The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

How should you save and budget money every month?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

ericaung

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 6, 2018
Hi folks,
I'm wondering which is the best way to save and budget every month in order to manage personal finances effectively? I find out this J ARS money management system might be useful.

Let me know how you guys budget/manage your money every month :)

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 3, 2014
England UK
The jars system you linked to is far to granular for me. Two savings accounts. One long term (for investment use) and one short term (for whatever you want to use it for).

Auto payments of a set amount per account go in monthly from the main personal current/checking account a couple of days after salary payment lands (just in case there is an issue with the salary payment).

Live on the rest. Rinse and repeat.

Andy Black

Dad, husband, entrepreneur.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
# For my personal Irish accounts:

I have a main account where money goes in and direct debits go out. I don’t have a debit card for this account.

That main account trickles money once a week into a second account by direct debit. I have a debit card for this account and treat it as my “weekly pay”. Of course, I can cheat and transfer money across from my main account to my “personal account” whenever I want. It just makes it obvious to me that I’m overspending when I do.

Myself and my wife have access to a “Groceries” account for the weekly shop, and a couple of “Joint savings” accounts. One is for saving up for stuff, the other is more for rainy day.

I have my own personal savings account.

# For my personal UK accounts:

I have an offset mortgage where savings are offset against a mortgage and I’m charged less interest each month. My monthly payments are the same, but I pay off more of the loan each month.

# Business wise

I have two accounts. My main one, and one where I save money to pay taxes. Whenever money comes into the main account I try to immediately transfer a % to the second account so I’ve always enough to cover taxes.

I have a daily cash flow forecaster for my personal finances and for my business finances. I’ll maybe create a version for Google Sheets and link to it so you can make a copy. And maybe do a video showing how I use it.

The main things I try to do is have everything automated, and pay myself weekly. So I can focus on earning more.

LinorCG

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
For me, I found a bank that gives a high savings rate(limited to one high savings rate account per person) as long you satisfy their conditions (e.g. a monthly deposit and open/link a daily account where you use a debit card to purchase transactions).

I have 4 accounts in that bank:
1. Daily account - is where my dalary goes in and which I use for all my transactions (daily expenses). I compute my monthly expenses and leave the amount here.
2. High Interest saving account - I just keep on adding to this savings account every month and try not to withdraw from it. Its kinda like my emergency fund.
3. Travel fund - I put in here a fixed monthly as I would like to travel yearly (combination of local and international travel).
4. Debt killer/Investment - I currently still have credit card debts so this account is used to clear it and once debt is clear, Im using that account for investments or business.

Im also looking to automate as much as possible so I set monthly transfers to each account. I found another bank though with another high interedt savings so I might transfer my Travel fund there as my travel is scheduled already and often takes time to save for. Some additional interest for your cash isnt bad anyway. ;)

OP
OP
ericaung

ericaung

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Oct 6, 2018
Hi Andy,

Yes, please share a Google Spreadsheet version here. So everyone can get a better idea to manage finances. Look forward to it.

Thanks in advance

# For my personal Irish accounts:

I have a main account where money goes in and direct debits go out. I don’t have a debit card for this account.

It trickles money once a week into a second account by direct debit. I have a debit card for this account and treat it as my “weekly pay”. Of course, I can transfer money across from the “main account” to the “personal account” whenever I want. I just know I’m doing it.

Myself and my wife have access to a “Groceries” account for the weekly shop, and a couple of “Joint savings” accounts. One is for saving up for stuff, the other is more for rainy day.

I have my own personal savings account.

# For my personal UK accounts:

I have an offset mortgage where savings are offset against a mortgage and I’m charged less interest each month. My monthly payments are the same, but I pay off more of the loan each month.

# Business wise

I have two accounts. My main one, and one where I save money to pay taxes. Whenever money comes into the main account I try to immediately transfer a % to the second account so I’ve always enough to cover taxes.

I have a daily cash flow forecaster for my personal finances and for my business finances. I’ll maybe create a version for Google Sheets and link to it so you can make a copy. And maybe do a video showing how I use it.

The main things I try to do is have everything automated, and pay myself weekly. So I can focus on earning more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock