The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to find local millionaires willing to mentor you for free?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Mike351

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jan 5, 2015
Australia MATES
Guys, I agree that this was not the most eloquent way to ask this question, this was probably the first thread I started. I meant it to be read as a how-to question so that people would be more interested in the thread but given the responses it seems that this "tactic" has backfired :D

In any case, I'm glad that I started this thread because I did get some very helpful suggestions that I started acting upon and will hopefully be able to share some good results with you soon.

Translation: How do I get rich by letting someone else do all the hard work and I simply copy their 2 step formula for success?

The answer is, who did they have? They worked hard on their own to the point where they questioned the 9th dimensions of the universe as to why the upper echelons of the galaxy chose them to face such adversity....

And then while they are having dinner at the country club some pipsqueak who is wet behind the ears but full of hope interrupts their dinner...

"Scuse me sir, I couldn't help but notice your De Tomaso Mangusta parked out the front, its beautiful and so is your wife who is a quarter of your age. How did you do it? Will you mentor me??? Please??? Pleaseeee???????" to which he just ignores you and continues fine dining...

Filled with rage you go onto forums asking "Please tell me how to get a millionaire to mentor me for free!!!"

Does this sound like someone who is self made to you? Even if you make your millions through hand holding, will you feel fulfilled? Or will you just blow it all on cars and girls until you are broke and have no freakin clue on how to build wealth from the ground up again. Part of the reason their struggles were so real is that if they ever lost it all at least they can build it up again. Whiners who have their hand held instead of figuring it out for free end up bankrupt and not able to create that wealth again...

Don't be "that guy" who asks for the simple way to wealth. There is no simple way. Even if your hand is held it is still a massive effort to gain even some momentum. Don't be "that guy". I used to be the guy who asked for the simple way and "if only a rich mentor could just write in dot form exactly how they did it and did it for me that would be awesome"......looking back its so ridiculous and now I would not be happy if I made my wealth getting a mentor to do all the hard work for me.

So instead of going on here asking, get out there and create those opportunities for yourself. Don't know how? Learn how. Don't know how to learn? Learn how to learn. My mentors are my books by millionaires who started out struggling thinking why the fck are they even doing what they are doing, youtube videos, friends or friends of friends who have made it. Hell just walk up to a guy with a lambo and genuinely sound more interested in him or her than his car or his money. Build a rapport. Sounds ridiculous? Well that is because you were raised expecting everything done for you. Life is not a catered event. You have to cook, serve, clean up and pack away all by your wittle self. I'm not an expert nor am I wealthy but ffs some of the "give me answer free now. magic pill silver bullet now!!!!!! me me" type of threads frustrate me. But I commend you for at least having the desire to not be stuck being someone else's pleb.

Last edited:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I'm currently running revenue-generating businesses (one profitable, one nearing profitablity after 4 months in operation) based directly on the advice and mentorship I've gotten from members of this forum. You have everything you need to get started right here.

BTW the key is not the information a mentor may provide, it's 1) having the intelligence to determine if their advice and experience is right for you (e.g. look at how many Shark Tank success stories are borne from "4 out of 5 sharks thought XXXX was an idiot, but 1 of the sharks invested and now they do 7-figure sales per year") and 2) you have to do the daily, boring, tedious execution of the mentor's advice. Without this execution the strategy is meaningless.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
General ideas and suggestions are ok but I really would like to hear from people who have been successful at achieving this (or at least tried) so that we can all benefit from your experiences.

I have no real expériences yet but i have ideas to share with you guys.

Eben Pagan says the best way is to help your mentor to achieve greater success in his life so by reciprocity, he helps you with your dreams.

Maybe you can go to a seminar of him or her and take notes and make a CD of theses notes for your mentor so that he can give it away at his next seminars as a gift for his attendees.

So you are now someone important for your mentor because of your initiative and litlle by little , you build a relationship wih him.

Eben says we must help our mentor to grow to the next level so he wants to help us to reach his current level of success.

That's human psychology at work

We must give to get something. we can't escape this step.

I'd like to but we can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
i would like to kno this as well lol

Please do yourself a favor and read the book. http://www.themillionairefastlane.com/download.php

You won't find a mentor here the way you try to do it. Just think logical, why should anyone who is successful mentor you? What value do you offer to them? Fastlaners treat their time as the most valuable thing, and I can't see just 1 reason they should invest their time in you.

Really read the book, then come back and you will understand it.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
You're speaking for yourself. I'm sure one person isnt so stuck up like most millionaire's are.
And you're obviously the self centered type. And i doubt you have a real social life either way. You mean to tell me, everyone who is sucessful, WILL NOT give any advice to us poor folks? Lol.. Some logic you have there Supa... Hey, If you're not gonna give good advice please keep your 2cents to yourself.
You have enough time to bash me for asking a question. People like you dont deserve to be rich (If you even are)

BTW, a few people have already PM'ed me offering to give me some advice. SO you're "logic" is flawed, mr grumpy.

Lol.

You can judge my character and social life by reading one post. Great work.

I didn't say successful people won't give you advice. This whole forum is full of advice. But you are asking for mentors, and how to get $10,000 until the end of this month (your landfill-ed thread).

That's why I told you to read the book. You're chasing money. This forum is about creating value (and attracting money in the process of doing so). That's why you will have a hard time finding a mentor with keeping this money chasing mentality, on here.

Just my illogical 2 cents.
-Mr. Grumpy

lovecharm

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 13, 2013
Delaware, USA
No, this is not a step by step process on how to do it. This is a question that I have always had and never could find the answer to.

I’ve spent God knows how much on “coaching” but I came to the realization that coaches may be great at showing you how to become a coach but they can’t take you where they have not been able to go themselves. Given that I have the goal to become wealthy and in the spirit of this forum I think millionaires will make for some great coaches (pending other factors such as personality types and ability to teach etc.)

Which brings up back to the original question. If you were to search for and approach local millionaires, how will that look like? I’m emphasizing the “local” part due to the importance of the face to face interaction, this might not be necessary though surely helpful.

I'm also interested in knowing what do millionaires get from mentoring other people, I get that it's helping others, but what is specifically about that that moves them? Is the monetary compensation still needed? I'm asking because I'd like to know what can I give in return and make it win-win.

General ideas and suggestions are ok but I really would like to hear from people who have been successful at achieving this (or at least tried) so that we can all benefit from your experiences.

Don't think about what they can do for you, think about what you can do for them.

I get plenty of requests time to time, if I were to help every one then I would have to give up my work. Honestly speaking, most of them time its just simple one or two lines, oh I started business so can you help me OR how do I start a business and bla bla. Needless to say Delete button comes handy at that time.

World is all about give and take, you are only thinking about what you are going to take from him/her, you need to think about what you can give them.

If I need something from some one then I think about how I can help them, I study them and see how I can give value so that his/her life gets better because of that, then I approach them and offer them my help. 8-10 time it works and I am in, when I am in then they help me.

If I were to approach them asking for help then chances are they won't even reply. You have to understand, people who are successful are busy and have a lot going on, also we get tons of email about helps regularly, Linkedin, Instagram etc, people keeps sending email for help all the time.

So, think about how you help them, whatever skills you have (website design, manual labour, accounting, marketing, sales etc), offer it to them first because you love what they do and would like to work with them etc. You have differentiated yourself from all the 100's of requests that they get, now you are in.

Good luck.

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
This entire forum is one massive mentorship program.

Hell, I have mentors that don't even know I exist.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
I would say that the majority view your question from a point of weakness. IE. I am a commoner looking for attention from a rarity. What you fail to realize is that people are people and as Charlie Munger would say, always start with incentives.

You want help from a millionaire? Then stop acting like a child and go sell a millionaire your dream and ask him to take a share of it FOR FREE.

Good luck

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Please tell me the EXACT steps. Don't leave anything out.
Step 1: Start a business and then get sued out of existence 3 months later. Start another, then another side business
Step 2: Work a depressing job for 7 years, then another for 9 months
Step 3: Start something on the side, and get paid $5/hr for your efforts
Step 4: Get more successful and hire people to help you
Step 5: Run into major problems with a big client and only focus on bringing in big new customers, thereby almost failing again
Step 6: pull a rabbit out of a hat and get the big client back on track, land another big deal, and a couple small deals
Step 7: well, that's where I'm at right now, so ... to be continued

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Step 1: Start a business and then get sued out of existence 3 months later. Start another, then another side business
Step 5: Run into major problems with a big client and only focus on bringing in big new customers, thereby almost failing again
Step 6: pull a rabbit out of a hat and get the big client back on track, land another big deal, and a couple small deals

F*ck that. Skip all steps. Go straight to millions. The end.

:D

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
What's your fastlane pursuit at the moment Jon?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia

That's what I though when I read TMF and joined this forum a year ago.
I was sure I'll start making 1 milli a month right away.

(bitchslap saturday party)

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Maybe I should sell my company for millions, now.

I just know its going to be successful some day, so if you buy it now for $10M, it will be worth at least $100M in a few years. Great deal. Ground floor opportunity.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
What's your fastlane pursuit at the moment Jon?
Software...we're doing custom work currently, and have a few larger product-based projects in the hopper. We've run out of enough custom work right now, so we're refocusing on getting that going again to support the other activity.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

I was hoping that fairies wear boots, rainbows and unicorns would be apart of the steps.

I am deeply sadden. :(

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Let me change the question to:

"How do I get local business mentors?"​

Sell a B2B service to them.

My clients are business owners. My service helps them generate more leads, sales, revenue, and profit. Many business owners find that valuable.

I often meet local business owners for coffee or lunch. They pay - I ramble. (I've even had a CEO, CTO, CMO, and CFO trek across town with notebooks and pens just to meet me and buy me lunch.)

If I move the needle then I become their new best friend. They refer me to their friends. They want to JV on ideas they have.

As already mentioned - provide value.

The question now becomes:

"How do I become valuable to local business owners?"​

croatan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 4, 2016
Can I ask you guys if it's alright to use some B2B Contact Lists that I can filter to my City and then send to each one (of course that I like, or by industries I want be in) email or knock on their business door and ask them for mentorship in exchange for nothing?
Like volunteering I mean...
Thanks Guys! I'm not very long in business But I saw many good CEOs around my city that think they could help and be my mentor :D
#excided hehe

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
It's like dating:
Approach a girl and say, "I think you're cute/beautiful. We should hang out or grab some coffee sometime. What's your number?"
• Gives number
You: "I'm free Wednesday at 6pm.
Her: "I can do Wednesday at 6."
You: "Great! I'll pick you up. See ya then!"
Wednesday at 6-Go to local coffee shop and chat for 30 minutes. Then walk around the neighborhood and chat for 30 minutes. Go bowling for an hour.
You: "I saw this really good movie on Netflix. We can watch it at my house."
Next morning...
You:"Hey! I had a really great time. There's this event next weekend. We should go together."
Rinse and Repeat...

Quim Baig

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Jan 4, 2020
so I have moved several times. in the past 20 yrs.

new town, new people

everywhere I go, I meet millionaires.

how is that even possible?
perhaps its my mindset, or my expectations, or I just know who to talk to.
very likely I just hang out with the right crowd.....

or I have learned to ask better questions.
Could you explain a little bit more those experiences??

Thank you

jazzdorf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 7, 2021
Munich - Germany
Oyyy...Are you even trying?

Please leave this thread and use the forum search feature immediately. Then come back to this thread and tell us what your plan is.

BTW - You need a complete mindset shift if you think someone is going to mentor you for free. Provide value to others (this is your payment to them - not always money) and expect nothing in return.
Go read IceCreamKids zen******* thread. All of it.

And maybe don't read replies in this thread until you did the above. It might get brutal.
I would love to read this zen***** thread, but was unable to find it. Could somebody please post a link?

Edit: I think I found it: HOT! - MINDSET - Z**** Changed How I View The World

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.