• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Mike Rowe for PragerU: DON'T Follow Your Passion (great video)

Discussion in 'The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Mind' started by ChrisV, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,244
    Brad S likes this.
  2. ChrisV

ChrisV Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,244
  3. PizzaOnTheRoof

PizzaOnTheRoof Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,514
    This video should be mandatory viewing before high school graduation.

On a side note: I'd rather listen to Mike Rowes voice than Morgan Freeman lol

ChrisR likes this.
  4. Ravens_Shadow

Ravens_Shadow I'm sorry... I couldn't resist. Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $16,184
    I genuinely like Mike. He's got good intentions and though he speaks of a lot of slowlane paths, he knows there's a fastlane within dirty work.

andyhaus44 likes this.
  5. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,244
  6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,432
    Admin Post
    Yea, it's been posted here 1/2 dozen times over the last 2 years and was pretty much the first "mainstream" person to counter the BS narrative "follow your passion." Of course I'd like to say I was one of the first to say this way back in 2008 when it was unheard of, but I'm not mainstream.

Now it's more common place and I'm always like "Duh, yea I've been saying it over a decade."

Surprised you found PragerU stuff in the first place... the TechnoCzars are always censoring their vids for political incorrectness. But yea, there's some really good stuff there if logic and reasoning is your thing ... emotional thinkers won't like it.

lucasb, Get Right and ChrisR like this.
  7. ChrisV

Rep Bank:
    $11,244
    Oh sorry man

but these short little videos are so good.. they’re like totally up our alley.. every one of them

1:10 forward especially

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D9B6TfxCCY

Channel: PragerU

8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke I am here for your DATA. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,931

9. Brad S

Brad S Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,231
    Here's a book that deals with a similar theme.

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love https://www.amazon.com/dp/1455509124/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_oecRBb195SVQY

I know @mjdemarco was reading his second book Deep Work.

Description:

In this eye-opening account, Cal Newport debunks the long-held belief that "follow your passion" is good advice. Not only is the cliché flawed-preexisting passions are rare and have little to do with how most people end up loving their work-but it can also be dangerous, leading to anxiety and chronic job hopping.

After making his case against passion, Newport sets out on a quest to discover the reality of how people end up loving what they do. Spending time with organic farmers, venture capitalists, screenwriters, freelance computer programmers, and others who admitted to deriving great satisfaction from their work, Newport uncovers the strategies they used and the pitfalls they avoided in developing their compelling careers.

Matching your job to a preexisting passion does not matter, he reveals. Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before.
    In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how you do it.

With a title taken from the comedian Steve Martin, who once said his advice for aspiring entertainers was to "be so good they can't ignore you," Cal Newport's clearly written manifesto is mandatory reading for anyone fretting about what to do with their life, or frustrated by their current job situation and eager to find a fresh new way to take control of their livelihood. He provides an evidence-based blueprint for creating work you love.

SO GOOD THEY CAN'T IGNORE YOU will change the way we think about our careers, happiness, and the crafting of a remarkable life.

Review:

"This book changed my mind. It has moved me from 'find your passion, so that you can be useful' to 'be useful so that you can find your passion.' That is a big flip, but it's more honest, and that is why I am giving each of my three young adult children a copy of this unorthodox guide."

--Kevin Kelly, Senior Maverick, WIRED magazine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,432
    Admin Post
    Yup, and results fire the feedback loop, firing passion. Passion doesn't lead the exercise, is follows.

lucasb, Raoul Duke, Roz and 1 other person like this.