The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You Were 18 Again...

Anything related to matters of the mind

yashus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 28, 2013
Hey guys,

I've spent awhile on this forum soaking in alot of the techniques used to amass wealth fast.
I'm 18 and have started one company before (SEO agency) and am in the works of another software company right now.

But I feel like something is lacking in my business life and that is the TRUE motivation to get up in the morning and do work that'll move my life forward.

I just started university and my mental energy seems like its draining more and more day per day... I've been hustling for the last 2 years.

I know inside I DO want to be an entrepreneur for the rest of my life, but why must my subconscious lead me towards these certain attributes (laziness, groggyness and no patience) that don't associate with a successful entrepreneur (who I really want to be).

If anyone could lend a a few pointers or direction of where I should head that would be great....

Thanks in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

nayR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Feb 16, 2012
California
I'm 19 and on the same boat with attending a university. I know it really sucks with classes/studying/homework but organize your week out. That is something I have to work on. I didn't do shit for MONTHS except school and realized I've been wasting so much time. It is ridiculous. I would hang out with friends for hrs a day and recently started questioning everything I do. Like instead of hanging out, I could be working on creating a business.

What would being lazy get you? NOTHING. Do you want to succeed early to retire early? Do you want to be able to provide for your family and not worry about simple $$$? Do you want to travel around the world without worrying about money? What else are you gonna be doing with your time? Watch tv shows? Lay on bed all day? None of that will improve your life. Watch some motivational videos on youtube. The videos really work for me. I hit the gym almost everyday and made it a habit so I LOVE going there because i KNOW I IMPROVE everyday, even if it is a little bit. Small improvements are better than none. That can go with business also, not just fitness. Currently I am trying to build a habit to work on my future business daily. If you feel you are drained, maybe take a rest day and just relax so you do not get burnt out. Read a book on your rest days, so you are still doing something productive. Then get right back on it the day after.

I know I don't have a successful business yet, just giving you my thoughts.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
that don't associate with a successful entrepreneur (who I really want to be).

Who DO you want to be? OTHER than an entrepreneur?
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH? Other than being an entrepreneur?
What lights you up?
What breaks your heart?
How DO you want to spend your time?

Being an entrepreneur can give you the time, freedom and dollars to address those items above.
And your answers to those questions can provide you with motivation and drive.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Hmm, when I was trying to start my first biz (long before I ever got serious like ten years later) I found motivation to be my biggest hurdle. To be honest I couldn't even sit still and work on my business, I didn't even know that I didn't know what to do, I expected people to just GIVE me success in business because that was just what I thought it was like.

My point is, motivation was my excuse, my way of saying "yeah I don't care, I'll risk rolling the dice on what the rest of life shows me". I said stuff like "even if I were motivated, who ther hell wants to do that, 9 to 5, I can do it in three seconds".

If I was back there again, I'd shake myself really hard, look him right in the eye and say "no, look, this is really important". I'd be VERY PATIENT with myself, because at that age, you are bound to just SNAP when you are confronted with REALLY choosing to be as responsible and commited as it takes to really get into biz.

But, if you can actually get into business on the right foot, it will get you a lot of respect. And you will change your life forever.
Good luck.

fuller

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles
You have to surround yourself with people who will motivate you to hustle all the time. It's difficult to find people like that in college since most are satisfied with just existing and getting by. It's very easy to get sucked in by that and put off your goals until later. I cringe at the amount of time I spent watching Sportscenter 3 or 4 times in a row in college.

You have to stay focused on your goal and know what you're working for. Realize that until you gain financial freedom, this will probably be the greatest amount of free time you have. So use it to build something great!

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
why must my subconscious lead me towards these certain attributes (laziness, groggyness and no patience) that don't associate with a successful entrepreneur (who I really want to be).

Probably because one part of your brain is having difficulty comprehending with the other (one has the belief of a slowlane while the other one has the fastlane) which sometimes leads to stagnation (its a human defense mechanism to be in the safe zone).

So the question - fight or flight?

This is also what I'm feeling right now but thanks to this Forum, surrounding myself with people who I also want to be, motivates me to fight.

There's is so much SLOWLANE belief embedded in my mind right now that shifting to the FASTLANE makes me scared, unsure and insecure but aren't all the successful entrepreneur went through the same feeling (some or maybe all face these feelings everyday)?

openminded790

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 30, 2013
Just always be doing SOMETHING. The moment you just stop trying things is where you'll start to get more and more demotivated. it doesn't matter if you realize your plan was a failure, you can take your learning and apply to the next adventure!

Spartan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 3, 2014
yashus,

I'm 18 years old and at college right now too. I have a few things that motivate me past the moments of entrepreneurial procrastination.

The first is one is the people around me. I see other students and think, for the most part, how most of them are wasting there lives, free time, and mental capacity on things that are unbecoming of a person. I look at these people and think that I want my life to end up in a completely opposite direction than theirs. I say to myself, "In 5 years, these kids will look back and wish they used their time better".

Another thing I think about is how much more freedom I will have once I've reached the point of success. I will be able to pursue the things I really want to in life; no more worries about money will be holding me back. We always need to be motivated by the quickly approaching future. Like Dave Ramsey always says, "If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else".

Another strategy I use when I'm down is to imagine myself in my ideal life. This may sound kind of crazy, but it works for me. I think about how much more satisfied I am with myself - This is not only because of the money but also because I accomplished something that helped others, and therefore, helped myself as well.

Hope this helped Yashus. Good luck.

yashus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 28, 2013
Wow, you guys are awesome! Can you express how loved I feel right now.

All of these tips and advice are amazing. It seems like the just of what everyone saying is to not get burned out and to make small incremental improvements day by day and just keep taking action.

I feel like 80% of entrepreneurship is just mindset. Maybe even more.

You guys have any morning rituals to start off your body and mind on the right foot? Would love to hear them...

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Just keep a few quotes that relates very well to you or gives you that spark as soon as you see it as your iPhone wallpaper , Desktop computer silly things but constantly a reminder as to the drive and passion needed to succeed.

Agree with other forum members but, Its the company you keep.
I made a fair amount of money when i was 19 and always expected it to keep on rolling in never expecting a financial crisis but I was interested in still going out to clubs at the weekend , out with my ex-girlfriend to fancy restaurants 3-4 times a week but most of all my Uncle who liked to drink a lot so a few days socializing with him. ; Today I still speak to a few friends , fell out with my uncle because he was a jerk and my ex well whats done is done. People come and go but now i'm back pedaling to get success once again.

Sorry for the short story but just giving you reason as to why the company you keep is important.

Just keep your eyes on the prize constant you will question it at times but trust me work harder and never expect anything until you reach your goal!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.