The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

The business that will change the real estate world (for the better) and obsolete realtors.

passion518

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia
DISCLAIMER - I am no real estate agent basher – but I’m sure I’m gonna piss some people off here. I want to hear from you guys too! The thread title was just to grab attention...glad it worked ;)

In the past 3 months or so, while ramping up the number of flips we have actively going at the same time, I’ve had to raise some extra money (which I’ve gotten pretty good at, as a side note). I met with a bunch of different private investors and explained my business and how I operate. Each one of them asked me about my selling process – “Who do you use to list your properties on the MLS when you are done?”. I don’t use anyone. I do it myself using a flat rate listing service. I hire my own photographer and use a service through usrealty.com and pay around $400 to list my property and it gets on the MLS and all other major sites, exactly as if I were listing with a standard commissioned broker. I still pay the buyers agent 2-3% (I vary based on sale price). I have yet to have a property (knock on wood dammit) be on the market for more than 3 weeks, and most of my deals sell for 10% more than the highest comps. Now, obviously being in the industry, I know the ins and outs much more than your average Joe would – but let’s break that down in a minute.

When one or two of these private investors asked me about my listing realtor, I didn’t think much of it. Basically, anyone I have ever talked to about my business in detail asks me this. But, when EVERY one of the private investors asked me, something clicked. PEOPLE THINK YOU NEED TO LIST WITH A COMMISSIONED BROKER TO DO A REAL ESTATE TRANSACTION.

I found the flat rate listing service I use because I needed to be cost conscious and be able to only spend my money where it makes sense spending. I didn’t see the value in hiring a realtor to come into my rehab, take some pictures, list it online and call it a day – and pay them $9k (3%, avg sale of $300k), and another $9k to the buyers agent. It’s a digital era, and I can do the same tasks as the buyers agent for $400 in cost, and about 2 hours of time. Additionally – most listing agents (in my area anyway) don’t even market their listings outside of getting them on the MLS. I constantly do new things to get as much exposure as I can on my listings.

I believe that in today’s digital world, there is a better way to conduct the selling and buying of homes than with traditional real estate agents.

I’m not developing something new here. There already are services that do the basic function. The problem is – the current available services do not address most of the key “pain points” above. I admit, some of the pain points will be very difficult to overcome. Nothing impossible about it though. And to be honest – I don’t doubt for one second that 5-10 years from now – this will be the norm and realtors will be obsolete…whether I take part in the “shift” or not. Plain and simple – there are better, more controllable ways to offer greater and more consistent value in conducting real estate transactions than what we are currently used to. The good realtors are great, unfortunately - most suck and aren't even committed to what they are doing. Take a 60 hour class and BAM you're certified to handle the largest transaction most people will ever make. (I know because my wife did it - I'm no hater - I just realize the lack of quality control, potential value loss and inconsistencies for the consumers here).

Anyway, that's enough pussy footing....let’s dive into some of the reasons ( and potential solutions ) why your average Joe WOULDN’T use a flat rate listing service to sell their home:

· Doesn’t know this service even exists

· Doesn’t know they have the ability to sell without a broker

· Doesn’t know what their home is worth

· Doesn’t know the selling process

· Doesn’t know what repairs may need to be made

· Doesn’t know how to negotiate with buyers

· Doesn’t feel confident their home will sell as fast or for as much as with a commissioned broker

· (Please comment with more if you have ideas on why someone wouldn’t use this service)

I believe every point above can be overcome with a system.

I don’t have all my ideas organized yet…if I did, I’d be working on it ;)

But what I have thought about in the big picture is this:

A real estate transaction conductor that handles the operational side of the buying and selling side of real estate transactions.

For Sellers –

Make the process simple, slightly educational, and more affordable, all while still achieving fair market sell prices for the consumer.

For Buyers –

Coordinate the pre-approval and authorization of buyers. Once authorized, buyers can search our listing database and go and schedule their own viewings of homes, go themselves, submit feedback and/or an offer simply and efficiently.

In Between –

Compile all standard state and county level forms and documents that need to be completed for a real estate transaction to occur, arrange and send for signatures. Organize and keep all items in place for a smooth and timely closing.

There’s a whole lot to think about and talk about here. I’d love to hear your thoughts guys and gals!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I understand what you are saying. I was a broker for 30 years. I mainly represented sellers. I worked my a$$ off. Yes, in some hot markets, the MLS works well. Other times, it doesn't.

Yes, I agree that agents are less important with the current technology. BUT, I have also seen a lot of buyers and sellers cheated without the protection of a good agent. There are more than 2 sides to the question.

passion518

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Oct 28, 2013
Philadelphia
I understand what you are saying. I was a broker for 30 years. I mainly represented sellers. I worked my a$$ off. Yes, in some hot markets, the MLS works well. Other times, it doesn't.

Yes, I agree that agents are less important with the current technology. BUT, I have also seen a lot of buyers and sellers cheated without the protection of a good agent. There are more than 2 sides to the question.
Thanks for the feedback WJK. In your experience, when a buyer or seller got cheated - how did this happen?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.