The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In the mind of an African Boy

Adam Yakubu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Aug 22, 2020
Ghana
I see lots of people here taking about their startups and it's execution, sharing milestones and achievements. What about the Boy/Girl in Africa. I feel the MFL wasn't written taking African countries into consideration.
My name is Adam and I'm from Ghana. I'm 21 and I've always had some kind of passion of living my own life and not tied to a 9-5 job. It's only after I read the MFL that everything became so clear to me. I could even see through the ads of people trying to sell you a DREAM. 'BE YOUR OWN BOSS', 'WORK FROM HOME', 'HAVE FINANCIAL FREEDOM'.

BUT ;

There's a reality here in Ghana if not Africa. It's near impossible to go the Fastlane. I know you'll say 'Friend you need to have the right mindset and things like that'. You'll be surprised if I tell there are close to zero fastlaners in Africa, Guess who are the Rich and Wealthy here ;

POLITICIANS. not doctors, not contractors, not website designers, not programmers, not YouTubers. Politicians. That's the reality.

it feels like a Trap you can never get out of. I have thought of a lot businesses i wanted to start in order to go Fastlane but it all proved futile, some doesn't even pass the startup stage because the conditions here in Ghana just doesn't allow it.
1. Website designing - I learnt to code in one year and I was able to build standard responsive websites. I reached out to local business to build websites for their business. They all refused, because they don't have enough money to even pay for a website so what they do is create IG accounts for their business and just put their phone numbers there. I figured okay I could go on fiverr and build for those outside Africa. Didn't turn out great because businesses would rather hire a website designer from US/UK than from the Guy in Africa.

( Now I provide Tanscription service , Proofreading & Editing , Video Editing and Spokesperson video Gigs there. Slowlane I know haha. But I need that money to start something up Fiverr name- adam_yakubu )

The rich in Africa are Slowlaners, the 9-5 gang, the ones who trade their time for money. But I don't what that? What're my Options? Is there even an Option? What now?

Have you ever wondered why Elon left South Africa to the US, do you think he would have achieved what he has now if he were still in South Africa?

There's a lot I want to write on this thread but I don't want to bore you with lots of words and the Tales of trying to go Fastlane in Ghana/Africa.

If you want me to continue this thread you can let me know in the comments.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Welcome to the forum. We're rooting for you.

Yes! I would love to hear more from you. Your thoughts and comments and stories are valuable. Please continue the thread. There are a TON of people from all over the world who will be inspired by your action.

I was inspired recently by this thread. Maybe your story can have a similar happy outcome.

I loved how this guy approached it like a battle plan. His room was his strategy center. It took him longer. But he made it.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@AdamYakubu. Welcome to the forum. Many here will be willing to help, particularly if you ask specific questions.

I assume you must have a PayPal account to receive payments from Fiverr? If not, have a look at Home. In his first page he only shows how to get a buyer's PP account, but then he offers to set up a real workable account for 100 Cedis (about US$17). There appear to be safeguards for you, but you should check it out carefully.

With a PayPal business account you can even sell on Amazon USA.

Best Wishes,
Walter

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Corruption is rough to deal with, but the fact that you're posting here means you're not fenced into their game. I would recommend, while you're starting what projects you can, also learn more about the obstacles and systems that are in place around you.

Those politicians are part of the reality you're working within. We have them here too, but their graft is usually subtler, and they can at least administer rule of law for the most part. Don't decide the rich people are all politicians... it's rarely really the case. Politicians profit from graft and corruption perhaps, but someone has to produce. The ones who find massive needs and a way to scale massively become the real rich.

Now I'm no expert on Ghana, and I've only visited Africa for a month or so (Zimbabwe), but I think you may have more power to act than you assume. Let's look at this (and feel free to correct it if you think it's wrong... it's probably not perfect) list of the richest people in Ghana and what they do:

Richest People in Ghana Top 20 Forbes List | Glusea.com

Oil, engineering, mining, food manufacture and distribution, heavy / agricultural equipment and land development, paint, flour and bread, cocoa processing, automotive import/export, real estate (commercial highrise). That's the top ten. The next ten are all business too. I'm sure they have to work with politicians, deal with onerous political challenges from time to time, etc. But that's the story for millionaires and billionaires everywhere, just about.

Now I know, you can't just start a 10,000 acre cocoa farm from nothing. Most of us aren't doing something like that either. We're starting somewhere. Sometimes from a position of poverty, debt, abject confusion etc. Sometimes from a better position. But the important part is starting, observing, learning the environment and figuring out how to transform it to your purposes, and the need of some group of other people, your market.

I think you can do it. Look at some of the other suggestions in this thread, and read through some of the amazing gold threads. Just think, when you make yourself a millionaire, you can say, I started in a place with few advantages for a startup, and I still did this. You can take a lot of pride in that.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Find a problem or unmet need/want.

Create a brand & product(s) around the unmet need/want.

Systemize the business.

Re-sell it to others and make them your distribution channel.

Become the manufacturer & supplier your franchisees/partners buy from.

Hit the fast lane.

============

I read a story of a lady that did that, she was coca cola's biggest distributor / wholesaler.

She bought bottled cola, put them into an ice cold bucket - put it on her head and went around selling them to people on the street.... then she found another person that wanted to do the same, then she found another 1000 people.... next thing you know she's in the fastlane and one of Coca Cola's biggest distributors.

===========

In short - start a micro-franchise business that caters to a NEED/WANT and scales by allowing others to work as self employed partners of your brand.

You can sell flavored water like Coca Cola, or you could sell something like airtime for mobile phones or lightning fast supercharging services for mobile phones (upsell power banks) or even a shoe / sneaker cleaning service that's mobile or that advertise and reaches customers by walking around.

The opportunities are out there, its just hard to see them when you're not used to it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqh8r3Z1e8I&ab_channel=TEDxTalks

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Check that out, also could you possibly move? Canada, US or the UK seem like good options.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
I see lots of people here taking about their startups and it's execution, sharing milestones and achievements. What about the Boy/Girl in Africa. I feel the MFL wasn't written taking African countries into consideration.
My name is Adam and I'm from Ghana. I'm 21 and I've always had some kind of passion of living my own life and not tied to a 9-5 job. It's only after I read the MFL that everything became so clear to me. I could even see through the ads of people trying to sell you a DREAM. 'BE YOUR OWN BOSS', 'WORK FROM HOME', 'HAVE FINANCIAL FREEDOM'.

BUT ;

There's a reality here in Ghana if not Africa. It's near impossible to go the Fastlane. I know you'll say 'Friend you need to have the right mindset and things like that'. You'll be surprised if I tell there are close to zero fastlaners in Africa, Guess who are the Rich and Wealthy here ;

POLITICIANS. not doctors, not contractors, not website designers, not programmers, not YouTubers. Politicians. That's the reality.

it feels like a Trap you can never get out of. I have thought of a lot businesses i wanted to start in order to go Fastlane but it all proved futile, some doesn't even pass the startup stage because the conditions here in Ghana just doesn't allow it.
1. Website designing - I learnt to code in one year and I was able to build standard responsive websites. I reached out to local business to build websites for their business. They all refused, because they don't have enough money to even pay for a website so what they do is create IG accounts for their business and just put their phone numbers there. I figured okay I could go on fiverr and build for those outside Africa. Didn't turn out great because businesses would rather hire a website designer from US/UK than from the Guy in Africa.

( Now I provide Tanscription service , Proofreading & Editing , Video Editing and Spokesperson video Gigs there. Slowlane I know haha. But I need that money to start something up Fiverr name- adam_yakubu )

The rich in Africa are Slowlaners, the 9-5 gang, the ones who trade their time for money. But I don't what that? What're my Options? Is there even an Option? What now?

Have you ever wondered why Elon left South Africa to the US, do you think he would have achieved what he has now if he were still in South Africa?

There's a lot I want to write on this thread but I don't want to bore you with lots of words and the Tales of trying to go Fastlane in Ghana/Africa.

I live in Ghana too. I started broke and deeply in debt... with both parents dead. My story is not yet ripped for the Fastlane Forum. But I will post when the right time comes. I started with a little, but on my way building my first and second Fastlane business in Ghana with clients in across Africa, US, UK and Canada.

I started a copywriting business in 2016, which has now developed into an eCommerce digital marketing agency.

I don't believe that people will prefer a talent in UK/US to Ghana. I have written over 4,000 articles for clients in the US and UK...and have made lots of money offering only copywriting services to agencies and businesses out there.

In the beginning, the challenge was getting a PayPal account. But ones I got it, I was all set. Over the last three years, I have made more than GHS 80,000 online offering copyrighting, SEO, web design, FB Ads and other digital marketing services to clients in about 8 countries.

I have had clients in Indian, Singapore, London, United Kingdom, Canada, USA, and other African countries.. while working in Ghana.. in my bedroom. I think the key to success is to understand local businesses and develop a product or service that will meet both their needs and financial capabilities.

It's not easy... but it's possible. I have 6 workers now in my e-commerce digital marketing agency. At this time, we are focused on helping many local businesses in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Malawi and Botswana to have their own online stores (not dropshipping) besides their brick and mortar operations or simply go fully online.

And trust me.,. the competition is not as fierce as the US, UK or Canada... even though we still have clients there and serves them. It is possible to build a Fastlane business in Ghana.. if you have the right mindset, work ethic and the persistence to move through the storms.

I have a copy of @MJ DeMarco's book in my bedroom and I read it every single week... on the toilet, on my bed and my office table. I study, underline, and meditate and I follow him closely on Quora, Facebook and Youtube. I also follow @Andy Black a lot and @Black_Dragon43 ... and read the Gold Threads on the forum.

Little by little, I shifted from freelancing (trading time for money) to e-commerce, digital marketing agency......where I can leverage other people's talent and have free time and generate cash ....by leading, training and building my team and then invest into other businesses.

Yeah, I also started on Fiverr... but I notice doing business on Fiverr and other freelance sites is a pure waste of time. You're not building your own customer base, you're not building an actual business... you can't just expand and move forward from there.

So, I stop Fiverr three years ago and started pitching agencies and local businesses.. on my own. It was not a straightforward route over the past three to four years... but it worked. There is nothing impossible.

When you live in Ghana or Africa, you can choose to complain or maximize the opportunities to enrich yourself. My advice to you.. is to find your way to make things happen... because there is nothing impossible if you put in the work to do it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
@Adam Yakubu
What part of Ghanna are you in, Accra? I'm flying in for 48 hours Dec 6/7th. If you're around, send me a PM and we can meet up for lunch, I'll buy.

@Think Expand, your advice is so solid, join us if you can, it would be a pleasure to meet you.

Adam - here is all I will say. If you want it. There is a way.
I started with a stupid idea, and no idea how to execute it. None.
Just... started. One day, then another. Age 22.

It's funny, I'm trying to start another business now, and I keep convincing myself I need to make it more complicated. Or, I need to do this.. that... Nope. Just got to put in the work.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
@Adam Yakubu
What part of Ghanna are you in, Accra? I'm flying in for 48 hours Dec 6/7th. If you're around, send me a PM and we can meet up for lunch, I'll buy.

@Think Expand, your advice is so solid, join us if you can, it would be a pleasure to meet you.

It's funny, I'm trying to start another business now, and I keep convincing myself I need to make it more complicated. Or, I need to do this.. that... Nope. Just got to put in the work.

Thanks, @WestCoast. I will look to meet you too!

looking forward to the next big challenge. The biggest obstacle to greatness is our pass successes, comfort zone and complacency.

I'm always spending time to learn new things, get new ideas and implement new strategies in my life and business.

My focus now is growing/scaling my e-commerce digital marketing agency, launching a reseller web hosting and an online store to sell electronics to the local people in Ghana. So, learning never ends and quitting is out of the game.

We'll keep moving forward no matter how tough or hard the road may be. We'll keep pushing and persisting, no matter how difficult and long the journey may be. But I know one thing, as long as we take one step at a time toward our goals, we'll always get there. All the best in your next business adventure.

Adam Yakubu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Aug 22, 2020
Ghana
@Adam Yakubu

Unfortunately I'm not in Accra, I'm in the Western part of the country(Tarkwa) which takes app. 6hours to reach Accra. If nothing comes up in that month I'll try and meet up.

Adam Yakubu

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Aug 22, 2020
Ghana
WO
I live in Ghana too. I started broke and deeply in debt... with both parents dead. My story is not yet ripped for the Fastlane Forum. But I will post when the right time comes. I started with a little, but on my way building my first and second Fastlane business in Ghana with clients in across Africa, US, UK and Canada.

I started a copywriting business in 2016, which has now developed into an eCommerce digital marketing agency.

I don't believe that people will prefer a talent in UK/US to Ghana. I have written over 4,000 articles for clients in the US and UK...and have made lots of money offering only copywriting services to agencies and businesses out there.

In the beginning, the challenge was getting a PayPal account. But ones I got it, I was all set. Over the last three years, I have made more than GHS 80,000 online offering copyrighting, SEO, web design, FB Ads and other digital marketing services to clients in about 8 countries.

I have had clients in Indian, Singapore, London, United Kingdom, Canada, USA, and other African countries.. while working in Ghana.. in my bedroom. I think the key to success is to understand local businesses and develop a product or service that will meet both their needs and financial capabilities.

It's not easy... but it's possible. I have 6 workers now in my e-commerce digital marketing agency. At this time, we are focused on helping many local businesses in Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa, Malawi and Botswana to have their own online stores (not dropshipping) besides their brick and mortar operations or simply go fully online.

And trust me.,. the competition is not as fierce as the US, UK or Canada... even though we still have clients there and serves them. It is possible to build a Fastlane business in Ghana.. if you have the right mindset, work ethic and the persistence to move through the storms.

I have a copy of @MJ DeMarco's book in my bedroom and I read it every single week... on the toilet, on my bed and my office table. I study, underline, and meditate and I follow him closely on Quora, Facebook and Youtube. I also follow @Andy Black a lot and @Black_Dragon43 ... and read the Gold Threads on the forum.

Little by little, I shifted from freelancing (trading time for money) to e-commerce, digital marketing agency......where I can leverage other people's talent and have free time and generate cash ....by leading, training and building my team and then invest into other businesses.

Yeah, I also started on Fiverr... but I notice doing business on Fiverr and other freelance sites is a pure waste of time. You're not building your own customer base, you're not building an actual business... you can't just expand and move forward from there.

So, I stop Fiverr three years ago and started pitching agencies and local businesses.. on my own. It was not a straightforward route over the past three to four years... but it worked. There is nothing impossible.

When you live in Ghana or Africa, you can choose to complain or maximize the opportunities to enrich yourself. My advice to you.. is to find your way to make things happen... because there is nothing impossible if you put in the work to do it. Thanks.
Wow I'm impressed.Thanks As @Andy Black said You're a Role model. I really want to see how your business is like ;perhaps you could share a link to your website if you don't mind. Thanks again

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
Unfortunately I'm not in Accra, I'm in the Western part of the country(Tarkwa) which takes app. 6hours to reach Accra. If nothing comes up in that month I'll try and meet up.

Okay. That's nice to hear.

Think Expand

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Oct 30, 2019
WO

Wow I'm impressed.Thanks As @Andy Black said You're a Role model. I really want to see how your business is like ;perhaps you could share a link to your website if you don't mind. Thanks again

@Adam Yakubu Well, here is my company website: expandgh.com

Please, kindly feel FREE to PM me an honest review or advice, if you can. I will appreciate it, whether it is hot or cold. I love criticism, even though it can be painful sometimes. We've had a couple of technical issues recently, though. Thanks in advance for the review.

Peter Kay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Nov 7, 2019

BUT ;

Happy to see someone, here again, writing from Africa, for many reasons i agree with you about the situation in most of the African countries for I myself i come from Africa, Uganda to be specific.

Yess, stories told here happens not to be favorable for the setting and African business environment. But one thing I for sure believe is that Africa is more favorable for Fastlane than any other place in the world, what makes the most difference is how you play your cards approaching the Fastlane. Africa is growing and still try to adapt to a couple of things the Western land got, which gives anyone a huge chance to go Fastlane.

Create your own luck as @MJ DeMarco puts in his books. Starting Working on CENTS ideas the suitable conditions will find you in motion.

@Think Expand Thank you for sharing your story, its inspiring for every single person from Africa here, and its living truth that you achieve anything you want regardless of your location.

I don't want to indulge this thread with my own story, but what I know for sure, a digital payment gateway is a big hurdle for anyone trying out online business from Africa. That being said, I am no computer program but I have started on a project building a payment gateway for African countries, I know its not Fastlane because I have a 5-year goal tagged on it for it.I guess will have to start my own progress thread for the project and all ideas will be welcome.

Meanwhile @Adam Yakubu you're welcome here. Make the most out of the platform.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...