• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

GOLD I have a problem with MJ DeMarco (Follow your passion gets a beatdown)

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by kelvinfernandezm, Apr 26, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. lewj24

lewj24 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,491
    Steve Jobs read books daily so how do you know he didn't get the idea from a book and ran with it when it worked? I'm a completely different person than I was 2 years ago because I started reading regularly.

Steve Jobs also started Pixar when he was fired from Apple.

Obviously you're wrong about most or all of what you said here. You don't stumble into a net worth of over $10 Billion. He clearly optimized his choices to make money.

kelvinfernandezm, Argue and ZF Lee like this.
  2. TrevorLC

TrevorLC New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $17
    His point the way I saw it was to get rich quick through the fastlane so that you would be able to pursue your passion without having to worry whether or not it will pay the bills.

For him it was the book, he literally says he doesn't know or care if it'll sell well in the pages because he was already making millions off investments.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

kelvinfernandezm likes this.
  3. Michael Greene

Michael Greene Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $167
    I know this thread is kind of dead but i want to make a point about it.

1. You should keep in mind that MJ wrote the book from the perspective of a person who wanted to achieve a luxury lifestyle but does not see himself as particularly "talented" or "gifted". I don't believe he is saying "i'm not talented, so you're not talented either...go invent something". He may not have believed he was talented enough to reach his lifestyle off of his writing alone ( though his sales suggest otherwise ;) ), that's just his belief it dictated his own actions. Other people might think the opposite and then you get J.K Rowling's. He's speaking from his perspective and giving advice to people who resonate with that message. If you don't think it applies to you, skip over that part. The other 99% of the book applies to anyone aspiring towards success.

2. Regardless of you want to want to do, the principle still comes down to providing value for others. Whether you're MJ, Mark Cuban, Slash, Drake, Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Martha Stewart, whoever. Whether you're doing a work of passion or not. It comes down to providing value for others. LeBron is insanely passionate about basketball, but nobody cares that he is passionate about basketball. LeBron is rich because he is entertaining to watch. His passion may have driven him to get his skills to the point where he is now, but the value for others is in the entertainment not the passion. That goes for all entertainers. All roads lead to providing value for others. So if you want to be rich as a guitarist that's something to think about.

3. You may not even want to pursue fast lane. Fastlane is about building a system that can operate on it's own with minimal effort on your behalf so you can live the lifestyle you want to live. But if you want to live the lifestyle of a musician, because you're an artist and you would be using your free time to make music anyway, then maybe that's not what you want. Maybe you want your income connected to your time if you're spending the time doing what you want to do. If that's the case you shouldn't be worrying about Fastlane, you should be focused on expanding your brand, increasing your popularity so you can increase the amount of opportunities available to you in the field you actually want to go into. I have friends making 20k for an hour show on top of paid travel and lodging, and they're happy. It's about what you want to do.

4. Keep in mind that the music industry in 2017 is not what it was in 1997. If it was possible to go Fast Lane in music at any point it would be now. You can do what a record label does for yourself. By that i mean, You can distribute and register your works and collect all the money, rather than receive royalties. I know of an artist that makes 90k a month from his music because he's independent so he owns all the rights to his songs (it helps that he does everything his self too). Then it becomes a game of getting your name out there (to LISTENERS), which you would have to do anyway if you had a business (to customers).

Just food for thought.

4. Imgal

Imgal Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,969
    I work with and know some fairly well known musicians who do make their money from music and here's the funny thing, while they make really good money doing it... for at least a third of them, it's not their passion. They know how to write music that touches people and helps them in times of emotional turmoil... but does it make their heart sing? Nope.

Between them they'd rather be playing with cars, doing geeky things online or being an artist. They know though that they're crap at it and won't make them money to be able to do it if it was their career.

Chase what makes others hearts sing when you give them the solution. If it's something that makes your heart sing 24-7 doing it to then awesome (though if you're doing it 24-7 you're doing the Fastlane wrong... EMERGENCY BACKTRACK!! )

BrooklynHustle and Longinus like this.
  5. ApeRunner

ApeRunner Very Fast on a Bike Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,498
    Music was AND IS my dream.

But you know what is more important than a guitar that is properly tuned? Caring for your family.

You know what sucks ass? Feeding ramen to your family.

Fastlane IS the reason we are in this forum. Year by year I own better music equipment. Every month I have more time for making music. "Striving" to get rich is only temporary. I dont regret anything. My life and family ARE my true passion. The end justify the means.

¿What is the real END? ¿Is there one?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  6. ApeRunner

ApeRunner Very Fast on a Bike Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,498
    I was one of those 99.9% of musicians. Then I got my "Fuck This" event.

Now when I see this lots musicians beggin on the streets, following their passion, I laugh like Putin...

And I still love and enjoy music!

7. Iammelissamoore

Iammelissamoore Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    Prior to reading TMF and now Unscripted, I believed in that Passionate Philosophy too, but, when you're hungry, like literally hungry - no food to eat etc., Passion doesn't put food on the table; however, while TMF and Unscripted doesn't promote the "Do What You Love" philosophy, it doesn't sideline it.

When one builds a biz Fastlane and Unscripted, one manages to create enough time to do a lot of passion projects and follow dream passions because the foundation for income would have been set and working, therefore it leads to a win-win.

After all, life isn't about simply paying bills, and while not all passions may just be that, sometimes we can easily get lost in our passion that it blindsides us and we can lose understanding when things become to overwhelming and we don't have the means to get out.

8. BrooklynHustle

BrooklynHustle Entrepreneur Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $884
    Amen...

Iammelissamoore likes this.
  9. bringitnow28329

bringitnow28329 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $398
    Don't have kids or get married and your problem is solved. Marriage and children is a life of slavery for most people that aren't already in the fast lane.

kelvinfernandezm and amp0193 like this.
  10. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $130
    Ok so do you have any kids? Also when is the best age to have kids?

11. TheFrancophile

TheFrancophile New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $61
    May I add my humble two cents?

The above is absolutely true, except that it's hard doing something just for the money when you're not passionate about it and don't really like what you're doing. Eventually, even the promise of millions of $ won't be enough to keep you going and you'll burn out. In other words, if you're only doing it for the money, you'll fail. OTOH, if you're passionate about it, if you truly care about it, you will have an edge over the competition - they're only doing it for the money and you're doing it because you love it. And if you really love it, you'll likely to be pretty good at it.

I'm just an aspiring entrepreneur, not a seasoned one yet, but I think the best path is to do something that you love *and* which you're good at *and* which can bring you profits. Find out where those three conditions intersect.

I used to believe that "following your passion/doing what you love" doesn't work, but then again, many overwhelmingly-successful businessmen, from Warren Buffett to Elon Musk to Theo Paphitis, say that you should.

Sully1994 likes this.
  12. Iammelissamoore

Iammelissamoore Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    ...yet none of them actually built their wealth following that exact 'advice' they tell everyone; it's easier to tell people in a quick sentence "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" than it is to go through a whole course/conversation/lesson teaching people about:

1. Changing/Adjusting their mindset (because everything begins with changing or adjusting our mindsets).
    2. Explaining proven principles and theories that assist people in getting ahead with business.

I don't exactly get why Warren Buffet, Elon Musk and the likes would spend exceptional time telling consumerists the real way they got ahead, when they recognise that the vast majority of people have a very short attention span, and that most consumerists do not care to make an effort to live beyond owning the next latest, shiny object over becoming better versions of themselves.

FastNAwesome and GatsbyMag like this.
  13. TheFrancophile

TheFrancophile New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Uh oh. You are now essentially accusing all of the world's top businessmen, from Elon Musk to Warren Buffett to Jeff Bezos, of misleading people. That is a very serious accusation.

You're essentially accusing all of them of telling people one thing and doing something completely different : that they only tell people to follow their passions while doing something they're not passionate about just for the money or for the sake of responding to market demand.

Do you really think those people became so successful and wealthy simply because they recognized some unmet (or poorly met) demand and responded to it ? That their passions had nothing to do with their success ? Do you know their biographies ? Do you know what trials and tribulations most (if not all) of them had to go through ? In Elon Musk's case, this included the Great Recession of 2008 that hit the auto industry particularly hard (and sent oil prices down to the thirties), staking all of his life's fortune on saving Tesla and SpaceX, and being ridiculed in front of the whole world not just by the media, but also by his own childhood heroes (American astronauts such as Gene Cernan) testifying before Congress.

As Steve Jobs has said, faced with such difficulties, people who are doing it only for the sake of meeting demand (or for the money) will simply quit. Only those who are passionate about what they're doing will perservere.

And no, those wealthy business figures were not speaking to average consumerists, they were speaking to aspiring entrepreneurs at forums, seminars, and in similar settings. Here's a sample video of them speaking.

And BTW, the "don't follow your passion, the world doesn't give a damn about it, follow market demand instead" advice is nothing new. There are plenty of videos and websites by people who says so. Last time I checked, though, none of them was a billionnaire.

So basically, it all comes down to whom you listen to and whom you take your advice from.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 4:06 AM
    Tomahawk likes this.
  14. GatsbyMag

GatsbyMag Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $545
    It hardly mattered that young Henry Ford was drawn to automobiles, or that Ruben Rausing chose packaging, or that Bill Gates gravitated to software to create vast fortunes. I would be open to persuasion that had their roles, and the century in which they lived, been reversed, they would have done just as well and raised themselves every inch as high from the common herd financially. Their ability to take chances and to subsequently exploit initial success counted more than their inclination["passion"] towards a particular industry. Their execution of a strategy trumped the subject of their obsession.

- Taken from Felix Dennis.

[My maybe incorrect thoughts]
    Some people are lucky that they have talent in their passion which also happens to bring value to others i.e. LeBron James and Justin Bieber. And there are people like Elon Musk who are extremely intelligent which allows them to figure things out pretty quickly and dominate areas within Tech.

But for most of us who aren't talented in our passion and aren't blessed with extreme intelligence, we have to do things we don't enjoy. We have to use the passion that comes from overcoming the challenge of doing something we don't enjoy to keep us moving forward. I've had a hard time coming to terms with this reality but it's the only one that has worked well for me so far. Life's not fair and only those who can adapt quickly can survive and thrive.

15. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $20,915
    Way over thinking this "do what you love" stuff guys...

The common theme with the Elon Musk's and Steve Jobs' of the world? They filled a NEED. (Or several)

Of course those people love what they do, they are in (or were, in Jobs' case) a positive feedback loop from providing tremendous value to the world.

If "do what you love" coincides with a need that you can fill, great...do it. But for the vast majority of people that isn't the case and only leads to failure from starting a business on the premise of "I love doing this so much that people should pay me to do it"

And Steve Jobs understood that having a passion for being the best and providing more value than anyone else was followed by money.

I mean, the early days of Apple are one of the best examples of a productocracy on the planet, and all people got out of Jobs' example was "do what you love"??

GatsbyMag, Formless, topherea and 4 others like this.
  16. just10

just10 New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $76
    By focusing on what there is a demand for and what can make you money you can gain free time to focus on guitar or whatever your passion is without worrying if it will make money. Like MJ's example with free time allowing him to get back into piano.

17. Iammelissamoore

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    So lemme guess, if all of the world's top businessmen, from Elon Musk to Warren Buffet to Jeff Bezos tells you to hop off a cliff on one foot, you'd do it without questioning it simply because they - these world's top businessmen - said to do it? Many business people say to do a lot of things, yet, when scrutinizing how they built their wealth it's another story. Passion, isn't 100% a horrible thing - no it isn't, but, Passion is not usually the only principle these businesspeople would have used to get ahead in success. The problem we have isn't that they say passion guarantees millions, the problem is that alone isn't enough. However, who am I to say, after all - do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life!

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  18. Iammelissamoore

Rep Bank:
    $1,214
    Yessssss, you said it - virtual hug sent your way!

19. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $212,014
    Admin Post
    Bingo.

I'm passionate about singing.

I go on stage and get booed off.

But I'm passionate about singing, I'll keep trying!

The club owner tells me to get lost and never come again.

But I'm passionate about singing, I'll try my church!

I audition but my church does NOT select me for the choir or the vocal team.

But I'm passionate about singing, I'll try YouTube!

I post a singing video and it gets no likes, all downvotes, and a lot of bad comments.

I repeat the cycle for months.

No one likes my shit.

And now the big question is...

Am I still passionate?

Am I being interviewed by TMZ telling everyone to follow their passion?

Billionaires Cuban and Andreseen both said that the advice is destructive. As for Buffett, I don't believe a damn thing the dribbles out his mouth.

Yes, because that is emotional and not logical. It gives young people the mental ammunition to play video games, baseball, and various other "loved" pursuits in hopes that someone will pay them millions to do so.

Telling youngsters that life is tough and not filled with "love" is not a pill people want to swallow.

Great take from Felix Dennis. (Another billionaire?)

Telling people to follow your passion because Bezos and Buffett said so is like telling people to play the lottery because a few people won the Powerball.

Yea, OK.

20. ksc23

ksc23 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,622
    If you can be dissuaded from chasing your "passion" by other peoples' opinions, you're unlikely to persist through the struggles anyway.

Either go all the way in the likes of Orwell, Gogh, Nietzsche, etc.

Or choose a path with less variance and higher probability of success.

Formless likes this.
  21. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $212,014
    Admin Post
    @Longinus posted this in the media section... (thanks!)

Relevant to this thread...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Lionhearted

Lionhearted Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $389
    100% Agree with you here MJ.
    It's easy to say,"Follow your passion when you are a billionaire!" You can afford to waste millions on useless passions like a passion for sunbathing on the French Riviera watching topless ladies! Yea follow your passion! Right.
    I like what Grant Cardone said about this,"The reason you don't like what you do or don't have passion for it is because you SUCK AT IT!" Master what you do and you will have a passion for it. BTW I do NOT think this applies to bottle cap collecting or underwater basket weaving but you never know, if you are creative enough I am sure you can even make those things pay. All the best.

23. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $212,014
    Admin Post
    True dat, plus the echo of the market loving what you do, and you will love what you do.

You can't stay passionate about X when the world hates how you do X.

We are better off pursuing passionate interests without the validation of the world and/or money.

Lionhearted and CaptainAmerica like this.
  24. kelvinfernandezm

kelvinfernandezm Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $130
    O.K everything you wrote sounds good. And I'll go ahead and come clean the whole follow your passion idea for me came from reading the Baghavad Gita when I was younger. The central teaching is that you must do your duty for it's own sake not thinking about the outcome. So it lead me to believe that it translated to follow your passion because a passion you do it because you enjoy doing it, not for it's results. The whole point of the entrepeneur is working on something for the results it'll give him later.

25. Conrad B

Conrad B New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $6
    @kelvinfernandezm , you make a valid point, but only from the "slowlane" perspective of things. If you indeed have read the Fastlane - every year for the past three years, if I read that correctly - then it seems you've had a blind spot for one of the most important principles of the Fastlane.

Let me try to explain this as briefly and plainly as I can. I'm new, so I'll shout out to @MJ DeMarco while I'm at it.

The one thing better than having fun with family, the one thing better than playing a properly tuned guitar, the one thing better than eating ramen noodles (there's probably a million things better here, to be fair), the one thing better than engaging your passion; is doing all these things while wealthy; doing all these without financial pressure; doing all this when your time is independent of your income; when money is not a factor.

We do not have to choose either passion or riches. Leave that "tough" decision for the slowlaners. Your goal as Fastlaner, is to strategically have it all. Sacrifice everything else including your passion for a while, achieve financial freedom, and once money is no longer an issue, follow and enjoy your passion, forever.

If you, for instance, discover at 19 that you're madly passionate about playing guitar, where's the harm in putting that guitar aside for the next 5 to 10 years, doing every thing in your power to pursue and achieve financial freedom, then picking that guitar back up at 24 or 29, dusting it (with teary eyes), and then proceeding to have a lifetime of guitar-playing, ramen noodle eating and fun with friends and family?!

The idea is to know your goal, your destination, and to be certain of this,lest you get lost in the traffic!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017 at 12:48 AM
    kelvinfernandezm likes this.