The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

NOTABLE! I just sold my first eCommerce business (FU money!)

LuckyPup

Done Dicking Around
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
So I wanted to wait a few days for it to settle in to make a post about it. This week I sold my ecommerce business that I started back in 2007. It's been 10 years running this business that I started from scratch. I still remember my goal of making one sale a day at $50 profit and being happy if I took home $18,000 a year.

Fast forward 10 years and 3 months later... and it's sold and mostly gone.

I sold it because I started another ecommerce business in 2015 that I am much more passionate about. And passion combined with experience can really blow up a business. It took my first business 10 years to go from 0 to a million dollars a year. It took my second business 2 years to get to a million dollars a year.

I began thinking about selling the business about 2 years ago. I think once the thought gets in your head, you know it's about time. I put the business on the market in March 2017 and went through 3 serious buyers before the 4th actually closed.

What am I going to do with the money?

It's funny because if this happened 5 years ago, I know the first thing I'd be doing is getting a Ferrari. But honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I thought about buying another business to grow my second ecommerce business. Maybe I'll get some real estate. Bitcoin? Just kidding.

The odd thing about closing is that it the money hitting the bank account didn't even matter. I was more relieved that the business was sold and seeing the inventory leave my warehouse there was a sense of closure, but not fully because I still have to provide support for 6 months.

I am more excited that I get to spend 100% of my time on my second business because if I could get it from 0 to a mil in 2 years working on it 50% of the time, I can't wait to see where it could go with me working on it 100% of the time and with a huge cash infusion to expand!
If I could bake, I'd bake you a FU cake! Sincere thanks for sharing and for all you do here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Action Mike

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 9, 2016
Congratulations!!! The FU section of unscripted was one of my favorite I have ever read in a business book.

Thanks for the post and all the advice you give, it helps tremendously to those in the beginning stages.

garyfritz

Silver Contributor
Summit Attendee
Jul 16, 2011
Colorado
Very happy for you Kenric! I hope the next business is even more fulfilling than the first.

I'm kinda amazed that ecom businesses -- especially exclusively Amazon-based businesses -- sell for 2x. Assuming steady performance it takes 2 years to get your investment back. Amazon could screw you 16 ways to Sunday in that time, and completely wreck the structure you built on. I'm surprised that inherent risk doesn't lower the valuation more.

Dana Taylor

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Nov 2, 2018
Malta
I am so excited to read this.

Do you have any tips to get my sales on my shopify store please. I have been testing on Facebook and Instagram, buikt blogs and got some backlinks and no sales yet.

I am in a pretty good niche which is anti-radiation yet no traction.

All help is welcomed

Tanu1234

Contributor
Aug 4, 2018
So I wanted to wait a few days for it to settle in to make a post about it. This week I sold my ecommerce business that I started back in 2007. It's been 10 years running this business that I started from scratch. I still remember my goal of making one sale a day at $50 profit and being happy if I took home $18,000 a year.

Fast forward 10 years and 3 months later... and it's sold and mostly gone.

I sold it because I started another ecommerce business in 2015 that I am much more passionate about. And passion combined with experience can really blow up a business. It took my first business 10 years to go from 0 to a million dollars a year. It took my second business 2 years to get to a million dollars a year.

I began thinking about selling the business about 2 years ago. I think once the thought gets in your head, you know it's about time. I put the business on the market in March 2017 and went through 3 serious buyers before the 4th actually closed.

What am I going to do with the money?

It's funny because if this happened 5 years ago, I know the first thing I'd be doing is getting a Ferrari. But honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. I thought about buying another business to grow my second ecommerce business. Maybe I'll get some real estate. Bitcoin? Just kidding.

The odd thing about closing is that it the money hitting the bank account didn't even matter. I was more relieved that the business was sold and seeing the inventory leave my warehouse there was a sense of closure, but not fully because I still have to provide support for 6 months.

I am more excited that I get to spend 100% of my time on my second business because if I could get it from 0 to a mil in 2 years working on it 50% of the time, I can't wait to see where it could go with me working on it 100% of the time and with a huge cash infusion to expand!
Awesome. I started one ecommerce business but closed due to lack of time.

Is it possible to run ecommerce business part time?

I generally loose focus in multiple business. [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom