The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to sleep less!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
I am starting with web development and design. I am also in education and have a traineeship that is from 9 till 5. It's definetely not what I love to do, but I need to do it. After that, I have to work out, 3 times a week. Health is important to me.

So, in the end, I have maybe a couple of hours left to work on what I really want to do. I rather stay up late, sleep a bit less and get things done but the challenge is that I am somebody that needs long hours of sleep. It might be a limiting believe and just something I am used too.

I want to figure out what the minimal amount of sleep that I need is. Do some of you have ideas how to accomplish this?

I am thinking about getting up around 5/6 in the morning, and going to bed around 12 at night. I need more hours to accomplish my goals. Atleast, that is how I think at this moment, I am open for other suggestions.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazvanRogoz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Sep 18, 2011
Romania
Sleeping less does not mean you'll get more done.

The key to getting more done is constant renewal of your four type of energy: physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.

If you still want to sleep less, there are some best times when you can wake up. If you have a Blackberry, there is an application (paid) called Sleep Cycles.

According to this application, the best times to wake up if you go to sleep at exactly 00:00 are:
-> 01:40
-> 03:20
-> 05: 40 - 06:00
-> 08:00

Add plus or minus ten minutes to every one of them.

Razvan

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Hmm renewel of energy. Well, that will be a tough one since I hate my job/internship, but I have to do it. Which means I am pretty reloading every night from a 9 till 5 thing, and in the weekend from a whole week...

Its so clear to me it's never the road I am going to take after i finished college.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Sleep cycles are 90 minutes for the average sleeper. There are tons of different methods to have your body recharge in shorter bursts. Just shortening your sleep while on a monophasic sleep cycle is just going to make the issue worse.

JoMaC

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 28, 2011
You might be interested in reading this

Alternate Sleep Cycles | High Existence

When changing over to a polyphasic cycle, the lack of sleep tricks the body into entering REM sleep immediately instead of 45 to 75 minutes into sleep like in the monophasic sleep. This way, you still get the benefits of 8 hours of sleep without wasting all of the time it takes to get to REM cycles, resulting in a much more efficient sleep cycle.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I did biphasic sleeping for a week and I became ultra-productive. It got messed up when I skipped one of my sleeping periods to hang out with friends.

I slept for 3 hours, twice a day; once at noon, next at midnight. It's very easy to get into and you can adjust it to whatever fits your fancy (e.g. 5 pm-8 pm, then 5 am-8 am). You can do it sleeping for only 2 hours each for the same effect.

Some other people have done 'Uberman' which is 20 minute naps, 6 times a day.

From experience, the only way to adjust sleep cycle is to adjust eating cycle. If you want to do Uberman, eat directly before your nap, 6 times a day. You will wake more refreshed because you are not hungry. With Uberman, you can't really skip naps/skip meals or you will be tired for days to come.

Other things you can try are napping for an hour twice during the day and sleeping 3 hours at night.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Sleeping less does not mean you'll get more done.

True dat. Is the problem you sleep too much, or is it that you don't get enough of the right tasks done when you are awake? Put your TV in the closet for a week, prioritize what you are doing and then let us know if there still isn't enough time in the day.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I did biphasic sleeping for a week and I became ultra-productive. It got messed up when I skipped one of my sleeping periods to hang out with friends.

This is good to know I think I sleep like this. I usually only sleep around 4-6 for some reason, always something to do late and I wake up early, but I always need a midday nap. Now instead of feeling like a looser I can use this to my advantage. I am going to have to do some more reading.

Thanks

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I've read somewhere you can teach your body to go straight into REM sleep when it takes normal people a few hours. It's just a habit that you have to teach yourself. I tried for a few months but it seemed that my body lacked more mental energy than physical because you have to keep track of the sleeping schedule religiously.

Your eating schedule should also be fixed accordingly no doubt about that.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I am thinking about getting up around 5/6 in the morning, and going to bed around 12 at night.

It's all individual, but for me this is totally feasible. And it's good time to go to bed, and to get out of it.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I sleep at least 8 hours a day. Sometimes 10 hours a day, but that's not too often.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I get enough sleep as a whole, but not in a big lump sum. I take naps during the day. Anytime I feel tired I take a nap, I never fight it. I think that if your body is telling you that its sleepy, you should go to sleep. ;)

I do that all the time and sometimes I wake up in 10 minutes refreshed! You'll be amazed at what a 10 minute nap can do for you.

I think I get about 5-6 hours a night and 1-2 hours during the day. I do notice that if I'm out all day I tend to get tired around 5pm and want to take a nap. I think my body is now use to nap time. Funny thing is that I can nap from 8pm-10pm, wake up, do work and still go to bed around 2am (my normal time) no problem.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Maybe I need to make sacrifices and just DO a lot of things less, and focus on 1,2 or 3 things

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.