The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I can't get my a$$ up and work.

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
I can only share what works for me.

Start your day planing what you want to do next 30min/one hours/2 hour.

For instance it is 9am. Set yourself to do task “A” from 9-11am. Finish it on time good. Rest 30 min (free and easy). Set the next goal on what to do from 11.30-12.30.

if you didn’t finish task A by 11, have a mini punishment routine where you have to do 20 push up.

Be a nasty accountant who counts every minute of your time.
20 push ups aren't a real punishment for me. Maybe they are now because I couldn't go to the gym for a few months. My problem is when I start with a break longer than 5 minutes I just take a break all day because Social Media sucks me in.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
I was you like 6 months ago.
Move as far away as possible from wherever you currently are.
You are subconsciously content with wherever you are in life so the solution is to change your environment.
That's my plan as well after my a-levels I am going to move to another country and really start my life's work.

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
Auto-reply script to put them all into a motivation thread?

Matress tester?
tell mattress mfg'ers that there are a lot of people who lay around all day, and they would love to have a mattress that won't (backache, footache, penal/vaginal itch, etc... ) or has a builtin feature (lumbar support, foot rub machine, or other) and then review and sell ads on youtube?
Sounds like a good option but I don't even like to be unproductive it's just better at the moment but in the evening I feel like shit and it all continues the next day because I feel even more like a failure it's a vicious circle.

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
Man, did I write this post? It sounds like me.

People say that I'm a hard worker.

TRUST ME, I'm not.

I didn't do any of my homework in school. I got a 2 something GPA and dropped out of community college.

Do you know how many work days I have planned for the next 30 DAYS?

TWO

Why is it hard for you to do your homework? The same reason it was hard for me to do my homework!

Homework is f*cking stupid!

I hate working too. I don't like to have a job with a boss always reminding me how little I'm getting done.

I hate working so much, that I busted my a$$ to start a business just so I could get other people to do the work!

I love my business and it loves me back. I love my business like you love watching videos on your phone. I can't stay away from my business because its what allows me to not have to work.

It's a paradox but it makes sense when you have your own business. A business means you'll be able to leverage your time and buy your way out of hell. To me, the real world is hell. My business is my escape from that hell, and I'm happy to pour everything I've got into my business because of how much I hate hell.

Laziness is not your problem, friend. Being disciplined would only get you better grades for a useless degree. You need to have something better to do.
I love my business as well but everyone I work with is such a piece of shit to work with influencers feel like they are half-gods because they have 50000 followers and customers think because they ordered something for 20$ they can annoy me for 2 weeks. But I have to start shitting on them in my mind but being nice to them while texting.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I love my business as well but everyone I work with is such a piece of shit to work with influencers feel like they are half-gods because they have 50000 followers and customers think because they ordered something for 20$ they can annoy me for 2 weeks. But I have to start shitting on them in my mind but being nice to them while texting.
Yes but..

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
It sounds like you're wasting the time of the day when you should have energy and then trying to do some work later.

You're spending all your time being a consumer.

Kill the caffeine and the middle of the night video viewing so you can get 8 hours of sleep. You won't be as tired. Caffeine during the day will stop you from getting enough good sleep at night so will the stress of not doing enough.

Cancel Netflix and start producing.

Be honest with yourself. You're wasting your life on Netflix and YouTube.
True producing is the key and consumerism is actually not that good. But I just can't wake up even if I sleep e8 hours.

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
Take responsibility for something new. Often, a lot of motivation comes from outside of you.

For me this has been investors, wife, employees, and now a kid on the way. I owe them my best, while, if I was alone in this journey, I would be comfortable retiring to a beach in Costa Rica and spending 30 hours a week fishing and golfing.

Maybe start with a dog?
I would love a dog but I still live with my parents so no for that but just a few months until I move out.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Stop posting. Your time-wasting is now leaking over into the lives of other people, spreading a negative amount of value into the forum for people who have shit to do that they are probably in the middle of doing while you whine.

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
A lot of good responses here. I'll try do add something else:

You have to find the little wins that move you forward. Things that make you feel good about yourself. Little habits that set you on the right path and allow you to achieve those bigger goals like earning money. It's why the Miracle Morning has been so big on this forum over the years.

For me, that looks like waking up and making my bed. Making sure the rest of my room is tidy. Having a low sugar high protein smoothie. Having a cup of tea. Showering. Shaving if you need to. Reading for 10 minutes. Or reading for 5 minutes. Just getting a few pages in, doesn't matter. Hitting some pushups, planks, and squats for 10 minutes, loosen up the body. Take the dog for a quick walk. Make sure my email inbox is empty or the emails go in their appropriate folder. Look at my planner for the day. Look at it for the week. A quick one minute check of my financial accounts to make sure everything is in proper order, remind myself of where I am. Then, it's time to put myself in the moment and realize that today is a new day. Some people do that through meditation, others should just take a few minutes to do nothing, maybe look out the window, sit in front of the fireplace, whatever... just be calm and grateful that you're alive and capable today.

After doing all of that, in 45 minutes or less, it's pretty hard to go back to watching Netflix for 6 hours. You need to find the small wins. They will start to fight Netflix for that easy dopamine, and when the small wins take precedence, it will allow you to start working on the bigger wins.
Seems like a good idea I am going to try that out tomorrow morning. F*ck Netflix

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
Stop posting. Your time-wasting is now leaking over into the lives of other people, spreading a negative amount of value into the forum for people who have shit to do that they are probably in the middle of doing while you whine.
Good point I am going to go to work now thanks to everybody who spent time giving me advice and I am going to reply to my customers now. Have a great day!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Love some of your responses, but I hope the OP isn't so lazy he is unlikely to return and read them.

My knee jerk says you are right, but in some respect, the OP has shown some self-awareness to recognize he's wasting his life away... for me, that's a like an alcoholic finally admiting, "Ok, yes, I have a drinking problem."

I disagree, but I have enough respect for you to back down in this situation.

You hear that @YoungnBroke ? If you don't get your sh1t together then you'll have made all of these people in this thread who believed in you regret it.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Discipline is your problem.

You've lived a life of escapism and now you feel terrible inside you want to escape more.

The thought of work conjures up more inadequacies , presenting more opportunity for escapism presenting more time lost. No pressure is applied to momentum and a cycle of de-pression ensues leaving you hating yourself, struggling and wondering why some people are just able to make it and you cant.

There isn't a quick fix. Motivation is a LIE.

Here's what I do with my business students -

Create an enemy, not someone else but the ideal version of you.
Imagine all of the women, money, status, happiness, independence, freedom, time that person has that you don't.

Now:

1) Make a list of the things he HAS that you don't.
2) Make a list of the things he DOES that you don't.

You want at least 20 items.

And now you have a challenge, once a week you must choose something that he does that you don't.

Simple stuff is fine like..

1) My enemy gets up in the morning and makes the bed so he doesn't have the option to sleep in it.

Sounds like nothing right? But if you don't stay in bed for three hours that's three hours you now need to occupy yourself with something.

Well we know research says that GYM and exercise are great to start with and you Enemy probably has a six pack and define muscles i'm guessing? So you know what's next?

2) My enemy does 50 push ups and 20x20x20 strength training - I MUST DO 6- push ups and 30x30x30 strength training.

You really need to imagine this enemy, out there now partying and enjoying his life doing business and making deals despite lockdown.

Your enemy has money? Well you NEED money, so now you need to look up how to get more than him.

If you do this sincerely you begin making changes which builds momentum which changes the chemical structure in your brain which enables you to have the energy to complete more in one day than most people can in one week.

GOOD LUCK!
Love this!

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Hello fellow fastlaners,

I was off here for a bit of time but I signed up on fastlane again because I am a bit desperate. Since the 2nd quarantine wave began in my country I am constantly struggling.
I really can't start working and when I wake up I just stay in bed for 3 hours and watch videos on my phone after that I make myself breakfast and then I watch Netflix series for 6 hours. After that, I do the bare minimum that I have to do for school and business most times I don't even do that. I'm in a slump and I want my life to change but I just can't everything that I do takes so much energy. Caffeine doesn't help me anymore and taking modafinil every day is also not an option. If anybody has a suggestion for me I would love to hear it.

Have a great day!
1) If you were truly desperate you'd be taking action, which you're not. There's no such thing as "a bit desperate." You're not desperate... yet. Get your a$$ moving before you truly are, because it's gonna be much harder to gain traction when you're truly in dire straits.
2) You need to discover a reason / purpose, but I guarantee that you're not gonna discover it laying around. Action precedes motivation, so get your a$$ up and start moving. Do some burpees or jumping jacks. Your motivation won't change until your physical state changes.
3) If this is a chronic problem, then you may or may not be clinically depressed. See a doctor for a diagnosis. If you are depressed, follow a treatment regimen and if you don't find something that works right away - medicine, therapy, etc. - keep looking until you do. I'm not a physician and this is not medical advice, but I know what I'm talking about.
4) Finally, stop asking busy people for advice from the comfort of your bed. Other people here might inspire you, but NOBODY here is going to motivate you, if you can't motivate yourself.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
20 push ups aren't a real punishment for me. Maybe they are now because I couldn't go to the gym for a few months. My problem is when I start with a break longer than 5 minutes I just take a break all day because Social Media sucks me in.
It is more to remember you did something wrong and there is a consequences. More of a ritual. Donate one dollar to charity also could work.

If you give yourself a social media break of 20 minutes from 8.00pm-8.20pm and if you exceed that something "bad" must happen.

The idea is you don't have to focus on getting motivated, which most people cannot anyway. You focus on setting time specific goals and punishment and comply to them. Basically you are training yourself to obey with a stick.

Just like how large corporations running daily kpi checks and military setting very specific time limits for task. They don't care about getting people "motivated". This idea as as old as human civilization.

You can also increase the magnitude of "punishment" to feel more pain if you feel a stronger dose is needed.

Basically you will be more efficient with time. 50 min meal time vs a "2 hours lunch break which consist of 1.5 hour hour on the phone." If you want to play your phone then finish your meal in 30 min then use the remaining 20 min time budget to quickly run through what you want to view on social media". You will be forced to learn what is important an what is not important to spend time on. Always feel the rush and the clock is ticking.

Time pressure, Regimentation and Punishment. These are proven things that work on everyone and organizations use them everyday.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020
OP, I believe the solution to your problem of laziness and procrastination lies in an inner journey to yourself. There are two parts of yourself that are in conflict with each other -- the 'lazy-worker' you who doesn't wanna do shit and then there's the one who wants to accomplish all of those dreams.

Both of these sides need to want it bad enough. Forcing yourself to do things and 'motivation' may work in the short term but won't last if you need to run a marathon.

My advice to you would be to go do some of the things you can only afford to do after you've succeeded, after you've made the money. Rent out the stuff you wanna experience for a little while, and know for real what you're missing on.
Take a first class flight if that is what really appeals to you, rent out the best log cabin in the woods that money can buy and spend time for a little while there if that is what you really want to do AFTER you have the money. Know and experience what you're missing on.

If you really, truly want those things and get to experience them even once, you won't be able to sleep after they are taken away from you. Your living life will become hell and through those tears you will meet a warrior inside you that has been sleeping all this while. If the things you go experience are superficial though and for the wrong (egoic) reasons, you will be back to square one but you'll know what 'dreams' are actually bullshit and it will become easier to identify what you really want.

D

Deleted78083

First thing: CHANGE YOUR USERNAME.

It's no help to think you are young and broke.

Change it to youngnresourceful instead.

Many people had your problems, many solved it with different solutions.

I empathize with you, but this is no excuse.

The human brain is wired to value what you have more than what you could have. As such, losing 50 euros hurt more than earning 50 euros is pleasurable.

You can use this to hack yourself.

Instead of motivating yourself by looking at what you could have if you started working, look at what you are losing by not working.

You are losing time, brain cells, heartbeats, money, and happy moments doing anything else but what you are doing now because you don't have a fastlane business.

And all of these cannot be bought back.

By lazying around, you are creating regrets. In 40 years, you will think "I wish I had not been so lazy".

It's ok. No need to hate yourself. Acknowledge it. And move on.

I like to think the hardest part of anything is to start. So commit to start and work for 5 minutes. Then take a rest. Then work for 5 minutes again. Then rest.

A technique to resist torture is to think "one more minute and it will be over", which enabled people to last for hours.

So do that. Work 5 more minutes then stop.

Alternatively, you could also imagine a camera crew is following you 24/7 and broadcasting your life to everyone on earth and beyond.

How do you feel about being seen this way?

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
First thing: CHANGE YOUR USERNAME.

It's no help to think you are young and broke.

Change it to youngnresourceful instead.

Many people had your problems, many solved it with different solutions.

I empathize with you, but this is no excuse.

The human brain is wired to value what you have more than what you could have. As such, losing 50 euros hurt more than earning 50 euros is pleasurable.

You can use this to hack yourself.

Instead of motivating yourself by looking at what you could have if you started working, look at what you are losing by not working.

You are losing time, brain cells, heartbeats, money, and happy moments doing anything else but what you are doing now because you don't have a fastlane business.

And all of these cannot be bought back.

By lazying around, you are creating regrets. In 40 years, you will think "I wish I had not been so lazy".

It's ok. No need to hate yourself. Acknowledge it. And move on.

I like to think the hardest part of anything is to start. So commit to start and work for 5 minutes. Then take a rest. Then work for 5 minutes again. Then rest.

A technique to resist torture is to think "one more minute and it will be over", which enabled people to last for hours.

So do that. Work 5 more minutes then stop.

Alternatively, you could also imagine a camera crew is following you 24/7 and broadcasting your life to everyone on earth and beyond.

How do you feel about being seen this way?
alternative username suggestions:
1M$by30 (1 Million $ value by 30)
Iworkbefore5AM (self explantory)
Ibench185
Isell1Mb410 (I sell 1Million before 10)
@Johnny boy suggestions?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
alternative username suggestions:
1M$by30 (1 Million $ value by 30)
Iworkbefore5AM (self explantory)
Ibench185
Isell1Mb410 (I sell 1Million before 10)
@Johnny boy suggestions?
littlekidlover - shows that he is empathetic to children and has strong family values

BBCfan - He's a fan of Buying Big Companies (BBC)

givesgoodhead - He has a good brain and loves to give good advice

Honestly man who gives a rats a$$ it's a username and has nothing to do with your real life. I just thought Johnnyboy was cool since my name is Johnathan and my last initial is a b so it works. I thought of a few more usernames he could use but I'm not trying to get blocked on here.

Steven Pham

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 21, 2021

You've lived a life of escapism and now you feel terrible inside you want to escape more.

The thought of work conjures up more inadequacies , presenting more opportunity for escapism presenting more time lost. No pressure is applied to momentum and a cycle of de-pression ensues leaving you hating yourself, struggling and wondering why some people are just able to make it and you cant.

Imagine all of the women, money, status, happiness, independence, freedom, time that person has that you don't.

Now:

And now you have a challenge, once a week you must choose something that he does that you don't.

1) My enemy gets up in the morning and makes the bed so he doesn't have the option to sleep in it.

Sounds like nothing right? But if you don't stay in bed for three hours that's three hours you now need to occupy yourself with something.

Well we know research says that GYM and exercise are great to start with and you Enemy probably has a six pack and define muscles i'm guessing? So you know what's next?

2) My enemy does 50 push ups and 20x20x20 strength training - I MUST DO 6- push ups and 30x30x30 strength training.

You really need to imagine this enemy, out there now partying and enjoying his life doing business and making deals despite lockdown.

Your enemy has money? Well you NEED money, so now you need to look up how to get more than him.

If you do this sincerely you begin making changes which builds momentum which changes the chemical structure in your brain which enables you to have the energy to complete more in one day than most people can in one week.

GOOD LUCK!
Try this: go on a digital purge for a week. No phone. No computer. No TV.

Just sit with yourself and the discomfort. Sit with the angst, the uncomfortable feelings, the feelings of inadequacy. Whatever makes you want to escape. Try your very best NOT to escape. Just sit with it.

Don't jump to do anything. Especially anything hard. Do not jump to go do the thing you think will make you better. No business books, no forums, no youtube, no udemy, no f*cking nothing. Just sit with yourself and listen.

Make it incredibly EASY for yourself. Simply do some reflection. Keep a pen and paper nearby. Whenever you feel overwhelming emotions, when you can't sit anymore, when you're too uncomfortable, when you MUST get up, simply listen to that sensation, and in your mind imagine that sensation sitting on a leaf, and watch it go down the river. Write down what's going on. Whenever you're out of steam from writing, sit your a$$ back down and keep on reflecting.

The point of this exercise is for you to inch closer to your demons. Nobody can figure it out except for yourself. And the easiest way to do that, is to reduce all stimulation from your mind and body and to listen to yourself. I can promise you you will gain infinitely more than anything you could gain in a week even if you went HAM at it.

Good luck.
First, want to thank the thread starter for inspiring such insightful posts. I'll combine the suggestions from the two posters above. See you all in one week.

BBCfan - He's a fan of Buying Big Companies (BBC)

Honestly man who gives a rats a$$ it's a username and has nothing to do with your real life. I just thought Johnnyboy was cool since my name is Johnathan and my last initial is a b so it works. I thought of a few more usernames he could use but I'm not trying to get blocked on here.
And :rofl: on this. I'll be John Cena, and you can't see me for one week.

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
Damn reading all this (the OP as well as the responses) just made me sad.

Well here we go...

Since the 2nd quarantine wave began in my country I am constantly struggling.
Define "quarantine."

Is it like China where you can't go anywhere? Or are things just super inconvenient like bars, gyms, and other entertainment venues being closed?

If you can go to outdoor places like a park or something, do yourself a favor and go for a walk there every day after you get out of bed.
I really can't start working and when I wake up I just stay in bed for 3 hours and watch videos on my phone after that I make myself breakfast and then I watch Netflix series for 6 hours.
Unless you really need your phone, destroy it. Literally. Like throw it into a body of water without a second thought. That thing is dictating your every move. I mean if you are under quarantine and live with your family then why do you even need a phone at all?

Wanna know how many notifications I get on my phone per day?

Less than 20. That includes Uber Eats related stuff.

I'm guessing you get at least 10x that.

So yeah that needs to change.

Netflix needs to be removed too. You probably watch a lot of pr0n too. So get rid of that as well.

This is nothing that others haven't already said but you need to hear it just the same.
After that, I do the bare minimum that I have to do for school and business most times I don't even do that. I'm in a slump and I want my life to change but I just can't everything that I do takes so much energy.
This is because you have no real purpose, which is what a couple others have said.

It's difficult for young people to create a purpose and it is even more difficult for young people who deal with crappy mental health to create a purpose other than "feel less pain."

That explains all the escaping that you are doing.

Cuz when you binge watch stuff on Netflix, stuff on your phone, and when you fap to pr0n, you're getting a temporary high that removes the pain.

Doesn't do a real good job, there's no substance to it, but it gets addicting because you don't think there is anything else you can do to stop feeling pain.

You gotta find something that you can replace this stuff with that fires up your dopamine receptors just as much. And it ain't posting on this board, I'll tell you that.
Caffeine doesn't help me anymore and taking modafinil every day is also not an option.
Caffeine doesn't help anyone, especially those in your position.

Don't know what modafinil is but that probably doesn't help anyone either.

Drugs are the last thing you need in your life tbh.

What I think you should start doing is do all the stuff you are doing a little bit less.

It's how I got myself to stop posting on 4chan and incel communities (yeah I was one of those lol).

I was to 4chan and incel communities as you were to Netflix.

If I wasn't working or bowling, I would turn on some YouTube (or pr0n), leave it on in the background, and post on 4chan and incel boards for hours. Maybe I would stop and play some video games, maybe.

Same with social media. I would get on that for hours at a time as well.

I can remember days where I would literally get home from work, sleep for like 4 hours, then do this kind of stuff until I had to go into work again. And I would usually come in late so that I could get into one more comment war or watch one last video or something. I can't imagine doing any of that nonsense now.

There are a lot of things that are straight up preventing you from taking any kind of action. You gotta detect which of these is the worst.

I can already tell that you're using quarantine as an excuse. It might be making you anxious which gets you to turn to your escapism.

Soooo you need to do three things:

-Find out what the source of your anxiety is (that's what is getting you to escape into stuff)
-Determine what your most damaging form of escapism is
-Swap out that escapism for something that isn't as damaging.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020

Now:

GOOD LUCK!
Holy cow man, I love this!!

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
I hate to call nearly everyone out here but most of the replies are complete rubbish. The man has a problem and at least got off his lazy butt to attempt to do something about it by looking for help. He's made step 1 so cut him some slack. That's more than most people do!

People note my ambition. But it's definitely not easy! I find it very hard to get up in the morning on my days off. I find it hard to focus on my job and end up having to work longer hours just to finish my work, cutting into MY time. I recently visited FL to get some sun and visit family. That was a huge mistake. I came back to cold, gloomy midwest and lost all my drive. This has been going on since the end of December. What have I done to remedy this?
  1. Do ONE task per day. After my job I'm tired and don't want to do anything. Much of this time isn't even spent relaxing, it's spend PROCRASTINATING, which isn't even fun! How about I just do ONE thing on weekday nights. Just one thing on my business? Like filling out this paperwork. Then, the sooner that's done, I can get my reward
  2. REWARDS - I often don't eat a big dinner when I'm done with work at 6 pm. I have something small and use hunger as my reward for finishing a task. Other rewards are beer and a movie. Or, sometimes I'll start a task and when I get to a certain point (at say 7:30 pm) I'll get coffee and a doughnut. Tastes good and the caffeine helps me power through to 9 pm or so. Anything done on a weekday evening is a bonus IMO, since I already worked an 8 hour shift to pay the bills.
The above are things I always do. But recently, I think I have S.A.D, Seasonal Affective Depression - this is where the winter makes you lazy. This is my first year experiencing it although many friends and family have it every year. I think it's because this is my first winter working from home (during the lockdown). So, I'm fighting through it. It's tough!
  1. Adderall - I haven't taken it in a few years and even then it was only once a week as-needed. It totally helped back then. Well, I got a new prescription recently and I'm going to take it twice a week. I started last week and already I've caught up on my tasks at my job, I've worked on my business, and even got the house cleaner. Doctor recommended a anti-depressant (Wellbutrin XL) that he said would help if I were to take it daily, but I told him no. It's an option for you though.
  2. Full spectrum lighting - I haven't tried this yet because the local Home Depot doesn't carry the bulbs, but apparently this is the color lighting you get from the sun and since there is no sun, our bodies need this. Amazon has some $60 desk lamps that are actually designed for "SAD." They have some regular lightbulbs too: 2 for $20. I think I'll try some.
  3. I took a half day off of work this coming Thu. This COVID lockdown means I haven't been to a restaurant or really talked to anyone except on the computer (I work from home) since November except when I was in FL. It sucks. Thursday my friend and I are going to take a drive to a place that has some "invigorating and uplifting" legal greenery. Healthier than Adderall. We'll also get human interaction, leave at 1 pm and hopefully get some sun, and we can eat fast food sitting in the car. It's not Hooters but better than nothing. I'll get home at 7 pm and go work on my vacant rental.
  4. I took another half day this coming Friday. I'll take a long drive to the countryside and stay in a cabin alone. I'll drink coffee, eat doughnuts, and read. At night I'll get drunk and cook burgers on the grill. It's cold but I'll attempt a bonfire. I'll get home Saturday afternoon and go over and work on the vacant rental property.
This is what I'm doing. And I feel the same as you so I hope some of the techniques that work for me can work for you too! I'm open to hearing more options as well!

10Fold

Custom titles are a dope idea
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellington, New Zealand
I had the exact same problem. Two things really worked for me: exercise and visualization. The exercise gives me the clear head I need to get things done and actually work towards my goal. By negatively visualizing my current bad habit and seeing the outcome of prolonged indulgence of wasting my free time away watching useless videos. Seeing a version of me who never did anything useful or even lived really helped. Also positive visualization. Achieving the goals I have set.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
For starts... I am really impressed @YoungnBroke actually came back to this thread and replied. I figured reading through it that wouldn't be the case as it so often is.

So good on you for at least following around.

I think you have some foundational advice here, it is just a matter of you doing something about it. No one here can help you, but you.

For the responders, those of you that recommend just cutting things off or blocking them.... you need to remember that with any types of addictions, if you remove the "bad" thing... you create a vacuum that will need to be filled ASAP.

Thus... you never remove something without an equal or greater alternative. So if you are addicted to Netflix and watching 6 hours a day, you can stop for a few days on sheer will power but your mind will be in a deficit. You will HAVE to have something to respond to that need if you don't want to fall back in the same cycle.

The more empowering alternative can vary but it is necessary that you know what it is, or even multiple things that you can deploy as tools to stave off the desire of the addiction on demand. This is until you can get far enough away from it and start reconditioning your mind to no longer need what it provides.

Environment is a big issue in the mix here as well, think proximity to the issue. If a drug addict goes back home to a house full of friends and family that need someone to do drugs with, they will likely cave to that pressure.

If a tv addict is still sitting around the house with 3 TV's that flick on and one click away from starting a netflix/hulu/youtube binge... they will likely succumb to "having earned watching 1 or 2" or "just for a few minutes.

Things to think about for all of you whom are suggesting solutions to others, you need to think full scope here.

TheNectarOfCow

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 28, 2021
Hello fellow fastlaners,

I was off here for a bit of time but I signed up on fastlane again because I am a bit desperate. Since the 2nd quarantine wave began in my country I am constantly struggling.
I really can't start working and when I wake up I just stay in bed for 3 hours and watch videos on my phone after that I make myself breakfast and then I watch Netflix series for 6 hours. After that, I do the bare minimum that I have to do for school and business most times I don't even do that. I'm in a slump and I want my life to change but I just can't everything that I do takes so much energy. Caffeine doesn't help me anymore and taking modafinil every day is also not an option. If anybody has a suggestion for me I would love to hear it.

Have a great day!

Don't listen to all the haters. Mental health is not something that people should be met without empathy.

We're going through insanely tough times, and it's very understandable for you to be dealing with these issues.

First things first, go see a doctor. What you're describing sounds very likely to be a medical issue that should be examined by a professional. Make it your focus right now to feel mentally well, because increasing the pressure on yourself isn't going to get you anywhere.

First off, have you ever been tested for ADHD? If not, talk about this with your doctor. What you're describing is exactly how I was before I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed at 25 years old, because I never had hyperactivity issues, I just chalked it up to being lazy. Turns out I have the inattentive type, but my doctor and me solved the issue and I'm doing great now.

Depression and anxiety both also result in what you're describing. Again, make an appointment with your GP today to get to the root of what's causing your problems.

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
Wellbutrin XL
no, No, NO!!!!!

Stay TF away from that. That stuff should be illegal, straight up.

I was on it in the fall of 2011 because I was dealing with pretty bad depression and it made everything worse and I mean everything.

First, I had to double dose because even if I took one I still thought about offing myself constantly. So I was prone to seizures.

Also it completely DESTROYED my sex drive. Like it literally made me impotent. Couldn't get aroused.

It made me numb as well. Stuff that used to at least feel somewhat enjoyable (video games, pr0n, social media, comfort food, YouTube, 4chan, etc) wasn't anymore.

If I wasn't numb then WellbutrinXL made me very irritable. Especially at work. Would fly into rage fits like I was in junior high again. Was hard to think and concentrate. Said very stupid stuff, too. One of my co-workers even threatened to murder me cuz of how much of a tool I was acting.

Conspiracy theorist tradcon lolcows want to say that vaccines make people autistic? No way. Antidepressants do that. In spades. Seriously, I was acting like a combination of Kenny Powers and Sheldon Cooper when I was on WellbutrinXL. Not good. NO ONE wanted me around.

Sorry, but mentions of anti-depressants like WellbutrutinXL trigger me like crazy. Dunno if you are suggesting them to the OP but please do not.

OP needs a dopamine detox for a few hours first and foremost. Needs to literally destroy his phone, that will solve probably 2/3 of all his issues. Since he lives with his folks, this is not only doable but necessary.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
Wellbutrin XL

I was on it in the fall of 2011 because I was dealing with pretty bad depression and it made everything worse and I mean everything.

First, I had to double dose because even if I took one I still thought about offing myself constantly. So I was prone to seizures.

Also it completely DESTROYED my sex drive. Like it literally made me impotent. Couldn't get aroused.

It made me numb as well. Stuff that used to at least feel somewhat enjoyable (video games, pr0n, social media, comfort food, YouTube, 4chan, etc) wasn't anymore.

If I wasn't numb then WellbutrinXL made me very irritable. Especially at work. Would fly into rage fits like I was in junior high again. Was hard to think and concentrate. Said very stupid stuff, too. One of my co-workers even threatened to murder me cuz of how much of a tool I was acting.

Conspiracy theorist tradcon lolcows want to say that vaccines make people autistic? No way. Antidepressants do that. In spades. Seriously, I was acting like a combination of Kenny Powers and Sheldon Cooper when I was on WellbutrinXL. Not good. NO ONE wanted me around.

Sorry, but mentions of anti-depressants like WellbutrutinXL trigger me like crazy. Dunno if you are suggesting them to the OP but please do not.

Wow, this is crazy! I'm so glad I didn't try to take it. If it were as-needed I might have, but I don't want to take drugs daily. As-needed Adderall, yes, but not something that affects me 24/7!

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Hello fellow fastlaners,

Have a great day!

I used to think that I was undisciplined and lazy, and since I was those things, my problem wasn't lack of interest in what I was doing, it was lack of discipline.

I actually had an interest problem, not a discipline problem. The things that I was working on in my life were like doing math homework to me, boring, tedious and uninspiring. Stimulants can help, bit its a band aid and is not a long term strategy.

My daily routine was wake up, procrastinate on what i needed to do in my business, go to my job, come home in the evening and procrastinate even more, then repeat the next day.

After months of this, I had no other choice but to be real with my self, I had to admit to my self that I didn't like what I was doing. I was becoming depressed, lonely, and felt sorry for my self.

It's scary admitting you don't like what you're doing, because then you actually have to think about what you want, and go after it, which requires you to get out of your comfort zone, and that's stressful.

I want you to be real with your self and figure out things that you want to do with your life. When you find something that interests you, you'll all of the sudden NOT be watching videos for hours and hours a day, because you'll be excited to work on your projects.

Don't confuse this with "do what you love" or "follow your passion." Find something that helps people and makes money, and you'll naturally become passionate about it as you learn and grow.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Now:

GOOD LUCK!

I really, really like this. I’m doing my own list on my main whiteboard. Such a nice kick in the a$$..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.