The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Gabry_ITA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Feb 28, 2019
I didn't know Italy is like that, damn. I'm in Serbia, and it's the same thing, people have no idea what a computer can do for them. Owners hate computers, and would rather work without them, yet they can't because they obviously provide a lot of value. If we could only convince them about the potential benefits... I am in the process of trying to convince my 63 year old uncle that he could simplify and speed things up a lot by using computers instead of paper. If I can sway him, I am confident that I can change the entire country.

Ehehe, unfortunately yes!
In big cities, like Milan, people are open and more digital.
In productive areas like mine, just 30km north Milan, the mentality is really closed. Institutions don't help the process: for example, in my town there isn't optic fiber and people use the very old 6/7 Mb ADSL. I installed a special antenna to have a good 70/80 Mb connection :(.
I can really understand you and it's very hard to change people mind. We can't give up, but sometime it's frustrating!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Milos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jul 11, 2017
Serbia
Ehehe, unfortunately yes!
In big cities, like Milan, people are open and more digital.
In productive areas like mine, just 30km north Milan, the mentality is really closed. Institutions don't help the process: for example, in my town there isn't optic fiber and people use the very old 6/7 Mb ADSL. I installed a special antenna to have a good 70/80 Mb connection :(.
I can really understand you and it's very hard to change people mind. We can't give up, but sometime it's frustrating!
Similar here. Belgrade is like a different country when it comes to this. Internet speeds are fine though even in my small village you can get 300mb. We don't have fiber optics, that's only for big cities right now. Belgrade is also a lot more progressive when it comes to new ideas of course.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Doing a bit of research today (along with 8 hours copywriting) and can across this...

View attachment 13172

Top search on a highly competitive search term BUT the website looks like this...

index

View attachment 13173

Here is a company pumping money into Adwords with a website that looks like a 12 year olds school project.

Maybe @Andy Black can give some insight into what these people might be thinking!!?

These sorts of companies are ripe for starting off with your web design. I might even contact them next week. If someone calls them first then post it up here.

***If you can edit a template then start calling companies like these, use excellent copy guys like @SinisterLex or @Thiago Machado (and many more on here) and start making some money. A new basic site for this person would be $2-4k and should only take one week to put together.

Buy Theme $30
Copywriter @ $100 a page (5 pages) $500
Total time coding - 60 Hours

Price to client - $3500

Profit 2970 / 60 Hours = $49.50 an hour.

The year is 2020 and they are still using that website lol.

Great value in this thread. I am going to read all 45 pages I think. :)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox, would you still recommend the courses in the OP to learn the basics?

Ya - but are great and HTML skills don’t get outdated (well very slowly maybe).

Both are a great place to start.

Gabry_ITA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Feb 28, 2019
Similar here. Belgrade is like a different country when it comes to this. Internet speeds are fine though even in my small village you can get 300mb. We don't have fiber optics, that's only for big cities right now. Belgrade is also a lot more progressive when it comes to new ideas of course.

I'm happy to find someone who can understand me :rofl:

EdLotan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 19, 2020
Pretoria
It has taken me a long time to have time to create this thread and for that I apologize. I have been getting PMs for months and while I helped a lot of you out with detailed responses I wanted to start a thread so everyone would have access to the same information.

*** This isn't exact Fastlane, at least not in the beginning, but its a great way to earn 5 figures a month, learn the skills to create and run your own FL business while building a network of top business people***

Back at the beginning of the year I packed up everything I owned in Canada and moved to South America. I was keen to make enough income to stay down there while also building my own Fastlane business. Problem was I had no online skills, no idea what to do and have never ran a successful business before.

I just launched my business last week and I am still down here living happily so I guess I could say things have gone very well. Hopefully this information helps others achieve similar success and allows them to start pursuing their dreams.

So first things first:

- I started with zero coding knowledge in January of this year. I didn't know how to host a website, I didn't know what HTML or CSS was, I made a tonne of really basic mistakes and figured it all out by myself. I didn't take any expensive courses, had no mentors and probably only spent a few hundred dollars getting set up.

It took me a while to refine my niche but what I now focus on is building simple yet powerful websites that get huge results. No crazy interactive code, no fancy graphics, just simple, clean, professional websites that add huge value to the clients who hire me.

In the last few months I have
- built a website that landed a $1 million pus contract for the guys who hired me (they hadn't worked in over 8 months - oil company)
- built a website that helped get a pro athlete into a world tournament and increased pay from his sponsors (social media profile increase)
- Built a website that has a lawyer making over 1k a week on consultations

While I made good money on these websites its nice to know that the value I added is many times more and all my clients have been very satisfied.

I am still in the early stages of figuring this all out though so as this thread goes along I will still update with what I am learning and what has changed. Right now my problem is scaling, I need more top sales people on the ground selling websites for me. I will come back to this in another post maybe.

So how to begin:

So todays lesson is on how to get started at the very start. You know nothing and you want to get in on this action too. Some quick notes - I build "custom" HTML websites 99% of the time, I don't use wordpress except in some rare cases for add on blog/news sections to my sites. Why? Most of my clients are very busy, non tech people. They don't want or have time to update their websites. They want it built well and they want it to run itself. HTML is a lot better for this and when done right looks way more professional.

How to begin with HTML:

Take the HTML and CSS lessons on Learn to Code - for Free | Codecademy.

You can also do the JS section but I didn't and have been just fine.

Next take the following UDEMY course:

Build Responsive Websites with HTML5 and CSS3

After this you will now know how to edit and work with HTML themes. What does that mean?

Well there is no point creating a website from scratch. That takes years of coding experience and a lot of time for each new clients. Luckily enough people have gone and created HTML themes - its an already coded website where you just rearrange, switch out the pictures and text and add in a few extra bits (I will show how to do all of this at a later stage).

An example of a theme is here...

Foundry Multipurpose HTML + Variant Page Builder

It just a blank slate with a certain style that you work with. While this may seem like strange or cheating (I thought this was how to learn to build websites!??) its not. Anyone with an internet can create a website these days so that is not where we will be adding value. We add value by building a website with a purpose. We want to build websites that get results and make money, or whatever they are trying to achieve, for the owner.

So how do you build a website that gets great results?

Good question.

As @Andy Black would say you want sales not a website. I am going to meet him half way with you want to build a website that gets sales. Not a website that looks amazing, has cool videos and sections, talks about the companies recent gold tournament or how they really wanted to do X since they were 5. Now it might do one or all of these things but only IF it helps gets sales.

Every page, link, click and action on the website is to help facilitate the growth of the company and sales.

Lets take for example an immigration lawyer website...

Is the goal of the site to teach you about immigration law?
Is it to show you stats of work, trade and education within the country?
Is it to teach you about what to do when you first arrive, what to pack, what to expect?

No.

The whole purpose of that website is for the user to either book a consultation or contact them regarding their services. Which both lead to that person hiring them as their immigration lawyer.

Now it might use some of the above to help with that goal but it only has one main purpose. Everything we do for that client must help with that goal or if it doesn't help... be removed.

You are going to learn to take the value of threads of here regarding copywriting, sales and the Fastlane Mindset and apply it other peoples businesses to help them achieve massive results. This just happens to take the form of a website. You are really selling sales and results.

Once you sell results there is no limit to what you can charge and achieve.

If you have read all this and want to start follow the above links, compete them fully and then follow along with the next stages. There will be a lot to cover but I will outline everything you need to know to be making over $10,000 a month with 6 months*.

*Assumes actual work ethic, being able to do some learning by yourself and filling in the gaps. I will give advice but I won't be holding any ones hand step-by-step.

Next lesson... Client selection.
Thank you for this post. Last week i posted about wanting to build a website for a small start up which i believe with an innovative website it has the potential to grow exponentially. I got a few advises from members of this forum and i have little knowledge with HTML which i learnt way back at university and never really used it since, but still i have been struggling to get the right approach. I hope with your information and support i can get this done as quickly as possible. Do you have any other source of materials where i do not have to sigh up for another course?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thank you for this post. Last week i posted about wanting to build a website for a small start up which i believe with an innovative website it has the potential to grow exponentially. I got a few advises from members of this forum and i have little knowledge with HTML which i learnt way back at university and never really used it since, but still i have been struggling to get the right approach. I hope with your information and support i can get this done as quickly as possible. Do you have any other source of materials where i do not have to sigh up for another course?

Hey didn't see your post - tag me in if I wasn't already (or link it here).

As for ways to help:
- tag me in stuff here
- check out the different Gold threads from me and others on web design
- If you want you can check out the Fox Web School YT channel and ask me questions on here

On top of that just post up specific problems and people can jump in and help.

Hope that helps.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Hey @Fox , great value here. One question:

I have a lead, it is a company that sells wooden panels for construction purposes.

Ideal customer like you recommended, no fancy animation, no huge backend. I just need to edit a Wordpress theme. The customer just needs new photos, which is arrangeable.

Now I need to close the guy. I am planning to visit their facility this Friday (one hour train ride from my place, to make a personal connection) but I want to ask the right questions. It would be like an unbinding proposal meeting & getting to know them.

What would you want to know, if you were in my place?

I would ask the following:

- What is the purpose of the website? Do you want to get new customers or do you just need a title card?
- What is the structure of your company?
- Does he need to change the website structure? (The company already has a website, but needs a better one for some reason)
- Why does he need new photos and what kind of photos?
- Where is the current domain & hosting, do they need another one?

I found some great Wordpress themes for the company. I would also draw the Wordpress site as a mockup and present the guy.

Sorry, a bit long but I guess some other people can benefit from this as well.

Thanks for the contribution in general. :)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox , great value here. One question:

I have a lead, it is a company that sells wooden panels for construction purposes.

Ideal customer like you recommended, no fancy animation, no huge backend. I just need to edit a Wordpress theme. The customer just needs new photos, which is arrangeable.

Now I need to close the guy. I am planning to visit their facility this Friday (one hour train ride from my place, to make a personal connection) but I want to ask the right questions. It would be like an unbinding proposal meeting & getting to know them.

What would you want to know, if you were in my place?

I would ask the following:

- What is the purpose of the website? Do you want to get new customers or do you just need a title card?
- What is the structure of your company?
- Does he need to change the website structure? (The company already has a website, but needs a better one for some reason)
- Why does he need new photos and what kind of photos?
- Where is the current domain & hosting, do they need another one?

I found some great Wordpress themes for the company. I would also draw the Wordpress site as a mockup and present the guy.

Sorry, a bit long but I guess some other people can benefit from this as well.

Thanks for the contribution in general. :)

This sounds great - good work.

To know how to best sell the website start big with the questions and then work into the details.

Before the website itself is the overall business so start there.

- who do they sell to?
- why do those people buy?
- what are the business goals?
- what are the challenges to get them there?

Then after you got that overall context get more into the specific problems the website can help with.

The questions you have above our solid and I will link to two videos that can help too.

Just ask me questions here on the videos if you got any to keep it on the forum - thanks.

EdLotan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 19, 2020
Pretoria
Hey didn't see your post - tag me in if I wasn't already (or link it here).

As for ways to help:
- tag me in stuff here
- check out the different Gold threads from me and others on web design
- If you want you can check out the Fox Web School YT channel and ask me questions on here

On top of that just post up specific problems and people can jump in and help.

Hope that helps.
Than you.
For now am focusing on studying HTML more deeply then css. However i would like to know, how do you begin on a new website? Do you structure it as you work or you first draw an architectural plan ahead and then follow through?
The web app that am trying to build is not just any web page, it will need need to be flexible enough, interactive enough because the would be user will need to subscribe to use it, open account and transact on it.
Am grateful for your tips and hep sir

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
This sounds great - good work.

To know how to best sell the website start big with the questions and then work into the details.

Before the website itself is the overall business so start there.

- who do they sell to?
- why do those people buy?
- what are the business goals?
- what are the challenges to get them there?

Then after you got that overall context get more into the specific problems the website can help with.

The questions you have above our solid and I will link to two videos that can help too.

Just ask me questions here on the videos if you got any to keep it on the forum - thanks.

Amazing videos. Thanks, I have made a lot of stuff clear, especially during the first video.

I have visited the guy and asked the questions. I have also given 100% satisfaction guarantee (money back). They make wooden panels for construction and want me to make a modern website for their company. They do not have complex wishes, they only want very good photos and very well-written text.

I guess I will get a good copywriter and a good photographer. (which will also give me a moneyback guarantee, for an increased price)

Update 24.07.: I have built the demo website tischlereidemo.webdesign-hos.de and the guy was really pleased. Next week, they will probably give me an order. :)

Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited:

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I've read through many pages of this subject.
I like the approach that the OP takes - learned programming/etc, and was able to leapfrog his career in website building.

I know this has been asked before, but now, it's 2020. Several years since the original post started... Using WordPress + Elementor + free themes, you can build a very intricate website and pretty much do anything/customize anything on the website.. and that's a 'free' service.. of course u can buy upgrades, etc and move to pro. Which is great if you want that level of control and want to edit all the details.

this is outside of the scope of most people, despite how easy it is... I mean yeah, with Go-Daddy, WIX, etc, you can use their website builder, but u still need to spend time... The question does that business owner value their time to spend 20-40 hours building their website?
I like that the OP has targeted construction niches, bceause it's true alot of these blue-collar types don't have the wherewithal to do the online thing. So if u can build rapport with them and build their website, they will pay... but these guys don't care that u know HTML/CSS. these guys just want the easiest path to success through u...

so with that, im just curious though why someone with the right business accumen, couldn't land a $5k job, just using wordpress+themes that already exist? Of course, u cant just wake up and do this, u need to build yourself a portfolio, and the stuff needs to look decent so u can sell yourself..

It just doesn't seem like you're building a complex database/etc for many of these companies that would require some serious programming knowledge/setups etc. I would even say that knowing HTML/CSS is over-kill for these entry level websites. With wordpress+elementor, the responsive design style/etc, you can get a website looking super PRO on a phone in literally a few hours.

So If youre quite literally building a website with 6 pages
-Home
-Store
-About
-Contact
-Blog
or some other stuff... and your selling this service, why not be able to sell yourself at $2k-$5k level with just Wordpress?

im just trying to think about what additional value knowing the programming - vs. just using the programs out there - where is the advantage?

And if a company really has a high demand and is willing to spend $20k-$50k on a website.. why not just do it in house? A $50k website budget, means this company can easily higher a $50k worker to build the website and provide some additional online presence/social media/etc..

to me, it seems you're really hunting for the $2k - $5k -$10k spend.. the average small business with about a $500k- $1million - $10 million in revenue per year that needs to get online/improve their visibility.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I've read through many pages of this subject.
I like the approach that the OP takes - learned programming/etc, and was able to leapfrog his career in website building.

I know this has been asked before, but now, it's 2020. Several years since the original post started... Using WordPress + Elementor + free themes, you can build a very intricate website and pretty much do anything/customize anything on the website.. and that's a 'free' service.. of course u can buy upgrades, etc and move to pro. Which is great if you want that level of control and want to edit all the details.

this is outside of the scope of most people, despite how easy it is... I mean yeah, with Go-Daddy, WIX, etc, you can use their website builder, but u still need to spend time... The question does that business owner value their time to spend 20-40 hours building their website?
I like that the OP has targeted construction niches, bceause it's true alot of these blue-collar types don't have the wherewithal to do the online thing. So if u can build rapport with them and build their website, they will pay... but these guys don't care that u know HTML/CSS. these guys just want the easiest path to success through u...

so with that, im just curious though why someone with the right business accumen, couldn't land a $5k job, just using wordpress+themes that already exist? Of course, u cant just wake up and do this, u need to build yourself a portfolio, and the stuff needs to look decent so u can sell yourself..

It just doesn't seem like you're building a complex database/etc for many of these companies that would require some serious programming knowledge/setups etc. I would even say that knowing HTML/CSS is over-kill for these entry level websites. With wordpress+elementor, the responsive design style/etc, you can get a website looking super PRO on a phone in literally a few hours.

So If youre quite literally building a website with 6 pages
-Home
-Store
-About
-Contact
-Blog
or some other stuff... and your selling this service, why not be able to sell yourself at $2k-$5k level with just Wordpress?

im just trying to think about what additional value knowing the programming - vs. just using the programs out there - where is the advantage?

And if a company really has a high demand and is willing to spend $20k-$50k on a website.. why not just do it in house? A $50k website budget, means this company can easily higher a $50k worker to build the website and provide some additional online presence/social media/etc..

to me, it seems you're really hunting for the $2k - $5k -$10k spend.. the average small business with about a $500k- $1million - $10 million in revenue per year that needs to get online/improve their visibility.

Ya, you are on the right track.

It is kinda like selling copy - Microsoft word/google docs is free to use.
The value isn't in the software but what was set up to do.

nelnhf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 19, 2019
Ya, you are on the right track.

It is kinda like selling copy - Microsoft word/google docs is free to use.
The value isn't in the software but what was set up to do.
Love this analogy.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
What do you guys think about Codeacademy pro? Worth the investment?

At the time I did it yes. You can cancel quite fast and it was great practice.

(use chrome inspect tool to see the answers when you get stuck)

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia
Is it ok to start a web design business with just knowing how to build website on Wordpress and Clickfunnels? I can understand a little HTML and CSS but I can't really build a website with just HTML and CSS. Thanks for the answer in advance.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Is it ok to start a web design business with just knowing how to build website on Wordpress and Clickfunnels? I can understand a little HTML and CSS but I can't really build a website with just HTML and CSS. Thanks for the answer in advance.

You can make a website quite easily with just basic html and css skills...

But use whatever method works best for you/the project goals.

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia
Search "lawyer near me" and few Google Ads came up. Found 2 sponsored websites with landing pages that can be improved. Gonna redesign their landing page on my own domain and reach out to them once it's finished.

*Sidenote: They don't seem to be well established law firms, I think they are quite new. Do you think it's worth it to redesign for then? Or should I go find a bigger and more established law firm.

Max Yeap

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 24, 2017
Malaysia
Search "lawyer near me" and few Google Ads came up. Found 2 sponsored websites with landing pages that can be improved. Gonna redesign their landing page on my own domain and reach out to them once it's finished.

*Sidenote: They don't seem to be well established law firms, I think they are quite new. Do you think it's worth it to redesign for then? Or should I go find a bigger and more established law firm.
These are the things I think I may be able to add value to them btw:

1. Pua Jing Man (puajingman.com)
- Running Google Ads
- No Google My Business
- No Facebook page
- No social proof (failed to build trust)
- No clear CTA (Messy structure)
- What do you do?
- Why should people hire you?

2. Ras & Co (ras.legal)
- No social proof (failed to build trust)
- No clear CTA (Messy structure)
- What do you do?
- Why should people hire you?
- Footer not professional

Fruitcake

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Mar 26, 2018
Belgium, Europe
Yes that's possible, but remember the CENTS-framework.

Anyone can make a website by installing Wordpress and buying a $50 theme.
This breaks the command of Entry.

If anyone can do it, anyone will.
You will meet a lot of competition on your way, so think about how you are going to stand out of the crowd.

What can you offer that your competition can't or won't?
How can you skew value?
Can you improve your skills?

HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript skills are essential and many of your competitors will have at least basic knowledge of these languages.

The big question: How do you set yourself apart?

Good luck!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Yes that's possible, but remember the CENTS-framework.

Anyone can make a website by installing Wordpress and buying a $50 theme.
This breaks the command of Entry.

If anyone can do it, anyone will.
You will meet a lot of competition on your way, so think about how you are going to stand out of the crowd.

What can you offer that your competition can't or won't?
How can you skew value?
Can you improve your skills?

HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript skills are essential and many of your competitors will have at least basic knowledge of these languages.

The big question: How do you set yourself apart?

Good luck!

Correct but I would say it like this...

Imagine copywriting > do you want to get paid off of what you write or the program you used to write it?

The skill in web design is in what it does.

Make your life easier by building the website itself in the easiest way possible (while still doing its job).
There are so many ways to build a great website fast - no point in doing things custom unless its really needed.

Add value but focusing on the business side of things and getting massive results there.

Your "entry" will be your past results + your ability to identify ways to add value with potential clients.

Jezz09

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 9, 2021
It has taken me a long time to have time to create this thread and for that I apologize. I have been getting PMs for months and while I helped a lot of you out with detailed responses I wanted to start a thread so everyone would have access to the same information.

*** This isn't exact Fastlane, at least not in the beginning, but its a great way to earn 5 figures a month, learn the skills to create and run your own FL business while building a network of top business people***

Back at the beginning of the year I packed up everything I owned in Canada and moved to South America. I was keen to make enough income to stay down there while also building my own Fastlane business. Problem was I had no online skills, no idea what to do and have never ran a successful business before.

I just launched my business last week and I am still down here living happily so I guess I could say things have gone very well. Hopefully this information helps others achieve similar success and allows them to start pursuing their dreams.

So first things first:

- I started with zero coding knowledge in January of this year. I didn't know how to host a website, I didn't know what HTML or CSS was, I made a tonne of really basic mistakes and figured it all out by myself. I didn't take any expensive courses, had no mentors and probably only spent a few hundred dollars getting set up.

It took me a while to refine my niche but what I now focus on is building simple yet powerful websites that get huge results. No crazy interactive code, no fancy graphics, just simple, clean, professional websites that add huge value to the clients who hire me.

In the last few months I have
- built a website that landed a $1 million pus contract for the guys who hired me (they hadn't worked in over 8 months - oil company)
- built a website that helped get a pro athlete into a world tournament and increased pay from his sponsors (social media profile increase)
- Built a website that has a lawyer making over 1k a week on consultations

While I made good money on these websites its nice to know that the value I added is many times more and all my clients have been very satisfied.

I am still in the early stages of figuring this all out though so as this thread goes along I will still update with what I am learning and what has changed. Right now my problem is scaling, I need more top sales people on the ground selling websites for me. I will come back to this in another post maybe.

So how to begin:

So todays lesson is on how to get started at the very start. You know nothing and you want to get in on this action too. Some quick notes - I build "custom" HTML websites 99% of the time, I don't use wordpress except in some rare cases for add on blog/news sections to my sites. Why? Most of my clients are very busy, non tech people. They don't want or have time to update their websites. They want it built well and they want it to run itself. HTML is a lot better for this and when done right looks way more professional.

How to begin with HTML:

Take the HTML and CSS lessons on Learn to Code - for Free | Codecademy.

You can also do the JS section but I didn't and have been just fine.

Next take the following UDEMY course:

Build Responsive Websites with HTML5 and CSS3

After this you will now know how to edit and work with HTML themes. What does that mean?

Well there is no point creating a website from scratch. That takes years of coding experience and a lot of time for each new clients. Luckily enough people have gone and created HTML themes - its an already coded website where you just rearrange, switch out the pictures and text and add in a few extra bits (I will show how to do all of this at a later stage).

An example of a theme is here...

Foundry Multipurpose HTML + Variant Page Builder

It just a blank slate with a certain style that you work with. While this may seem like strange or cheating (I thought this was how to learn to build websites!??) its not. Anyone with an internet can create a website these days so that is not where we will be adding value. We add value by building a website with a purpose. We want to build websites that get results and make money, or whatever they are trying to achieve, for the owner.

So how do you build a website that gets great results?

Good question.

As @Andy Black would say you want sales not a website. I am going to meet him half way with you want to build a website that gets sales. Not a website that looks amazing, has cool videos and sections, talks about the companies recent gold tournament or how they really wanted to do X since they were 5. Now it might do one or all of these things but only IF it helps gets sales.

Every page, link, click and action on the website is to help facilitate the growth of the company and sales.

Lets take for example an immigration lawyer website...

Is the goal of the site to teach you about immigration law?
Is it to show you stats of work, trade and education within the country?
Is it to teach you about what to do when you first arrive, what to pack, what to expect?

No.

The whole purpose of that website is for the user to either book a consultation or contact them regarding their services. Which both lead to that person hiring them as their immigration lawyer.

Now it might use some of the above to help with that goal but it only has one main purpose. Everything we do for that client must help with that goal or if it doesn't help... be removed.

You are going to learn to take the value of threads of here regarding copywriting, sales and the Fastlane Mindset and apply it other peoples businesses to help them achieve massive results. This just happens to take the form of a website. You are really selling sales and results.

Once you sell results there is no limit to what you can charge and achieve.

If you have read all this and want to start follow the above links, compete them fully and then follow along with the next stages. There will be a lot to cover but I will outline everything you need to know to be making over $10,000 a month with 6 months*.

*Assumes actual work ethic, being able to do some learning by yourself and filling in the gaps. I will give advice but I won't be holding anyones hand step-by-step.

Next lesson... Client selection.
Fox you legend. I instantly believe that I can do this!!

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
Great post @Fox but i was wondering. You said we should look for bad looking website to redesign but companies want to improve their business and won't have time to think about redesigning their website.
So how would i cold email a company to redesign their website and solve their problems.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.