The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm gonna be a dad.. Did I just lose the Fastlane?

Chris McCarron

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 26, 2017
Glasgow
  1. Are there negatives to being a dad? Yup.
  2. Will you get less shit done? Yup.
  3. Are there more positives than negatives in business to being a dad? Hell yeah!
  4. Will you do better in business? If you use it correctly, then Hell yeah!
I want to expand a little on my fourth point: You'll be able to connect with more people in business on a personal level because you'll be able to associate your daily life with their's.

Additionally, a lot of funny stuff happens that helps to remove mental barriers about what you would like to propose. I.e. I often talk about the time my son was shooting me with Nerf bullets while I was on a call worth $85k.

Finally, you stop being afraid and putting things off the moment you think about how you need to do it for your family... Not for yourself.

Sounds simple, but insanely effective.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yoann

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
May 12, 2018
Saint Cloud
Congratulations !
If you can be a great father, being successful in your professional life will be easy as hell.

To tell you a bit of my story, when my wife was pregnant, I really freaked out, I wasn't ready to be a father AT ALL... I really like to be at peace and lonely, I'm the kind of guy who loves to walk in a deserted place just because there is noone around... so when she told me we would have a baby, man, my world collapsed. I almost fainted with discomfort. "Man, what am I going to do now...." I kept saying to myself.

Weeks passed, but I held on, I tried to work on myself, I wasn't planning to leave anyway or take any other stupid decision. I couldn't change the situation so I changed myself. When my son was born, everything had changed, I became more than ready in a few days.

Now, my son is 5 years old and has been diagnosed an Asperger Syndrome when he was 3. So we had to take care of him 10 times more than a neurotypical baby. He's now doing absolutely fine as we took it very early with specific courses and training.

My son and I have now an incredible relationship and my couple is stronger than ever (we're getting married in September)
So if you're ready to be a father, having a child can't stop you, the fastlane isn't lost, you might actually get to it faster if you turn this great news to your advantage. As I read in most successful stories the secret is : never give up !

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I have been building 3 businesses over the past 3,5 years. Starting with the first business right before my first son was born. This next to a full-time job. My wife doesnt work and takes care of the kids. I worked on the business in the evening after the kids went to bed.

Two of the businesses have failed even though I've put a lot of effort in both of them. But not because of the kids. Now I'm working on the third business but since the birth of our second son last November it started to become very difficult to handle. Taking care of a small baby and a very demanding toddler, plus working on my business and constantly thinking of how to move forward with no proper mental rest, has caused me to collapse completely about a month ago. Exhausted, dizzy, blurred vision, I couldn't drag myself out of bed. And if was able to that, I barely could eat breakfast and had to return to bed immediately after that. I had to call in sick to my full-time job for 2 weeks.

Obviously I'm haven't worked on my business either. Only this week I'm starting to regain energy and eye sight. But I have to take it very slowly or I feel the stress symptoms returning. I'm still not working on my business. I have paying customers but I'm completely stuck and have no idea on how to grow and move forward. Because I'm so stuck and all this thinking contributed to my collapse, I might call this a failure soon too.

In hindsight I should have seen it coming because some light symptoms started to pop up earlier already. It has been a good wake up call and I'm glad it happened. I can set my priorities straight and focus on what really matters. In both life and business. I'm not giving up, but I'm certainly reconsidering the route forward.

So, yes it's possible to start a business with kids. Just be very careful about how far you push yourself without proper rest

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I found the birth of my first to be extremely motivating, in a way that I had not felt before. It used to be about living comfortably on my own schedule, now it's about building a legacy for my kids, so that they can do the same.

Matt Dassel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 15, 2018
I think there might be many men being first time parent and thinking their job makes them independent. Being on the slow lane.

I hope so much to have a family and I am working hard to not have a single piece of psychological resentment when they come.

Let's just kick this thought out of the way. Being on the fast lane and working for complete independece sadly is a potential that other people may think is not in their reach. And for you that is your leverage and opportunity.

Counter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 21, 2018
Congratulation Yikes86 on becoming a father. It is the best feeling anybody can have when he becomes a parent for the first time. No, you will not lose fastlane. However, the first six months will be very difficult. The baby requires that of you. So, be ready.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
So there you have it, a big unanimous yes to the challenge of Fatherhood and the best reason to never give up the journey.
Good day to ya'll!

I've been reading along on this forum for quite some time now, picking up bits and pieces of advice and philosophies here and there.

While I've been trying to cook up my first business that matches the CENTS the last few weeks, I got this totally life changing news.

My girlfriend's pregnant with our first child.

That's right.

But since this is an introduction thread, I better introduce myself properly.

I'm a 31 year old guy from Austria with a passion for making money online, yet I've still to crack that darned code of 'Need' and 'Entry'.

And whilst I'm trying my best as a real wantrepreneur to figure out what niche to get into, my girlfriend through 7 years, whom I love to the stars and beyond btw, tells me that she's pregnant.

Isolated speaking this is really great news to me. I've wanted to become a dad for quite a few years now, but the big question follows: Will it then be it for me when it comes to making it to the fastlane?

I'm already dragging around quite some debth, and I'm in a job that doesn't pay very well. I've not given up hope yet though, which is also the reason I'm taking my time to introduce myself to you fine gentlemen and -women in here.

Have any of you been in a situation like mine? Not much cash, poor paying job, some vague dreams and a baby on the way?

And did you make it anyhow?

Best regards and peace out!
Yikes

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I think I responded to thread a long time ago. But here it is in the feed again.

Being a dad not only opened my mind up to new products and new opportunities, but it also gave me the possibilities of executing on those opportunities by being the authentic, relatable, owner of a business who's target market is young families.

Of course there are challenges. You gotta spend time with the kids. So you build systems, hire, and automate, so that you are free to do that.

Plus... what can me more satisfying than teaching the next generation the possibilities that life has to offer? My 3 year old already understands the difference between a business and a job. She's watching me build something from the ground up.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...