The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How should you save and budget money every month?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
Hi folks,
I'm wondering which is the best way to save and budget every month in order to manage personal finances effectively? I find out this J ARS money management system might be useful.

Let me know how you guys budget/manage your money every month :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The jars system you linked to is far too granular for me. Two savings accounts. One long term (for investment use) and one short term (for whatever you want to use it for).

Auto payments of a set amount per account go in monthly from the main personal current/checking account a couple of days after salary payment lands (just in case there is an issue with the salary payment).

Live on the rest. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
# For my personal Irish accounts:

I have a main account where money goes in and direct debits go out. I don’t have a debit card for this account.

That main account trickles money once a week into a second account by direct debit. I have a debit card for this account and treat it as my “weekly pay”. Of course, I can cheat and transfer money across from my main account to my “personal account” whenever I want. It just makes it obvious to me that I’m overspending when I do.

Myself and my wife have access to a “Groceries” account for the weekly shop, and a couple of “Joint savings” accounts. One is for saving up for stuff, the other is more for rainy day.

I have my own personal savings account.

# For my personal UK accounts:

I have an offset mortgage where savings are offset against a mortgage and I’m charged less interest each month. My monthly payments are the same, but I pay off more of the loan each month.

# Business wise

I have two accounts. My main one, and one where I save money to pay taxes. Whenever money comes into the main account I try to immediately transfer a % to the second account so I’ve always enough to cover taxes.

I have a daily cash flow forecaster for my personal finances and for my business finances. I’ll maybe create a version for Google Sheets and link to it so you can make a copy. And maybe do a video showing how I use it.

The main things I try to do is have everything automated, and pay myself weekly. So I can focus on earning more.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
For me, I found a bank that gives a high savings rate(limited to one high savings rate account per person) as long you satisfy their conditions (e.g. a monthly deposit and open/link a daily account where you use a debit card to purchase transactions).

I have 4 accounts in that bank:
1. Daily account - is where my dalary goes in and which I use for all my transactions (daily expenses). I compute my monthly expenses and leave the amount here.
2. High Interest saving account - I just keep on adding to this savings account every month and try not to withdraw from it. Its kinda like my emergency fund.
3. Travel fund - I put in here a fixed monthly as I would like to travel yearly (combination of local and international travel).
4. Debt killer/Investment - I currently still have credit card debts so this account is used to clear it and once debt is clear, Im using that account for investments or business.

Im also looking to automate as much as possible so I set monthly transfers to each account. I found another bank though with another high interedt savings so I might transfer my Travel fund there as my travel is scheduled already and often takes time to save for. Some additional interest for your cash isnt bad anyway. ;)

ericaung

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Oct 6, 2018
Hi Andy,

Yes, please share a Google Spreadsheet version here. So everyone can get a better idea to manage finances. Look forward to it.

Thanks in advance

# For my personal Irish accounts:

I have a main account where money goes in and direct debits go out. I don’t have a debit card for this account.

It trickles money once a week into a second account by direct debit. I have a debit card for this account and treat it as my “weekly pay”. Of course, I can transfer money across from the “main account” to the “personal account” whenever I want. I just know I’m doing it.

Myself and my wife have access to a “Groceries” account for the weekly shop, and a couple of “Joint savings” accounts. One is for saving up for stuff, the other is more for rainy day.

I have my own personal savings account.

# For my personal UK accounts:

I have an offset mortgage where savings are offset against a mortgage and I’m charged less interest each month. My monthly payments are the same, but I pay off more of the loan each month.

# Business wise

I have two accounts. My main one, and one where I save money to pay taxes. Whenever money comes into the main account I try to immediately transfer a % to the second account so I’ve always enough to cover taxes.

I have a daily cash flow forecaster for my personal finances and for my business finances. I’ll maybe create a version for Google Sheets and link to it so you can make a copy. And maybe do a video showing how I use it.

The main things I try to do is have everything automated, and pay myself weekly. So I can focus on earning more.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
I actually use the system from the book "I Will Teach You To Be Rich" (not a book about getting rich, but very informative regarding personal finance and saving imo!).
At the end of each month I transfer some money to my investment account and a little bit into my savings account.
What is left on my account is meant for spending that month. I have a bank where I can divide my money between different wallets. So I have a wallet for my rent, utilities and groceries, one wallet for clothing and one wallet for fun stuff. This really helped me get a clear overview of my spending habbits. I am much more mindful of my spending, and I get to save a little more because I spent less money on stuff I dont really want or need.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
3 accounts.

1. for emergency fund savings, out of that if I have a big bill it comes from there. Dog bill, need a car repaired etc.

Once it reaches a certain point I might invest some into slowlane markets or for speculation and top it back up again.

2. Business investment savings, this money is used to invest in my own ventures.

3. Short term savings for 2 weeks living expenses. Misc shit like coffee, food, etc.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
read 'The Richest Man in Babylon'

do that

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
the business version is 'Profit First'

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
All I prioritize is the business. My life expenses rise and fall with whatever I’m comfortable spending so that I can have money to go back into the business. I spend most of my time growing my business right now so the only thing I can spend money on is rent, a truck, food, and some ammo for shooting on the weekends. Growing revenue is all that matters. I don’t give half of a shit about saving a percentage of my money, or not buying Starbucks, or clipping coupons. I think about how to raise revenue by 10-15% each month.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.