The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! I have a problem with MJ DeMarco (Follow your passion gets a beatdown)

PedroG

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2013
NH
You misunderstood what MJ is saying. Become passionate about providing NEEDED value as opposed to providing UN-NEEDED value because that "value" is your passion.

When you do this, you will eventually be in a position where you can focus on whatever your other passions are (other than providing value) because you won't need to make money from them.

Make providing value, a passion in itself. It shouldn't matter what the value is as long as there is a need.

When you focus on your passions that don't solve a need, you are trying to solve your own problem and not the problems of your customers.

Last edited:

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

kelvinfernandezm

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 26, 2016
Fort Worth, Texas
Nice strawman bro, salted with a heaping spoonful of binarism...[/QUOTE
I grew up as a shy, sheltered introvert. I wanted to play video games professionally. That would have totally been my passion.

Know what I ended up choosing to get into? Sales.

Sales is a terrible, hard, uncomfortable place for a shy introvert to be. I spent my first few years hoping nobody finds out that I was a sham. It was easily the furthest possible profession from what I was passionate about. A pure money and time play. I later learned to love it but that was far after the decision to step into discomfort.

My wife and I bought our house (mortgaged - soon to be paid off in full) at 22/23 years old. Owned our car in cash. Got married. Honeymooned in Hawaii. We ate out whenever we wanted to and traveled all the time and went camping all the time and lived our lives however we wanted to, because we could choose to do whatever we wanted from a huge buffet of options that cash allowed. Best years of our lives in our leisure hours because I chose to make money during my working hours. When we had our fill, we decided to slow down and have two kids (that we planned and tried for). Now it's a new adventure.

All of our friends who did what they were passionate about couldn't believe the things we could afford to do. It's now over 10 years later and TO THIS DAY most of them are still behind where we were back then. One of them is considering buying a house, maybe, in the next few years, if they can find the cash. They'd also like to have kids, one day, maybe if they get that promotion on the horizon. But hey - at least he's doing what he loves, right?

Now I'm taking the time to try the bigger play - entrepreneurship. It means years of hardship to hopefully hit even larger levels of wealth than before. When it works out it will mean even more options than a sales career allowed. More travel, more options, more fun, more life.

I look at life as having two parts to it - working hours and leisure hours. The way I see it, all effort you put towards your working hours is equal. Whether you are flipping burgers or selling 6 figure solutions or playing guitar or building a business - it's income generating hours and effort. Leisure hours are where you get to spend the fruits of your working hours. The more you earn, the more you can play.

Personally I think it's INSANE to try to turn your leisure hours into income hours. You're shooting both feet doing this. You make nothing during your work hours so you can do nothing in your leisure hours. And that's what you strive for on your death bed?

I'd rather work my a$$ off, through any discomfort, while I'm on the clock so that I can play my a$$ off with my family when I'm off the clock.

Work hard.
Play hard.

If you'd rather work light, play light - well, go nuts. I'll send you a post card from Hawaii with a guitar on the front - I hear you're really into that kind of thing.

So far you have explained it better than anyone else. Thanks. I would give you some rep but I gave it away to the first answers.

arillera

Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 6, 2011
US
I had a similar conflict when I first read the book a few years ago.

Being an artist at heart I wanted to paint all day, be a world famous artist and make millions. Art is my passion.

I put the book aside and focused on my passion. No money came in. I ended up going back to work for someone else and hating it.

Picked up the book again and gave it another shot. Now I work for myself and allocate time in the day to create art and focus on my passion. I'm not a millionaire yet but I make enough already to have time to paint when I want or take days off.

Think of it like a ladder.

Building a freedom business is just one rung on the ladder to your dreams.

While it's possible to become successful at your passions first, the odds of that are slim without business knowledge anyways.

Even successful passion business, artist, musician, etc started somewhere else first usually anyways.

I didn't like my odds of either being the next Picasso who lived rich as an artist or dying broke like Van Gogh. Also didn't want to beg galleries to show my work and be at the mercy of the art elite. Instead, I decided to commit as many years now as it takes to build a freedom business that can will give me all the money and freedom I need to never need a gallery or be told what I should paint.

I've learned to love business as much as art. And have grown faster as artist using the business principles I've learned.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com

Being an artist at heart I wanted to paint all day, be a world famous artist and make millions. Art is my passion.

I put the book aside and focused on my passion. No money came in. I ended up going back to work for someone else and hating it.

Picked up the book again and gave it another shot. Now I work for myself and allocate time in the day to create art and focus on my passion. I'm not a millionaire yet but I make enough already to have time to paint when I want or take days off.

While it's possible to become successful at your passions first, the odds of that are slim without business knowledge anyways.

Even successful passion business, artist, musician, etc started somewhere else first usually anyways.

I didn't like my odds of either being the next Picasso who lived rich as an artist or dying broke like Van Gogh. Also didn't want to beg galleries to show my work and be at the mercy of the art elite. Instead, I decided to commit as many years now as it takes to build a freedom business that can will give me all the money and freedom I need to never need a gallery or be told what I should paint.

I've learned to love business as much as art. And have grown faster as artist using the business principles I've learned.

Just my 2 cents.

Excellent story.

Just my 2 cents.
Most definitely not 2 cents, more like millions. :praise::fistbump:

kelvinfernandezm

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 26, 2016
Fort Worth, Texas

Just my 2 cents.

By far the best thank you.

Fred Chevry

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 27, 2015
Miami, USA
Driving the fastlane and enjoying your passion are not mutually exclusive. I'm personally way more relaxed and happy to enjoy my passion since I don't need to monetize it anymore (I actually am, but I don't care or need to).

Also, relying on your passion for survival is not as glamorous as it sounds. It can kill creativity and make you hate what you used to enjoy.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Passion only works if the passion SOLVES someone's problem.
Playing the guitar CAN be a Fastlane. I found some websites which sold soundtracks in bulk when I was trying to make a promo video.
I took some of their freebies and they were good. I'll try to pay next time for more serious videos.
Not to mention music classes and books. When I used to prepare for music theory exams, we bought a hell lot, and mark my words, you could start a business with the money spent!
Music learning is A BIG BUSINESS. Look at the official ABRSM and Trinity Guildhall exam syndicates. Freaking businesses.
Same goes for any art like dancing and animation.

The passion that MJ disagrees with is SELFISH PASSION. The kind of passion that has you lock yourself away from the world to enjoy your own stuff rather than share it with the world. The negative passion that is just a lovey-dovey dreamland of fantastical perfection, that gets shattered if you suddenly lost your interest.

I like piano. It can be considered a passion. I took lessons for it. But it died. Why? I couldn't read notes. My teacher was abhorrent. I gave up. Up until school, when they announced they wanted to make a brass band. I joined because I saw a need. And that need gave me the push to revitalize my musical ability because I didn't want to see the band go to crap.

The Fastlane style of passion works because it gives purpose for the passion to help others. It's never about you. It's about the masses who need the idea, which needs YOU as the executor and the giver of the breath of life.

Why do you need the masses of people to like your passion and even pay money for it in the Fastlane sense, should you chose to monetise it? Because they give INPUT in the form of feedback, ideas, disagreements. And that enriches the activity itself as you have more things to use to create new things.

To keep passion alive, you need to put it out to people, and that is via the Fastlane Law of Effection. It's not easy, but MJ realised that. The general perception is that passion is for fun, just a hobby. No! Passion is to be weaponised as a goal to achieve, to motivate you, or as a tool to push the masses to you to get their money in the form of sales!

As for your dusty guitar, I symphathize. I haven't played my trumpet in a year..... :(
But I remind myself that my passion is to be mastered by ME and not I be mastered as the slave to my passion. I can choose which is my passion and which is not.

Don't live for your guitar. If you do desire passion for your guitar, do find people who need help with it and Fastlane it. Create some guitar string that doesn't break easily or some special technique that cuts the music learning curve! Remember jazz? It was created out to compensate the lack of musical education of Negro musicians, and countless millionaires have been created out of both the development and distribution of the music. You can either be the musician or the distributor ( remember Sex Pistols by Richard Branson). Or the teacher.

Don't worry about abandoning your passions. If you want passion to be at your side. Take it, and weaponise it, because your opponents lack that! They will never understand how their customers love the art and cherish it, and as a result will never deliver as well as you.

Always, provide value through your passion, to masses, and you can have millions. Don't be so hard on MJ. He loves writing. He expressed once that he wanted to be a scriptwriter. On some old thread, he actually wanted to create some post apocalyptic story (@MJ DeMarco , do you still have it?). But then the success of TMF and TFLF got him busy. He had to push these passions momentarily. Therefore, the anti-passion route was his route. It was painful. He mentioned how he took three years to write the book, detailed in TMF. Procrastination, doubt, desert of desertion....he faced them. That's what weaponizing passion for the masses will invoke. It's not easy. But he had to be merciless, for the sake of millions who needed a way out of mediocrity.

He weaponized his passion of writing in the TMF we know and love. Look at his posts....sharp, witty, chokefull of critical thinking and wisdom. Full of passion. But he was no slave to his passion. He was the master of his passion.

I will be direct and honest. He literally saved my life. Saved it! Saved me from buying crap get rich courses. Saved me from chasing the glitter. I was about to try real estate in a bad timing and funding position before TMF! If he just kept to himself for his writing passions, I'll be F*cked. So would you and many others on this forum!

If a country never produced soldiers to fight for its survival, the country will never last long. The next generation will have no place to call home.

Will you be the master of your passion? Will you say to your guitar, 'I know you are dusty and unused, but you are my tool. As my tool, I will make sure you give great value to others.'?

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2013
United States

Read some of @AgainstAllOdds earlier posts. He tried to make painting work for a while, now he's in china importing stuff in to the U.S.

A friend of mine double-majored in theoretical physics and music composition. Over 3 years in his garage, he developed an improvement to a fuel injection system on a certain kind of diesel engine. He sold the tech for 7 figs. Now he can do what he really wants to do... which is play piano and write music.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 28, 2014
Germany
Imagine you're on your deathbed sweaty, nervous, trying your best to stay awake because you know that as soon as you go to sleep that will be the last time you close your eyes. You're dying on a 24k gold bedframe. But you don't care nor notice all that, you keep going back to that one thing you always wanted to be. A guitarist.
Would you like to know how you can achieve the happiness you connect with "being a guitarist" or "being rich" right now?

There is a critical error in the underlying assumption of your story, which is that something on the outside like achieving a dream will bring you happiness. If this error exists in your mind, you'll always follow the next thing and pursuing your passion won't give you what you're searching for.

Or in other words: Once you are a guitarist, you'll suddenly be on your deathbed thinking about your hidden passion for cooking or playing with kittens. The point is that the mind ALWAYS feels like it has missed out on life and regret starts coming in once the possibility of death becomes relevant.

But what is the nature of this regret? Why do we always feel like we don't have or are enough? Why do we always want more or different things than those that are present?

The mistake lies in the concept that the mind is right. We unconsciously assume that the mind knows what we want because we identify with it. We think we are the mind.

"I want to be a guitarist" is not the truth. Your mind wants to be a guitarist because it thinks that this is a solution to all its problems. But this is not you.

Just say "hello" in your mind a few times. You can hear that, right? If you can hear it, you can't be it. As simple as that.

The truth is, the mind can never be satisfied. It's not designed this way, it's a survival mechanism.

If it was satisfied, it would be quiet, and if we're brutally honest with ourselves, we don't really want that because it's unfamiliar and evokes fear. Fear of nothingness, fear of death. If there's nothing in the outside world that can satisfy our thirst for happiness, we think that we would be hopeless and empty. But that's not reality.

So if nothing that the mind says can ever make us happy, what then?

Here's the second underlying assumption: "When in our basic state, we are unhappy. We need to do something to achieve happiness."

What if I told you that being happy is our natural state? And that we don't need to take off and fly, but just let go of what's dragging us down? That would render the initial assumption, that we need to follow our passion for achieving happiness, irrelevant.

How to be happy right now

Step 1: Become aware of what makes you unhappy currently. Sit still, breathe, and feel your body. Ignore your mind and concentrate on what's happening in your body. If you're not happy now, then you will feel tension in your body - it can't be differently.

Step 2: Focus on that tension and just be with it, without attempting to change it or modify it in any way, shape or form. Your only goal is to be with what's making your body uncomfortable.

Step 3: Once you've been with that tension, consciously decide (not try!) that you let go of this tension and want to be back to your natural state of happiness more than you want to cling to that tension.

You feel noticeably lighter when you let go of something. Repeat this for everything that bothers you and after a few months (or years) you'll be in a state of constant peace and joy. Then you can enjoy every moment, whatever happens, and don't have to lie on your deathbed thinking "what if".

Best,
Harti

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Would you like to know how you can achieve the happiness you connect with "being a guitarist" or "being rich" right now?

There is a critical error in the underlying assumption of your story, which is that something on the outside like achieving a dream will bring you happiness. If this error exists in your mind, you'll always follow the next thing and pursuing your passion won't give you what you're searching for.

Or in other words: Once you are a guitarist, you'll suddenly be on your deathbed thinking about your hidden passion for cooking or playing with kittens. The point is that the mind ALWAYS feels like it has missed out on life and regret starts coming in once the possibility of death becomes relevant.

But what is the nature of this regret? Why do we always feel like we don't have or are enough? Why do we always want more or different things than those that are present?

The mistake lies in the concept that the mind is right. We unconsciously assume that the mind knows what we want because we identify with it. We think we are the mind.

"I want to be a guitarist" is not the truth. Your mind wants to be a guitarist because it thinks that this is a solution to all its problems. But this is not you.

Just say "hello" in your mind a few times. You can hear that, right? If you can hear it, you can't be it. As simple as that.

The truth is, the mind can never be satisfied. It's not designed this way, it's a survival mechanism.

If it was satisfied, it would be quiet, and if we're brutally honest with ourselves, we don't really want that because it's unfamiliar and evokes fear. Fear of nothingness, fear of death. If there's nothing in the outside world that can satisfy our thirst for happiness, we think that we would be hopeless and empty. But that's not reality.

So if nothing that the mind says can ever make us happy, what then?

Here's the second underlying assumption: "When in our basic state, we are unhappy. We need to do something to achieve happiness."

What if I told you that being happy is our natural state? And that we don't need to take off and fly, but just let go of what's dragging us down? That would render the initial assumption, that we need to follow our passion for achieving happiness, irrelevant.

Step 1: Become aware of what makes you unhappy currently. Sit still, breathe, and feel your body. Ignore your mind and concentrate on what's happening in your body. If you're not happy now, then you will feel tension in your body - it can't be differently.

Step 2: Focus on that tension and just be with it, without attempting to change it or modify it in any way, shape or form. Your only goal is to be with what's making your body uncomfortable.

Step 3: Once you've been with that tension, consciously decide (not try!) that you let go of this tension and want to be back to your natural state of happiness more than you want to cling to that tension.

You feel noticeably lighter when you let go of something. Repeat this for everything that bothers you and after a few months (or years) you'll be in a state of constant peace and joy. Then you can enjoy every moment, whatever happens, and don't have to lie on your deathbed thinking "what if".

Best,
Harti

Read some of @AgainstAllOdds earlier posts. He tried to make painting work for a while, now he's in china importing stuff in to the U.S.

A friend of mine double-majored in theoretical physics and music composition. Over 3 years in his garage, he developed an improvement to a fuel injection system on a certain kind of diesel engine. He sold the tech for 7 figs. Now he can do what he really wants to do... which is play piano and write music.

Just my 2 cents.

These posts turned this thread from NOTABLE to GOLD.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
These posts turned this thread from NOTABLE to GOLD.
Hehe...this is why I keep coming back to this Forum. We turn sad, bad negative threads into threads full of hope, opportunities and value. Is it me, or have the number of NOTABLES multiplied these few weeks?

We are really pushing up the content for the launch of UNSCRIPTED! I can imagine how pleased new readers of UNSCRIPTED will be when they find so many answers once them are led here!

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
What if you were on your deathbed and ..

Suddenly you weren't because ..

You spent your life building wealth and ..

You funded life-extending products that actually worked and ..

You used those products to extend your life indefinitely and ..

You had an infinite amount of time to learn guitar because ..

ugh.

If you're on your deathbed regretting not learning guitar, it's because you believe there's no chance to survive.

Or ..

You don't have the will to fight for your survival so you just gave up.

In either case:

A) Believing you don't stand a chance
B) Not having the will to fight

You lose. Same with business.

If you're nearly dead and believe there's a chance to survive, you wouldn't give a shit about guitar. You would only care about doing what it takes to survive.

It's basic human psychology.

Maslow's Hierarchy level 1 = survival

Survival forms the base of the pyramid. Creativity is at the top.

The drowning man doesn't care about not learning guitar.

He splashes to keep his head above water, even when he doesn't know how to swim.

The man whose foot is trapped beneath a boulder doesn't care about what he didn't create.

He uses a pocket knife to saw off his leg so he can f*cking survive.

In both cases, when survival is secure, the men do not whip out their guitar.

They seek other basic human needs before seeking out family for safety and security.

So even if your theoretical situation were real ..

Guitar would almost certainly be the furthest thing from your mind.

And if there's 0 chance you will live.

Then it doesn't matter anyway.

Because when you're dead, you're dead.

Game over.

(Unless you believe in an afterlife in which case you'll have plenty of time to learn guitar there.)
I agree with the concept, except for in most cases when you are dying at an old age there is no way to fight your way out of it. Sure, if you are about to drown in a F*cking river maybe - but that's not how most people die. Like you said though, it doesn't matter in the end because once you are dead you are dead. It also doesn't matter that it doesn't matter.

Here is what I would say: life needs to be nurtured in able to thrive. You have your vegetables and then you have your deserts. There is no such thing as having it all good. Wanting this is retarded anyways because it is the lows that give context/contrast to the highs within our lives. View your time starting a business or working as time watering your garden. Only later can you enjoy the fruits.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
It's one thing to eat ramen and not pay bills at 19 or 20, but try it at age 45.
Ramen is actually a luxury item at restaurants in Chicago.

I've seen places packed out the door selling $25 ramen. I must admit, I was one of those people.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 28, 2015
World Citizen
It's one thing to eat ramen and not pay bills at 19 or 20, but try it at age 45.
Ramen is actually a luxury item at restaurants in Chicago.

I've seen places packed out the door selling $25 ramen. I must admit, I was one of those people.

That's probably why 99.9% of all musicians, while trying to follow their dream, are bitter, frustrated and absolutely not enjoying themselves.

In case you still don't get it: playing songs on a tuned guitar won't solve problems for many people. Curing cancer will.
For some reason Putin memes do really well on this forum.

kelvinfernandezm

FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 26, 2016
Fort Worth, Texas
Every young person struggles with this conflict. Ultimately the two paradigms do not need to be mutually exclusive, but often times you have to delay gratification to do what you want.
You're right about this when I was in high school and everyone was deciding to either go to college or not is when I started battling between following what I liked to do or wait it out and get financially settled first. Thanks for the input.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
And one thing few artists understand is that your capability of making great art increases as you have more money.

For example, now I can hire an entire studio in China to paint my works. Or start creating sculptures and installing them wherever I please.

It's the same with music.

As you get money, you can purchase better production, better singing lessons, etc.

And if that's not the route you want to take, then at the very least you can purchase more time, and then use that time to create great works.

Hyrum

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 5, 2016
Nebraska
My only problem with The Millionaire Fastlane is that I've read the thing four times and I'm still not a millionaire. Luckily, I just received Unscripted in the mail yesterday. I bet by the time I'm done reading it my luck will have changed!

@AgainstAllOdds raised a good point. I have always enjoyed writing and at times have had a strong desire to become a professional author. Problem is, I'm not very good at it. My (current) plan is to create the outlines and notes and hire a professional ghostwriter to do the parts I can't. I still get to exercise my creativity and have the feeling of accomplishment of seeing it completed. I just get to focus on the parts I'm good at.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My only problem with The Millionaire Fastlane is that I've read the thing four times and I'm still not a millionaire. Luckily, I just received Unscripted in the mail yesterday. I bet by the time I'm done reading it my luck will have changed!
Ahem....being a consumer of books does not make you a millionaire producer....
And luck does not change just because you read a book the same way one apple isn't going to save me from cancer.
However, many apples combined with a healthy diet, sugar reduction, exercise routine and enough sleep might reduce the odds of cancer.
The same way that product validation, sales, problem solving and scaling will provide the millions.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 1, 2013
NH
You have read the book four times and have understood it zero times.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands

This is what's really weird. I'm bored with this experience! I've pretty much mastered a lot of techniques, studied it all, know a lot inside and out. And it used to be my passion and my why? And for some reason because I've been around it my entire life, it's just not challenging to me anymore. I believe that some of us love the challenge of mastering things, but than just simply get bored with it, for the simple reason it's being intelligent, a genius, and so your mind searches for something to heighten the experience. It doesn't matter if you're in constant peace and joy. Monks and Buddhists sit in caves and are at peace. Fortunately, this doesn't make you rich in wealth. And the other part, meditation becomes a way to escape and relax too much, which doesn't equal money either. While it may be necessary to a point, I believe people can get lost in the five senses, emotions, and feeling good, and that really doesn't amount to being rich either.

I think no matter what I choose personally, there will always be moments where I hate it and other times I love it. There will be times where I crash and burn, and tear things down, and rebuild new things. I really don't buy into theories much anymore, because they seem irrelevant to a point. You have an ocean of theories and philosophies. I believe in M.J.'s theory for the simple reason, I know he's done it himself. The individuals who go through the experience and took the actions, mean more than the surface words, and theories behind it, the sales gimmicks, the persuasive speech. The journey and the internal process. The longevity of sticking to something, finishing it, maneuvering through the obstacles, feelings, emotions, and thoughts. Since these are always changing, the only correct answer in the end is where your choices and actions take you.

I can tell you what I like about M.J. is he wrote a book and not standing around like a Guru, or leader. He just wrote the message, and said here you go. It's up to you to do the rest. He doesn't steal hours and hours of my attention feeding me theories, beliefs, that change moment to moment by his experience, or what he's read, what he's learned, and actually allowing people to make their choices and take action on their own.

loop101

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2013
First of all I have read the Fastlane Millionaire every year for the past 3 years or so. I love the book. And yes I already order Unscripted I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

I respect MJ Demarco and his work but since the the first time I read his book I can't get over the fact that he says that money is more important than your passion. That doing what you love will not make you rich.

Imagine you're on your deathbed sweaty, nervous, trying your best to stay awake because you know that as soon as you go to sleep that will be the last time you close your eyes. You're dying on a 24k gold bedframe. But you don't care nor notice all that, you keep going back to that one thing you always wanted to be. A guitarist.

That was your dream and what you enjoyed most. But it wasn't paying the bills or putting food on the table. Nobody was buying your music either because they were been torrented. Yet you still enjoyed yourself and could survive off ramen noodles as long as your guitar was properly tuned.

But the pressure from your family to provide food and shelter made you take a detour on your dream. That detour led to riches but it also robbed you of your time with your precious guitar. Yet everytime you saw your dusty guitar in the coner of your room you told yourself next week I'll have free time to play. But you never did.

And yes I know money can buy you some good guitar lessons, your own record label, and even a recording studio. But unless you're Fastlane it won't give you time. So you either choose to strive to be rich or to follow your passion. Comfort in life or regret while dying.

Both passion and riches are essential for your life so is it possible to combine them both? Or are we forever force to decide for either or?
There are a lot of different paradigms for wealth-building, maybe one that includes "passion" is better suited to you. One of the principles of the Fastlane, if not the principle, is that the more people you serve, the greater the potential for wealth. You're not going to get away from that. If you make a hit single, and make millions, that is Fastlane. If you play in your garage by yourself, that is you just having fun.

If including "passion" is very important to you, I suggest checking out Jim Collin's "Hedgehog"concept: "The concept requires the intersection of three answers: What are you passionate about? What can you be the best at? What can actually make you a living? And the answer must meet all three criteria."

If you are not a great guitarist, Scott Adams (of "Dilbert" fame) decided to follow a path of being in the top 75% of 3 different skills.

Here is a guy with moderate guitar skills, comedian skills, and 200 million video views.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsJHqstPuNo

GameOver

World Domination
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 11, 2017
USA
I get where you're coming from, and I'll tell you how I have decided to look at things and maybe it will help you out as well.

I'm currently in the corporate world, and it takes up all my time and energy. I am actively looking to start my own thing. I've had at least one idea that I think is scalable and has a world-wide reach, but it is something I'd find boring even doing for a few years. So I passed on that, but am now working on an idea that is somewhat related to my interests, but it still geared-towards scale and multiples. It's enough to still be a passion for me, and could potentially make a lot of money.

So maybe think of things in terms like this... you love music, but unless you are one of the best musicians on the planet you aren't going to be able to touch the lives of millions of people playing your music. But maybe there is something music-related that you can do, to serve millions of other musicians, to help them reach their audiences. In doing whatever that is, you make a ton of money and can play your guitar anytime you want. Maybe the business you start is such that you even have your own platform to get up and do your thing in front of folks that you wouldn't have had otherwise. And at the same time, you are helping tons of folks to get their creativity out there, and as a result you are rewarded by having more free time to do whatever you want. Wouldn't that also be a life worth living? Wouldn't you feel pretty good about that on your death bed?

Sean Corroon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 4, 2014
Dubai, UAE
Yes it's possible to combine them both but maybe it's not probable. Great if you can pull it off. Maybe you're passionate about guitar but you're not good enough or you are the good in a genre that won't pay the bills.

Do something you have an aptitude for. The better you get the more you will like it.

Don't do something you hate but it's OK if sometimes there may be parts of a job you hate.

It's not good to be on your deathbed thinking about how rough your life was because you stuck to your passion project! Find a balance so that you take care of yourself and also get to do what you love as time and resources permit.

I've lately been thinking there's some value in sucking it up in a pursuit that is profitable solely to create a solid financial future. Basically save up enough to become financially independent. Live within your means and do what you like. That's much better than slaving to afford stuff that won't really make you happy.
Are you ken from TRF ??

proper

Contributor
Feb 5, 2017
London, UK
If playing guitar solves other people's problems or makes them happy, you'll be rewarded. The rewards will be bigger if you can reach more people or solve bigger issues. You talked about pirated copies of your work. But I think you are in the guitar playing business not the music distribution business, right?

If playing guitar only helps you to follow your own passion, you will only be rewarded by yourself.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com

v0lume4

New Contributor
May 1, 2017
Greenville, SC
For starters, I believe the biggest takeaway from this thread thus far is that your fastlane plan and your passion can coexist -- you don't have to choose one or the other. Frankly, having a successful fastlane plan will help fund what you LOVE -- playing your guitar! As you might remember in The Millionaire Fastlane, MJ wanted to be a screenwriter growing up ("blame Steven Spielberg", quoting the book). Once he made his money, he had the time to sit down and do exactly what he's wanted to do for a long time -- write! He didn't have to be at an office at 8AM, come home exhausted by 5PM, and then convince himself to work on his book. He had all day, every day, available to work on his book because his business and money systems bought him time.

You really love playing the guitar. And you might be the next Kirk Hammett -- neither me nor anyone here has the right to say that you won't be. Or... you may not. Regardless the outcome, why not at least create explosive cash flow in the meantime? I mean, man, can you imagine how much fun you could have waking up every morning, grabbing some coffee, then picking up your expensive guitar (plugged into the amp of your dreams) for hours, knowing "I don't have to be anywhere today." That would be INSANE, right?

--

Now, let me level with you. I know exactly where you are coming from because I routinely suffer with the same dilemma. I want to be a photographer and videographer. And I want to travel. Every time I open up Instagram, I see the many professional photographers that I follow traveling, having fun, hanging out together, creating content, and getting paid for it! Often times, their travels are paid for entirely by their clients. "Getting paid to travel to do what I love -- taking photos? What?! Sign me up!"

Well, there's another dream of mine that I didn't mention -- owning a Ferrari. For the most part, even as a successful photographer, I'd still be doing jobs for other people. There would be a ceiling as to what I could earn, as I only have a certain amount of days in the year to take photographs. I'd be trading my time for money, even though it'd be at a great rate. And if I decided to quit taking photos -- then what? My cash flow would cease. Goodbye travel and goodbye Ferrari.

And this leads me to my next and final point -- "Follow your passion" isn't inherently bad advice, as long as you apply fastlane principles to your passion.

You love the guitar, and you love playing music. You know WAY more about the music industry than most people do as a result, which means you also know much more about the problems within that industry. When you're playing your guitar, searching for new gear, or doing anything related to the guitar, how often do you think to yourself, "I wish there was a way to...", or "This sucks because..." or "If only I could..."

Answer those questions, and start a business. Because with 8 billion people on this planet, if you have a problem, I guarantee you that thousands (millions?) of others have had the same problem. Solve the problem! You don't have the drop the guitar or your love of music in order to create a fastlane business -- create a fastlane business within the industry that you love! You have unique insight into the problems of the music industry, and maybe just maybe, @kelvinfernandezm will be the one that solves problems for millions of other guitarists out there.

Solve needs. Solve problems. Use your unique insight in the music industry to solve problems within that industry.

I wish you the very best, my friend. Keep us updated. Cheers. :smile:

---

Fun example: What kind of travel could I do and what kind of pictures could I take if I had time and money, paid for by a fastlane business? Well, look no further than a man named Tom Anderson: the man that created and sold MySpace: Tom Anderson (@myspacetom) • Instagram photos and videos

A quick thank you: I'm new to the forum, and the advice given within this thread has been Gold (pun intended). I appreciate all of you taking the time to write out your responses. Not only have they helped the OP, but they have helped me, too.

edit -- Changed Kurt Cobain to Kirk Hammett. Got the two mixed up

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
First of all I have read the Fastlane Millionaire every year for the past 3 years or so. I love the book. And yes I already order Unscripted I'm still waiting for it in the mail.

I respect MJ Demarco and his work but since the the first time I read his book I can't get over the fact that he says that money is more important than your passion. That doing what you love will not make you rich.

That was your dream and what you enjoyed most. But it wasn't paying the bills or putting food on the table. Nobody was buying your music either because they were been torrented. Yet you still enjoyed yourself and could survive off ramen noodles as long as your guitar was properly tuned.

But the pressure from your family to provide food and shelter made you take a detour on your dream. That detour led to riches but it also robbed you of your time with your precious guitar. Yet everytime you saw your dusty guitar in the coner of your room you told yourself next week I'll have free time to play. But you never did.

And yes I know money can buy you some good guitar lessons, your own record label, and even a recording studio. But unless you're Fastlane it won't give you time. So you either choose to strive to be rich or to follow your passion. Comfort in life or regret while dying.

Both passion and riches are essential for your life so is it possible to combine them both? Or are we forever force to decide for either or?

man, you should become a copywriter because you can grab attention

copywriters don't care whether they are right or wrong

they just want enough people to show up and discuss the thing

and grabing attention in our overwhelmed world is worth millions

even if 80 % of people don't like you, the remaining 20 % are enough to help make you money anyway

this is especially true is you are approved by the best 20 % of the population as described by the 80/20 rule

congratulations !!

Law 6 Court Attention at all Cost

Everything is judged by its appearance; what is unseen counts for nothing. Never let yourself get lost in the crowd, then, or buried in oblivion. Stand out. Be conspicuous, at all cost. Make yourself a magnet of attention by appearing larger, more colorful, more mysterious, than the bland and timid masses.

from the 48 laws of power

Last edited:

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2015
Italy

I get your point and I understand you pretty well because I'm a guitarist as well!

In my opinion, it is all a matter of finding the right balance between work and passions (as well as other crucial things like love, relationships, hobbies, etc. ) . In simple words we have to find the balance between work and life.

Work isn't life. Unless you make money with your passion. But most of us could never make money with our passions, just because we aren't good enough.

Regarding myself, for example, I like basketball, but I'm not good enough to become a pro player. So it's unlikely I would make money playing basketball. Thus I need to work on things I don't like. Why? Because I need money.

We live in a society based on money and money is necessary to live.

If you don't like this, you can move to Amazonia and live together with the aborigines. But I guess you won't be able to connect your amp to an electric source.

So, we need to find a balance between work and life.
If you only work, you will waste your life, as well as your health.
If you only live, you won't make any money.

5holiday

Contributor
Jun 7, 2012
This was actually a relevant, worthwhile point to make and discuss.

It seems like 90% of the replies to this are dogmatic garbage, regurgitating 'the gospel' and referencing MJ as if he is some cloud breaking, light shining saint reaching down from heaven to impart words of unquestionable wisdom. Evey book is an opinion , guys.

There is more than one valid way to live a successful life - and not everyone is going to have one.

Some people will work their a$$ off for FI early and it will work. Some people work their a$$ off and die unexpectedly, leaving behind friends and family who wished they thought worked more on the 'play hard' part.

Some people will follow their passions, make F*ck-all cash for most of their life and hit it big later as a rock star, thought leader (not one of those thinkfluencer clowns), writer, whatever.

Whatever the case, I'd wager that most people who've made it in life did it by being themselves and not forcing themselves to go totally against something they're not.

Here's a cliche example if you wanted one: I bet you Steve Jobs didn't TRY to be a hard headed a**hole because he read it in a book. He just was. That worked for him. I doubt he optimized his choices in life just for cash and I doubt could have made the same impact in his life in career forcing himself to found some other kinds of companies because he thought they would get him FI earlier.

The book is an opinion about what's important and works. It's worth discussing different points of view on the pros and cons.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Every book is an opinion , guys.

There is more than one valid way to live a successful life - and not everyone is going to have one.
Absolutely.

In the end there is no right / wrong answer.

However I always try to deconstruct everything down to mathematics and put it into the perspective of game theory -- math is the fundamental law of the universe. From my research, what approach has the better odds of succeeding? Following your passion? Or following where there's demand? IMO, it's the latter.

It's kinda like debating MLM -- I won't say you can't succeed or make money at it -- many do -- my problem lies in the mathematics, or the odds of success.

If tasked with winning a game and 1 path gives you 1% odds of winning and the other 11%, which path do you want to pursue? Both paths can win -- it is just one gives you better chances.

lewj24

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
I bet you Steve Jobs didn't TRY to be a hard headed a**hole because he read it in a book. He just was. That worked for him. I doubt he optimized his choices in life just for cash and I doubt could have made the same impact in his life in career forcing himself to found some other kinds of companies because he thought they would get him FI earlier.
Steve Jobs read books daily so how do you know he didn't get the idea from a book and ran with it when it worked? I'm a completely different person than I was 2 years ago because I started reading regularly.

Steve Jobs also started Pixar when he was fired from Apple.

Obviously you're wrong about most or all of what you said here. You don't stumble into a net worth of over $10 Billion. He clearly optimized his choices to make money.

TrevorLC

New Contributor
May 21, 2015
His point the way I saw it was to get rich quick through the fastlane so that you would be able to pursue your passion without having to worry whether or not it will pay the bills.

For him it was the book, he literally says he doesn't know or care if it'll sell well in the pages because he was already making millions off investments.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Michael Greene

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 2, 2015
Detroit
www.persiagrai.com

I know this thread is kind of dead but i want to make a point about it.

1. You should keep in mind that MJ wrote the book from the perspective of a person who wanted to achieve a luxury lifestyle but does not see himself as particularly "talented" or "gifted". I don't believe he is saying "i'm not talented, so you're not talented either...go invent something". He may not have believed he was talented enough to reach his lifestyle off of his writing alone ( though his sales suggest otherwise ;) ), that's just his belief it dictated his own actions. Other people might think the opposite and then you get J.K Rowling's. He's speaking from his perspective and giving advice to people who resonate with that message. If you don't think it applies to you, skip over that part. The other 99% of the book applies to anyone aspiring towards success.

2. Regardless of you want to want to do, the principle still comes down to providing value for others. Whether you're MJ, Mark Cuban, Slash, Drake, Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Martha Stewart, whoever. Whether you're doing a work of passion or not. It comes down to providing value for others. LeBron is insanely passionate about basketball, but nobody cares that he is passionate about basketball. LeBron is rich because he is entertaining to watch. His passion may have driven him to get his skills to the point where he is now, but the value for others is in the entertainment not the passion. That goes for all entertainers. All roads lead to providing value for others. So if you want to be rich as a guitarist that's something to think about.

3. You may not even want to pursue fast lane. Fastlane is about building a system that can operate on it's own with minimal effort on your behalf so you can live the lifestyle you want to live. But if you want to live the lifestyle of a musician, because you're an artist and you would be using your free time to make music anyway, then maybe that's not what you want. Maybe you want your income connected to your time if you're spending the time doing what you want to do. If that's the case you shouldn't be worrying about Fastlane, you should be focused on expanding your brand, increasing your popularity so you can increase the amount of opportunities available to you in the field you actually want to go into. I have friends making 20k for an hour show on top of paid travel and lodging, and they're happy. It's about what you want to do.

4. Keep in mind that the music industry in 2017 is not what it was in 1997. If it was possible to go Fast Lane in music at any point it would be now. You can do what a record label does for yourself. By that i mean, You can distribute and register your works and collect all the money, rather than receive royalties. I know of an artist that makes 90k a month from his music because he's independent so he owns all the rights to his songs (it helps that he does everything his self too). Then it becomes a game of getting your name out there (to LISTENERS), which you would have to do anyway if you had a business (to customers).

Just food for thought.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 9, 2015
If playing guitar solves other people's problems or makes them happy, you'll be rewarded. The rewards will be bigger if you can reach more people or solve bigger issues. You talked about pirated copies of your work. But I think you are in the guitar playing business not the music distribution business, right?

If playing guitar only helps you to follow your own passion, you will only be rewarded by yourself.
I work with and know some fairly well known musicians who do make their money from music and here's the funny thing, while they make really good money doing it... for at least a third of them, it's not their passion. They know how to write music that touches people and helps them in times of emotional turmoil... but does it make their heart sing? Nope.

Between them they'd rather be playing with cars, doing geeky things online or being an artist. They know though that they're crap at it and won't make them money to be able to do it if it was their career.

Chase what makes others hearts sing when you give them the solution. If it's something that makes your heart sing 24-7 doing it to then awesome (though if you're doing it 24-7 you're doing the Fastlane wrong... EMERGENCY BACKTRACK!! )

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
betosanro.com
. Yet you still enjoyed yourself and could survive off ramen noodles as long as your guitar was properly tuned.

But the pressure from your family to provide food and shelter made you take a detour on your dream.
Music was AND IS my dream.

But you know what is more important than a guitar that is properly tuned? Caring for your family.

You know what sucks a$$? Feeding ramen to your family.

Fastlane IS the reason we are in this forum. Year by year I own better music equipment. Every month I have more time for making music. "Striving" to get rich is only temporary. I dont regret anything. My life and family ARE my true passion. The end justify the means.

¿What is the real END? ¿Is there one?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom