The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I don't know what to do anymore.. should I just accept mediocrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Re: I don't know what to do anymore.. should I just accept medioc

I feel like this all the time as well. I have tried a few different things with varied success, but always feel that they weren't the right one.

Did wholesaling properties, but found it wasn't the path I thought it would be.
Did / doing affiliate marketing, but have only had small success.

At least I am learning something from each one that I will be able to use later.

Here is what I find interesting: A lot of us on this forum are in the same exact boat. I have seen numerous people post in this thread alone "I have the same problem".

This makes me feel that there is an opportunity even if I don't know what it is yet. Is there something we can do to help each other get out of this stage and get closer to success?

I think the best thing is to stop mental masturbation (constant learning of new things, reading tons of blogs or books, non-stop thinking and planing). Just go and make the first step, doesn't matter if it's in the right direction or wrong (whether you succeed or not). Like you said, you had a few tries but they didn't go as you want, still, you got what you need - you learned something useful! ;)

This post is for everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

There are other fun things in my life, but these things definitely get me out of bed with a smile on my face.

And this is where a bright idea/question came into my head.

To everyone- No thread hijack intended- What gets you out of bed on a free day? What do you enjoy to do with your time that you can provide others with value?

I think these two questions can open up many doors to the questions we ask ourselves in this thread.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009

I think the best thing is to stop mental masturbation (constant learning of new things, reading tons of blogs or books, non-stop thinking and planing). Just go and make the first step, doesn't matter if it's in the right direction or wrong (whether you succeed or not). Like you said, you had a few tries but they didn't go as you want, still, you got what you need - you learned something useful! ;)

What is important is the first step +speed for that.

However I want to add that after the first step, there is the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

Each step is equally as hard, and at each step you will feel just as, if not more hopeless than not starting at all.

The key is to keep pushing yourself, the next step might make all the difference, whether it might be the 1000th or the one millionth.

D

DeletedUser394

I have nothing to add right now, but my hour of desperation has blossomed into a pretty cool discussion :) !!!!

clee4

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 13, 2009
NJ

very very true on this post. i started the same way....i read everything and anything and had a ton of information....but the only thing driving me crazy was how to put all this information to good use? i mean...all the reading and acquiring information is great, but taking the first step and putting that information to use is critical.

as someone once said to me...information does not equal knowledge, applying that information makes it knowledge. i see that its very true...i can read and learn everything in the world....but its just information, unless you put that information to work...thats when it becomes knowledge.

find something you find interesting...even if it just tickles you a little bit.... put your heart into it and all the pieces will fall into place. i used to be where you are...ready to give in and be content in the slowlane...i was able to find some people with the same mindset as me...trying to get into the fastlane...we have taken the necessary steps to this goal and the ideas are now flowing in faster than we can complete our projects. you will find your way if you believe in yourself. :thumbsup:

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

Maximus, what's the first thing that pops into your head when you wake up in the morning? For me when were busy, I absolutely love having a kitchen or bathroom reno to go to. They're truly fun for me. I get even more excited when i'm getting out of bed to do something with one of my own properties.

There are other fun things in my life, but these things definitely get me out of bed with a smile on my face.

That makes sense. Of course, right now the first thing that pops into my head is "Damn, I have to go to school" I know I need to find a passion. This is something I have struggled a great deal with.

I can't tell you how many projects/websites I have started and then they just tapper off since I really didn't want to do them in the first place. Yea, at the beginning I was a little excited, but as time went on I got less and less motivated. I think that has alot to do with the lack of passion.

Over the last month or so I just stopped doing this all together. I was constantly thinking about what am I passion about throughout the whole day and it was starting to tear me down. I was starting to think that if I don't know what I'm passionate about soon I will have to deal with mediocrity or not have a chance to pursue entrepreneurship. So I just took a break without worrying about it to much.

Now, over the past few days I am slowly starting to get back in it. I still don't know what I'm passionate about, but I am trying to let it just hit me and not worry to much about it.

Hopefully I will know soon as it is frustrating when you have the desire to succeed, but you don't know what your vehicle is.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

maximus-

It is scary how closely i relate to what you just said. One of the other issues that I have is that the things I am passionate about, I literally see no way to make into a Fastlane vehicle.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

Yea, I find that I am not so different from other people on these forums, especially the last few days. That makes me feel a little bit better :)

At least your passionate about something. May I ask what that something might be?

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

I don't mind at all. My number one passion is cars. There is NOTHING in this world that gets my heart pumping like cars.

I got a job at an independent repair shop two years before I went to college and then continued to work there to pay for school (I went to school for automotive technology. My degree is a Bachelors of Technology; Automotive Tech). I worked there for a little over 6 years. My first day I was sweeping the floors and cleaning toilets, and by the time I left I was running the place for my boss. I did everything from ordering parts, scheduling work, scheduling photo shoots on cars we built, all the way down to hiring/firing and of course, cleaning the toilets (this never really goes away).

When it was coming time to graduate I saw all my friends getting jobs running service departments at dealerships. Having already worked at a shop for 6 years, I knew that there was no way in hell I wanted to run a service department.

Having a strong technical background I started applying to anything that was evenly remotely related, and decided I would take the job that paid the most. To make a long story even longer, I took a job doing engineering & technical sales for a company thats makes heavy duty transmissions/equipment.

The whole experience has been a double edged sword. On one side I make what most slowlaners would consider to be "great pay". Everyone around me tells me that I'm F@*$!n' nuts for even thinking about leaving. I have benefits, they pay me to travel, my cell phone is paid, etc etc. It is becoming obvious that I can't talk to people outside of this forum about my plans.

The other side is that I like it as much as I like going to the dentist. If the money were equal I would rather work on cars. Call me crazy but I would rather sit there with the torch and remove rusty bolts from a frame rail any day over running calculations that tell me if I should use nodular steel or cast iron for a damn transmission housing.

Working on cars gives me a satisfaction like nothing else. I know that when I am finished with whatever job I did, that it was done to perfection and that it won't be coming back for the same thing anywhere in the near future. I also know that most other people can't do what I just did.

I am saving all of my extra money for that moment that I finally get an idea on how to turn it Fastlane.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

Wow, that's probably my biggest passion as well, haha.

I also understand what you mean about other people thinking that you are crazy. The slowlane is so much set in stone in most people's mind that they really don't step back and say to themselves that there is more for them out there.

It seems that you are more of a hands on kind of person.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Wow, that's probably my biggest passion as well, haha.

I also understand what you mean about other people thinking that you are crazy. The slowlane is so much set in stone in most people's mind that they really don't step back and say to themselves that there is more for them out there.

It seems that you are more of a hands on kind of person.

There are guys who like cars but don't know about them and couldn't fox them themselves if something happened... Why don't you two with Brootal partner up for a blog on cars with Brootal advice on fixing/improving them, maybe choose one car model, or car maker or write about a lot of them. Write about the basics of how engine, transmission works etc..

It's just a suggestion though, maybe you can work it out or do something else inthis niche! ;)

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

I appreciate your efforts to help get us thinking GymJunkie.

I have no idea how I could ever make it fastlane, but I had thought once of taking 3 of my all time favorite things and combine them into one business. Cars, Business, and Travel.

I haven't figured out how to make any money with it yet, but if I could I would quit my job and do like Mixergy does, but focus on cars and business I'd put my two weeks in tomorrow.

For example: its not big deal to some celebrity in a Lambo or R8, but have you ever seen some kid in random young guy in one and thought "damn, what the hell does that guy do?"

I would find these people, travel all around the country and bring their stories out for everyone to read. Obviously it would have to be the people who wanted to let it all out there. It would be like MTV cribs on regular Joe's that made it big in business.

I know it sounds like a lame idea to most, but I think it would be awesome.

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada

I haven't figured out how to make any money with it yet, but if I could I would quit my job and do like Mixergy does, but focus on cars and business I'd put my two weeks in tomorrow.

For example: its not big deal to some celebrity in a Lambo or R8, but have you ever seen some kid in random young guy in one and thought "damn, what the hell does that guy do?"

I would find these people, travel all around the country and bring their stories out for everyone to read. Obviously it would have to be the people who wanted to let it all out there. It would be like MTV cribs on regular Joe's that made it big in business.

MTV Networks Series Pitch Line
2600 Colorado Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90404
310-752-8000

:tiphat:

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

Now thats something that I never thought of. Do you have any experience with doing this?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

I have no idea how I could ever make it fastlane, but I had thought once of taking 3 of my all time favorite things and combine them into one business. Cars, Business, and Travel.

It's a good idea.

Only problem pitching it is that you won't be the host. They'll choose a "face".

One way would be to do a pilot w/a production company. But this costs bucks. You typically want the go ahead from a network before trying something like this.

You could always do it bypassing TV: Shoot it for youtube.

If it went viral, you might get a prime time contract.

And if it didn't, you could still monetize something like this.

-Russ H.

BurnBright

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver, Canada

Now thats something that I never thought of. Do you have any experience with doing this?

No experience doing it but I would watch it. I got that contact from the link below which explains some of the processes.
SoYouWanna pitch a TV show? | SoYouWanna.com

Russ is right that it would be best to do it thought a production company then just calling up and saying I have this idea. The great thing about it is your content would be self generating because many business owners would love national PR. People also love rags to riches stories.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Don't worry too much about making it Fastlane or not. Just start doing something, people get too hung up on the " is it Fastlane or not"...

Xenia

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 23, 2009
Norwood SA

I get like that often.

I find that forcing myself to write down exactly what the problem is and what the solutions could be will shed some light on the confusion.

If you could just achieve, be, do, have just one thing what would it be?

Xenia

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 23, 2009
Norwood SA

Oh by the way, never ever just accept mediocre. That's for everyone else :smxB:

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

I like the youtube idea a lot, Russ. If I could find a friend to shoot it, and found someone at college to edit the video it would keep my costs low.

I am interested in hearing how this idea could be monetized. I have no experience with making money from a video.

My biggest cost would be to travel around and meet these people. The costs associated with the travel would be one of my biggest issues. Obviously I couldn't pay the peopel either, but their benefit would be promotion of whatever they did / are doing to have success.

Thanks for everyones ideas / help!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

I think the key isn't "how can I make money" but "how can I add value". Successful business people time and time again talk about how the value drives the money, not the other way around. Also, a lot of successful people talk about how they would do what they are doing for free, and it's a miracle that anyone actually pays them to do what they do (lesson: have a ton of fun doing it!)
If you make an entertaining video - guess what? You arn't going to make any money, especially if you post it for free on youtube. In fact, you will certainly lose money in the short term. But, you can use the experience and exposure from a successful viral video to market yourself, and through that you can make some money or open some doors. I suspect that it took a lot of "value-added", entertaining, non-monitized projects or pieces before most artists (film, print, written, etc) made any money on their creations.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

Excellent post throttle, thanks for the reply. I relaize that at least at first this would not be a money making project.

What I am brainstorming are ways to add value to the idea so that it could eventually have some worth just like you mentioned.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

You mentioned your passions as cars, business, and travel. I immediately put those words into a sentance that describes a potential business (A review/listing of the best high end rental car companies for business people while on travel). I have no idea if that idea would work or not, but that's one way I brainstorm. The other is to try to figure out what the current status quo for that combination of items is, and try to see if I can add to it. For instance, I know that business travelers often use rental cars - so is there a way to enter that niche by either providing a product or information to that niche, like an iphone app that allows you to rent cars from car rentals at airports you know you are traveling to, or perhaps simply a book that describes and reviews rental car options (there was a story on entrepreneur.com that talked about a lady who made $500k simply writing a book listing and describing all the parking garages in NYC...crazy simple!)

If you have little passion for or experience in filmmaking, than I would leave that out of the equation for now, and try to get some "low-hanging fruit". I would figure out if you have any skills or talents that you currently know you have that could incorporate cars, busineeses, travel, or some combination.

phade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2008
Hawaii

Drop by your local newsstand, read through Heavy Hitters magazine:

The Official HEAVY HITTERS Magazine page. (Heavy Hitters Magazine) | MySpace
Source Interlink Media - Heavy Hitters

Find any flaws in their presentation, and add value. Currently, it doesn't seem as if they have much of a web presence, other than a few scattered youtube clips and a myspace page, so an expanded web/video version would be a great starting point.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009

Brootal, look at how Gary Vaynerchuk made big with his Wine Library TV... he is now incredibly successful.. If you give lots of value, you will lots of money in return eventually, through different ways! ;)

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

This is starting to get frustrating again. It seems I don't have passion or I just don't know what it is yet and therefor it is hindering my plan. I know that you are not suppose to complain about the problems and just make it happen, but I don't know how to make it happen in this case.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia

Ouch- Heavy Hitters is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for turning me onto it however, it is a pretty awesome magazine.

The wine list guy is an interesting story. I am going to have to look more into how he did it. Thanks for the advice GymJunkie.

Whats everyones take on doing something that is damn near exactly what the heavy hitters magazine is doing? Is tweaking it just a little bit going to be enough to create something new?

The editor is John Jarasa from DUB magazine fame. He has a pretty large following and this is his newest project.

There are a couple holes that I see that I don't like and would change if I was to go through with this.

1) Some of the people in the magazine are inheriting large sums of money. There really is nothing wrong with this, but in my opinion there is not as much to learn about how to go from nothing to something from someone who was given a huge head start. My fascination is with people who created real businesses and grew them into a huge success.

2) A lot of the questions are ok, but offer little for those looking for real business advice. It seems like there are a few quick questions about what they did and then a bunch of questions about what they own. I would want more of a core focus like. My take would be more like Mixergy meets MTV Cribs.

3) The writing doesn't offer much in the way of "feeling". What I mean is that there are no questions that bring out the emotions of the person they are interviewing in respect to what they were feeling riding the business roller coaster. Obviously it wasn't all smiles, and I personally like to hear that successful people had some crappy times, but were able to overcome them.

I am also still struggling for ways to add value to this. The benefit to the people I would interview would be publicity for whatever their business / project is.

The benefit to the reader is entertainment / education / motivation.

Is that enough?

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008

Read Gary's book, 'crush it' to find out how he did it.

In my opinion, it's not always about the passion of the product or service your selling (hear me out! lol). See, I have a passion for building something. I want to build processes that work. Fit all the cogs together and watch the machine run. This machine, is my business and the cogs are my employees, automated software etc. etc.

I have a passion for getting to the next step up and then the next step after that (I don't want to look at the 'end result' because I think 'it' doesn't have an end - aka it's about the journey not the destination).

I guess my point is that a lot of great business weren't built on a passionate 'hobby'. But the business owner was passionate about the business. He or she was passionate for improving on profits and serving customers.

I hope I'm making myself clear.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN

Yea, I often wonder how someone could be passionate about some businesses such as a chair business or a light fixture business.

phade

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Feb 4, 2008
Hawaii

Ouch- Heavy Hitters is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for turning me onto it however, it is a pretty awesome magazine.

The wine list guy is an interesting story. I am going to have to look more into how he did it. Thanks for the advice GymJunkie.

Whats everyones take on doing something that is damn near exactly what the heavy hitters magazine is doing? Is tweaking it just a little bit going to be enough to create something new?

The editor is John Jarasa from DUB magazine fame. He has a pretty large following and this is his newest project.

There are a couple holes that I see that I don't like and would change if I was to go through with this.

1) Some of the people in the magazine are inheriting large sums of money. There really is nothing wrong with this, but in my opinion there is not as much to learn about how to go from nothing to something from someone who was given a huge head start. My fascination is with people who created real businesses and grew them into a huge success.

2) A lot of the questions are ok, but offer little for those looking for real business advice. It seems like there are a few quick questions about what they did and then a bunch of questions about what they own. I would want more of a core focus like. My take would be more like Mixergy meets MTV Cribs.

3) The writing doesn't offer much in the way of "feeling". What I mean is that there are no questions that bring out the emotions of the person they are interviewing in respect to what they were feeling riding the business roller coaster. Obviously it wasn't all smiles, and I personally like to hear that successful people had some crappy times, but were able to overcome them.

I am also still struggling for ways to add value to this. The benefit to the people I would interview would be publicity for whatever their business / project is.

The benefit to the reader is entertainment / education / motivation.

Is that enough?

Pretty stiff competition, but also an indicator that a market for this type of product does exist. I think your list is a great start to creating a similar yet unique product, perhaps one without the overhead of being physically in print, which John Jarasa makes mention of in his blog:
» HEAVY HITTERS MAGAZINE IS ALIVE & WELL.

Maybe a bit more research into just how big a market this would serve; if the numbers are big enough the benefit to all parties would be quite large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!