The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you choose your Role models?

Anything related to matters of the mind

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
Recently i have been reading awaken the giant within by Tony Robbins, and even though i have read just 2 chapters of it i have learnt a lot.
Tony talks about having 'role models' to avoid long painful years and many mistakes one may make in their journey.

I browse through different blogs, podcasts, and youtube channels namely;
  • wallstreetplayboys.com
  • this forum
  • reddit
and learn from content relevant to me.

I have realized that i search a lot for
  • self-help books- reading philosophers such as James Allen, Stoics and a lot of the books discussed on this forum.
  • any post for 18 year olds- what to do and what not to do in life, basically guides on how to live life
I take what i feel is beneficial to my life and try to implement it(rarely happens though-gonna be honest here)

So, I want to choose some role models, who i can follow- align my beliefs and values with and learn from them.
I know that if i want to get where i want to i will have to sacrifice, work hard and be disciplined.
But having a role model will make it easier for me.
I don't want a map, or a pathway to life.

Rather someone whom i can look upto and follow.

So how do you choose your role models and who is/are your role models?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
If your uncle is a self-made millionaire then use him as your role model, otherwise, you may want to use virtual role models likes the rest of us. That includes listening to relevant podcasts and learning more about the guests that are genuinely adding values. Reading books, being part of communities like this, and eventually making friends with people who are either ahead of you or headed in the same direction.

Keep learning, keep doing, and do not let any excuse including the lack of role models stop you from continuously taking action. Everything is figureoutable!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Most of my role models are dead.

I don’t like following people who are alive cuz.. only time will tell if what they’re doing really does make the world a better place. I’m not impressed by much.. unless it’s goodness. A humble AND good person is the most rare prize on earth. I look for quotes that touch my heart, first; then I find paragraphs, then books. I find the majority of my role models in books.

When you’re new to self-education - which is the ONLY real education- it’s hard to just follow your own instincts because you’re likely to go towards ideas that make you feel comfortable. This will trap you and keep you thinking the same things. But jumping into Plato or Shakespeare or the “super hard” classics is even harder because the language just doesn’t compute.

Ultimately, I found that following a rule of reading a little bit from many types of books all from the same general era gives me a much deeper understanding.

When I first started I searched some “ Most Important Books to Read” lists -like this one- and would randomly pick whatever looked cool after I searched it on GoodReads or whatever. Then I started broadening out from there keeping the spine of my idea - history- and fleshing it out with novels, original manuscripts, poetry, and more.

So maybe I’m reading Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography (cuz it’s one of the best books ever), right? It was recommended. But I’ll go ahead and add to it. Well, what era did he live in?

I can find The Declaration of Independence online for free, borrow a modern novel by Jeff Shaara called Rise to Rebellion or 1776 by David McCullogh, and buy a book comprised of the letters of Abigail Adams to her husband John Adams. That way I’m enjoying myself with modern writers that are easy to read WHILE ALSO challenging myself with writing that uses vocabulary above 7th grade English. I’ll also be getting a really cool 360 degree view of that time period.

I might get interested in reading some of the thinkers that the people of that time were fascinated by, too. For instance I might google the electrical experiments that fascinated Franklin or the geography of his trips to England.

Basically I immerse myself in a period of time by using a wide variety of books/materials that are all HIGHLY recommended. I look for books that have withstood the test of time, been around for longer than the last ten years (preferably 50+) and then, sprinkle in a couple modern novels to keep things interesting.

Little by little I’m surrounded by the ideas and activity of ppl who changed the world.

The cool thing is when you start recognizing names of ppl and then realize they all hung out together. And they argued about the same crap we argue about today!

Would I say that Benjamin Franklin is one of my role models? Maybe.. maybe not.. but his ideas, his pursuit of invention, his reliance on good habits, etc, etc are remarkably similar to what we discuss in this forum.

Now imagine if you spent every year doing what I just described.. but picking a slightly different era? It’d be one hell of an adventure. And after a few years you’d have a wealth of wisdom to rely on, a solid foundation with which to compare new ideas and new people.

Anyhoo.. dead role models are the best.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
o how do you choose your role models and who is/are your role models?

My role model is @MJ of course. Why else am i on here. :p

Choose a role model that is reputable and has a proven track record and is a genuinely a good human being

Don't be fooled, there are plenty of fakes and scammers who just try to upsell you on educational courses. Be careful when looking for role models, especially on the internet lol.

Others might have achieved the success in the industry that you want, but there is a chance they have graduated into teachables and make there money off that instead. Take caution in that as well.

If your looking at big time players, CEO of fortune 500 companies, these are great role models, but often times unrelatable as they are on another level.

Last edited:

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Someone who is where I want to be in life

Please SEARCH before posting.