The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Life's a game. Right now I'm playing terribly, at least in my financial skill.

I'm 25 years old. Born in Florida, immigrated to Ontario. Married a Canadian girl. Have an apartment in a metropolitan area. Got a small dog. No debt and no college and no car. Very much in-shape. But I work minimum wage 7 day's a week and have seemingly no marketable skills.

For those of you that are financially successful in life, how would you play my game better? What should I do to level up? My biggest issue is finances.
From reading your progress thread I think your biggest issue is lack of confidence and belief. You have marketable skills already.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
My biggest issue is finances.
Your biggest issue is the bullshit story that you keep telling yourself about why things are the way they are and why you can't change your life for the better.

The lack of money is a mere consequence of your behavior.

What happened to that fitness business idea you talked about in the previous thread? Start taking small steps towards achieving your vision and don't stop until you get the results that you seek.

The only way to achieve your goals is by incremental improvement (progressive overload). And the only one that can help you is you.
You should have learned both of these lessons through your physical training in the gym.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Your biggest issue is the bullshit story that you keep telling yourself about why things are the way they are and why you can't change your life for the better.

The lack of money is a mere consequence of your behavior.

What happened to that fitness business idea you talked about in the previous thread? Start taking small steps towards achieving your vision and don't stop until you get the results that you seek.

The only way to achieve your goals is by incremental improvement (progressive overload). And the only one that can help you is you.
You should have learned both of these lessons through your physical training in the gym.
I'm not sure if you read my last posts in that progress thread, but it gives my reasoning on why I'm led to believe I can't start a fitness business right now. I don't think I'm professional enough to be seen as credible. My offer can't surpass that of my competitors due to simply not being good enough yet.

I actually saw a tweet earlier today by Alex Hormozi that really resonated with me about this topic:
alex.png

I don't think I'm ready is the problem. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'm not led to presently believe so. I'm very ambitious to get started but I don't want to personally brand myself as some inexperienced sham.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Life's a game. Right now I'm playing terribly, at least in my financial skill.

I'm 25 years old. Born in Florida, immigrated to Ontario. Married a Canadian girl. Have an apartment in a metropolitan area. Got a small dog. No debt and no college and no car. Very much in-shape. But I work minimum wage 7 day's a week and have seemingly no marketable skills.

For those of you that are financially successful in life, how would you play my game better? What should I do to level up? My biggest issue is finances.
Just the fact of having no debt is putting you well out in front of a LOT of other people financially, so give yourself credit for that.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I'm not led to presently believe so. I'm very ambitious to get started but I don't want to personally brand myself as some inexperienced sham.
Regardless, you're ahead of SOMEBODY in this area.
  • 10-year-olds who you could inspire to be the best possible version of themselves from an early age.
  • High-school kids with low self-esteem because they're overweight or weak
  • 40+ age bracket who have been sitting at a desk for 20 years and don't have any fitness to speak of
  • 60+ age bracket who are facing fears of falling and losing mobility and not having a body that permits them to do the things they love.
  • ETC etc etc.
Think about who you can help rather than focusing on all the shortcomings that keep you from being "the best of the best."

Help that person.

Get paid.

Repeat.

Tweak and pivot based on what's working and what needs you see.

That's all you have to do.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm not sure if you read my last posts in that progress thread, but it gives my reasoning on why I'm led to believe I can't start a fitness business right now. I don't think I'm professional enough to be seen as credible. My offer can't surpass that of my competitors due to simply not being good enough yet.

I actually saw a tweet earlier today by Alex Hormozi that really resonated with me about this topic:
View attachment 47308

I don't think I'm ready is the problem. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'm not led to presently believe so. I'm very ambitious to get started but I don't want to personally brand myself as some inexperienced sham.
You have no debt and you are currently working for minimum wage. The beauty of your situation is you are unhindered by the negative (debt) and you are unhindered by the positive (comfort, inheritances, luxury).

You have nothing to lose. I would start a sweaty service type business to start making immediate cash. Go read some @Johnny boy style threads. Door knocking, cold calling, direct mail type of stuff. Just do things people need, get paid, expand, provide value, scale, pivot, find the next thing you can give someone and a higher ratchet on the value chain. Immediate action.

No more minimum wage :)

(of course I'm basing this on no knowledge of your skills, you might be a computer or networking whiz which changes everything)

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
It's exactly what I've said in the post above.
This is the story that you keep telling yourself as to why you can't do it and why you are not successful.

There will never be a time when anyone can say "I'm fully ready for this". You will never be ready.
Successful people just start doing what they want, without asking for permission.

It's you life, your responsibility.
If you choose to be the person that is "not ready yet" or "can't do it because...", you will get the results of that person. Which means no results. Not now, not in 10 years.

Be careful who you chose to be. You will have to live with the consequences.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

View attachment 47308

You're doing people a disservice by focusing on you rather than who you can serve.

So you found one single tweet that backs up how you think. Personally I disagree with it. I was helping coach kids with hurling. I've never played it in my life but I could figure out what the other coaches were saying and help the kids follow it.

I've written tonnes of posts with stories to show people how to get over themselves by focusing on helping others. I'm curious if you've read them and if so what your feedback is.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

There will never be a time when anyone can say "I'm fully ready for this". You will never be ready.
Successful people just start doing what they want, without asking for permission.

It's you life, your responsibility.
If you choose to be the person that is "not ready yet" or "can't do it because...", you will get the results of that person. Which means no results. Not now, not in 10 years.

Be careful who you chose to be. You will have to live with the consequences.
I do feel that there will come a time when I feel ready. Likely 1.5-2 years.

Ultimately I'm wasting you guys' time with my repeated asking so I'll stop. It comes down to my mindset and I just don't feel ready enough to take action.

I'm expecting to be back in 1.5-2 years in the same spot but ready to start.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
well put!

By doing, you get the experience you need AFTER you needed it. ;)

As much as it sucks, how deeply uncomfortable it is to be doing things when you are “not ready”, it’s the only way. Business is providing solutions to problems. If there already existed a solution, there would be no problem. Many create products and then look for problems to solve, that’s backwards (often driven by “passion” bullshit). Solving problems means doing new things, or doing better etc. Regardless, most of us hardly ever feel we are fully equipped to handle it and are “ready”. We just try, then tinker and try again until it works. Only when successful we are finally ”ready” for what we had just accomplished.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
have seemingly no marketable skills.
You already know what to do.

**"Knowning-doing gap"**
Jeffrey Pfeffer and Robert Sutton describe the experience of knowing the best thing to do, but doing something else anyway as a "knowing-doing gap". Buddhists call it "resistance".

One reason for this self sabotage is seeking comfort. Humans are hard wired to seek comfort for survival. But to move past this resistance, we have to alter our mindset on discomfort. Focus on what you are giving up in the future. What kind of discomfort will you experience in the future if you don't do the work now?

• If you had to live today on repeat, for the rest of your life - where would it get you?
  • What kind of life would you live?
  • Would you be happy with the outcome?
  • Would you love your life?

You already know what to do…

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Ultimately I'm wasting you guys' time with my repeated asking so I'll stop. It comes down to my mindset and I just don't feel ready enough to take action.

What will have changed in 1.5-2 years? What will you actively do to get yourself to the point where you feel ready enough to take action?

G

Guest931Xfjyx

What will have changed in 1.5-2 years? What will you actively do to get yourself to the point where you feel ready enough to take action?
I will have built up my reputation and physique as a bodybuilder, likely competed in a show or two (hopefully winning), and I'll have a great deal more people asking for my help without me even offering it.

I feel like starting now is picking a fruit that isn't fully ripe.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately I'm attempting to generate an income from personally branding myself through my passion (bodybuilding) which I know building a business around a passion is discouraged here as it doesn't necessarily solve a pain in the greater world and is me-focused.

Regardless, that's what I'd like to do, and that I know I could play a long-term game in. I'm familiar with the CENTS principle, and comprehend that ideally I should create a time-independent recurring business model, but there are plenty of ways to make money in bodybuilding:
1. Online monthly coaching
2. Sponsorships
3. Starting your own supplement company or fitness clothing brand
4. Starting a paid forum like TFF
5. Youtube ad-revenue and affiliate sales

Along with many more...

I don't have have high financial aspirations either. I could live pretty modestly and be completely happy. Ultimately I want freedom. I don't want an employer to tell me what to do. I see this as completely achievable knowing it will take time.

I even broke-down how many customers I would have to have for online monthly coaching to quit my 9-to-5 job entirely:
0 client(s) a month = $0 from clients = $3000 from job = 7 day(s) of work
1 client(s) a month = $269 from clients = $2731 from job = 7 day(s) of work
2 client(s) a month = $538 from clients = $2462 from job = 6 day(s) of work
3 client(s) a month = $807 from clients = $2193 from job = 6 day(s) of work
4 client(s) a month = $1076 from clients = $1924 from job = 5 day(s) of work
5 client(s) a month = $1345 from clients = $1655 from job = 4 day(s) of work
6 client(s) a month = $1614 from clients = $1386 from job = 4 day(s) of work
7 client(s) a month = $1883 from clients = $1117 from job = 3 day(s) of work
8 client(s) a month = $2152 from clients = $848 from job = 2 day(s) of work
9 client(s) a month = $2421 from clients = $579 from job = 2 day(s) of work
10 client(s) a month = $2690 from clients = $310 from job = 1 day(s) of work
11 client(s) a month = $2959 from clients = $41 from job = 1 day(s) of work
12 client(s) a month = $3228 from clients = $0 from job = 0 day(s) of work

But again, there's more ways to make money in the sport than just coaching.

Maybe I could do something else in the meantime whilst I improve for these 2 years?

I'm not sure.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I will have built up my reputation and physique as a bodybuilder, likely competed in a show or two (hopefully winning), and I'll have a great deal more people asking for my help without me even offering it.

Ultimately I'm attempting to generate an income from personally branding myself through my passion (bodybuilding) which I know building a business around a passion is discouraged here as it doesn't necessarily solve a pain in the greater world and is me-focused.

Regardless, that's what I'd like to do, and that I know I could play a long-term game in. I'm familiar with the CENTS principle, and comprehend that ideally I should create a time-independent recurring business model, but there are plenty of ways to make money in bodybuilding:
2. Sponsorships

Along with many more...

I don't have have high financial aspirations either. I could live pretty modestly and be completely happy. Ultimately I want freedom. I don't want an employer to tell me what to do. I see this as completely achievable knowing it will take time.

I even broke-down how many customers I would have to have for online monthly coaching to quit my 9-to-5 job entirely:

Maybe I could do something else in the meantime whilst I improve for these 2 years?

I'm not sure.

Start off with in person coaching. It's much, much easier to get started locally in person than it is online. Make a short video and use FB ads, hire door to door flyer delivery etc. Think of a few options - group boot camp class, one-2-one coaching, diet plans etc.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
To me, it sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Just go help people get fit and get paid for it lol.

Let's say I'm in the market for a trainer. I'm not looking to hire someone who is the absolute best bodybuilder ever. And I honestly don't give a damn about how many competitions you won.

I want a trainer because they will help me get in shape, create and stick to a diet plan that works for me, knows more than me about fitness, can help me achieve my goals, etc. Stop thinking about yourself and your insecurities and start thinking about your customer and their problems.

Sure, winning that stuff helps you skew value and might help you win extra clients or charge more. But you can start right now without all that. As Andy says, just go help people.

As long as you know more than the person you're helping, you're good. And, based on your post, you probably know a lot more than the average person. You could help a lot of people with the knowledge you currently have right now.

Remember, even the world's #1 bodybuilder Hadi Choopan has a coach. The value isn't in your coach/trainer being the best themselves, but in how much they can help you (the customer) achieve your goals.

Hadi's coach, for example, has never won a professional bodybuilding title himself but has trained bodybuilders who have won 22 Olympian titles in total. He didn't have to win the title to become a legendary coach, so why would you?

Just go help people achieve their goals and adjust your approach as you learn more. It really is that simple.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
but it gives my reasoning on why I'm led to believe I can't start a fitness business right now.
I don't think I'm professional enough to be seen as credible.
My offer can't surpass that of my competitors due to simply not being good enough yet.

The only way to get better is to start, and you won't ever do that with this mindset.
Sitting on the bench isn't getting better, it is just sitting on the bench.

Get in the game and start playing to win.

Your customers don't want you to be the best - they want themselves to be the best.
You are focusing on the wrong thing. They need your help, so get going right now!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Dude, you were the one that asked the question, What would you do to level up? And people answered and you're like, "Nah, that's not it". This is a case of not liking the answer. Did you expect us to say, go read XXX book or learn to do XXX?

Why would you expect to be ready in 1.5-2 years? What kind of experience do you expect to gain during this time that would make you ready.

Edit: Just read your answer post. So the main difference is that you will look better and have some competition wins under your belt.

But you listed these:
2. Sponsorships

I'd say 1 and 5 you can do now. 2 maybe after some competition, or after 5. Probably wouldn't suggest 3 or 4.

G

Guest116255

2. Sponsorships

Along with many more...

I'm not sure.
I am unsure how fit (or unfit) you are. That said, wouldn't people be more inclined to purchase your content if they saw you go from skinny to buff? The posts above are right, you are putting too much focus on yourself. I understand you want to personally brand yourself, but lets be real here, how many fitness gurus are there on apps like Instagram? I do not want to cut your wings but you better be ready to stand out in a field like this. Furthermore, I am sure you know that many people who arent "buff" can get easily intimidated by those who are, or those who have years of experience at the gym. So I think that by being modestly fit, and posting a transformation for people to see (and then possibly sell the procedure of that transformation) is much better. Here you can not only brand yourself, but also sell your transformation to both beginners and those looking to improve their workouts. By selling a transformation, you are showing that any average man can become buff. But out of all of this, focus on who you will serve, and why they will want to be your customers. All of this I am sure can be done now.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

I am unsure how fit (or unfit) you are. That said, wouldn't people be more inclined to purchase your content if they saw you go from skinny to buff? The posts above are right, you are putting too much focus on yourself. I understand you want to personally brand yourself, but lets be real here, how many fitness gurus are there on apps like Instagram? I do not want to cut your wings but you better be ready to stand out in a field like this. Furthermore, I am sure you know that many people who arent "buff" can get easily intimidated by those who are, or those who have years of experience at the gym. So I think that by being modestly fit, and posting a transformation for people to see (and then possibly sell the procedure of that transformation) is much better. Here you can not only brand yourself, but also sell your transformation to both beginners and those looking to improve their workouts. By selling a transformation, you are showing that any average man can become buff. But out of all of this, focus on who you will serve, and why they will want to be your customers. All of this I am sure can be done now.

I appreciate the comment.

Ultimately, many of you are right, this all falls on my mindset. I probably could start now but I don't feel ready yet. I'm focusing on my ego rather than helping people less knowledgeable. I'm confident that I'm in better shape than most men will ever be in their lifetime, but even then, I don't feel good enough to start.

I don't offer a perceived value exchange better than or equal to my competitors in online fitness coaching.

The whole reason I want to give this another 2 years before starting is to do exactly as you've mentioned. I want to stand out. I cannot presently do that, at least not well. Additionally not worried about intimidating anyone. If anything, that would be the goal I have. We can disagree, but I'd rather be intimidatingly in-shape and muscular than slightly above average. Fully convinced the extreme sells greater to a larger market, even if I'm not promising them my personal results but instead better results than they presently have.

Overall, you're right. I probably can start now. It's my mindset stopping me. I don't feel ready. Hate the slowlane, but just comfortable enough to continue tolerating it. Every part of me wants to wait 2 years before I start, it would be far more conducive to the personal branding I wish for my name to represent. Ego again. My fault. This probably can be done now.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I appreciate the comment.

Ultimately, many of you are right, this all falls on my mindset. I probably could start now but I don't feel ready yet. I'm focusing on my ego rather than helping people less knowledgeable. I'm confident that I'm in better shape than most men will ever be in their lifetime, but even then, I don't feel good enough to start.

I don't offer a perceived value exchange better than or equal to my competitors in online fitness coaching.

The whole reason I want to give this another 2 years before starting is to do exactly as you've mentioned. I want to stand out. I cannot presently do that, at least not well. Additionally not worried about intimidating anyone. If anything, that would be the goal I have. We can disagree, but I'd rather be intimidatingly in-shape and muscular than slightly above average. Fully convinced the extreme sells greater to a larger market, even if I'm not promising them my personal results but instead better results than they presently have.

Overall, you're right. I probably can start now. It's my mindset stopping me. I don't feel ready. Hate the slowlane, but just comfortable enough to continue tolerating it. Every part of me wants to wait 2 years before I start, it would be far more conducive to the personal branding I wish for my name to represent. Ego again. My fault. This probably can be done now.
You might be in better physical shape in two years, but will your mindset be any different if you don't start helping people now?

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
You might be in better physical shape in two years, but will your mindset be any different if you don't start helping people now?
And to piggyback on this, as someone who has never had a personal trainer, I would actually want to seek out someone who is more "relatable" as opposed to an absolutely elite athlete. Kind of like if I was first learning chess, it'd not necessarily be helpful to be taught by a grandmaster of the game.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

And to piggyback on this, as someone who has never had a personal trainer, I would actually want to seek out someone who is more "relatable" as opposed to an absolutely elite athlete. Kind of like if I was first learning chess, it'd not necessarily be helpful to be taught by a grandmaster of the game.

I think most people would choose a grandmaster chess tutor with a history of competitive wins, rather than a moderately skilled chess player with no competitive titles. Especially if they were charging the same price.

I'm glad you brought up that analogy. It's exactly why I'm so hesitant to start right now.

Overall:
1. I don't wish to associate my real-life name with mediocre skill (yes this is my ego talking)
2. I'm the obviously worse choice in comparison, unless I compete in price, which seems like a race-to-the-bottom
3. Acknowledge that I'm trying to monetize a passion. There is endless competition for this. I better be damn good

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
@MJ DeMarco / Mods, I nominate all the valuable input that has been shared with @JLE, starting with this post, to be moved to his progress thread [here] where I think it will all make more sense in context and be more valuable for other readers who might find themselves in a similar situation.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland

You said your working minimum wage. In what industry? This is a great chance to accept another job from the bottom and learn a skill that could be transferable to a business. There's a reason you don't have the confidence to do it and it's because you got nothing to back yourself up right now, you got no previous wins in your mind as a track record.

Switch to a job where you can learn a skill or trade while your living. Painting? Flooring? Carpentry? Plumbing? Electrician? Arborist? Sales?

You can continue to work out and work on your business while also learning a valuable skill.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Why are you so focused on that particular business? Does the world really need another online coach who's just following his passion? Can you find a real problem that needs to be solved and start doing it right now?

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I'm a bit invested in this topic now, and after reading through the whole progress thread, it sort of hurts me on the inside to see the massive mindset obstacles that are in play.

I don't know if I can do anything to break you out of those hurdles, @JLE - but I am sending you these thoughts with nothing but love and desire for your wellbeing and prosperity...even if some of this comes across as "tough love." (Plus, in a way, I'm preaching to myself in what I'm saying, as I get hung up on these exact same obstacles.)

The main thing I see holding you back is fear.

The second main issue I see is that you are trying to skip immediately to step 10 without doing steps 1-9. It doesn't work that way.

I'll tell you exactly what I would like to do. This is my list of action-fakes, that take time, but could eventually result in an income from online coaching/bodybuilding:
Continue physically building myself as a bodybuilder
2. Once built sufficiently, compete in a bodybuilding competition and hopefully place well
3. Advertise myself online as a bodybuilder on Instagram, possibly Youtube, and possibly TikTok
4. Be helpful and acquire a following in the bodybuilding and fitness niche
5. Acquire in-bound clients from my online following as a bodybuilder

That's the plan I have in mind.
Notice that nowhere on this list is "get a client." Why not? Because that's where the rubber meets the road. That's the scary thing. But it is 100% the thing you're going to have to face. The earlier you face it, get used to it, and stop feeling daunted by it, the sooner you'll make progress.

I don't think I'm professional enough to be seen as credible.
But yet you've had people notice you at the gym and ask for tips, and you've been comfortable sharing value for free.

What would stop you from helpfully giving them tip they asked for, and then confidently saying, "If you're interested in more strategic work together, I do private sessions for $XXX/hour. Let me know if you're ever interested!" What if you made this statement to 15 people a day for the next month while you put your business card in their hand? Do you think some of them would take you up on it? I guarantee you they would! And all of a sudden you'd stop making minimum wage and you'd be paid for work you actually enjoy.

Selling yourself is scary, but you'd find out that you're already credible to enough people to get income flowing in. And as you grow, you'll refine your target client and the level person you can help.

This sounds like "I'm scared to start now." We already have evidence of a previous 2-year hiatus in this exact thread. Why will things be any different in the next two years?

But you're like a person waiting for fully-ripe tomatoes in a container where you've never even put a seed.

You're trying to skip steps. You want to go straight from zero to "having a fully-scaled up business and client-acquisition system on autopilot."

I'll have a great deal more people asking for my help without me even offering it.
This is a fallacy. You already have people asking for your help without you offering it, and you're selling them exactly nothing.

If you examine this deeply, what does it come down to?
- Is it because you're uncomfortable charging money for your work?
- Is it because you can't justify to yourself why your service is worth money?
- Is it because you feel like others are worthy of charging for their service but not you?
- Is it because charging for your service conflicts with some aspect of your identity?
- Is it because there's a fear of someone important to you ridiculing your efforts if you fail?

Let's imagine you do take the two years and get yourself into Olympic-level shape. And yet, you still don't know how to sell because you haven't been practicing that for the past two years. You know what that's going to look like? It's going to be identical to that UNICORN coder who knows all the languages, front end, back end, databases, UI, UX, you name it - and yet they're stuck working for a corporation because they have no idea how to get clients. Don't do this to yourself.

I probably could start now but I don't feel ready yet.
Feelings are dictating your decision here. Are you able to take your feelings in hand and stop allowing them to steer your decisions?

I don't feel ready. Hate the slowlane, but just comfortable enough to continue tolerating it. Every part of me wants to wait 2 years before I start, it would be far more conducive to the personal branding I wish for my name to represent.
This sounds like "selling my services sounds scarier than continuing to make minimum wage." You're striking a deal with yourself to settle for this 7-day-a-week employment situation where you're NOT FREE, when you have it in your grasp to DO THIS RIGHT NOW.

You're gambling with your body. What if you get an injury next month?

You're not facing the price you have to pay for this to ever work out.

The price you have to pay for those first few clients is...
- Pounding heart
- Sweaty palms
- Racing mind
- Feeling uncomfortable
- Stammering with your words
- Wanting to sink into the floor
- Feeling like an idiot

What everyone in this thread is rooting for you to do is look at that price tag and say, "DEAL."

When you think about it, all of those things literally add up to $0.00!

So why would you shrink back from that? You have what it takes to pay that price. You just have to choose it.

Because what you GET in return for that price tag is...
- Total elation - SOMEONE SAID YES!!!! I DID THIS!
- One seed planted towards those eventual gorgeous ripe tomatoes
- One client at a time
- Building your reputation
- Establishing yourself as a trusted name
- Freedom and respect

You've got this!

DOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTT. :clap::

I don't wish to associate my real-life name with mediocre skill
Here's a quick story for you. I started teaching piano lessons at the age of 15. I wasn't a concert pianist then, and I am not one now. But guess what? Parents were happy to pay me 4x minimum wage for me teach their 7-year-olds what I knew. And they LOVED me because I was able to break down piano for their kids in a way that kept it easy and fun. That's all that mattered to them. My name wasn't associated with mediocre skill - to my students minds, my name was associated with unlocking the ability to play an instrument, and they saw themselves as cool and accomplished and empowered because of it.

Here's another quick story for you. I started a workout class last April. The coach just leads us in exercises that we can do with a jump rope, kettlebell, and yoga mat. Literally that's all the equipment we have. Everything else is bodyweight exercises. I have no idea what my instructor's credentials are. Do you know why I HAPPILY pay for the class every month? Because there's a class twice a week, I show up, I'm told what to do, and simply by doing what I'm told, I'm getting stronger. That's it. It's dead simple.

Having a reputable name means...
- You follow through with your word
- You present yourself authentically
- You don't promise what you can't deliver

Just be authentic with who you ARE and let people choose you for the CURRENT version of you, not the hypothetical one two years from now.

And two years from now, when you're bigger and better and badder, if you attract a whole different caliber of client at that point, great! But on that hypothetically future day, you'll look back and realize that you're relying on every single detail of learning how to serve clients that you started in 2023 and have been doing all this time.

Practice on the easier clients now, the ones who DON'T demand an Olympic-level coach. Get glowing testimonials because they love their body and the way you've helped them to achieve better things for themselves. And then solve the problem of being a bigger business that attracts higher-caliber clients WHEN YOU GET TO THAT POINT.

Fitness is an industry where there's money to be made.

Don't look at the competition who is ahead of you as a threat to your success.

Look at the fact that there is competition out there as proof that there's money to be made.

G

Guest931Xfjyx

Just be authentic with who you ARE and let people choose you for the CURRENT version of you, not the hypothetical one two years from now.
Thank you for your kind words.

It took me a moment to synthesize what's been going on in this community, but all of you are beyond helpful and encouraging. ZCP was willing to do a 45-minute call with me and encourages first-sales to happen within the community, Andy repeatedly hammers on that I need to "just help people," and you've clearly done a thorough perusing of what I've said here over the years. There's been countless others here endeavoring to get me to cast away my excuses and to just start.

All of you are coming from a good place, and even if I amount to nothing here I still appreciate the encouragement. I unfortunately think I'm going to have to do this in a way in which I'm comfortable. Namely, in 2 years from now.

Why?
Because I'm a fool, because I'm hardheaded, because I like to waste time, because I've found catharsis in menial minimum-wage work that allows me to live paycheck to paycheck. Choose your pick.

I'm not ready. I genuinely think I will be in 2 years from now. I understand what I need to do. I have failed many of my previous business attempts due to losing interest. I work at the business hard, fail repeatedly, and quit. But bodybuilding is different for me. I have been interested in this sport before I was even a teenager. I can play this game until my old age and will do so. I am certain that I will be successful in this endeavor. At the least to what I would consider success. But it will take time, and I will have to do it my way.

I'm sorry to disappoint you all. I will be back with a success story but it isn't soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
This community is AMAZING! You received so many good answers and strategies, I can't express how appreciative I am to be here on this forum, and this is not even my thread lol. You actually recieved for FREE so many insights, it seems like they all want to help you more than you want to help yourself.

You said that you will come back after two years. Why not 3,4? You speak so much about the future and it is not even real. The only real thing is right NOW. If you want a better future, you must have a better now.

Also, you are what you practice. And in all the replies you practiced the delay strategy. Since you are what you practice, in these 2 years you will become very good at delaying things.

Just my two cents.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
This community is AMAZING! You received so many good answers and strategies, I can't express how appreciative I am to be here on this forum, and this is not even my thread lol. You actually recieved for FREE so many insights, it seems like they all want to help you more than you want to help yourself.

You said that you will come back after two years. Why not 3,4? You speak so much about the future and it is not even real. The only real thing is right NOW. If you want a better future, you must have a better now.

Also, you are what you practice. And in all the replies you practiced the delay strategy. Since you are what you practice, in these 2 years you will become very good at delaying things.

Just my two cents.
In 2 years time, he'll be 2 years behind every one who started today.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you for your kind words.

It took me a moment to synthesize what's been going on in this community, but all of you are beyond helpful and encouraging. ZCP was willing to do a 45-minute call with me and encourages first-sales to happen within the community, Andy repeatedly hammers on that I need to "just help people," and you've clearly done a thorough perusing of what I've said here over the years. There's been countless others here endeavoring to get me to cast away my excuses and to just start.

All of you are coming from a good place, and even if I amount to nothing here I still appreciate the encouragement. I unfortunately think I'm going to have to do this in a way in which I'm comfortable. Namely, in 2 years from now.

Why?
Because I'm a fool, because I'm hardheaded, because I like to waste time, because I've found catharsis in menial minimum-wage work that allows me to live paycheck to paycheck. Choose your pick.

I'm not ready. I genuinely think I will be in 2 years from now. I understand what I need to do. I have failed many of my previous business attempts due to losing interest. I work at the business hard, fail repeatedly, and quit. But bodybuilding is different for me. I have been interested in this sport before I was even a teenager. I can play this game until my old age and will do so. I am certain that I will be successful in this endeavor. At the least to what I would consider success. But it will take time, and I will have to do it my way.

I'm sorry to disappoint you all. I will be back with a success story but it isn't soon.
Just two things:

1) When you're working out over the next two years and someone asks if you can give them tips, do it. If they ask if they can pay you for more tips, say Yes.

2) Don't beat yourself up. You're maybe not ready because it doesn't hurt bad enough.

I'm reminded of this thread:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.