The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm going to wash windows for money tomorrow for the first time in my life. Any tips?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Dude, if a 16 year old kid knocked on my door with a ladder and window washing equipment, I'd give him the job whether my windows needed it or not.
Spot on.

I reward entrepreneurial spirit in kids. I’d tip well. Sadly, no one ever knocks on my door and my windows do need cleaned.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Reading your post, you're very right. I do overthink a lot.

Today is sunday and it's basically a rest day here in Germany, so I'm not too sure yet if I should knock on residential doors today. I'm going to ask restaurants today. Imma tell you who I find more intimidating later ;)
Thanks for the great answer!

I am ignorant of German culture so I don't know how acceptable this decision is or isn't. But as an American I just heard you say that today is a day when people are usually home, so you are going to again avoid knocking on doors.

Really?

Here's my last tip...

In business, when the stakes of a decision are low and you are not too sure if something will work or not, try it out before you decide not to do it. Put your hypothesis to the test. Sunday might be the best day to knock on doors. Or it might be the worst.

But you don't know. So find out!

Don't let your thoughts and fears stop you. Now you're going to wait another other week to find out if Sunday is a money making day or not...

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
People, who hire people to clean their windows, have clean windows. So they most likely will hire you more than people with dirty windows. Not cleani windows are the important thing, but let them clean recurring.

You will not make friends by cleaning windows on sunday in Germany, but you well can ask, if they want the service the next day.

In Germany, you will not find as many people let you clean as in USA by knocking the door.
You need mouth to mouth!

You can try to go to small businesses, ask the owner in person, if you may clean his windows for free ( or a tip) to get a word of mouth.
Business owners will more likely give you a chance to start your business.

When it works, don’t forget to get your business registrated and make the tax. Otherwise you will not survive in Germany . We have a nice Abmahnwesen.

If you have problems regarding the language, pm me!

Viel Erfolg!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hm, might just be my insecurities kicking in, but I'm a bit sceptic towards this because I think the German attitude is a bit different. I feel like most of us are grumpy and "strict" by default.
I'm going to find out more in the future anyways!

Let me tell you a story.

When I was around your age, maybe a little older 17 or 18, there was a girl that hung out in my group of friends. She was so gorgeous and a really beautiful person on the inside, I was besotted with her.

I got butterflies in my stomach when she spoke to me and I used to fantasise about asking her out and her saying yes, but I knew that she was too beautiful for me, she was a 10 and I was a 6, so no need to humiliate myself by actually asking her out.

Just be content that she's your friend and she likes you.

Then another (much better looking and richer) friend of mine went out with her and I genuinely put feelings for her aside, I never fantasised about her again and I moved on.

Years later in my twenties I was speaking with the friend who went out with the girl. I told him that before he went out with her, I was obsessed with her.

You know what he told me?

He said that she once confided in him that she liked me, but didn't think I liked her back because I never made a move. ‍♂️

The moral of the story is; don't think you can know the minds of people. If you think they are grumpy and don't want to speak to you, then that is what you will encounter. I thought the girl was too beautiful for me, so she was. If I had just concentrated on myself and not tried to second guess her, I would have had a romantic relationship with her.

So don't worry about people not accepting you as you try and get your entrepreneurial journey started, just do it and don't try and second guess your potential clients.

I understand what you say about Germany being strict, my brother has lived there for forty years (ich spreche ein bissen Deutsch also) but always remember, you have a responsibility for your own actions and reactions, not the ones of other people. If you smile at someone and they don't smile back, that is fine because you are still you and you don't know why they haven't responded in kind, but don't let that stop you being yourself.

Also as a bonus tip, don't just focus on wealthy houses and remember that there are windows around the back you can't see.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Mission Report

I wanted to go out on sunday, asking restaurants to clean their windows. I literally had everything packed and was ready to move. I was only saying goodbye to my mom and then she interrupted me: "Today is sunday and a holiday. It's rude to clean on this holiday"
I was then like: "stfu (not literally) , let me google first before I trust you"
I then found stuff that kinda scared me to go out. It also wasn't good that I was past the time I wanted to leave. I wanted to ask the restaurants right before their afternoon break (where there are no guests) so I could clean their windows without bugging their customers, which kinda was a value skew I think? But they were soon entering the break and I wasn't sure at the time if they were still there. Reflecting on this, this was pretty much just an excuse but whatever, I'll do it better the next time.

In business, when the stakes of a decision are low and you are not too sure if something will work or not, try it out before you decide not to do it. Put your hypothesis to the test. Sunday might be the best day to knock on doors. Or it might be the worst.
I failed to follow through this. Also, I'll never listen to my mum talk when it's about buisiness ever again...(!)

So yeah... Lessons learned (hopefully). I'm going to follow your guys' advice (specifically atm @BizyDad, @Ing and @Roli ) and first try do something before debunking myself beforehand.

Now, I'll answer some of the posts:

I am ignorant of German culture so I don't know how acceptable this decision is or isn't. But as an American I just heard you say that today is a day when people are usually home, so you are going to again avoid knocking on doors.

Really?

Here's my last tip...

But you don't know. So find out!

Don't let your thoughts and fears stop you. Now you're going to wait another other week to find out if Sunday is a money making day or not...
I'll try it out and thank you very much!
People, who hire people to clean their windows, have clean windows. So they most likely will hire you more than people with dirty windows. Not cleani windows are the important thing, but let them clean recurring.

You will not make friends by cleaning windows on sunday in Germany, but you well can ask, if they want the service the next day.

In Germany, you will not find as many people let you clean as in USA by knocking the door.
You need mouth to mouth!

You can try to go to small businesses, ask the owner in person, if you may clean his windows for free ( or a tip) to get a word of mouth.
Business owners will more likely give you a chance to start your business.

When it works, don’t forget to get your business registrated and make the tax. Otherwise you will not survive in Germany . We have a nice Abmahnwesen.

If you have problems regarding the language, pm me!

Viel Erfolg!
Interesting point about the clean windows...
Thank you very much for the many tips! Yeah, I think I'd get absolutely ####### if I wouldn't registrate the buisiness...lol...
Mal schauen, ob ich es hinkriege...
Let me tell you a story.

When I was around your age, maybe a little older 17 or 18, there was a girl that hung out in my group of friends. She was so gorgeous and a really beautiful person on the inside, I was besotted with her.

I got butterflies in my stomach when she spoke to me and I used to fantasise about asking her out and her saying yes, but I knew that she was too beautiful for me, she was a 10 and I was a 6, so no need to humiliate myself by actually asking her out.

Just be content that she's your friend and she likes you.

Then another (much better looking and richer) friend of mine went out with her and I genuinely put feelings for her aside, I never fantasised about her again and I moved on.

Years later in my twenties I was speaking with the friend who went out with the girl. I told him that before he went out with her, I was obsessed with her.

You know what he told me?

He said that she once confided in him that she liked me, but didn't think I liked her back because I never made a move. ‍♂️

The moral of the story is; don't think you can know the minds of people. If you think they are grumpy and don't want to speak to you, then that is what you will encounter. I thought the girl was too beautiful for me, so she was. If I had just concentrated on myself and not tried to second guess her, I would have had a romantic relationship with her.

So don't worry about people not accepting you as you try and get your entrepreneurial journey started, just do it and don't try and second guess your potential clients.

I understand what you say about Germany being strict, my brother has lived there for forty years (ich spreche ein bissen Deutsch also) but always remember, you have a responsibility for your own actions and reactions, not the ones of other people. If you smile at someone and they don't smile back, that is fine because you are still you and you don't know why they haven't responded in kind, but don't let that stop you being yourself.

Also as a bonus tip, don't just focus on wealthy houses and remember that there are windows around the back you can't see.
This story really hurt reading haha ^^'
Thanks for the encouragement and perspective-change!
Also the bonus tip certainly is true.

Thank you all the for the constant support inside this threat!
I'll swear that I'll make at least one sale this week...

ps: I ordered a Unger ninja squeegee and washer. My previous squeegee and washer were pretty a$$. Supposed to come on wednesday. Excited!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Mission Report

I wanted to go out on sunday, asking restaurants to clean their windows. I literally had everything packed and was ready to move. I was only saying goodbye to my mom and then she interrupted me: "Today is sunday and a holiday. It's rude to clean on this holiday"
I was then like: "stfu (not literally) , let me google first before I trust you"
I then found stuff that kinda scared me to go out. It also wasn't good that I was past the time I wanted to leave. I wanted to ask the restaurants right before their afternoon break (where there are no guests) so I could clean their windows without bugging their customers, which kinda was a value skew I think? But they were soon entering the break and I wasn't sure at the time if they were still there. Reflecting on this, this was pretty much just an excuse but whatever, I'll do it better the next time.

I failed to follow through this. Also, I'll never listen to my mum talk when it's about buisiness ever again...(!)

So yeah... Lessons learned (hopefully). I'm going to follow your guys' advice (specifically atm @BizyDad, @Ing and @Roli ) and first try do something before debunking myself beforehand.

Now, I'll answer some of the posts:

I'll try it out and thank you very much!

Interesting point about the clean windows...
Thank you very much for the many tips! Yeah, I think I'd get absolutely ####### if I wouldn't registrate the buisiness...lol...
Mal schauen, ob ich es hinkriege...

This story really hurt reading haha ^^'
Thanks for the encouragement and perspective-change!
Also the bonus tip certainly is true.

Thank you all the for the constant support inside this threat!
I'll swear that I'll make at least one sale this week...

ps: I ordered a Unger ninja squeegee and washer. My previous squeegee and washer were pretty a$$. Supposed to come on wednesday. Excited!
That's awesome, :) it was painful for me too, but a valuable lesson.

You know what's funny? As I was walking my dog this afternoon I saw a window cleaner and thought of you!

Good luck and keep us posted.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Mission Report

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went out and went inside like 8 shops and the 9th shop let me do the windows. I was kinda struggling so far so I said "I'll do all the outside windows for 10€" and she accepted. I did all of them and she gave me 10€ as a tip! So basically 20€ for an hour of work! I feel so good right now! The only bad feeling I have is the fact that I forgot one of my micro fibre towels xDD
(it was only a cheap one though so no worry).
Something that I faced a lot from the stores were these:

• "The buisiness owner isn't here"
  • "We already have a window cleaner (sometimes they were doing it themselves)"
Do you guys perhaps have an idea on how to solve these?
I already kinda have vague ideas but I wanted to hear your guys' takes on it.

Now I'll have to do school shit though. Got a test tomorrow...

I think this was all I wanted to say?
Thank you guys so much for all the help!
All of your guys' supportive expectations really kicked me in the a$$ sometimes and got me going.
Thanks!

(Btw, before I went out, my mum said (I tried to leave the convo asap btw): "You'll have no luck here. Perhaps in city "x" which is in another state, but not here". I proved her WRONG. F*ck yes)

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
If decision maker isn't present:

"what times of day/day of the week is he most likely to be in?"

Return at those times once or twice- If still can't speak to him, leave your contact. You can also prepare a nice and informative placard to leave behind as well. Those worked well for call-backs when I went d2d.

If "we already have a guy doing that" or similar objection:

"sounds like they are doing a good job for you and you have no reason to make a change."

If they open up, you can likely get them to try your service at least one time.
If they agree and try to shut the convo down, onto the next prospect.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
... and maybe ask if they know anyone who might need their windows cleaned or if they have any advice for you.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
If decision maker isn't present:

"what times of day/day of the week is he most likely to be in?"

Return at those times once or twice- If still can't speak to him, leave your contact. You can also prepare a nice and informative placard to leave behind as well. Those worked well for call-backs when I went d2d.

If "we already have a guy doing that" or similar objection:

"sounds like they are doing a good job for you and you have no reason to make a change."

If they open up, you can likely get them to try your service at least one time.
That's probably a good tip!
It's probably going to be fun trying to change their mind...
Thank you!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Mission Report

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went out and went inside like 8 shops and the 9th shop let me do the windows. I was kinda struggling so far so I said "I'll do all the outside windows for 10€" and she accepted. I did all of them and she gave me 10€ as a tip! So basically 20€ for an hour of work! I feel so good right now! The only bad feeling I have is the fact that I forgot one of my micro fibre towels xDD
(it was only a cheap one though so no worry).
Something that I faced a lot from the stores were these:

I already kinda have vague ideas but I wanted to hear your guys' takes on it.

Now I'll have to do school shit though. Got a test tomorrow...

I think this was all I wanted to say?
Thank you guys so much for all the help!
All of your guys' supportive expectations really kicked me in the a$$ sometimes and got me going.
Thanks!

(Btw, before I went out, my mum said (I tried to leave the convo asap btw): "You'll have no luck here. Perhaps in city "x" which is in another state, but not here". I proved her WRONG. F*ck yes)

Perfect! As I said, a lot of adults will be pleased to see the endeavour of the young, which is why you got the tip.

Business owner isn't here is a good objection to get! Because the alternative is the person you ask pretends to be the decision maker and says no. So just ask when they'll be back, also get into a small conversation with the employeee.

Ask what the boss is like, when's the best time to catch them in a good mood, etc. get small bits of info like this and it could help, also the employee will remember you and put in a good word with the boss.

If they already have a window cleaner, ask what they do and how much they charge. Maybe you could add an extra service or charge a bit less. Maybe you could wash their cars instead/as well, I imagine the equipment is similar.

You will find the more you do this, the easier things like tests at school will get.

Your mother had the same attitude you did before you tried and you see how you both had the potential to be right. This will put yo in the mind of trying to find out reasons you can do something instead of ones suggesting you can't. You have opened your mind to the world of opportunity waiting for you.

Keep going!

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
"The business owner isn't here"
- That's okay, what day/time should I be back?
(don't ask a question that they can simply reply "No" to)

"We already have a window cleaner"
- That's great! well here's my card if you ever need a backup :D I'm available during XX days..

(swing by in a few weeks)

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Mission Report

The day after I got my first sale, I turned sick. lol
To this day, I'm still sick. Even as I'm typing I'm having a headache.

Though today I still went regardless (perhaps that's why I'm having a headache right now?). I went to around 8-11 shops and didn't get any jobs. It honestly felt really scary and I kinda hated it but still pulled through. Near the end, I decided to change my approach though. I was like "Hello! Window cleaner at your disposal!" and it got better. I also made properly sure to smile while there. Perhaps I wasn't doing it fully before?
The good news though:
I got 2 phone numbers (from Ladies... ;)).
One was for whenever they needed a window cleaner or something and the other was for a buisiness owner who needed to get her house done.

I walked like 6km in total and got a headache midway so I had to go home eventually.
Tomorrow is saturday. I think I'll go out again. This time for residential probably. The only "problem" is that like 70% of the all the houses are for multiple families. I feel kinda weird about these. Not only are the ledges at the windows dog shit for pole work but there also usually are only a few windows that you can clean.

little rant:
All of this stuff is pretty scary.
Not only is it scary because you have to face rejection 95% of the time (at least so far) but also because you don't know if it'll work out.
-"I can't drive a car. What if I knock at every door in my city and that was it? Should I go per train or what?"
-"Are the window cleaning prices just really shit here in Germany? One guy got them cleaned all cleaned for like 20 bucks. Does stuff like this only work in America?"
/rant end

Well, I'll pull through regardless.
Either this or studying for years for a job I'll dislike and pushing my passions aside...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Mission Report

The day after I got my first sale, I turned sick. lol
To this day, I'm still sick. Even as I'm typing I'm having a headache.

Though today I still went regardless (perhaps that's why I'm having a headache right now?). I went to around 8-11 shops and didn't get any jobs. It honestly felt really scary and I kinda hated it but still pulled through. Near the end, I decided to change my approach though. I was like "Hello! Window cleaner at your disposal!" and it got better. I also made properly sure to smile while there. Perhaps I wasn't doing it fully before?
The good news though:
One was for whenever they needed a window cleaner or something and the other was for a buisiness owner who needed to get her house done.

I walked like 6km in total and got a headache midway so I had to go home eventually.
Tomorrow is saturday. I think I'll go out again. This time for residential probably. The only "problem" is that like 70% of the all the houses are for multiple families. I feel kinda weird about these. Not only are the ledges at the windows dog shit for pole work but there also usually are only a few windows that you can clean.

little rant:
All of this stuff is pretty scary.
Not only is it scary because you have to face rejection 95% of the time (at least so far) but also because you don't know if it'll work out.
-"I can't drive a car. What if I knock at every door in my city and that was it? Should I go per train or what?"
-"Are the window cleaning prices just really shit here in Germany? One guy got them cleaned all cleaned for like 20 bucks. Does stuff like this only work in America?"
/rant end

Well, I'll pull through regardless.
Either this or studying for years for a job I'll dislike and pushing my passions aside...
Love that you're making people smile.

"Be the sort of person people want to buy from."
(Craig Desorcy)

Keep going.

Consider keeping track of miles/steps walked, and the number of people you speak to each day. Write it down in your journal or calendar on the wall.

Eventually you'll be able to bid people a cheery farewell even if they say No.

Remember:

"It doesn't get easier, you get stronger."
(Tony Black, RIP)

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
For multi family ring the first floor and if they answer simply ask if they want their first floor windows cleaned.

They might possibly be the building owner and hire you for the entire building.

Keep talking to strangers and developing that muscle.

Commercial is good but don't just rely on them. Residential works too.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
There are only two ways that this won't work out for you.

1. If you stop learning how to get better, this won't work out.

2. If you quit, this won't work out.

But if you are committed to consistently taking these actions, learning from your mistakes how to get better, then it is certain to work out for you.

Be tenacious.

What if I knock at every door in my city and that was it?
Then do it again.

You'll get more yesses the second time around because people will see you as a consistent professional.

Keep doing it until you own the city. Keep improving. Keep leveling up your game. Let people see you grow. Everybody appreciates a hustler.

Near the end, I decided to change my approach though. I was like "Hello! Window cleaner at your disposal!" and it got better.

This is an excellent example of you being able to learn this business. Great adjustment.

This is why I'm confident you will succeed, as long as you stay determined to. Keep going, keep growing.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Mission Report

Knocked on 42 doors.
Had one person who would've charged me 8€ for 3 relatively big windows in and out but I refused. Thinking back, I should've taken the offer lol. And one would've probably let me do the windows but had to go. I gave her my phone number. She at first asked "do you have a card?". Maybe I should get some. I kinda need to register the business first tho and that's a real pain in the a$$ as a minor...
The rest wouldn't want anything.
Before I went to that place, I checked the neighbourhoods and marked certain areas.
I went with such a neighbourhood:
reihenhaus-garten-terasse-balkon-familie.jpg

Houses like these, but it's winter ( -2°C) and super ugly.
From the images of google earth, I was expecting the "Teacher-Type" people that @Johnny boy mentioned in a previous post of his in this thread.
What I got was 80% old people lol.
Some of the decline reasons were:
"I still do them by myself"
"My personal caretaker does the windows for me"

One problem I encountered: My Pitch is F*cking garbage. It's like 1-2 sentences long and awful. I sometimes trip over my own words or get confused with my own grammar while I'm talking so that doesn't help either.
I noticed that the people always looked at my bucket and equip next to my, so maybe I can do something there.
Here were my usual pitches:
"Hello! Window Cleaner at your disposal!"
"Good day! I'm going from door to door and asking to clean the windows"
"Hello! I'm right now in the neighbourhood and cleaning peoples' windows. Are you interested? (while having an empty bucket lol)"

Before I got out of my house, I was really scared. Then I arrived at the neighbourhood, knocked a few doors and felt okay.
Afterwards, on my way home, with freezing feet and hands, I felt fulfilled and confident. Not necessarily about the business (lol) but because of the rejection perhaps? In the sense that "perhaps it actually isn't that bad? It's just a simple "no" and not the end of the world".

rant (kinda):
Man, it's kind of hard to write these reports. I have so much at the back of my head and need to get it all into a report.
I just hope it's not too confusing for you guys to read lol.
/end

I have found a high probability "Teacher Type" neighbourhood btw. Around 20 houses or something, modern, each house is split into 2 halves. I was walking around there and only saw young/middle aged people. The problem? Equipment-wise I need to get a smaller squeegee and an unger tip and get it to fit onto my Leifheit pole (NEVER BUY LEIFHEIT). Some windows are also slightly guarded by rails.

So in conclusion
-I need to create a better pitch
-Perhaps change something about appearance? Maybe already walk with a bucket full of water? Maybe get a belt?
-Get unger tip and smaller squeegee and applicator

To finish it up: I have another worry. I'm spending so much money but only have made like 20 bucks in profit.

Well...
Let's push through...

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
And one would've probably let me do the windows but had to go. I gave her my phone number. She at first asked "do you have a card?". Maybe I should get some.
Next time this happens

"When should I come back, tomorrow morning or afternoon?"

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
"Here I'll give you my number I'll text you with my name. What's your number?" *pulls out phone*

"are you a business?"
"yes it's just my name though"

some lines you can use:

*says any objection about anything*
"okay okay but what if it was the best service of your life and the best price ever and guaranteed you'd be satisfied? Obvious choice then right? *smiling and full of energy*

"I am raising money for poor teenagers. Their names are me, I'm the poor teenager".

you can literally say anything to people there's no real repercussions.

"did you know dirty windows causes cancer? it's true so for the low low price of $179 I can prevent you from getting cancer"

"we're cleaning windows but the price was so low people thought I was homeless that's why we raised the prices a bit"

bring a piece of paper and hold it up silently and it says "hello, I am deaf and raising money by cleaning windows" and make it awkward, and then burst out "I'm just kidding but I am washing windows can I get you a price?"

"here let me show you a sneak peek" *washes one inch of their window* "ah man you can't just let one little spot be clean it makes everything look like crap, might as well do the rest"

saw a video of a guy selling door to door and he says "we're giving discounts to (insert something you noticed about them like their clothes or style)" something like "we're giving discounts to tall guys with brown shirts, oh man looks like it's your lucky day". Absolutely a killer line steal that one all day.

you are not a window cleaner, you are an entertainer.

people do NOT think objectively and logically. They think "meh, F*ck this kid and whatever he's selling" or they think "HAHA :) SURE, I'LL BUY IT" and the actual consideration of "do I actually need my windows cleaned?" is like 10% of their mental focus. and those thoughts are driven by your energy + their mood. It's a battle of will. If you can transmit your energy and ideas into their head you will win more.

It's all emotion. embrace the absurdity.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
"Here I'll give you my number I'll text you with my name. What's your number?" *pulls out phone*

"are you a business?"
"yes it's just my name though"

some lines you can use:

*says any objection about anything*
"okay okay but what if it was the best service of your life and the best price ever and guaranteed you'd be satisfied? Obvious choice then right? *smiling and full of energy*

"I am raising money for poor teenagers. Their names are me, I'm the poor teenager".

you can literally say anything to people there's no real repercussions.

"did you know dirty windows causes cancer? it's true so for the low low price of $179 I can prevent you from getting cancer"

"we're cleaning windows but the price was so low people thought I was homeless that's why we raised the prices a bit"

bring a piece of paper and hold it up silently and it says "hello, I am deaf and raising money by cleaning windows" and make it awkward, and then burst out "I'm just kidding but I am washing windows can I get you a price?"

"here let me show you a sneak peek" *washes one inch of their window* "ah man you can't just let one little spot be clean it makes everything look like crap, might as well do the rest"

saw a video of a guy selling door to door and he says "we're giving discounts to (insert something you noticed about them like their clothes or style)" something like "we're giving discounts to tall guys with brown shirts, oh man looks like it's your lucky day". Absolutely a killer line steal that one all day.

you are not a window cleaner, you are an entertainer.

people do NOT think objectively and logically. They think "meh, F*ck this kid and whatever he's selling" or they think "HAHA :) SURE, I'LL BUY IT" and the actual consideration of "do I actually need my windows cleaned?" is like 10% of their mental focus. and those thoughts are driven by your energy + their mood. It's a battle of will. If you can transmit your energy and ideas into their head you will win more.

It's all emotion. embrace the absurdity.
I'll try them out the next time! Thanks!
The youtuber with the compliments was "Josh Lester" btw. Great guy.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Mission Report

I left my house and this time approached single family homes. I only knocked on 5-6 houses and 4 answered.
I tried to do some variations of Johnny's tips and it went alright. One owner wanted me to leave my number in the mail box just in case. I don't think he'll call back though.

My experience at the last house though was kinda frightening.
I knocked and an old man came out. He said that he wasn't interested so I said: "Do you want to at least know the price?"
And he was "Sure". I ran around the home and counted up the windows. When I ran back to him, there was a middle-aged woman.
"We don't need to get our windows cleaned", she said while having one of the most serious and defensive faces I've seen in a while.
I backed off and felt like garbage. She 100% thought I was scamming some seniors or something.

/super cringe rant:
Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I feel like everybody thinks of you the way you're not and it's just so demotivating.
For example one of my family members:
I haven't had a really nice hug in a long time, have diagnosed depression and am trying my F*cking best yet they call me "lazy", "heartless" and so on. Today, I laid on my bathroom heater because I was freezing inside my shitty room and was preparing to leave for the window cleaning asking and that person couldn't even tolerate me inside there "just because".

It's so F*cking cold (it was and still is literally snowing) and I feel like this is the worst time to clean windows.
/end

I don't fully know why but that last experience messed with me.
I think I'll just go play a few video games with friends and go to bed early today.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I respect the hussle.

Anytime I see a young kid out grafting I hire them. There's a young 10 year old kid cutting grass in my neighborhood and I always give him extra.

If you want to look like a legit business just create a Facebook business page. Add some photos of yourself and your work. Make a free logo on canva and fb cover photo.

If anyone asks who you are just show them your page.

Start collecting reviews from customers.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Mission Report

I left my house and this time approached single family homes. I only knocked on 5-6 houses and 4 answered.
I tried to do some variations of Johnny's tips and it went alright. One owner wanted me to leave my number in the mail box just in case. I don't think he'll call back though.

I knocked and an old man came out. He said that he wasn't interested so I said: "Do you want to at least know the price?"
And he was "Sure". I ran around the home and counted up the windows. When I ran back to him, there was a middle-aged woman.
"We don't need to get our windows cleaned", she said while having one of the most serious and defensive faces I've seen in a while.
I backed off and felt like garbage. She 100% thought I was scamming some seniors or something.

/super cringe rant:
Maybe I'm just a pussy, but I feel like everybody thinks of you the way you're not and it's just so demotivating.
I haven't had a really nice hug in a long time, have diagnosed depression and am trying my F*cking best yet they call me "lazy", "heartless" and so on. Today, I laid on my bathroom heater because I was freezing inside my shitty room and was preparing to leave for the window cleaning asking and that person couldn't even tolerate me inside there "just because".

It's so F*cking cold (it was and still is literally snowing) and I feel like this is the worst time to clean windows.
/end

I think I'll just go play a few video games with friends and go to bed early today.
Psychiatrists have a phrase: If you spot it, you got it.

Other people's reality isn't yours.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Psychiatrists have a phrase: If you spot it, you got it.

Other people's reality isn't yours.
Could you please elaborate?
I researched about that phrase but I can't find what you exactly mean with it?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Could you please elaborate?
I researched about that phrase but I can't find what you exactly mean with it?
My bad. I wasn't clear.

When someone "spots" something amiss in your motives then it's often because they're projecting their own thoughts onto you.

A couple of years ago someone apparently took offense to me saying "Good for you" when I replied to something they'd done. I meant it as "Well done" whereas they took it as me being sarcastic. I was upset about the miscommunication for a while then realised the problem was with how *they* saw things. They maybe say "Good for you" when they're being sarcastic so assumed I was doing the same.

That old lady is suspicious because of the way she thinks. So long as your heart was in the right place then the issue is with how she thinks.

Hence me saying her perception isn't your reality. You went out to help them, she thought you were up to something, but that doesn't change your motives.

Maybe allow yourself to feel sorry for her that she sees the world that way, and try not to let it get to you.

And bear in mind some people have been burned in the past so have their guard up. It's not personal.

Desolation Row

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2022
Austria
I respect the hussle.

Anytime I see a young kid out grafting I hire them. There's a young 10 year old kid cutting grass in my neighborhood and I always give him extra.

If you want to look like a legit business just create a Facebook business page. Add some photos of yourself and your work. Make a free logo on canva and fb cover photo.

If anyone asks who you are just show them your page.

Start collecting reviews from customers.
I like the idea of the Facebook Business Page. In addition, you could try to give them some kind of Info Sheet when they ask about your number or Website -> Just use the Facebook address. Put a logo and Business name on top so it looks a bit more legit. (I wouldn't get business cards at least not at the moment. )

You could also go to a copy shop and have them print your logo as a sticker for your bucket. But don't overcomplicate this. Just that your potential customers have a visual clue and don't think you're a scammer or want to rob them.

Being from Austria myself I know that people in our countries are more often than not very suspicious. I think this is your main problem at the moment. Ask them if you can clean One or Two windows for free (in exchange for feedback and testimonials you can add to your info sheet).

I hope this helps a bit. Keep working and don't let your family and environment bring you down !

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Congratulations for being persistent! That's a very good sign.

It seems like getting new customers is the hardest part of this endeavor, so try to get people to subscribe to your services, so you clean the windows every few weeks (instead of doing it just once). By doing this your customer base will grow month by month and you will spend less time trying to sell and more time actually doing the job and earing money.

Advertising your services through the web for your local area might also be a good idea.

Please be very careful when cleaning windows at the higher floors.

;)

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Mission Report

/super cringe rant:

/end

first of all : Respect, you did it!
Imo in Germany its quite hard to start that business. I have an idea about that. As I dont want to spread it, if you are interested, send me a PM and lets have a conversation!

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
/super cringe rant:

/end

Haha, you're going to grow thicker skin over the years. And when it comes to YOUR business, what your family thinks or says doesn't mean shit.

The reality is, people are intimidated by what you're doing. Fortunately, you're at the perfect age to disregard their "advice" and do what you gotta do anyway.

Also, don't argue with them. I did that when I was your age and it would often lead to 5-6 adults collectively exercising their feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem on me. Huge waste of brain cells.

"I'm just looking out for you" or "I'm saying this for your own good" was something I heard a lot. Don't fall for it.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Rejection stings. You'll eventually figure out that 99% of the motivation behind people's decisions is social status, so it makes sense that people don't like anything where they are rejected.

The solution here is immersion therapy where you just keep getting rejected until the sting is minor. It never fully goes away, but it becomes so small that you just ignore it.

Six doors at a time isn't enough. Go for 20 and try to get up to 100+.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.