The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guide: How to find and get a mentor using the web

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

5holiday

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jun 7, 2012
Hi guys,

Recently a colleague of mine pointed out how I've had a bit of success finding interesting mentors without any previous connections. I've wanted to contribute to the forum for awhile, so here are a few of my reflections that might give you guys some pointers on how to do it for yourselves.

How does someone actually become a mentor?

Firstly, I've never asked someone to mentor me. The relationship becomes a mentor-mentee relationship overtime simply by first positioning yourself as someone worth guiding first following up.

Afterall, a mentor is just an experienced person, interested in your success, who can give you actionable feedback on where you're trying to go. This can be done without even asking someone to 'mentor you'.

upload_2016-6-17_21-55-2.png

I've jumped ahead of myself but it is worth keeping this in mind before the actual step by steps.

First, think about who you would like to mentor you.

Pick someone you want to become and emulate. Not necessarily somebody famous, they're probably getting garbage email all the time.

For example, think your local real estate developer and not Donald Trump.

Another factor to keep in mind is whether they already teach or guide others in some way. Volunteering for a business related charity or group is a good example.

However, try to avoid people who offer a 'coaching course' of some kind on the topic:

upload_2016-6-17_21-47-31.png

Finding these people

Google search and LinkedIn are your best friends here. You will need to trawl through articles mentioning this people to find them - so after trying the most obvious keyword strings, use strings that will bring up the articles where they are mentioned.

Example:

"startup marketing expert australia" - obvious

Now try keywords geared towards articles about them.

"award winning freelance digital marketer australia" example results below:

upload_2016-6-17_22-22-29.png

The added bonus of doing this is that you can honestly mention how you found this person when you contact them. Perosnally, I would be quite happy if people mentioned they saw me in the press and reached out for a little feedback.

Finding their email

Straightforward. Check for personal sites, company about us pages, or reverse engineer their email from the company email format:

steve.jobs@apple.com to ideal.mentor@apple.com

If all fails, try their public facing social media

Twitter is usually a cool way to reach out publically if you can managed to get them to follow you back. LinkedIn mail will also work.

OK, what to say in your email?

I usually write my messages along these lines:

- Hi my name is X currently doing 1. I've been wanting to do ABC.

- [IMPORTANT] I have done ABC, but I am not sure if I am on the right track.

- Honestly, I don't really know that many people in the industry [note: only say this if it is the truth]. I saw your name come up in SOURCE and are an expert in this area so I thought I'd reach out.

- Is there any chance I may be able to ask you a few quick questions about your experience in X industry and how I might be able to move in a similar direction?

- thanks and sign off

Show this person what effort you have made yourself before reaching out

It is generally well appreciated and I believe this distinguishes you from the spam, writing in asking for the same.

upload_2016-6-17_22-11-56.png

From here, you can usually enter into a light to and fro about your situation and how to get where you're going.

You might have to be creative. If you haven't done that much (boo), at least list the effort you have gone into. For example.

- asked family and friends
- taken courses on the subject
- read x books
- applied to X companies
- etc etc

All together, even these simple things can show somebody important that you've done some basic legwork and are not just wasting their time. It will also improve the quality of the responses too.

What's next? Actually do what they suggest and keep following up!

This is the bit that turns your 'email for advice' into the mentoring relationship. Show them you have actually taken on board what they suggest to you and that you are proactive!

By taking their advice on board and taking action you become worthy of their investment of their precious time and care.

From this:

upload_2016-6-17_22-16-43.png

To this:

upload_2016-6-17_22-18-7.png

--
I hope this helps give you guys some ideas on how to find mentors in your own fields. Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-17_21-51-53.png
    upload_2016-6-17_21-51-53.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 8

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content