The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"How to get rich"by Felix Dennis

For any book discussion

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
The secound book in MJ's list of books to read is "How to get rich" by Felix Dennis. After reading this book I have to conclude that I would never care to meet Felix Dennis in person. This book has had an impact on me otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread. Here are my thoughts.

It is a well written book, filled with Felix's own wit and sarcasm. There is a lot of wisdom to be gained, from it. Felix isn't a get rich quick guru, nor is his book another false roadmap to wealth.

If you are over the age of 40, or have children, portions of his writing in his book may offend you. Felix still has the old boy's thought patterns, that are still rooted in the old Victorian Empire mind set that many older British baby boomers hold dear. Some of these thoughts of Felix's are that only the young can create wealth. Felix even discourages older readers from even attempting to get rich. It almost put me off reading the rest of his book if it wasn't for the fact that I'm far too familiar with his old boy's mind set. We all know that many people with more time and experience under their belts have also made fortunes at a time in their lives where most of their peers stop being productive and wither into early retirement. Felix also indicates that parents use the phrase "I have responsibilites" as an excuse not to venture out. Again more old boy's thinking. How many parents with young children managed to take their families from the side walk to the fast lane while remaining hands on parents? Quite a few I'm sure.

If you can over look Felix's own biases, his book is a good read filled with much value. There is a lot to take away. So please if you've read this book share your "take aways" in this thread, and your thoughts on this book.

I feel that Richard Branson is a far better example of contemporary British entrepreneurs, than Felix Dennis.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tony|Outwork Co.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jan 2, 2016
California
The secound book in MJ's list of books to read is "How to get rich" by Felix Dennis. After reading this book I have to conclude that I would never care to meet Felix Dennis in person. This book has had an impact on me otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread. Here are my thoughts.

It is a well written book, filled with Felix's own wit and sarcasm. There is a lot of wisdom to be gained, from it. Felix isn't a get rich quick guru, nor is his book another false roadmap to wealth.

If you are over the age of 40, or have children, portions of his writing in his book may offend you. Felix still has the old boy's thought patterns, that are still rooted in the old Victorian Empire mind set that many older British baby boomers hold dear. Some of these thoughts of Felix's are that only the young can create wealth. Felix even discourages older readers from even attempting to get rich. It almost put me off reading the rest of his book if it wasn't for the fact that I'm far too familiar with his old boy's mind set. We all know that many people with more time and experience under their belts have also made fortunes at a time in their lives where most of their peers stop being productive and wither into early retirement. Felix also indicates that parents use the phrase "I have responsibilites" as an excuse not to venture out. Again more old boy's thinking. How many parents with young children managed to take their families from the side walk to the fast lane while remaining hands on parents? Quite a few I'm sure.

If you can over look Felix's own biases, his book is a good read filled with much value. There is a lot to take away. So please if you've read this book share your "take aways" in this thread, and your thoughts on this book.

I feel that Richard Branson is a far better example of contemporary British entrepreneurs, than Felix Dennis.
Is it still worth reading? I haven't bought this one yet and I have a very lofty list. Any good reasons to get it?

DST

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Nov 19, 2013
Norway
Its been a while since I read it but I love the part where he says that what differentiates him from his smart employees is just their own fear.

Also he died from throat cancer four years after the book was published. He probably struggled with bad health while writing the book, hence his negative outlook on aging. He specifically said he is not happy, and that he would trade his money for youth in a heartbeat

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is it still worth reading? I haven't bought this one yet and I have a very lofty list. Any good reasons to get it?

I believe he unapologetically states right at the onset that these are his opinions and "take em or leave em", basically.

Personally I enjoyed the book and his candor. He wasn't blowing "you can do it" hot air up anyone's asses in the way he wrote which was a refreshing change. Personally I thought his insight was really interesting and it's one of the better books I've read on the subject of entrepreneurship. There's a reason a ton of people think it's up there with Millionaire Fastlane - it's a great read with solid advice.

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario

Yes it is. There is a reason why MJ put it on his list of books. There is a lot value for us, and much to take away.

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
I need a "How to Stay Rich and Get Richer" book.

Oddly enough his lasts chapters are about just that, how to stay rich. I'm sure he could write a book if not a few books on that topic, his chapter on how to stay rich is right to the point and short without any fluff, kind how the rest of his book could have been written.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I'm sure he could write a book if not a few books on that topic, his chapter on how to stay rich is right to the point and short without any fluff, kind how the rest of his book could have been written.

For shortness and lack of fluffyness I'd get his book "88 - The Narrow Road".
It's basically a TL;DR version of "How to get rich".

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Also he died from throat cancer four years after the book was published. He probably struggled with bad health while writing the book, hence his negative outlook on aging. He specifically said he is not happy, and that he would trade his money for youth in a heartbeat

I wasn't aware that he had passed. Kinda sad to hear this. Hind sight bein 20/20 I can clearly see where his negativity on aging was coming from when he wrote this book.

On a personal note, for me, my first impression of his writing style and attitude towards older readers is that he reminds me of that old uncle or family friend who comes over for dinner and tells tales of his successes to your parents, but turns to you and says " Stay on your own road kid, don't bother trying what I did, what I'm talking about ain't for you" I developed the "F---you I'm going to prove you wrong" attitude while reading his book. That's probably a good attitude for me to take away from his book.

Buickestate

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
" Stay on your own road kid, don't bother trying what I did, what I'm talking about ain't for you" I developed the "F---you I'm going to prove you wrong" attitude while reading his book. That's probably a good attitude for me to take away from his book.

My understanding is that's the intention he had. At the end of the book, Felix made his objective clear when he narrated the dinner conversation between him and a friend. "'What the world needs,' I thundered, 'is an anti-self-help book. A book that tells people how hard it is to be a great manager or a great anything. About how hard it is to get rich. Bugger the glib insights!'"

He intentionally made it sound as hard for you as possible, as to weed out those that don't really want to get rich.

I truly love his book. It's written by a man that started with literally nothing. He made an unfathomable amount of money during his lifetime. Felix estimates that his assets were between $400 million to $900 million. When you compare it to multi-billionaires. It may not seem as big. But it is still a gargantuan amount of money. He experienced the most extreme luxuries the world has to offer. He bargained his entire life on getting rich. He didn't care how much of an outcast he would be made to be, he didn't care how much work he had to put in. He would be rich. And his entire greedy, selfish, determined mindset (one he is very proud of) that got him to such massive riches has been offered in one single book.

Its a favorite read for many millionaires for a reason.

One of the best quotes is -
“Now you must leave the safety of the ant colony and the hive. You are to become a loner, an outcast, cut off from the very thing that defines what many of us believe we are. What is the first question usually asked by strangers of each other? Right, it’s “What do you do?” In some cultures, the way of answering may be different; but it nearly always relates to work in the West: “I’m a teacher; I’m in banking; I’m a dairy farmer; I’m an HR administrator; I’m a sound engineer.” Our job defines us. But it cannot define you. Not anymore.”

ace81385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
May 6, 2015
I really loved this book, read it 2x already. I probably should re read some of the chapters. There are so many great quotes from it. In fact looking at quotes from it and talking about it now makes me want to pick it up right now!

“Having a great idea is simply not enough. The eventual goal is vastly more important than any idea. It is how ideas are implemented that counts in the long run”

“Ideas don’t make you rich. The correct execution of ideas does.”

“working too long for other people can blunt your desire to take risks.”

I think this one is my personal favorite, its pretty hilarious
“If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it.”

He was definitely someone I would have loved to have the opportunity to meet and pick his brain. Everyone should definitely get a copy.

Capitalist11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Feb 16, 2015
UK
AH yes, I bought that books a long time ago and the thing that still sticks with me is his section on OWNERSHIP. He basically says that if you wish t become rich you must "strive with every fibre of your begin to maintain as close to 100% of your company as possible" He even gives a few examples explaining how he fired a few people who demanded a stake in his company etc. I find that section to be rather helpful.

tigerscent

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Sep 28, 2015
UK
I've just read this book and I have to say I think it's up there with TMF . I can totally see the point about age and kids. It's not that you can't make it if you're over 40; it's just that there's less time between success and pushing up the daisies, plus more obligations in the way of kids, age, aged parents etc. With youth comes time - time to try, fail and try again (x 10) - and the boundless energy to do so.

How many times will I fail?

How much time can I afford to expend on failure?

If only I had my time again...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'm not scared of failing any more. Inertia is not an option...

...and neither is procrastination.

ShaeStyle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Feb 4, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I liked the book as well. My favorite part was all of Chapter 12- Ownership! Ownership! Ownership! He stressed the importance of ownership and I truly believe that it is the best advice any entrepreneur can give. You have to own/create your own business because you will never get rich by having a boss. This was my biggest takeaway from the entire book. I literally read that chapter a couple of times which helped inspire me to pursue my own lane.

CMA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 3, 2014
I read this book along with TMF every year and I have to say that this book is a gem.

In your face candor and fun to read as well.

Highly recommend it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.