The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea: Real Local News YouTube Channel

Idea threads

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
The other night I put on the local news. They opened with a headline about Scranton, Pennsylvania, Joe Biden's home town. Perfect local story except... I don't live in F*cking Pennsylvania. I bet I'm not the only one who gets sick of biased national media stories when I just want to know if my town is on fire. Was thinking if someone wanted to put in the footwork, you could create a YouTube channel laser-targeted at your local area.

Talk about the weather, crime, sports whatever...just be local. Tell me when and where the food trucks will be. Tell me when festivals and 5ks are coming up. Tell me about businesses that opened their doors, or those that closed them and why. Tell me about school closings, and the latest local COVID numbers. Tell me about ANYTHING that has to do with something relevant to my life because it exists at the local level, and I will be all in with your channel.

If your town is too small, cover a wider area like a county, but don't go too wide so you don't lose focus. If you're at the state or multi-state level, you're getting pretty wide.

Since most YouTubers aim for a broad audience, it's easy to get found for local topics. They're search-friendly and share-friendly. You could even combine this with a media-style blog if you wanted a little more reach. As it grows you can take advantage of the typical adsense route. You can also sell ad placements in your videos, or even do sponsored promotions, similar to what traditional local news has done. Your videos can be live or pre-recorded. Doesn't really matter as long as you put out new content a few times a week (prefer daily) so I can keep up with local happenings.

A side benefit is that you'd get out and meet people. Get to know your area. Make connections. Network with business owners, churches, and others in your community so you can stay on top of the latest and most relevant stories. Maybe someday, you'll become the dominant news outlet for your town, siphoning viewers from the LocalWithANationalAgenda media companies. You might even become big enough that they buy you out. I hope you stay just under that so the news stays local, but if not, at least you might go Fastlane. ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
This is a great idea.

I know there's a woman in my hometown that started a business news blog focused on the city: Home Page

Within the first few weeks of starting it (although she had deep connections in the city) she had business sponsorships/advertisers. AFAIK, they pay a monthly fee & get sponsored posts on the website. Some of them are mom & pop type businesses, others are the dang hospitals, local ISPs, banks, etc.

Besides daily readers coming back directly & her mailing list, her organic reach is great for the size of the city: Domain Overview | SEMrush

Local names "in lights" that are easily shared among friends & colleagues as well as getting shared on business social accounts. Recipe for immediate growth.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.