The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need help on coding things

Idea threads

Cyprien

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 5, 2023
Hi there !
Like it's said into the title, I need some help over coding a website, more precisely to host my website.

Indeed I don't know how to post it on our beautiful Internet, I heard about Firebase, the solution given by Google, but I don't know if it's the best way for a little website as mine (blog about entreneurship, with interview and podcast).
So if you have some tips on which solution use, i'll take it for sure ! More over if you got nice tutorial on it, or on Firebase also, i'll take it too !

Thank you for reading to the end this short post, have a nice day !

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
I am currently building out my website, teaching myself html and all that. I haven't got to the hosting part just yet. I was thinking of using Azure cloud because the internet where I live is crap and so I can't build and host my own servers. Depending on the architecture of your app, you may want to look into cloud services. Azure makes it really easy to manage.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hi there !
Like it's said into the title, I need some help over coding a website, more precisely to host my website.

Indeed I don't know how to post it on our beautiful Internet, I heard about Firebase, the solution given by Google, but I don't know if it's the best way for a little website as mine (blog about entreneurship, with interview and podcast).
So if you have some tips on which solution use, i'll take it for sure ! More over if you got nice tutorial on it, or on Firebase also, i'll take it too !

If you're a beginner I'd recommend one that covers Domain/SSL/Hosting.

Here's a good article that compares all Website Hosting Platforms:
https://neilpatel.com/blog/best-wordpress-web-hosting/

This is the one I use: Web Hosting Services Crafted with Care - SiteGround
It's reviewed in the article above. Customer support is awesome... but it can get expensive from year 2.

If you need help I use this web dev in Bangladesh whos reliable and not too expensive:
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0154814b62379dfa42

The real expert here is @Fox

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Hi there !

Simple blog with articles, interviews and podcast? Firebase would be an overkill here.

You just need WordPress.org. Then use a shared hosting for $15 per month. If you need a fancy WordPress hosting package, then there are starter WordPress hosting packages from $30 per month. If you are a beginner WordPress user then choose a dedicated WordPress hosting company because they will help you a lot which is included in the price (for example speed, security, plugin conflicts, backup, restore etc.).

Then maybe buy a premium WordPress theme/plugin for max. $100 per year. That's it.

Cyprien

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 5, 2023
I will take a look, honestly i don't even know azure before.
Thank you for the reply
I am currently building out my website, teaching myself html and all that. I haven't got to the hosting part just yet. I was thinking of using Azure cloud because the internet where I live is crap and so I can't build and host my own servers. Depending on the architecture of your app, you may want to look into cloud services. Azure makes it really easy to manage.

Cyprien

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 5, 2023

You don't need Azure for a blog. It is for complex services such as Saas apps. Azure would be overkill for you.
Okay, that saves me some research time then, really thanks for the help it's great.
I'll be focusing on Wordpress then!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
For what it's worth, get yourself a chat gpt / claude ai / google bard account. They're great for questions like these. They can't teach you how to make a million dollar business, but for "how do I get started with X" type of questions, they're awesome.

As others have said, use wordpress. It's very simple and doesn't require any code. Buy a domain and then pay a hosting company (I use dream host) to host the website. It's probably worthwhile to pay for a good theme, but you don't have to code.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
you could go ask AI to tell you the easiest way to get a website up for your blog articles and podcast and it will say "wordpress then get a theme and that's all" and that is the best answer. This should take you a day or two max.

99% of the effort should go into making the content good and posting regularly, just like how'd you'd expect to get results in the gym....just showing up enough times in a row is the main focus.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
You don't need Azure for a blog. It is for complex services such as Saas apps. Azure would be overkill for you.
Does wordpress provide security and manage the data of your application?

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Does wordpress provide security and manage the data of your application?
Security: choose a secure web hosting provider and follow security best practicies like updating WordPress core, plugins, themes, using trusted plugins and themes, make sure your local computer is secure, use strong passwords, use two-factor authentication, make daily backups etc. You could also install a security plugin or choose a managed WordPress hosting which offers hardened security service.

data of your application: yes you need a database (most commonly MySQL), every dynamic shared hosting comes with database hosting.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
For what it's worth, get yourself a chat gpt / claude ai / google bard account. They're great for questions like these. They can't teach you how to make a million dollar business, but for "how do I get started with X" type of questions, they're awesome.

As others have said, use wordpress. It's very simple and doesn't require any code. Buy a domain and then pay a hosting company (I use dream host) to host the website. It's probably worthwhile to pay for a good theme, but you don't have to code.
This is good advice, chatgpt makes learning a lot easier.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
Security: choose a secure web hosting provider and follow security best practicies like updating WordPress core, plugins, themes, using trusted plugins and themes, make sure your local computer is secure, use strong passwords, use two-factor authentication, make daily backups etc. You could also install a security plugin or choose a managed WordPress hosting which offers hardened security service.

data of your application: yes you need a database (most commonly MySQL), every dynamic shared hosting comes with database hosting.
Thanks for this, I am following in the steps of the author and teaching everything to myself to have as much control as possible. I have been learning HTML and CSS and building out my site. I am as green as they come, but all my spare time goes to learning and building the site. I would even build out my own servers but my internet connection where I live is absolute dog sh*t. So I need to find a good hosting service. I want to set up a three tier architecture (web,app,db). But I will cross that bridge once I get there. What are you working on?

data of your application: yes you need a database (most commonly MySQL), every dynamic shared hosting comes with database hosting

JohnE10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 26, 2023
Toronto, ON Canada
I need some help over coding a website, more precisely to host my website.
Are you learning to code a website as well?

If you are, then you should be able to do without WordPress and all the upkeep it requires. You might even be able to host the site free of charge.

Last edited:

Cyprien

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 5, 2023
Are you learning to code a website as well?

If you are, then you should be able to do without WordPress and all the upkeep it requires. You might even be able to host the site free of charge.
Yes I was learning to code,
but now, I don't know if I should continue learning to code or to use Wordpress.
Wordpress can saves me precious time, on the other hand learning to code website can be more useful and bring me more liberty but it's more time wasted i guess ?
It should be noted that I am still a beginner at coding (only Html, Css and JavaScript, should I learn Sql or other database language for a blog?), and totally foreign to Wordpress for the moment.

JohnE10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 26, 2023
Toronto, ON Canada
In my opinion, the question of whether or not you should learn to code depends on whether or not you like coding.

If, while you were learning to code, you found that you enjoyed learning and practicing it, then I'd say learn to code.

Not only will that help you build your own site without having to depend on WordPress, but you'll also be acquiring a skill that can come in handy in the long run. The opportunities that coding skills can open up for you are nothing to sneeze at.

As far as languages, HTML, CSS and JavaScript are plenty enough to build you site. And once you get the hang of JavaScript (or any one programming language) and the thinking behind writing code, picking up another language is a breeze. It won't take you more than a week, at most.

On the other hand, if you didn't find it all that enjoyable, then yes, trying to stick with it is a waste of time because you'll more than likely end up quitting anyway. WP is a better way to go, in that case.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
In my opinion, the question of whether or not you should learn to code depends on whether or not you like coding.

If, while you were learning to code, you found that you enjoyed learning and practicing it, then I'd say learn to code.

Not only will that help you build your own site without having to depend on WordPress, but you'll also be acquiring a skill that can come in handy in the long run. The opportunities that coding skills can open up for you are nothing to sneeze at.

As far as languages, HTML, CSS and JavaScript are plenty enough to build you site. And once you get the hang of JavaScript (or any one programming language) and the thinking behind writing code, picking up another language is a breeze. It won't take you more than a week, at most.

On the other hand, if you didn't find it all that enjoyable, then yes, trying to stick with it is a waste of time because you'll more than likely end up quitting anyway. WP is a better way to go, in that case.
My wife and I are teaching ourselves to code right now, she is a hell of a lot better at it than I am. Ive been planning the sites she needs to code. It definitely is a lot of work, but its gives us practice and gets us in the flow for the greater work ahead. Plus if a company like wordpress cans your site for whatever reason, then say good bye to it all, but if you have the code and know how to code, then you can easily take your shit else where. Like MJ said, we need control, wordpress and sites like it share control of the website.

lesane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 19, 2022

A question related to this topic. The website I'm building despite using WordPress, it still needs coding in order to customize certain things. Would it be recommended for me to learn how to code (from a complete beginner) or is It better to just rely on freelancers (considering that I have a relative right budget)? What really concerns me is the time investment since I'm not sure if that time should be applied to learning other skills.
What do you guys think?

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
A question related to this topic. The website I'm building despite using WordPress, it still needs coding in order to customize certain things. Would it be recommended for me to learn how to code (from a complete beginner) or is It better to just rely on freelancers (considering that I have a relative right budget)? What really concerns me is the time investment since I'm not sure if that time should be applied to learning other skills.
What do you guys think?
Do it yourself if you can, then you will have the skill forever and won't need to rely on freelancers, you will be a more formidable entrepreneur if you can rely less on others. You'll always be at the freelancer mercy otherwise.

lesane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 19, 2022
Do it yourself if you can, then you will have the skill forever and won't need to rely on freelancers, you will be a more formidable entrepreneur if you can rely less on others. You'll always be at the freelancer mercy otherwise.
How did you start learning it? From the outside perspective it can look very overwhelming since there are many different programming languages and it's hard to know where to start from.

JohnE10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 26, 2023
Toronto, ON Canada
What do you guys think?

There's nothing wrong with relying on freelancers or subcontracting work out to others. Virtually every successful entrepreneur will tell you that in order to scale any business, you need others to do work for you. There's just not enough time in a day for any successful entrepreneur to do everything themselves, nor do they want to.

Successful entrepreneurs structure their businesses in a way that, with the right personnel, the business can run without them, the entrepreneur, needing to do anything or even be around.

This is how successful people create wealth for themselves as well as the time to enjoy it.

So, if you don't have the time or inclination to do any coding yourself, then it's perfectly OK to hire someone to do it for you.

Cyprien

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 5, 2023

I feel in control when coding by my self and this, it's gold, when using wp or alternative solution I feel like it's cheating.
However i'm not 100% enjoying to code, but the lack of control using Wp made me re enjoy coding, thanks for your reply, you help me to re start coding by my own.
(Ps: _If someone know a specialized community of coders I truly want be in !
_ And I'm not a native english speaker, i'm french, so i guess my syntax isn't clear at all, sorry for that :( )

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
How did you start learning it? From the outside perspective it can look very overwhelming since there are many different programming languages and it's hard to know where to start from.
I have been using freecodecamp.com , starts you off from nothing. For website building you should learn HTML, CSS, and Java. That website takes you through each. And if it seems daunting, just think back to MJs advice about process. Embrace the process, short cuts dont exist. You got this! Good luck.

JohnE10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 26, 2023
Toronto, ON Canada

Absolutely. It is hard to know which direction to take when you're first looking at it.

If you want to give it a shot do this:

Pick a programming language: Go with JavaScript for web development, it gives you the tools to do both front-end and back-end coding.

In reality, it doesn't really matter which language you choose to learn first because once you've learned your first language, you will have learned how to code, and once you've learned how to code, you can pick up any another language after a few days of practice, a week max.

The key is learning the thinking behind coding, that same thinking is used in any of the other languages, the only difference is that each language has its own syntax, which is why you need a few days to learn it.

So, don't sweat which language to learn first.

Next, pick a project: Whatever you do, start with a project. Don't just spend hours watching online tutorials. You won't retain much from just watching, you need to practice as you go, and the way you do that is by actually building/creating something.

As you're working to build your site/project, look up programming tutorials on YouTube for each step in the building process. Keep doing that until you complete the whole thing.

P.S. A good YouTube channel for free programming courses is "Net Ninja". the guy who owns it is, in my opinion, the best programming tutor on the platform. He does have a JavaScript course called "Modern JavaScript", it's worth a look.

lesane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 19, 2022
I have been using freecodecamp.com , starts you off from nothing. For website building you should learn HTML, CSS, and Java. That website takes you through each. And if it seems daunting, just think back to MJs advice about process. Embrace the process, short cuts dont exist. You got this! Good luck.
Yes, MJ is right about process, It is the key in everything that matters.
Thank you a lot for the link and the support!

lesane

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Nov 19, 2022
Absolutely. It is hard to know which direction to take when you're first looking at it.

If you want to give it a shot do this:

Pick a programming language: Go with JavaScript for web development, it gives you the tools to do both front-end and back-end coding.

In reality, it doesn't really matter which language you choose to learn first because once you've learned your first language, you will have learned how to code, and once you've learned how to code, you can pick up any another language after a few days of practice, a week max.

The key is learning the thinking behind coding, that same thinking is used in any of the other languages, the only difference is that each language has its own syntax, which is why you need a few days to learn it.

So, don't sweat which language to learn first.

Next, pick a project: Whatever you do, start with a project. Don't just spend hours watching online tutorials. You won't retain much from just watching, you need to practice as you go, and the way you do that is by actually building/creating something.

As you're working to build your site/project, look up programming tutorials on YouTube for each step in the building process. Keep doing that until you complete the whole thing.

P.S. A good YouTube channel for free programming courses is "Net Ninja". the guy who owns it is, in my opinion, the best programming tutor on the platform. He does have a JavaScript course called "Modern JavaScript", it's worth a look.
Thank you for all the insight you've given. When It comes to creating the page I look up to tutorials and MJ said in one of his YouTube videos that he built his website problem by problem. The issue arises sometimes when you either don't seem to find an answer to the problem you are trying to solve or even where you're doing something but you don't understand why that is or why it is that way.

Thank you again for recommending a good YouTube channel to learn how to program as well as to learn what programming language to learn first!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.