The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to get interaction from others?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this post, please move when needed.

During my time here on the Fastlane forum I've developed my mindset a lot and stopped focussing on money. It's about providing value and find solutions for needs.

Last week and a half I've been sending emails, messages on Facebook, LinkedIn and looked in groups on Facebook but the response rate is very very low. I've tried multiple messages and adjusted it after some advice from people on this forum.

I'm not mentioning anything that could give them the idea that I want to sell them anything. I'm not pushing anyone, I'm not spamming them but still I'm not getting feedback.

It's kinda demotivating after a week and a half and I'm still at the same point as then. What else can I do or improve on to get more people to talk to me, tell me about their pain points or needs? How to get that interaction so I can get started and not waiting and hoping for people to reply on me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
"Spend your money on diesel and coffee"

99% of salespeople or entrepreneurs are trying to connect through those same channels. Business owners are inundated and have their defenses up.

What they don’t have happening is somebody calling and saying “Hi, my name is Wiezel, I’m an aspiring business owner and was wondering if I could buy you coffee/breakfast/lunch and ask you about your business?

Twofold benefit: people love to talk about themselves and who doesn’t like free food?

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
"Spend your money on diesel and coffee"

99% of salespeople or entrepreneurs are trying to connect through those same channels. Business owners are inundated and have their defenses up.

What they don’t have happening is somebody calling and saying “Hi, my name is Wiezel, I’m an aspiring business owner and was wondering if I could buy you coffee/breakfast/lunch and ask you about your business?

Twofold benefit: people love to talk about themselves and who doesn’t like free food?

Which makes it hard for me since I want to focus on the US market and I’m from Europe.

Reason why; outsourcing later on, English is a way more spoken language than Dutch and don’t want to trap myself in my own country.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Which makes it hard for me since I want to focus on the US market and I’m from Europe.

Reason why; outsourcing later on, English is a way more spoken language than Dutch and don’t want to trap myself in my own country.

Can you clairfy what you’re hoping to get out of them?

What else can I do or improve on to get more people to talk to me, tell me about their pain points or needs?

When I read the above, it implies you are looking for a niche/product/service you can offer. In which case you could probably do research locally and it would apply to businesses worldwide. You could also then open your emails with “Is xxxx a problem for you as it is for many other business owners?” As you’ll have the pain point they may be looking for a solution for.

When I read that you want to focus on the US market, it implies you have your product or service and are trying to sell it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this post, please move when needed.

During my time here on the Fastlane forum I've developed my mindset a lot and stopped focussing on money. It's about providing value and find solutions for needs.

Last week and a half I've been sending emails, messages on Facebook, LinkedIn and looked in groups on Facebook but the response rate is very very low. I've tried multiple messages and adjusted it after some advice from people on this forum.

I'm not mentioning anything that could give them the idea that I want to sell them anything. I'm not pushing anyone, I'm not spamming them but still I'm not getting feedback.

It's kinda demotivating after a week and a half and I'm still at the same point as then. What else can I do or improve on to get more people to talk to me, tell me about their pain points or needs? How to get that interaction so I can get started and not waiting and hoping for people to reply on me?
Pick a Facebook group you’re in, follow these rules, and let us know what happens:

You cannot:
  1. Start a messenger conversation with anyone.
  2. Reply with “PM me” in any threads.
  3. Send a friend request to anyone.
  4. Create any new threads.

You can:
  1. “Like” or “Love” other people’s threads and comments - if you liked or loved them.
  2. Reply to other people’s helpful posts with a thank you note explaining *why* it’s helped you and what you’ll do differently going forward.
  3. Reply to other people’s questions if you can add value.
  4. Get into a conversation if they message you first.

Be natural and have fun when you do it. Don’t have a goal to make connections. Have a goal to join in with the community and lift other people up.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Can you clairfy what you’re hoping to get out of them?

When I read the above, it implies you are looking for a niche/product/service you can offer. In which case you could probably do research locally and it would apply to businesses worldwide. You could also then open your emails with “Is xxxx a problem for you as it is for many other business owners?” As you’ll have the pain point they may be looking for a solution for.

When I read that you want to focus on the US market, it implies you have your product or service and are trying to sell it.

1. That they will speak freely with me at what their pain points or challenges are.
2. I'm searching in a certain niche, yes correct. I do not have a product or service, I was thinking about digital marketing in all forms (strategies, advertising, getting leads, branding etc.) but I didn't mention it to any of the business owners.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Pick a Facebook group you’re in, follow these rules, and let us know what happens:

You cannot:
  1. Start a messenger conversation with anyone.
  2. Reply with “PM me” in any threads.
  3. Send a friend request to anyone.
  4. Create any new threads.

You can:
  1. “Like” or “Love” other people’s threads and comments - if you liked or loved them.
  2. Reply to other people’s helpful posts with a thank you note explaining *why* it’s helped you and what you’ll do differently going forward.
  3. Reply to other people’s questions if you can add value.
  4. Get into a conversation if they message you first.

Be natural and have fun when you do it. Don’t have a goal to make connections. Have a goal to join in with the community and lift other people up.

I'll give that a shot. Not sure how that would work out.. interacting with random people who might not even own a business? Isn't that a waste of time.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I'll give that a shot. Not sure how that would work out.. interacting with random people who might not even own a business? Isn't that a waste of time.

Aside from the obvious negative mindset, when you get advice from somebody who is successfully doing what you’re trying to do....don’t question it. Just do it.

You’d be suprised what can happen behind the scenes and what relationships and opportunities can follow. Happens all the time on this forum even if it isn’t posted publicly.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Pick a group where you can become part of the community and where you can get known as “The XYZ Guy” because you help people with XYZ.

Maybe you’re a web designer who loves restoring motorbikes. Find a motorbike restoration group and get stuck in. If someone asks for website help then help them. But don’t say “PM me” or send them a private message. Do it so others can see you doing it. Don’t just help people, be seen to help people.

By following those rules you’re forced to add value - because the only way you’ll get connected or into conversation is because they reach out to you.

Business is simple: Add value, get paid.

Do the first thing first. The second part will follow.

Also... check out the Inbound Braindump in my signature if you haven’t, and the thread I created called “How to use forums (and Facebook groups)”.

You’re leads won’t come from the people you help, or even the people who see you helping others. It will come from those people seeing you as “The XYZ Guy” and referring you on when they see someone who has a problem with XYZ.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Pick a group where you can become part of the community and where you can get known as “The XYZ Guy” because you help people with XYZ.

Maybe you’re a web designer who loves restoring motorbikes. Find a motorbike restoration group and get stuck in. If someone asks for website help then help them. But don’t say “PM me” or send them a private message. Do it so others can see you doing it. Don’t just help people, be seen to help people.

By following those rules you’re forced to add value - because the only way you’ll get connected or into conversation is because they reach out to you.

Business is simple: Add value, get paid.

Do the first thing first. The second part will follow.

Also... check out the Inbound Braindump in my signature if you haven’t, and the thread I created called “How to use forums (and Facebook groups)”.

You’re leads won’t come from the people you help, or even the people who see you helping others. It will come from those people seeing you as “The XYZ Guy” and referring you on when they see someone who has a problem with XYZ.

Thanks Andy, very insightful.
The odd thing is... I’m nothing. I don’t own any skills or a specific skillset that can fix other people’s problems. Which makes it hard to pick a niche or focus on a certain target group who I can help.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy, very insightful.
The odd thing is... I’m nothing. I don’t own any skills or a specific skillset that can fix other people’s problems. Which makes it hard to pick a niche or focus on a certain target group who I can help.
Even if you think your skills aren't that valuable (yet), you have something that all business owners value:

TIME

What about this scenario?

[Andy] Thanks for reaching out Wiezel. I'm glad you found that comment helpful. I used that graphic design package back in college so knew about that setting. You mention you had an eCommerce site selling those motorbike parts? How's that going?

[Wiezel] <Response>

[Andy] Oh wow. That sounds like a lot of work!

[Wiezel] <Response>

[Andy] Haha. I've no idea what that is, but I could roll up my sleeves and help with that if you want?

Here's a phrase you could think about: "The person who'll run with the ball is the person who catches it."

I'm not the only business owner who prefers someone who's eager over someone who's got the skills but isn't interested.

Mindset trumps skillset.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
@Andy Black Thank you again!

I'm wondering though... I get your message.
Let's say someone comes up with a question and I know a little bit about it (let's say SEO).

Of course I want to help him/her but I'm not good enough or I do not know enough to REALLY help them.
The best for them is to outsource it so they get results, but this will cost them money.

How do I deal with that? Because I don't know that much about certain things nor do I own a skill?

Is time enough? Just offer them your time while you don't know anything further?
And do you have suggestions on what kind of groups to join?

Last edited:

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Just focus on solving their problem.

In your example, yes, outsource. But finding a good outsourcing partner, communicating with him and supervising him requires TIME too.

You can help with that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.