish them. So most of the books I have or have read all pertain to money, business etc etc. I read the 1st half of the book within a day or so of receiving it and over the course of the next week I finished the other half. Great read and lots of useful information all around. Great Job Mike !!!!

arohan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 25, 2010
Michigan, USA
Finished the book yesterday. Couldn't wait to get it in mail so downloaded the kindle app for windows and bought the kindle version. Loved it, specially since all these points already existed in my mind and the book connected them for me.

gotbalz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2010
New Yawk
Finished last night! I like how it really breaks down the types of fastlane business, as I never thought about how some businesses are not capable of fastlane income.

This should be a must read for anybody that wants more than a 9-5 job!

I will put this information to work!!

Fermovian

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 19, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I read the book, I liked the part where examples from MJ's own company were added. I would like to see a follow up book on how you ran your company and all the little tricks and ideas that you came up with. I would find a book that showed the actual insides of how a fastlane business works would be entertaining and valuable.

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
I finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it! Started last month on Oct 27th and finished today November 27th. I didn't want to treat the book as a contest to see if I could finish it in 8 hours. Many months were put into the book by MJ to get this to market, why diminish it by reading through as it were just another book on the shelf after months of anticipation? I treated the process as a study, Q&A (sometimes with my wife), and as a work-book to get the most out of the reading. It takes time to re-shape thoughts and patterns - speaking for myself only, I couldn't accomplish the paradigm shift in some areas by rushing through the book.

I shared some tips on savoring the book and highlighting ideas to extract key information as posted here if you are interested:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/forum-news-updates-faqs/28338-millionaire-fastlane-testimonials-reviews-part-ii.html#post142649

Thanks...
Steven Mac

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it! Started last month on Oct 27th and finished today November 27th. I didn't want to treat the book as a contest to see if I could finish it in 8 hours. Many months were put into the book by MJ to get this to market, why diminish it by reading through as it were just another book on the shelf after months of anticipation? I treated the process as a study, Q&A (sometimes with my wife), and as a work-book to get the most out of the reading. It takes time to re-shape thoughts and patterns - speaking for myself only, I couldn't accomplish the paradigm shift in some areas by rushing through the book.

I shared some tips on savoring the book and highlighting ideas to extract key information as posted here if you are interested:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/forum-news-updates-faqs/28338-millionaire-fastlane-testimonials-reviews-part-ii.html#post142649

Thanks...
Steven Mac

Steven-

I think we all read/learn differently.

I consider myself a bit of a reader (love to read). Since I became an adult, the books that have had the greatest impact on me were those I "couldn't put down"-- I had to read them, devour them, and was hungry for more when I finished.

After the first blistering read, I'd think about it for a few months, then would revisit the book and read it again. The second time would take longer, b/c I'd be "daydreaming"-- my mind would carry me to the parts of my life that were being affected or had changed since my first read.

The really important books get more than 2 or 3 reads, because I learn something new each time--and (perhaps most important), I need the review to see if I'm still "in synch" with what I remember from the book.

It sounds like you have a very different approach, which is great. As I said at the beginning-- we all know what's best for us, and we're all different! :banana:

-Russ H.

stevenmac2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 28, 2007
US
Hi Russ,

I agree with you. Typically, I usually read through a book without process of highlighting or taking the time to stop by asking some questions (whatever sinks in - let it sink). For me personally, I wanted this to be a defining moment that separated itself from any other read. This type of approach for an entire book reading is my first time using it this way, so I am curious how/what the end result will be.

I think the most important aspect once one has finished the book (whether it took 8 hours, few days, 1 week, or several weeks) is in the end to realize current path, recapture dreams, embrace motivation, and move into action to possibilities of prosperity.

Have a good one...

G

Guest3722A

Just finished it. I must say that it was an interesting read and I appreciate the insight you gave into the things you did to build and make your business a success. The book did teach me quite a few new things and some things you discussed were actually natural/self taught through experience with me. I have told one person so far and she claimed she bought it and I will tell others about it.

I also gotta say that at some points I laughed and at others (a couple) it did piss me off but the truth is the truth and I should learn from my past mistakes and only hold myself accountable.

Anyway, thanks for writing it, and I'm thankful that I was led to this website.

CashFlow

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Apr 14, 2009
Delray Beach, FL
MJ,

Thank you SO much for putting this book together! :eusa_clap:

I finished it within the first 3 days after I got it; it really held my attention.

I remember getting towards the end and thinking "there's MORE? I've already gotten so much value out of it!"

What stood out to me:
- Process is more important than the "event" that media glorifies
- Most businesses are really dead end jobs, with possibly more pay but less time
- The CENTS formula for evaluating any business idea
- The fact that you answered most thought of questions at the end was GREAT! So many people end a book with "uh huh...what about this?" and the author usually dodges it, because as you pointed out, most didn't get rich doing what they preach about.

I have to say this is the best book I've read about money- way better than Rich Dad's theory books or the other financial "gurus". I've read just about them all, especially when I was a teenager looking for ideas, and I always had trouble with all the assumptions they made. I kept thinking "if it was that easy to get rich, how come most don't?" Or if they do get rich, the end result is "wealth in a wheelchair".

Also much appreciated is the peppering in of stories from your experience - which adds a lot of character to the points you make.

I hope others give it out to their friends to read - it'll open a lot of "a-ha!" moments for them...especially anyone that's tried different business opportunities and felt (or seen) the flaws with them.

Thanks again MJ!

- Andrew

LarryG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Dec 29, 2007
Bremen, GA
Finished the book, gave it to my wife and even sent friends to the forum to purchase their own copy. Congratulations MJ, great book, as inspiring and thought provoking as always.

skyhigh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 28, 2009
I just received the book today and already up to Chapter 27. So far, I think your book have just killed all rich dad poor dad series. Today 12/1/2010, I finally finished the book and I must say this is a straight up to your face book and I love it. There's no BS! I thought my life was it, but after reading this book, it has opened up my mind. It all starts with the belief, decision, reason, commitment, adapt and change!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.