The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Would YOU Do If You Were 18 Again?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
If you had the opportunity to go back in time and be 18 again, would you have done anything differently? What knowledge do you wish you had then, that you have now? This question involves anything from relationships, to education and of course, business decisions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

There was a thread not too long ago, 'What would you tell your 25 year old self' or something like that.

It was really long, and really detailed. Hopefully someone can find it, because I can't.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Oh, I didn't see that. I tried searching up my topic but nothing came up.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Looks like you're looking for been-there-done-that kind of advice. I went looking for that stuff at one point. One article I loved was this one:
http://ryanholiday.net/advice-to-a-...ere-or-get-something-from-someone-successful/

The author, Ryan Holiday, turned me on to The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. Great book full of life advice and how to be better man (written by someone who used to own the known world). I started Ryan's book, the Media Manipulator, but it was pretty meh.

I read this article too when I was looking for this kind of stuff:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/2013/07/23/20-things-20-year-olds-dont-get/

But most of that stuff is covered to a greater capacity in TMF and Michael Masterson's books.

Basically, if I were to answer your original question: I'd tell myself to read more books. Specifically Meditations, TMF , Masterson, and Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover (which I'll catch flak for mentioning).

GL!

Last edited:

ZeroExile

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 10, 2014
Florida
Well since I'm 18 now I don't think I qualify for this hypothetical. I guess I will go with my 14 year old self.

Sadly my sidewalker mindset made me waste all of my money on cool gadgets and games. I recently just sold my Fitbit Surge that I really didn't need but it looked so cool! I'm using a $2k computer right now that I barely use and certainly didn't need. I play high FPS games though when I have time. I would tell myself to not get involved in scams/easy-money.

I know if I read this book earlier I would have changed earlier on and focused on more reliable systems of income. Making the transition was horrible and I'm always tempted to revert. I still have a lot to learn and more so due to my lifestyle choices during my adolescence.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I suppose you mean business wise, but I personally loved my college years. I went to my classes about 20% of the time. I spent the rest of my time playing video games, hitting the gym, and hanging out with my friends. I suppose I could have done it differently, but I had a blast.

I might tell myself to skip the squats on the day I hurt my back :-D

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I'd sit very still, and think.

Ironically, thats exactly what I did when I was 18.
Wow, what a depressing thought...

I'd buy a plane ticket and go in search of my now GF. Save her from all those years without my awesome self around.
Thats about all I could do better I think.

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
Looking back now, I would certainly have a system in place, would try to automate things and would certainly hire people or outsource.

Because system and automation in work is what allowing us to do more than what we could have before. Getting more people gives us more capacity, this one is just no brainer.

I was working almost 16-17 hours a day, as I didn't have any system, no one to help out and didn't outsource anything. I was doing everything by myself. As a result I couldn't scale things up any more.

Now, I have learned my lesson, we have offices in 3 continents and over 8000 staff. Looking to expand to even more countries, it won't be difficult as we have a system in place and we are getting more people on board to help out, which is letting us to more.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.