The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I built a 10k/mo laptop business ( looking for likeminded entrepreneurs to connect with )

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

I actually joined TFF 5yrs ago when I first started building my online business. After many failures & losing tens of thousands of dollars, I finally built an online business that works & currently produces $10k/mo in revenue, working from my laptop. I am location independent & can work/live anywhere I choose, though I spend most of my time in Los Angeles & San Francisco as my family is there.

I'm currently looking for more likeminded entrepreneurs to connect with who've built similar online businesses working from your laptop. Not really interested in connecting with noobs, dreamers, or wantrepreneurs at this point ( we've all started there, me included ), but I'm at a stage where I'm looking to grow my business & feel connecting with fellow entrepreneurs who are on the same level ( who've already gone thru the noobie stage ) will create the best win-win relationship for both of us.

So if you've built a real business that allows you to work from your laptop, shoot me an email & lets see if we can help each other grow...I've acquired a TON of knowledge on internet marketing, email marketing, creating landing pages, conversions, manipulating youtube for free traffic ( I've built my entire biz on free yt traffic ), so I believe I have a ton of value & knowledge I can contribute as well.

So hit me up & lets chat more...

Matt-Katt

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NFT

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Mar 14, 2017
Germany
Hello Matt,

first of all welcome to the forum :)

I am sure you will find a lot of online entrepreneurs here, some of them are really really successful.
It is always great to have more advanced entrepreneurs on here who contribute to this amazing forum.

My online business is going to launch very soon so I hope I can learn sth from you and vice versa.

Cheers

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
There are lots of guys on this forum that fit your bill. It's a pretty tight community here and many of my best friends all came from here as well as various business partners.

Most in your situation looking for friends tend to go to meet ups, do private chats, and what links them is typically their work and how to share information/skills. I assume that's what you are looking for as well.

I don't know the youtube industry whatsoever, but maybe you can explain a bit on what you do (without giving away so much that some one here can take over your business/or cause serious threat by copying you).

But congrats on hitting 10k/mo, push it to $100k!!!

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There are lots of guys on this forum that fit your bill. It's a pretty tight community here and many of my best friends all came from here as well as various business partners.

Most in your situation looking for friends tend to go to meet ups, do private chats, and what links them is typically their work and how to share information/skills. I assume that's what you are looking for as well.

I don't know the youtube industry whatsoever, but maybe you can explain a bit on what you do (without giving away so much that some one here can take over your business/or cause serious threat by copying you).

But congrats on hitting 10k/mo, push it to $100k!!!

Thanks a bunch! I've gone to a several meetups & met a few great business owners, though it's also mostly 95% noobs & 5% actual business owners/online entrepreneurs making a full time living from it. One common denominator I've noticed w/the entrepreneurs I've met who've pushed past the noobie stage is simply execution....getting their idea out there as quickly as possible, even if it's not perfect, just to see if they can get any traction. If they can't they dump it & move onto the next, w/no emotional attachment to it whatsoever. With noobs, myself included in the beginning, we get fixated on one 1 idea & obsess over it for months, even years until making it perfect before finally getting it out there, which most never do. And eventually return to their 9-5 jobs. I came close a few times in the beginning stages, but fortunately my business started to gain traction & I didn't need to go back.

Business wise, I have 3 youtube channels that send me free traffic/free subscribers 24/7 in the self development niche. They're not big channels compared to most, I have approx 50k subscribers BUT I've been able to monetize my subscribers via email marketing, product launches & recurring membership sites that produce a healthy & predictable monthly income. Finally just started doing FB & YT ads to accelerate growth & cash flow....$100k/mo would be nice!

G

GuestUser450

Welcome.
Not really interested in connecting with noobs, dreamers, or wantrepreneurs at this poin
Aside from being one yourself, aren't "noobs" responsible for your 10K/month business? I get what you mean, you're here to network and there's plenty of doers here and on the Inside. But there's lots of opportunity to give value and grow your brand as well.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So if you've built a real business that allows you to work from your laptop, shoot me an email & lets see if we can help each other grow...I've acquired a TON of knowledge on internet marketing, email marketing, creating landing pages, conversions, manipulating youtube for free traffic ( I've built my entire biz on free yt traffic ), so I believe I have a ton of value & knowledge I can contribute as well.

Matt,

I would appreciate that you don't use my forum to network people off my platform, at least not as a newbie who has not contributed here. This forum is ALREADY a networking opportunity through its multiple categories and INSIDERS forums. So why are you willing to share a "ton of knowledge" with people privately in your own group (snagged from here) but not here publicly?

The best analogy is I've created a retail store with a lot of foot-traffic and you're standing outside with a sign saying, "Hey, I know you all like my store, but come check out my store!"

I've spent YEARS cultivating this forum and IMO, it is really bad form to waltz in and say, "Hey, I'd like to network with the best of you here, contact me outside of the forum so I can share with you some great insight I don't want to share on the forum."

Do this make sense?

I hope so.

I created this place to share insight and "tons of knowledge" for those who are willing to contribute it, so we can all benefit.

Aside from that, welcome to the forum -- always nice to have another person here making things happen.

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Welcome.

Aside from being one yourself, aren't "noobs" responsible for your 10K/month business? I get what you mean, you're here to network and there's plenty of doers here and on the Inside. But there's lots of opportunity to give value and grow your brand as well.

I have no problem offering value & all the lessons / mistakes I've made along the way as there's no real secret to anything I'm doing outside of execution. As I stated I already meet a ton of noobs at meetups & events, as well as a few gurus light years ahead of my current level...I'm simply looking to connect with more entrepreneurs who are at my stage in there business. Also any noobs who've became customers of my brand have gotten a return on value for their investment. No one is being taken advantage of here...

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Matt,

I would appreciate that you don't use my forum to network people off my platform, at least not as a newbie who has not contributed here. This forum is ALREADY a networking opportunity through its multiple categories and INSIDERS forums. So why are you willing to share a "ton of knowledge" with people privately in your own group (snagged from here) but not here publicly?

The best analogy is I've created a retail store with a lot of foot-traffic and you're standing outside with a sign saying, "Hey, I know you all like my store, but come check out my store!"

I've spent YEARS cultivating this forum and IMO, it is really bad form to waltz in and say, "Hey, I'd like to network with the best of you here, contact me outside of the forum so I can share with you some great insight I don't want to share on the forum."

Do this make sense?

I hope so.

I created this place to share insight and "tons of knowledge" for those who are willing to contribute it, so we can all benefit.

Aside from that, welcome to the forum -- always nice to have another person here making things happen.

Yeah that's definitely not my intention to network off the platform or pull a fast one. As I've said more than a few times, I already meet a ton of noobs at meetups & events, as well as gurus who are light years ahead of my biz knowledge. Simply looking for more entrepreneurs at my current stage in business & understand the same challenges I'm going through.

I have no problem sharing the knowledge & mistakes I've made on my own journey with everyone as I'm not doing anything spectacularly different outside if executing. So not sure where you got the idea I'm trying to use the forum to create my own. Though I am a big fan & you were one of the first entrepreneurs I've learned a ton from. And I do know I'm violating the law of control with my biz...

Cheers, Matt

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Not really interested in connecting with noobs

noobie stage

the noobie stage

With noobs, myself included

a ton of noobs

Also any noobs

I already meet a ton of noobs

Urban Dictionary: Noob

II. Defining 'Noob'
Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.

II. Where to find n00bs
On the internet, n00bs make their colonies on forums. They migrate in waves, usually on weekends, and proceed to clog up bandwidth with stupid questions and sometimes even stupid answers.

Off the internet, noobs appear anywhere the focus is on learning or discussing something specific.

C. AVOIDING NOOBS

I. Make sure you aren't one

I think you're having a hard time on yourself, since the self-development business is the most attractive market for "noobs".

Everywhere you go you'll find "noobs". It's just your task to weed them out without stepping on them.

$100k/mo would be nice!

If you want to grow to $100k/mo you HAVE to BE interested in conecting with more noobs.

So not sure where you got the idea I'm trying to use the forum to create my own.

I don't think MJ wants to say that. What I think he wants to say is, that if you want to meet other entrepreneurs then this forum is your starting point.

Start to contribute here on the forum.

Like others say, they've met some of their best friends (entrepreneur-minded) here on the forum WHILE they were active and contributing to this community. If you ignore that, I think you will lose a lot of value from this forum.

And congratulations on your achievement of making $10K/mo. Good luck with your next step.

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Urban Dictionary: Noob

II. Defining 'Noob'
Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own.

II. Where to find n00bs
On the internet, n00bs make their colonies on forums. They migrate in waves, usually on weekends, and proceed to clog up bandwidth with stupid questions and sometimes even stupid answers.

Off the internet, noobs appear anywhere the focus is on learning or discussing something specific.

C. AVOIDING NOOBS

I. Make sure you aren't one

I think you're having a hard time on yourself, since the self-development business is the most attractive market for "noobs".

Everywhere you go you'll find "noobs". It's just your task to weed them out without stepping on them.

If you want to grow to $100k/mo you HAVE to BE interested in conecting with more noobs.

I don't think MJ wants to say that. What I think he wants to say is, that if you want to meet other entrepreneurs then this forum is your starting point.

Like others say, they've met some of their best friends (entrepreneur-minded) here on the forum WHILE they were active and contributing to this community. If you ignore that, I think you will lose a lot of value from this forum.

And congratulations on your achievement of making $10K/mo. Good luck with your next step.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I think you as well as anyone w/half a brain gets where I'm coming from. Like I said I have no problem contributing & always happy to do so. At our meetup events, our presenter generally sticks me to the front of the table & I do q&a's with everyone just starting out. I've done this, happy to do it & continue to do so at every meeetup with the rare exception a more seasoned entrepreneur shows up, which doesn't happen often enough. And I'm in Los Angeles. The more seasoned entrepreneurs we get are wayyyy above my level & they've specifically instructed me to find more entrepreneurs to engage with at my stage.

So again, for the zillionth time, I'm happy to contribute, but also putting it out there very clearly that if there ARE fellow online entrepreneurs at my current stage, who recently passed the noob/newb ( you get what I mean ) stage & are working remotely from their laptops, then definitely hit me up. Most noobs who are working daytime jobs don't have time, much less freedom to connect or travel as much as entrepreneurs who've already built a business on their laptop & are already travelling/working remotely. I know this firsthand. Furthermore, noobs who ARE hungry, like I was in the beginning stages aren't dismayed by fellow entrepreneurs or potential mentors not rolling out the red carpet for them. I went to meetups & events where more seasoned entrepreneurs weren't looking to mentor anyone & I never let my feelings get hurt, it's business & I understand that. I contributed value to them wherever I could, offered free help wherever I could & in return got a lot of great mentorship when first starting out. So again, I'm happy to pass on the lessons & mistakes I've learned, w/o needing to rollout the red carpet.

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Be careful of who you step on, on your way up.

Not stepping on anyone, don't know where you got that idea. Just trying to make it clear I'm looking for more business owners at my current stage who understand the same challenges being faced at our current level & how to break through those barriers. Basically something noobs just starting out wouldn't yet understand. Never meant for anything in my post to come off harsh or demeaning, if it came out that way it's nothing personal, just business.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
jbna2.jpg

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
This thread reminded me to shoot an email to the local high school counselor. I want to volunteer and do some sort of before/after school entrepreneurship class this year or sponsor a business club, or something.

Lots of noobs to help.

G

GuestUser450

Never meant for anything in my post to come off harsh or demeaning, if it came out that way it's nothing personal, just business.
Understood.

I think the pushback is based on tone; we've seen a lot of people come and go from the forum and if there's one thing that irritates us to no end, it's people unwilling to do the work. The forum is incredibly deep with a mountain of hard-earned information, shared by people with no other motive than to be of service to others out of gratitude. So we're protective of it when we feel like someone wants it cherrypicked for them because they can't be bothered with the search bar, or they preemptively try to qualify people who can contact them.

It's only an intro thread, so no worries. We're happy to have you and hope you stick around.

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
This ship can be righted.

As MarekvBeek says:

This is great advice:
One common denominator I've noticed w/the entrepreneurs I've met who've pushed past the noobie stage is simply execution....getting their idea out there as quickly as possible, even if it's not perfect, just to see if they can get any traction. If they can't they dump it & move onto the next, w/no emotional attachment to it whatsoever. With noobs, myself included in the beginning, we get fixated on one 1 idea & obsess over it for months, even years until making it perfect before finally getting it out there, which most never do.

What else got you to where you are?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Enough people have already called you out on your tone.

But I will add on to the conversation by saying that there are several contributors on this forum who are by your definition "noobs" but have offered better feedback/advice than people who are running successful businesses.

Contribute to the forum, give more than you take, and we all grow together.

If you only want to talk strategy with veterans, find a mastermind.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some tips...

Make no mistake, you are selling yourself to get people to reach out to you.

The people in motion are even more ruthless with their time than the people just getting started. Selling them on connecting with you is even harder than those who aren't in motion.

What will people get out of connecting with you? Re-read your OP and decide whether you answered WiiFM (what's in it for me?) for readers.

It's one thing to say you're good at XYZ, but quite another to demonstrate it. I live by "Show, don't tell".

Do you know the cat and the tuna analogy?

What if you were the type of person that people you want to connect with reached out to instead - without you even asking?

Maybe become known as "The XYZ Guy" in the forum... by helping people with XYZ?

Turn what you're doing on its head and get people to reach out to *you*, without you asking.

Get people to tag *you* when someone asks about YouTube video marketing or growing their self-development business, etc.

This forum is much more than just a place to find a few people to mastermind with.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
You might want to read my intro thread. I didn't ask for anyone to reach out to me, but a few did.

Cool everyone! Thanks for all the feedback. I'm new to the forums, as mentioned previously the last one I actually joined was TFF 5yrs ago when first starting, though got off for some time to test out a bunch of online business ideas, most failed ( online rep managment, seo, social media, etc ), until finally the youtube / internet marketing thing clicked with me the most. It's all about adapting your skillset to the right business...I didn't have the skillset to run the businesses that tanked, but had the skillset for my current business, which free'd me from needing to go back to an office job, though now tapering off a bit, looking for different ways to grow/cash flow, so jumped back on the TFF forum to connect w/more entrepreneurs who are in the same boat, which I've been attempting to connect with. Though basic forum etiquette I guess / rookie forum mistakes that I missed....

Cheers -

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This ship can be righted.

As MarekvBeek says:

This is great advice:

What else got you to where you are?

Thanks man, yeah like I said this is the first & only forum I've ever signed up to...so rookie mistake / basic forum etiquette that I missed. But to answer your question, throwing a ton of stuff on the wall & seeing what would stick, seeing what I had the most skillset to grow & execute on. I don't think there's any real secret other than getting your idea to market as quickly as possible to see if you can get any traction & if you do, tweaking along the way based on your customers requests, needs, problems they're facing, etc. Cheers!

Matt-Katt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 29, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Understood.

I think the pushback is based on tone; we've seen a lot of people come and go from the forum and if there's one thing that irritates us to no end, it's people unwilling to do the work. The forum is incredibly deep with a mountain of hard-earned information, shared by people with no other motive than to be of service to others out of gratitude. So we're protective of it when we feel like someone wants it cherrypicked for them because they can't be bothered with the search bar, or they preemptively try to qualify people who can contact them.

It's only an intro thread, so no worries. We're happy to have you and hope you stick around.

Yeah, definitely makes sense! Cheers -

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Let me see if I understand this right... if I'VE built a business that allows ME to work from my laptop, YOU want ME to email you? lol The F*ck planet are you living on Elon?

Oh wait, perhaps I feel a connection with you based on how we relate together, after reading your explanation of how you were able to accomplish your current level of success... Orrrrr you just have tiger blood, amirite? #winning

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Matt that is awesome. If I were in your shoes I would immediately buy a home in Dallas, and watch that cost of living spiral so far down your head spins.

Since your skill set is something I have looked for in the past could you help me create an online landing page for both deregulated energy choices, AND commercial roofing? The two are basically a dice game, where if you roll bigger dice you can land LARGE roof coating jobs. Considering one commercial roof can make a sales person 5-50k. And a couple hundred energy contracts can make you a monthly residual of 5-40k a month. IT is something I have been trying to do the "old fashioned way" door knocking and cold calling.

The reality is no one purchases things like that anymore. They go online. Every time. I would imagine in both arenas 60% of decision makers simply look online.

Regardless if you help me or not, great job on your laptop business. That must have been quite the trial and error.

Cheers,

James

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Yeah that's definitely not my intention to network off the platform or pull a fast one. As I've said more than a few times, I already meet a ton of noobs at meetups & events, as well as gurus who are light years ahead of my biz knowledge. Simply looking for more entrepreneurs at my current stage in business & understand the same challenges I'm going through.

I have no problem sharing the knowledge & mistakes I've made on my own journey with everyone as I'm not doing anything spectacularly different outside if executing. So not sure where you got the idea I'm trying to use the forum to create my own. Though I am a big fan & you were one of the first entrepreneurs I've learned a ton from. And I do know I'm violating the law of control with my biz...

Cheers, Matt

Hey Matt,

With all due respect there are a ton of people here who execute and hustle everyday that maybe aren't doing 10k a month but maybe aren't total noobs. Not everyone here is looking for a free ride but most people here are willing to help anyone regardless of who they are - I know I am.

Anyhow, I'm not going to get on the bandwagon but it would probably help to be a little nicer as well. You get places when you help people no matter what stage in the game you're at.

I'm super curious now...what brings you here, what do you plan to get out of this forum, and how can you help people regardless of who they are?

Steve

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So again, for the zillionth time, I'm happy to contribute, but also putting it out there very clearly that if there ARE fellow online entrepreneurs at my current stage, who recently passed the noob/newb ( you get what I mean ) stage & are working remotely from their laptops, then definitely hit me up. Most noobs who are working daytime jobs don't have time, much less freedom to connect or travel as much as entrepreneurs who've already built a business on their laptop & are already travelling/working remotely.

Here you go.

Meetup - Have an Online Business and want to live in Paradise? Come join me in Bali

Not only can you "connect" - you can live on the other side of the planet with someone who has already had 2 liquid events.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...