The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Market and Product Launch/Research On Reddit?

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
Yep. It's 100% my fault and I accept that, but come on, these are the same people that got an innocent man thrown in prison during the Boston bombing. It's literally a meme now.

You can't ignore the tribalistic hivemind aspect of most subreddits. I know, I was one of them for 7 years and wasted too much time.

Pretty much. I f*cked up and now I have to deal with it.

At least when someone admits they F*ck on on this forum you guys don't call for castration and public execution.

Does anyone know of a really good guide to market on Reddit?

There's a ton of great people on Reddit. It's unfortunate that all the shitty people migrate there too.
I think you could try to contact someone "serious" in the subreddit like a mod or long time member(recognizable) and give him your product to try for free, the real problem here and why I think it was perceived so badly is migrating them to another website, without having a product yet having a "business" if you get what I mean, like it doesn't look good at all from an outside perspective.
We can kind of understand on this forum but still it feels spammy also since you have so much experience there just run the process backwards, how would you like to be approached(if at all, let's be real) and than decide from there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I think you could try to contact someone "serious" in the subreddit like a mod or long time member(recognizable) and give him your product to try for free, the real problem here and why I think it was perceived so badly is migrating them to another website, without having a product yet having a "business" if you get what I mean, like it doesn't look good at all from an outside perspective.
We can kind of understand on this forum but still it feels spammy also since you have so much experience there just run the process backwards, how would you like to be approached(if at all, let's be real) and than decide from there.
That’s good advice. @Xeon mentioned doing an AMA too.

Like my momma always said: “We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their actions.”

Sometimes I forget this forum isn’t the market LOL

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
You know what? I’m gonna do it.

I’m gonna face the devil in the d*ck and figure out Reddit to launch my product.

Stay tuned for the guide.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Reddit is such a f*cking sh*thole I’m done. Glad I deleted my personal account months ago.

Oh Reddit can be BRUTAL. REALLY BRUTAL. I got flamed big time when I asked for information from an informed source and then had the audacity to tell the ar$eholes who waded in with their snide unwelcome comments that I wasn't interested in their best guesses and conjecture, I was after facts that they couldn't supply as they had no experience of the situation. They could dish it out but got really offended when I gave them some back. :rofl:

I wonder how the owners of the site make money with it because I would never use Reddit Ads for anything.

Oh I think you are missing a trick. But I will hold my tongue until I've proved it works. ;)

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
So...

In some spare time at work today, I did some 'market research' on my idea.

It seems that people were mostly concerned about price.

How much can I trust this? Like how many %?
This forum seems pretty split on 'reddit is for poor peoples' and 'reddit represents the market'.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
'reddit is for poor peoples'
Lol wait.. who said reddit was for poor people? I would say reddit is mostly white, college educated liberals.

Reddit is WEIRD:

I wouldn't call them particularly rich by US standards, but they're certainly not poor.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Yeah people are making money off of it but you have to be part of the community
I think this goes anywhere though. Imagine if someone came on this forum with the sole purpose of selling us stuff. We wouldn't have it either. But at the same token, we have a lot of long-time members who provide value and are actual community members and we're happy to have them provide services.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I used reddit for promotion of a product a few years ago when I was at an old job. We sold items relating to pregnancy and since my job duties were mainly social media & marketing, I was very active on r/ttc for a long time. I actually much preferred reddit over the other pregnancy forums online. Basically I would comment on people's photos and just try to be part of the community the best I could. I was about 21 at the time so not trying to get pregnant but I still tried to bring value to the women as best as I could.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I think you can just rave about a product / service & just not say it's yours.

You know. 'Sharing is caring'.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think you can just rave about a product / service & just not say it's yours.

You know. 'Sharing is caring'.
We spot that as admins. If they’re a long time member then sure. If they’re new then it raises red flags.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
It depends on how you do it.
If you write like a pro copywriter except in the third person, of course you're gonna get hate.
I've seen people blend products recs into comments on replies, and none of them get hate.

SkyLake

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Nov 29, 2016
Reddit is a leftist cesspool. Therefore, since leftists and SJW's hate capitalism, I would assume they won't take too kindly to advertising or paid promotion.

Don't worry, everyone else hates reddit too. Except for SJW's in their parents basement. Ironically on a laptop, in a home, and on a website that all came from capitalism and entrepreneurship, all possible because of a free market economy.

Or maybe your marketing sucks.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Thinking back, some of the more well-received promotions took whatever subreddit along for the journey. Say you want to promote a new SaaS to help e-commerce businesses. You'll get slammed if you post on /r/ecommerce with a link to your product and that's it. DRIVEBY!

Instead, start by asking if people would use your SaaS.

Then in your follow up, link back to the original thread and post whatever you've made so far, whether that be a simple landing page or an MVP.

Repeat until you actually launch.

By showing that you have already had well-received threads, the users are going to be more positive in their responses. Remember, Reddit is a hivemind. If you start getting a negative response off the bat, it's going to snowball from there.

I've done some self-promotion on Reddit in the past. One thing I found that helped if I was doing a driveby type post was to leave a comment on my own post explaining WHY I posted.

For example, say I had an article about Denver architecture I wanted to promote in /r/denver. I would leave a comment mentioning another user that recently posted about buildings or the skyline in the city. Not only did it start the upvotes moving because they liked what I posted, it also stopped the negative pitchfork crowd from running me out of town. Going from +1 to +2 to +3 is harder than going from +1 to 0 to -1.

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
This reddit ad was received very well. Relate to your prospects and give them what they want. It's notably easier for a minecraft product on Reddit to do that, but this shouldn't be too much of a stretch unless your product is garbage. Reddit users are people too, and all people want things.

Jeix

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Oct 1, 2018
Milan, Italy
I know it's a little off topic but I gotta tell you this: last summer I was advertising my app on reddit spending like $5/day.
Then something funny happened: the ad network bugged out and I got almost two million impressions without spending any money. Those converted into 500 downloads for free.
So, I don't know about you but reddit is the best ad platform I've ever used :)

(Yes I agree the community is trash and will bash at you for anything. Paid for ads? They'll hate you for spamming their feed with ads, implying it even works like that. I'd stay away from reddit too unless you are an anime tiddie mobile game)

Zachary Davis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 1, 2020
Columbus OSU Dental School
Yeah the guy said I was leeching off of the site and not willing to pay for ads and that’s why I’m not a “legitimate businessman”.

Tried to kindly explain that Reddit ads are a$$ but it’s like talking to a brick wall.

“You’re a leech whose not willing to pay for ads!”

I am willing to pay, but Reddit ads are ineffective and expensive. So I’m using free options first.

“You think we’re idiots! You can’t start a business with NO MONEY.”

I have a little bit of cash to put into this, which is why I’m not wasting it on Reddit ads.

“.....YOUR A LEECH...IM ALERTING THE AUTHORITIES.......RRRREEEEEEEEE!!!!”

It is what it is. What about penetrating online pintrest, youtube, twitter, insta niches instead of Reddit? Every niche on reddit is probably represented on any of these platforms.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
It is what it is. What about penetrating online pintrest, youtube, twitter, insta niches instead of Reddit? Every niche on reddit is probably represented on any of these platforms.
I could see YouTube. But as I think @ChrisV said, there are subs for every niche imaginable.

I guess Pinterest and twitter might have my audience but I don’t think the outdoors/off-roading community is as active in those platforms as they are on Reddit.

I’ve posted my proof of concept of my product on a DIY subreddit with 60k members and have gotten some good feedback and suggestions. I’ll be leveraging those posts to penetrate other larger subreddits too.

As much as I love shitting on Reddit, it’s probably one of the last pure organic social media platforms left.....provided you can give people what they want.

Keivo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Aug 27, 2020
Estonia
Went to post on r/camping about my upcoming product and how am I welcomed?

Some f*cking militant SJW starts harassing me about spamming, lying, and stealing Instagram pictures (hashtag feed on my site).

Apparently he’s contacted Instagram accounts to “sue” me.

Says to have fun with all of the lawsuits coming my way, yet can’t realize that I don’t even have a product to sell yet.

Literally I posted saying I was “looking for a product last year and couldn’t find it, so I’m building it, here’s my website if you’re interested.”

I was on the fence about changing the business name anyway but looks like might have to.

Reddit is such a f*cking sh*thole I’m done. Glad I deleted my personal account months ago.

Free review giveaways? Reddit can get f*cked.
Although reddit doesn't like promotional posts I have seen some people pull it off in niche categories. I think the key is not to come off as a sales person. Just make a post with the product with a good picture ofcourse and with a caption like "started a hobby and made this (product) :) ". Those who are intrested will send you a DM. I've seen people go nuts over this but when you start linking your business and websites, it instantly turns people away for some reason. Good luck!

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 24, 2019
I also tried to "promote" my idea on Reddit. I was working on my SAAS. It wasn't anywhere near finished but It was working and I figured it was good enough for people to get the idea of what I was trying to do and how it could help them.

I approached them just asking if this would fix one of our problems ( since It's something I would use too ).

60% of responses were pure trolls. I tried to ignore these but it still hurt as they were hating on my baby project.
20% were helpful. Even if there was hate, they were pointing out genuine flaws and issues that I could fix.
20% were interested and wanted me to make it into a real thing.

Overall it really felt like shit and I got triggered as well, but still valuable. I guess looking at it as a numbers game makes it easier to take the value from your post and ignore the rest.

Reddit is shit and Reddit is great. Like always truth is somewhere in the middle. In any case, be ready for a lot of hate on there. Actually be ready for hate in general. As entrepreneurs, hate is one of the things we'll keep on getting no matter what.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.