The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm gonna be a dad.. Did I just lose the Fastlane?

Yikes86

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,000%
Jun 30, 2017
Austria
Good day to ya'll!

I've been reading along on this forum for quite some time now, picking up bits and pieces of advice and philosophies here and there.

While I've been trying to cook up my first business that matches the CENTS the last few weeks, I got this totally life changing news.

My girlfriend's pregnant with our first child.

That's right.

But since this is an introduction thread, I better introduce myself properly.

I'm a 31 year old guy from Austria with a passion for making money online, yet I've still to crack that darned code of 'Need' and 'Entry'.

And whilst I'm trying my best as a real wantrepreneur to figure out what niche to get into, my girlfriend through 7 years, whom I love to the stars and beyond btw, tells me that she's pregnant.

Isolated speaking this is really great news to me. I've wanted to become a dad for quite a few years now, but the big question follows: Will it then be it for me when it comes to making it to the fastlane?

I'm already dragging around quite some debth, and I'm in a job that doesn't pay very well. I've not given up hope yet though, which is also the reason I'm taking my time to introduce myself to you fine gentlemen and -women in here.

Have any of you been in a situation like mine? Not much cash, poor paying job, some vague dreams and a baby on the way?

And did you make it anyhow?

Best regards and peace out!
Yikes

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Have any of you been in a situation like mine? Not much cash, poor paying job, some vague dreams and a baby on the way?

I started a business the week my daughter was born. I worked on the business when I was up with her at 2 or 3 in the morning, and spent that time talking to Chinese manufacturers.

My son was born 2 months ago, and my 2nd business is launching in a week. Most of the work to get it off the ground has been done between 4 and 6 AM, and 8 to 11 PM.

The motivation produced by having a kid was unlike any other.

bitsinmyblood

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 29, 2017
Washington State, USA
I started a business the week my daughter was born. I worked on the business when I was up with her at 2 or 3 in the morning, and spent that time talking to Chinese manufacturers.

My son was born 2 months ago, and my 2nd business is launching in a week. Most of the work to get it off the ground has been done between 4 and 6 AM, and 8 to 11 PM.

The motivation produced by having a kid was unlike any other.
+1

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Congrats! If I had to start over again, I'd have more kids, and start having them sooner. There's almost never the perfect time, which means that smart people put it off. You want kids. You've got a woman you love. She's pregnant. It's a sign!

There's a saying, "If you want something done, ask a busy person, because they know how to get stuff done." Yup, you'll be busy, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. It can be a huge motivator. Plus, the world needs more smart people having kids, darn it all! :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good day to ya'll!

I've been reading along on this forum for quite some time now, picking up bits and pieces of advice and philosophies here and there.

While I've been trying to cook up my first business that matches the CENTS the last few weeks, I got this totally life changing news.

That's right.

I'm a 31 year old guy from Austria with a passion for making money online, yet I've still to crack that darned code of 'Need' and 'Entry'.

And whilst I'm trying my best as a real wantrepreneur to figure out what niche to get into, my girlfriend through 7 years, whom I love to the stars and beyond btw, tells me that she's pregnant.

Isolated speaking this is really great news to me. I've wanted to become a dad for quite a few years now, but the big question follows: Will it then be it for me when it comes to making it to the fastlane?

I'm already dragging around quite some debth, and I'm in a job that doesn't pay very well. I've not given up hope yet though, which is also the reason I'm taking my time to introduce myself to you fine gentlemen and -women in here.

Yikes
Congratulations to you both.

There's a few excellent parenting & fastlane threads in the forum that are well worth checking out.

Now then... you say you have a passion for "making money online", but still haven't cracked NEED and are trying to cook up your first business that matches CENTS.

Can you see why?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Congratulations

Don't ever again allow yourself the luxury of using your kid as an excuse for your own lack of motivation, lack of success, or any other negativity in your own life

Having a kid is more of a reason… Not less of a reason… To find success and leave a legacy

If you weren't doing a damn thing before the kid got here, it sure isn't the kids fault you aren't successful.

You owe it to yourself, your girlfriend, and now especially your child to make an impact and change your life

Do you want your kid to emulate you? Low income, dragging around debt? They replicate what they see. What do you want your kid to see?

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Well, you've got the family part of the equation for wealth. I don't see the negative there.

And you're 31 and ambitious. Not only that but you were also fortunate enough to find The Millionaire Fastlane . So you've got the fuel, the roadmap and a community of people, some who have achieved what you are pursuing and others who are on the same journey.

You've got this, it'll be hard but that's how life is supposed to be, right?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Congratulations

Don't ever again allow yourself the luxury of using your kid as an excuse for your own lack of motivation, lack of success, or any other negativity in your own life

Having a kid is more of a reason… Not less of a reason… To find success and leave a legacy

If you weren't doing a damn thing before the kid got here, it sure isn't the kids fault you aren't successful.

You owe it to yourself, your girlfriend, and now especially your child to make an impact and change your life

Do you want your kid to emulate you? Low income, dragging around debt? They replicate what they see. What do you want your kid to see?
^^^ All of this.

Growing your business (especially at the start) can be a huge self-development journey. Our parents, schools, and society have forced many scripts on us that hold us back. We have to overcome them if we're to live the life we want.

One of the most powerful things someone made me realise a while ago was:

"If you can't figure it out, then you leave it up to your kids to."

I owe it to them to figure it out.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Congratulations

^^ All of this.

KopyKidd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
394%
Oct 19, 2012
Washington, DC
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Lots of people make the mistake of letting their children be their reason (excuse) for their lack of success and drive... Don't be that parent. Don't EVER let yourself be that parent. It's a cop-out, and it's damaging to your relationship with your child.

Even if you never say it aloud, they'll feel it from you, and it'll turn into full-blown resentment over time, if you let it.

Don't let your child grow up thinking/feeling "Mom and dad would've been better off without me."
Kids already have a heartbreaking way of blaming themselves for their parents problems anyway, and that's a burden no child should bear.

Me and my husband-to-be have an 8 month old. We both work full time, freelance on the side, and we're building two businesses as well. Is it hard? Abso-freakin-lutely. But we suck it up and get shit done. We even moved in with his parents to cut living expenses, so the "Babies are expensive" excuse is out of the window. We work when she's sleeping and drink a lot of caffeine, and we've learned how to be flexible and adaptable.

Lots of people build wealth while raising a family. You take the same steps as a childless person, just in different ways.

Every parent wants to give their kids the world... Don't. That's not your job. Show them how to go take it for themselves.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Over the last 10 years, I've failed at two jobs and spent 3 years failing at business. I have two girls, 7 and a 9. In the last number of months, things have finally turned around. This year is shaping up to be the best year of my life, financially, professionally and personally (funny how those three go together). What I've found is that as I improve one area of my life, other areas of my life improve. That then circles back and improves still other areas. As a dad, I can't think of a better way of training my kids than demonstrating this kind of growth for them. If I can do it, so can they.

So...I'd say, go for it. figure out how you can start a successful business while raising a family. There are alllll sorts of businesses out there. You don't need to be the next Elon Musk. Figure out what works for you, and go for it.

Welcome to the Parent Club. :) You'll never look at things the same way again. Its an amazing journey that requires all of you. ...just like being a business owner requires all of you, as does being in a relationship.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

I started my first real business when I was 21, new father and in debt.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Congratulations

Absolutely this!

Please commit to being the dad of this kid. Be involved, participate, raise the kid.

Your kid will teach you things and open your eyes to experiences you would have missed.

Be grateful everyday for the opportunity to touch the future.

There will be tough times, the kid will be sick, you will be busy. It's called life.

Embrace the life lessons and grow from them.

I wish you, your girlfriend, and your child the best of luck!

Last edited:

Jadyndad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jun 1, 2017
Singapore
Hey man!

I already have a baby and he's 7 months old now. I am in debt with my house and car being financed. My wife is working and I am starting out a new business while taking care of the baby. I am at the stage of searching for manufacturers and have contacted over 20 of them on alibaba over the past 2 weeks. Out of the 20, only 2 or 3 remains and looks promising that we can work on something together.

Having a baby is definitely a big motivation to the fastlane. Its true that there are bound to be a lot more expenses when the baby is here, and it is also true that you will have to spend a lot of time with the baby too. But you will soon come to realise that you would not want to spend much time away from you baby and your love, and you would sacrifice your own expenses for the family. Manage your budget, spend only the essentials, you will definitely work it out.

It just makes it so much more desperate for me to make it. So that I will be able to be there for my family truly, not just weekday nights and weekends. And the only way to do it is through the Fastlane.

Last but not least, CONGRATZ!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did I just lose the Fastlane?

You get to choose if you lost, or gained, the Fastlane.

Your brain is either your ally, or your enemy.

From my bystander's standpoint, having a child is often the best WHY to drive MEANING and PURPOSE. It be a shame if they became an excuse.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
If looking at a beautiful little baby every morning before you go to work doesn't motivate you to free up your time and life from a job, I don't know what will.

Also, don't be the guy that uses his family as an excuse. Your great grandfather wouldn't have.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
My dad started his business while I was a toddler and my sibling was an infant.

I once asked him if he thought it was risky doing that and here is his paraphrased advice:

I started when you two were very young and your mother wasn't working. I couldn't get many clients on my own so I had to start calling everyone I knew and offering my services.

Sometimes I would want to shut down the business because I always got rejected, was sleep deprived, and had one client...

then I'd look at you two in the crib and keep dialing

Some people look at the crib and see it as a reason to quit.

He saw it as a reason to push even harder.

For context: He famously set up his office (a huge 25 pound "laptop" and huge cellphone) and worked in the hospital room when my mom was in labor with me. He even called clients from the hospital phone while my mom was in labor. This is while he still worked for someone else.

bitsinmyblood

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 29, 2017
Washington State, USA
My dad started his business while I was a toddler and my sibling was an infant.

I once asked him if he thought it was risky doing that and here is his paraphrased advice:

I started when you two were very young and your mother wasn't working. I couldn't get many clients on my own so I had to start calling everyone I knew and offering my services.

Sometimes I would want to shut down the business because I always got rejected, was sleep deprived, and had one client...

then I'd look at you two in the crib and keep dialing

Some people look at the crib and see it as a reason to quit.

He saw it as a reason to push even harder.

For context: He famously set up his office (a huge 25 pound "laptop" and huge cellphone) and worked in the hospital room when my mom was in labor with me. He even called clients from the hospital phone while my mom was in labor. This is while he still worked for someone else.

I agree with everyone who says being a parent is the greatest motivation.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I quit my job with $70,000 in debt + a 6-figure mortgage BECAUSE I HAD A KID!

To boot...

My wife's original plan was to go back to work after the kid. After laying eyes on our little beaut, she looked up at me and begged to stay home with her.

I had more debt than income, but we said yes. I plundered cash until we had about $15,000 in savings.

Then I quit.

WHY?

Because I want my kid (and wife) to see I followed my greatest desire. And I do it for them.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
Congrats. Having a baby is only an excuse towards financial freedom. (that sounded terrible ;P)

But honestly, there is nothing in life that is a true wall/obstacle. You may have somethings to worry aobut but start today and you have 9 months before the baby comes. On top of that, you can work from home for the first 2-3 years and spend quality time with your child while running an internet or home-based business.

This isn't a limiting factor, just motivation to succeed. Get away from "wantrepreneur" and start becoming an actual entrepreneur.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
From my bystander's standpoint, having a child is often the best WHY to drive MEANING and PURPOSE. It be a shame if they became an excuse.

I agree with this and a lot of the comments that have been said so far. I have been a motivated individual for most of my life and then a personal "failure" happened and I pretty much just went into maintenance mode for a few years. My wife and I have recently had a child. That in combination with reading "Unscripted " have been huge factors in me turning things around and making something more of myself than the conventional norm.

It is a life-changing event my friend, but it is also manageable. I work a full-time job and have started the beginning stages of building a business while completing two educational courses online.

The motivation and determination to achieve a high level of success will become the standard now, as most of said on this forum that you want to be able to provide the best quality of life for your child. I believe this includes the ability to teach them how to create freedom early on and be able to generate income outside of the 9-5.

Also don't forget you have all this time before the baby is born to get things rolling! Take advantage of it!

paulmp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
407%
Jul 1, 2017
Western Australia
First of all... Congratulations, being a parent is an incredible adventure all on its own!

This is a loss of the fast lane only if you decide it is. You can either succumb to the script, get a job and die a little bit each day. Or you can embrace it and use it as your ultimate motivation.

I have been running / building / selling businesses since 1999, I became a parent at age 31 in 2012. I now have 3 kids (all girls!) ages 4, 3 and 4 months. They are amazing, but I look at them and I know it is imperative that I prepare them for a world that doesn't even exist right now. The jobs and business opportunities that are going to be available to them are in industries that we can't even imagine right now. Part of my motivation in hitting the fast lane properly, finding that true financial freedom, is that I can then set them up for life as well, not a hand out, but I can help them find their own fast lane, invest if necessary and give them options that most of their friends probably won't have.

The other part of my motivation is that we want to travel with them and we already do, they have probably seen more of Australia than most adults in Australia.

Anything in life can be a positive or a negative, it all depends on your mindset. We aren't responsible for many of the things that happen to us in life (although this one is firmly in the "you totally did that" category) we are totally responsible for how we react and what we do in response. We always have a choice.

Nikkiahmet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 25, 2017
cyprus
Congrats to you both! :)
You both will surely become more busy and independent! Kids are great and so much fun you will enjoy being parents.

I have been in a stressful rut for 9 years now since leaving the UK!
All started when i was a single parent and moved to Cyprus to be next to my parents with my son as the father has never wanted to know since the day he was born.

In UK i was alone and was working 2 jobs, also doing apprentice work in college to full fill what i had always wanted to do.
I dropped out with my last 6 months and to a huge gamble to pack everything up to come here as i didnt really have anything else going for me in the UK plus i wanted my son near to his grandparents as it was there first grandchild too.

Not knowing the first weekend when i had arrived on new years eve! with no savings in my pocket my mum told me that she is no longer in love with my dad after 31 years of marriage and i thought CRAP! what will i do now, what happens next?!

My dad said he wanted me to stay here and try build a life for me and my son and mum will not be returning back to UK anyway.
Obviously after they had buy a brand new villa and they both retired early!
Plus i didnt have the money to start all over again in UK after giving up everything!

So dad moved back after 2 weeks with 1 suitcase waiting for the sale of the house, which only took 5 months quick sale and mum moved to Turkey with a new man she had met. I was not invited with my son.
So i found work and started renting an apartment with my son and sorted out my work permits etc.
Things got worse because i became so tired doing 11 hours per day working and too tired for my son and he was missing out with schooling! So i pleaded with my mum if she could take care of my son for a while so i can get myself on my feet abit better.
This was heartbreaking for me because we had never been seperated before, and this was NOT was i came out here for!

2 years my son was in Turkey while i was working hard, trying to survive and build a life for both of us. I visited when i was allowed time off which was very rare.
While i was alone, after 1 year i met somebody and we was together for 16 months untill i found out he was in a marriage himself and this of course broke my heart more.
I felt like giving up, and family was broken. Mum emailed me once in a blue moon and dad was silent and getting on with his life. Brother and sister blamed me for not trying to keep them together. But me being the eldest i stepped back as it was not my business and id have to learn to accept whether i like it or not.

Finally my son come back because i was pushed out from my mum, not asking if im ok or if im alive etc!
I never felt so sad, depresses and lonely.

3 years later i met somebody else but i was abit skeptical at first from the last guy i had met 3 years before, i was affraid to waste my time and have my heart broken again ontop of all this mess.
But i took the risk as all are not the same.
Yes he is local cypriot here and after 2 weeks he introduced me to his family which happened to be on a bayram, So the house was full of relatives! i was so nervous lol... cringe!
They made me welcome of course, untill a week later they decided to research me and got hold of my passport OUT OF MY BAG! and one of their sons is police did a check to research me! This broke my heart and made me so angry!
They did this because i was a single parent and they new my dead end job here was managing a bar and i was working later hours and obviously paying for 2 different babysitters and the rents etc. So really no money left in my pocket after all bills paid and food on the table.

His family changed there mentality towards me and then so did ALL the relatives. We thought stuff this enough is enough and we decided to get married lol
Did that turn out well?! Not really.
We tried to continue our life and get on with it just keeping silent and working our jobs.
We also had many fall outs with double stress and gossip in the family. It was like they was trying to get between us.
I became pregnant, we had a daughter together and of course shes all noticed and not me or my son.
But i did stop the gifts coming home from hubbys visits to his family or from his relations left at his parents for her as there was nothing for my son and it was upsetting for him to see that his sister has gifts and he was pushed out! end of day i have 2 kids not just 1 and i dont want any jelously and tension between them later from this.

My hubby is a good man, but hes quiet nature and will not speak his mind to any of his family or relations and i dont understand this one. He just tells me he has finished with them all. But i know truefully that their culture and mentality is different. But we are torn and have our fair fall outs too.
Obviously many more things have happened and id bee writing a book with my life here. I Have not spoke to my mum for 4 years now as she stopped speaking and dad now 3 years as he went his seperate way too.
No i dont have any family/relations of my own either. Its hard because i wanted happiness in my life and didnt come here to find marriage or have a child but the unexpected happens. Love my kids to bits!!! NO MONEY WILL BUY THAT LOVE I HAVE FOR THEM EVER!! But the love is dying out with me and hubby because we have too much hard tension and i am under alot of heartache too.

Cherish every moment you have with your child, Mine are the best thing that has happened to me!
Just wish i was abit more complete.
In time.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Good day to ya'll!

That's right.

Yikes

Oh, interesting, totally missed this one. I'm 30 with a wife of 7 years and a baby on the way. Wife has a job and I work from home. Some similarities. Some differences. There's a lot of uncertainties now that we don't have the military to fall back on.

Anyway, I don't really have any advice. But in a sense I can relate. Fear follows uncertainty. I don't know what'll happen tomorrow. Will I have clients? Will I be able to pay myself? Can I support this baby? I don't know. But I will.

Seems like a roll of the dice, but there's more than luck involved when you find determination and the will to win.
If you know you can, you might. If you quit before you start, you won't.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
It's up to you if you lose it or not. My son is 4. Since he was born I've created 4 software products (that required many months of work), 2 that failed, plus my current project (SaaS & app).

When I'm home all my son wants to do is play with me. It's not easy but when you feel you MUST reach the fastlane, you find a way. And when you stop wasting time on things unimportant, you realize you have more time than you thought you had.

Before I had a kid I was talking to a group of aquaintenances about some of my projects that I was working on and one of them said "how do you have time to do all of that?" "By not having a kid," said one of them, as if that's the reason he's not doing shit himself.

Now that I have a kid, nothing has changed and I'm more motivated than ever. I'm sure that when I reach my goal and quit my job, that same guy will claim it's because I only have one kid and not multiple like he does.

Last edited:

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago

Firstly - Congratulations on your next chapter.

On reading your post, I've already seen 3 superb (FTEs) that can literally light a fire under your butt to get your Fastlane in a gear. lol.

Are you kidding me? Lol, man, I'll just tell you that you are not alone, every single individual in this space has experienced one of, if not all of what you are asking at some time that drove us to our journeys. This is not the end of the world for you, but I will admit that depending on the outcomes you want for you and your family, you have some choices to make - nope, we're not here to judge you or to tell you what to do, this ball is mos def in your court.

Oh, but most importantly, to answer your question, NO, you're not going to lose at the fastlane because of your circumstances, what can make you lose at fastlaning is if you make a solid choice to not make it happen.

JAVB

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Apr 20, 2011
Florida, USA
I agree with most people here saying that it's more of a positive thing the fact that you are having a kid, and that it can (and most certainly will) become a strong motivator. I do want to add something though for people that want to start their business and that are also thinking of having a kid but not yet expecting.

Analysing your context, it is not a bad thing nor an excuse the fact that you are expecting a kid, but, it is also true that it can be harder to build a successful business while learning to be (or being) a parent; a good one.

My daughter is 1 year old, and I started my first business 7 years ago. I can't imagine going through the grind of entrepreneurship and the work and lack of sleep I've been through in the last 12 months, all at the same time.

One has to be optimistic, but also realistic and true to facts. If you are reading this and are thinking about starting a business and having a kid at the same time, think twice and do one thing at a time. Both are major projects, plan accordingly. If you are already there, then no excuses, put in the hours and make it happen, just don't expect it to be any easier, although for some more motivating.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
Good day to ya'll!

That's right.

Yikes

First off - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Becoming a dad is one of the greatest experiences life has to give. You're about to go through a roller coaster of emotions, but I can guarantee you that you've never found yourself smiling and laughing as much in your life until you have a kid around. They're little miracles of joy and love.

As for the fastlane, you've just given yourself an even bigger reason to move lanes for a number of reasons:
  • Time - if you stay in the slowlane, you'll rarely get to see your kid. It'll be the weekends and whatever time you can find once you get home from work (i.e. when you're tired and not at your best)
  • Role Model - kids are always trying to copy their parents. You're their number one role model. Do you want them to follow you into the slowlane?
  • Hypocrisy - you know the fastlane is a better bet and you'll try to teach that to them, but if they see you in the slowlane, they'll think you're a hypocrite and won't be as willing to learn
  • Teacher - your kids will come to you for life lessons. If you've learned how to move lanes, you can help them when it's their time to make the lane change.
I'm still trying to move lanes, but I can guarantee you that my motivation is my kids. I want to inspire them to go after their own ambitions, not follow the script.

Everything I'm learning now, I want to pass onto my kids. When they're old enough, I want to have the skills and knowledge to pass to them to give them a head start in the fastlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...