The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm fed up with freelancing

Marketing, social media, advertising

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
I do copywriting and web design freelancing. To be honest I'm getting fed up, bored, and annoyed with making money this way. Sure the benefit is I don't have a boss, just deadlines, and I can work anywhere with my laptop. But I can't help but feel like it's not very different from a regular job. My time is still being traded for money. I pay myself first but in a way I'm still making other people money with my copywriting. Unfortanately this is my main source of income to keep me afloat. Is there any real business I can use my skills for that will give me income quickly apart from freelancing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You're a hired gun. It has it's perks compared to being in someone else's cubicle.

Get good at bringing in more business, and you could subcontract/hire others to do the coal-face work.

Build your own sites/funnels that generate leads for businesses, then charge per lead or renting your funnel.

Lots of ways to go from here.

1) Listen to:

2) Read "Built to Sell".

3) Watch the video I dropped into thread:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I do copywriting and web design

Why do you get hired to do web design and copywriting?

(I already know the answer... I'm asking to get you to think it through yourself.)

Hint (don't read till you've thought about it)

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Dejavu

I was shooting the shit with a copywriter I think 2 weeks ago,
He originally did a $500 letter which led to a VSL job and the owner of the product laughed his way to the bank with over 100k.

He's about to write another piece for the guy.

Sounded defeated as hell too.

I have had people bitch at me when I deferred against whoring themselves out on
freelance sites but what do i know lol...leave em to their own devices.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
maybe you can make your own products and seminars about copywriting.

with a launch for example ( jeff walker's product launch formula)

instead of searching for gold ( finding clients), you sell showels ( you teach people to do copywriting for their clients ).

a lot of entrepreneurs do this way

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I thought Freelancing is the transition phase to a Fastlane business.

So that you are not broke and you have no major money issues.

Then you go validate an idea with CENTS or CENTS super powers.

That will be awesome :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Copywriting is invaluable. Look at the top guys, they get paid thousands to do work that takes an hour. I don't mind trading time for money at the rate. Also, with copywriting you can sell your own products. The top guys are absolutely millionaires.

Web design is different, even the best can't charge the absurd rates copywriters do.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
maybe you can make your own products and seminars about copywriting.

with a launch for example ( jeff walker's product launch formula)

instead of searching for gold ( finding clients), you sell showels ( you teach people to do copywriting for their clients ).

a lot of entrepreneurs do this way
This is something I've wanted to do. I'll have to check out Jeff Walkers program.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Scale + Hire bro.

Here's the thing.

If you follow @Andy Black's advice, and get GOOD at bringing in new business...

...there will come a time when you are TURNING DOWN business in order to keep time for yourself.

That's when you start to hire.

Build out a process by which you get other people to build pieces of the deliverables for you. Then, perfect this process. Make it seamless.

I've been doing that. What used to take me 2-3 weeks now only takes 4-7 days. Full on websites, with copy, all built.

You can copy my process if you like, I really don't care. My process ain't a trade secret. (Thank @Omni for it lol)

So this is what I do:

When I get on the phone with clients, I use that time to figure out everything they're going to need.

I then use the information given to write specification sheets. These are basically instruction manuals for contractors. They tell exactly how you want something done, how you want things to flow, and what you want them to do at the end.

I look for contractors who have several hours a week open in order to work, preferably for me. I use Upwork to find them. I then give them a small test (simple task, like 1-2 hours work) and see how long it takes them to do it. If it's greater than 24 hours, I tell em to F*ck off.

I now know (1) the availability of my contractors, and (2) the ability of my contractors. I then negotiate hourly rates and have them gimme a quote for the content of the spec sheet. (I expect, nay, DEMAND, that a contractor spend at least 5 hours per day on my stuff. If it takes him 15 hours, I expect 3 days. I can tell when they don't, and when they don't, I don't hire em again.)

I have all pieces of the job hired out same day, except development since design has to come first. But as soon as the design is made, my developer gets the go signal.

45 man-hours of work, all done in 3 days. I polish the shit myself, maybe spend an hour doing it to make sure it's to the client's specifications. Fast, professionally done, and F*cking QUICK.

I can then turn around and do the next job.

In case you're wondering, my margins are currently 60%.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Scale + Hire bro.

Here's the thing.

If you follow @Andy Black's advice, and get GOOD at bringing in new business...

...there will come a time when you are TURNING DOWN business in order to keep time for yourself.

That's when you start to hire.

Build out a process by which you get other people to build pieces of the deliverables for you. Then, perfect this process. Make it seamless.

I've been doing that. What used to take me 2-3 weeks now only takes 4-7 days. Full on websites, with copy, all built.

You can copy my process if you like, I really don't care. My process ain't a trade secret. (Thank @Omni for it lol)

So this is what I do:

When I get on the phone with clients, I use that time to figure out everything they're going to need.

I then use the information given to write specification sheets. These are basically instruction manuals for contractors. They tell exactly how you want something done, how you want things to flow, and what you want them to do at the end.

I look for contractors who have several hours a week open in order to work, preferably for me. I use Upwork to find them. I then give them a small test (simple task, like 1-2 hours work) and see how long it takes them to do it. If it's greater than 24 hours, I tell em to F*ck off.

I now know (1) the availability of my contractors, and (2) the ability of my contractors. I then negotiate hourly rates and have them gimme a quote for the content of the spec sheet. (I expect, nay, DEMAND, that a contractor spend at least 5 hours per day on my stuff. If it takes him 15 hours, I expect 3 days. I can tell when they don't, and when they don't, I don't hire em again.)

I have all pieces of the job hired out same day, except development since design has to come first. But as soon as the design is made, my developer gets the go signal.

45 man-hours of work, all done in 3 days. I polish the shit myself, maybe spend an hour doing it to make sure it's to the client's specifications. Fast, professionally done, and F*cking QUICK.

I can then turn around and do the next job.

In case you're wondering, my margins are currently 60%.
This is something I'd like to do with the web design side of freelancing. With copywriting however, this is a little bit harder, nearly impossible. People get copywriters for that persons background and expertise. When you subcontract a copywriter, that persons lack of skills and experience can be read through their writing.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
With copywriting however, this is a little bit harder, nearly impossible. People get copywriters for that persons background and expertise. When you subcontract a copywriter, that persons lack of skills and experience can be read through their writing.

I have found that editing copy is much easier than writing it.

So I get some middle-of-the-road copywriter who has some experience, but isn't a rockstar... then I make it a little bit more appealing.

Copywriting is, in general, a science that can be learned.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.