The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is a 4 or 5 day work week better

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

steve schweitzer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Oct 18, 2015
alma, arkansas
Hello Everyone, as I have posted I am in the process of moving our vintage auto repair and restoration shop and wanted some advice.

My question is what are your thoughts on 4 day vs 5 day work weeks? Basically 4 10 hour days instead of 5 8 hour days.

This 4 day model is not widely used in the car business. It is almost always 5 and usually 6 days.

I feel this can be a great tool to help hire and keep top notch people as pretty much everybody in this industry has personal project cars they are restoring and like the extra time off.

I also feel we can get greater productivity as keeping someone on task is easier if they less stops and starts. Less days but more hours worked per day I feel will get more done than in 5 days.

The shop would be open 5 days with the manager there to meet customers but the techs would only work 4.

I can also give then techs options to work the extra hours (overtime) when needed or wanted.

What are your thoughts on this plan?

Thanks for the replies

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
The shop would be open 5 days with the manager there to meet customers but the techs would only work 4.

I love your idea of having your employees working 4 10-hour days, a great hiring edge for you, but you could probably just rotate the techs so that they rotated which days they worked.

Ex. with 5 techs, you would have 2 working each day and each would have a different day off during the week.

Not having a normal business schedule is a great way to see if you actually have a big value skew.

My favorite example is Chik-fil-a, they are closed every Sunday and still are the largest growing brand out there despite all competitors being open 1 more day a week.

Last edited:

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
"This 4 day model is not widely used in the car business. It is almost always 5 and usually 6 days."

My thoughts are if you're company is a top tier provider for your market, it might be worth an experiment to see if only having a four day a week model will boost revenue.

One of my fav restaurants is only open four hours a day, and by hour three the best items on the menu are sold out. The place is always packed too.

Food for thought

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I love this idea and when I was a teacher this idea was kicked around a lot like 15 years ago but always declined due to parent issues with who will watch the kids when they are at work.

I bet it will work great with your staff and their side projects and personal life. Is there a big difference with mechanics pulling 10 hour shift with getting tired or do those dudes turn wrenches all day no problem?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Some thoughts, maybe helpful:

My friend Steve has a car shop. From taking all work and working 6 + days, he suddenly reduced to strictly 5 days 8-5, which was a big improvement. So I think, reducing time is not bad in general.
Work gets more effective.

He tried to work two shifts. 5-1 and 1-8. That didn’t work due to only 3 employees.

In my job I reduced fix work time to 3 days each about 4 hours.
( in my job I work like being na entrepreneur, money on a revenue shared base)
Through reducing the time, the revenue increased, as Of course I work more, but much more effective.
So I think, it will bring your business forward to reduce the fix presence time. Giving a revenue shares plus will boost it I think.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.