The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I stay committed to my decisions?

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Hey Fastlaners! Happy Easter!
Hope everyone is feeling pretty fly. (Insert Jesus Pun Here)
So I personally am having the issue of staying committed to one thing. I like to flip flop, I feel like a kid on the beach that wants to build a sand castle and ends up deep diving off the pier after a fish.
So I can't understand why I do it. Is it a habit of mine to just change ideas, am I a quitter?
I seek the knowledge of you spicy, wisemen.
Cheers!- Grayson. J

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I had that problem too.

It took a while, but I finally picked something I thought I could build and add a little more value to it. Now I just keep plugging away at it little by little day by day.

Once you start making a little bit of progress on it no matter how small, you start to gain some momentum.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Make a decision and stick with it.

Like I could have a genuinely good idea, but can't stick to it as a decision.

What decision bro? Give me a little more to go on here.

Just in one sentence my guess is you haven't actually made a decision.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Do you mean you act this way general? Like you start something then couple of days later you stop doing it or start doing something else instead?

I can relate to that..

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Just start by taking a small step forward with one idea. It's amazing how one little step can give you tremendous momentum.

It's like when you have 10 errands to do and you're just laying in bed thinking about it. It seems insurmountable until you take one small action and all of a sudden you're making progress before you know it.

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona
Make a decision and stick with it.

Like I could have a genuinely good idea, but can't stick to it as a decision.
You're probably getting in your own head and over analyzing. If you make a decision stop thinking of ways it can go wrong or why you shouldn't or can't do it.

If you're looking for the perfect idea you might as well stick to a job because it doesn't matter what you come up with you will always be able to find some con's in literally everything.

The refining process comes LATER. After you've produced.

Next time you think of an idea that you think has some real merit and fills a need put together a list of to do's and do a little market research to see how the market responds. Remember, 'it is not for you to decide whether or not the idea is useful. The marketplace makes that determination.' (Stole that from TMF )

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
Hey Fastlaners! Happy Easter!

Hope everyone is feeling pretty fly. (Insert Jesus Pun Here)

So I personally am having the issue of staying committed to one thing. I like to flip flop, I feel like a kid on the beach that wants to build a sand castle and ends up deep diving off the pier after a fish.

So I can't understand why I do it. Is it a habit of mine to just change ideas, am I a quitter?

I seek the knowledge of you spicy, wisemen.

Cheers!- Grayson. J​

Not that you are a quitter but you don't have strong enough reasons behind you, to go after the result.Make your "WHY" correct and blend it with emotions, you know the pain, use it as you ally.Ask yourself, what future consequence I'd face if I don't achieve the result that I am going after?

Then it is all about busting the butt!

AvocadoMan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 14, 2017
Australia
I have struggled with this really bad but it no longer happens. From my experience it mainly comes from overthinking and not taking enough action. Take enough action and move far enough down the road of a decision and you should stick with it and stop overthinking.

Hope that helps mate! I know exactly how you feel :)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
You are suffering from SOS (Shiny Object Syndrome).

As others have said, you need to progress far enough down one road that other distractions slowly fade away from your consciousness. The only way to do that is to take action on ONE thing, and keep taking action. But make sure that action is worthy of your efforts and takes you forward. We can all be busy fools.

Instagram-ProfoundMeaning.jpg

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
@Spicymemer45 You haven't given a whole lot of information for us to work with, so I'm going to wing it a bit. You might want to try setting specific goals with timeframes. Ex. For one month, I'll work on my business idea to sell horseshoes (ok thanks brain, worst example ever). I'll work on it from 6pm to 8pm every night. By the end of the month, I'll have gotten a website up and running, pitched 500 farmers, and found a manufacturer to get the product from.

Before all that though, you have to dial in your why and make sure it's something you actually care about so you can revisit that purpose throughout. A plan can help you structure your work and stay focused, but if you don't care about the final project then you'll likely not have the motivation to follow through with your plan. Find something important to you, that you really want to work on. It doesn't have to be because you love selling horseshoes, no one cares, but you do need a reason. Maybe it's that you want to build a business very badly. Let that purpose drive you through all the less exciting parts.

If you have a myriad of ideas, pick one that meets somewhere along the axises of 'most achievable' and 'strongest purpose'. If you feel like you can do it and it's important to you, you'll be far more likely to follow through. Easy? Nope. It will likely take some serious reflection, figuring out what you care about and actually want to impact in the world, followed by oodles of work. Don't take it too serious though, just figure out something and start working on it - the details will come together as you go.

Hopefully that helps a touch. Also, I'm working on a framework to overcome these kinds of mental obstacles, so I'd be happy to chat with you more and see if I can be of help. No upsells or any stupid nonsense, just want to keep testing my ideas against real people so I can refine them.

Offer is open to anyone, actually, just message me if you're interested. Best of luck, cheers!

Last edited:

RMarques

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 20, 2013
Toronto
Figure out what your end goal is.
WHY do you want to be an entrepreneur?
What does your life look like as a successful business person?
Put your stake in the ground and focus on that only.
Stop looking at what everyone else is doing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Question: If you make a decision to go to the store and buy something, do you tend to stop half-way?

Or let me put it another way...

When nature comes calling, do you have trouble making the decision to go? Do you make it to the bathroom? If so, why?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Just had to be a mandatory in-closed-door-meeting witness to a reprimand of an employee this morning. I think the conversation might be pertinent.

Boss: You forgot to fix the inventory problem. You could sink this company doing shit like that.
Employee: I'm sorry.
Boss: What happened?
Employee: I just forgot. I had other things that came up.
Boss: Is this not important to you?
Employee: It's very important to me, but I forgot.
Boss: I don't accept that. What's really the problem?
Employee: It is important to me, I just forgot.
Boss: No, see,... that's F*cking bullshit. If your car needed a repair you wouldn't forget would you? It wouldn't slip your mind, would it? You wouldn't wait to do it, would you?
Employee: I guess not.
Boss: So there, deep down, somewhere, it isn't as important to you as your goddamn Jetta.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain