The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Lost A Friend & Mentor Today. I Have To Say Something About It.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I just found out.

I was missing him so I sent him a text.

I don't often use the term mentor and I don't look up to many people.

He did it to himself.

He had done things in business I aspire to. We'd been discussing partnerships. Amongst other accomplishments, he had built two powerhouse organizations in my industry. But the stress always got to him and he turned to the bottle. He didn't live healthy. It's the kind of thing I just wrote about in my post on leadership.

I wrote that the day he passed.

Sigh.

Entrepreneurs can easily fall into the trap of neglecting themselves (or their loved ones) and just "powering through".

I need something good to come from tragedy. I'm posting this in the health thread because as MJ said, its our most important asset.

So please, if you are struggling with alcoholism or addiction, get help. Here's some inspiration from the forum. Need to lose weight? Consider intermittent fasting. (It worked wonders for me.) And while I'm at it... sell the motorcycle.

Maybe take this chance to call an old friend you haven't talked to in forever.

And don't forget to make time for your loved ones. Hug 'em tight.

Take care of yourselves, Fastlane Fam.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Sorry for your loss.

Entrepreneurship can be a struggle at times. Alcohol, drugs, etc. at times seem like the right escape, but the effects just compound into a downward spiral. It's sad to hear that's what happened to your friend.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Sorry for your loss.

Entrepreneurship can be a struggle at times. Alcohol, drugs, etc. at times seem like the right escape, but the effects just compound into a downward spiral. It's sad to hear that's what happened to your friend.
Sending you love from across the pond @BizyDad. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you both.

ADR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 23, 2016
Miami, FL
I just found out.

He did it to himself.

He had done things in business I aspire to. We'd been discussing partnerships. Amongst other accomplishments, he had built two powerhouse organizations in my industry. But the stress always got to him and he turned to the bottle. He didn't live healthy. It's the kind of thing I just wrote about in my post on leadership.

Sigh.

Entrepreneurs can easily fall into the trap of neglecting themselves (or their loved ones) and just "powering through".

I need something good to come from tragedy. I'm posting this in the health thread because as MJ said, its our most important asset.

So please, if you are struggling with alcoholism or addiction, get help. Here's some inspiration from the forum. Need to lose weight? Consider intermittent fasting. (It worked wonders for me.) And while I'm at it... sell the motorcycle.

Sorry for your loss.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I'm sorry to hear that @BizyDad

Things can change so quickly...

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
So very sorry for your loss. Praying that this thread, caused by your friend's passing, will help at least one person find a better path. Thank you for the courage to share this.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Sorry for your loss sir. Alcohol is a dangerous thing when taken too far. I am dealing with a family member who is inducing early onset dementia due to brain activity loss from alcoholism and he knows and still won't stop. I've watched it for years and am now sober as a result for 10 years...

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm sorry to hear that @BizyDad

Things can change so quickly...

Thank you my friend.

So very sorry for your loss. Praying that this thread, caused by your friend's passing, will help at least one person find a better path. Thank you for the courage to share this.

I pray likewise. Thank you.

Sorry for your loss sir. Alcohol is a dangerous thing when taken too far. I am dealing with a family member who is inducing early onset dementia due to brain activity loss from alcoholism and he knows and still won't stop. I've watched it for years and am now sober as a result for 10 years...

I'm sorry for you as well. That's not easy.

What's sad in this case is he finally started to turn things around 6 months ago. Lost a bunch of weight. Had at least cut back on the drinking. Had moved to another state to be with the woman he loved. He had slowed down. I was really rooting for him. In his case the end came quickly.

Your situation sounds much more difficult.

Kudos on your sobriety. Sometimes we have to take solace in the positives.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ah, that’s sad news. Prayers to his family and friends, and you.

Life is such a fragile gift. We shouldn’t take it for granted.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Sorry for your loss.
Ah, that’s sad news. Prayers to his family and friends, and you.

Life is such a fragile gift. We shouldn’t take it for granted.
Sorry to hear about this. Health is certainly the most important thing we have.

Thanks all. I've had an evening and a morning to process. I'm at peace with this.

Your words help, and even more helpful would be knowing that you are hearing this message.

See I lost someone close to me to an overdose 20 months ago. That was the first time I ever lost someone close to me, and it wrecked me. So much left unsaid, undone, so much promise unfulfilled. I had no idea how to handle it. Maybe if I had said this or that he'd have gone down a different path.

Coming out of that, I made it a goal to always tell people who are important to me or have an impact on me exactly what they mean to me.

So my buddy knew.

And if I had any doubt, all I had to do was scroll up in the texts and I saw the things I had told him just 2 months ago. And 5 months ago.

Nothing was left unsaid. He knew.

And that more than anything is what I hope you, the reader, take away from this. Tell people how much they mean to you. Don't keep it inside. Don't assume they know. Thank them. Uplift them. Tell them.

Don't leave for tomorrow what can be said today. What can be said right now.

Hug your loved ones y'all. Call your mom. Send your friend a text.

And thanks again for the support. You guys and gals are great. :smile:

Greg Behnke

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 22, 2012
Scottsdale Arizona
I just found out.

He did it to himself.

Sigh.

Sorry to hear this man. I’ve struggled with alcohol use disorder for years. I’ve finally turned the corner with the use of naltrexone to block the pleasure out of drinking despite me typing this from a bar while having a few beers. As a result, my alcohol use has plummeted. If anyone is interested in more about the medication, look up the Sinclair method.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Greg you are the first person I reached out to on the forum.

I'm glad to hear it's helping. But take care of yourself bro. I'm looking forward to many more conversations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.