• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

How To Trade Stock Options (Ultimate Beginners Guide)

Discussion in 'Investing/Trading/Cryptocurrency/Altcoins' started by jpmartin, Dec 14, 2015.

1. jpmartin

jpmartin Jedi Master I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $275
  2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,406
    Admin Post
    Another great resource for the absolute beginner is Step Up to Options...

https://www.dough.com/stock-options-explained

I will expand on this at a later date/post (And @IceCreamKid as well) but options are truly the one financial investment that fits a Fastlane modality. At some point on your financial journey, you should learn the right way to trade them. And yes, there is a right way, and a wrong way.

3. jpmartin

Rep Bank:
    $275
    Without an ounce of doubt!!! btw, that article also leads you to dough.com - excellent resource, that has another advantage of getting you approved for options trading with ThinkOrSwim / TD Ameritrade.

4. IceCreamKid

IceCreamKid With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $127,097
    Very excited to be sharing some knowledge and experiences on this topic in the future. I've been dying to share some of this stuff with people who are actually interested.

ZF Lee, JimD, Dwight Schrute and 8 others like this.
  5. jpmartin

Rep Bank:
    $275
    We're all ears!

Captain Jack and Chitown like this.
  6. jpmartin

Rep Bank:
    $275
    MJ, would be really great to read your post on this, particularly how it ties with the CENTS = Control, Entry, Need, Time, Scale framework. (sorry, had to twist that around).

Captain Jack likes this.
  7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $336,406
    Admin Post
    I promise I will be making a huge post on it in the near future. Just gathering some more trench experience and waiting for the year to end.

Also, the post will NOT be outside for public consumption-- it will be made on the INSIDE. I got a good suspicion that @IceCreamKid will be a legendary contributor to it as well. Stay tuned!

Craig Feldmeier, ZF Lee, 100k and 8 others like this.
  8. Daniel A

Daniel A DIESEL Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,744
    I'm seriously looking forward to this! The 3-day Rich Dad event I went to long ago was about stock options and regrettably my interest in that died off, but now it's been reignited! I was just signing up for dough.com, but it said the email was taken. I knew it seemed familiar because I'd already made an account. This is another reason to get INSIDERS once again...

Ditto on my bolded text above. ^

ZF Lee likes this.
  9. AllenCrawley

AllenCrawley Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $72,153
    It's been 15 years since I actively traded stock options. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this as I'm sure it will be a great refresher and I bet I'll learn a ton as well.

10. exclusives88

exclusives88 Silver Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $5,534
    I also look forward to this.

I traded options in 2013 and 2014. I was super risky, trading calls/puts or straddles on earning days where premiums were crazy high due to its volatility. Let's say that I lost a lot of money! I'd like to learn as how I was investing was the WRONG way!

Chitown likes this.
  11. Chitown

Chitown Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $6,236
    jpmartin likes this.
  12. jpmartin

Rep Bank:
    $275
    Chicago is where it all began...!

Captain Jack and Chitown like this.
  13. Chitown

Chitown Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $6,236
    @MJ DeMarco,

Bookmarked! Those videos look tight. Looking forward to what you and @IceCreamKid are cooking up. Thanks, fellas!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2018
  14. Chitown

Rep Bank:
    $6,236
    For about 7 months in 2005 I was a runner and out trade clerk for R.J. O'Brien, one of the founding market makers of the Merc in 1914, I believe. It was called the Butter and Egg Exchange, then. I left one week before that nasty Refco scandal in late '05.

Glad I got the hell out when I did. Doing out trades would have been a frickin' nightmare!

15. Kevind88

Kevind88 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $595
    I've been studying options trading. I've read a few books and Sheldon Natenberg's book is my favourite. I watched videos from tastytrade site, however, I am a little skeptical about their trading strategies and risk management techniques. I am looking for other learning sources, your recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

16. jpmartin

Rep Bank:
    $275
    Try going through the link given...

sharpshooter and Captain Jack like this.
  17. IceCreamKid

IceCreamKid With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $127,097
    I can tell you from experience that reading another book will not give you the feeling of confidence which you seek. It will just lead you down the rabbit hole of analysis paralysis.

For me, the biggest confidence booster has been:
    1. trading in real-time
    2. using the ThinkBack feature in ThinkorSwim to allow me to manually backtest my strategies.

I invite you to test the strategies that you learned from TastyTrade using the ThinkBack feature. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective their strategies are. A consistent 20-40% profit per year is very realistic utilizing their strategies.

Also make sure to test your strategy in a variety of market types. It's important to learn when to use the proper cashflow strategy.
    • Clear trending markets=directional trading(delta trading)
    • Choppy markets=time decay trading(theta trading)
    • Volatile markets=volatility trading(vega trading)
    Historically, the market goes sideways the majority of the time so ideally you will be selling theta and profiting from time decay. Stay away from covered calls. Not enough control in those and when things get ugly, they get UGLY.

Sign up for a free account at https://www.dough.com/#traders and observe their trades in real-time. You'll learn a lot about how to adjust trades to profitability in the event that the market moves against you.

greenr, 100k, Dwight Schrute and 5 others like this.
  18. Kevind88

Kevind88 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $595
    Thanks for the advice. I was paper trading using ThinkorSwim but didn't know about the Thinkback feature. Will definitely test it out.

19. Kevind88

Kevind88 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $595
    Any updates on your options post MJ?:)

20. Captain Jack

Captain Jack Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,251
    There are MANY MANY updates on this. Purchase an Insider subscription for further details.

Seriously. There are multiple very active threads that will tell you everything you need to know to successfully trade options.

Kevind88 and jon.a like this.
  21. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,406
    Admin Post
    Yes, I made an extensive thread on the INSIDE, which I plan to update for awhile. That thread also morphed 3 other threads on the inside. All contain contributions from myself and @IceCreamKid who alluded in several threads that he also trades options.

22. Kevind88

Kevind88 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $595
    Will do, thanks MJ!

jon.a likes this.
  23. Kevind88

Kevind88 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $595
    Thanks MJ, will join Fastlane Insider today:)

jon.a likes this.
  24. jpmartin

Rep Bank:
    $275
    Did I miss this?

IceCreamKid likes this.
  25. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $336,406
    Admin Post
    I tagged you in the INSIDER thread ... it's called "How to Print Money Like the Worlds' Billionaires."

ZF Lee, jon.a, jpmartin and 1 other person like this.