The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have we finally decided to retire?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Sunday night (actually Monday morning) about 2am we were laying in bed talking and had decided to finally do it..... let's move to the Navarre, Florida area and retire. We need something right on the beach, not even 1 block away if we are going to do this! She could be on the beach all the time, I could be involved in the 2 race tracks in the area and they have a good auction we could go to on a regular basis. And, I could bikini watch all day..... <<< I might have left this part out of our conversation :innocent: :halo:

Fast forward to 7:45am Monday morning as she was getting ready for work and we were both like...... it's a nice dream but we know we would be bored of that life within 1 month. Heck, I couldn't even spend 1 week in Miami a few months ago. lol I'm fairly certain we will never be the retiring type but it was a good dream for a few hours.

So how about you? REALISTICALLY, could you really retire and not work again?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I think knowing MJ's definition of "semi-retired" could probably be interesting in this topic. It could also be the way to go for you.

I don't want to say anything because I frankly have no clear idea what he means and don't want to spread wrong information.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
So how about you? REALISTICALLY, could you really retire and not work again?

Not really. What a waste of life :) I would go for those crazy projects that would probably make little money but give high satisfaction if I could "retire".

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
Fast forward to 7:45am Monday morning as she was getting ready for work and we were both like...... it's a nice dream but we know we would be bored of that life within 1 month.

I love to travel. I could definitely hang out on a beach, in the mountains, or in a new city for a while. Fastlane represents something different for me, though, than retirement. My job has a retirement that will put food on the table and have health care, but I know myself, and a life of subsisting is not my goal. For me, fastlane doesn't necessarily mean not working anymore. It means the freedom to spend my days doing what I want, not what someone else dictates. Before and after I retire from my job, I will pursue fastlane until I succeed.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@Jeff Noel, Thanks for raising the subject of semi retirement. I guess that's my situation.

I am well past retirement age, but I keep going. I will retire with my boots on. By "retire" I really mean die.

I cannot imagine total retirement. It's true I love my gardening, and watching the livestock grazing next to our garden fence, but I could not just sit and do nothing.

As it is my brain is continually at work and I love solving problems. In my role on the forum I can put that to good use and enjoy myself in the process.

In case any are thinking seriously about lazing away their days on the beach, this study by Dr. Charles H. Hennekens of Harvard Medical School is worth considering: He said: “We found an 80 percent higher rate of death from coronary disease among those in a study who had retired compared with those who had not.”

Walter

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
“We found an 80 percent higher rate of death from coronary disease among those in a study who had retired compared with those who had not.”

There's something to be said for "valued responsibility". I think Jordan Peterson coined that one.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
In case any are thinking seriously about lazing away their days on the beach, this study by Dr. Charles H. Hennekens of Harvard Medical School is worth considering: He said: “We found an 80 percent higher rate of death from coronary disease among those in a study who had retired compared with those who had not.”
The heart disease could be a result of too much lazing.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
It would probably be more like semi-retired. 30% work and 70% fun.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
They-say-the-number-one-killer-of-old-people-is-retirement.-People-got-a-job-to-do-they-tend-to-live-a-little-bit-longer-so-they-can-do-it.jpg

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
The heart disease could be a result of too much lazing.
That's very likely to be a major factor. Despite my arthritis I exercise twice a week, with a treadmill, small weights, large rubber bands etc....

I also exercise my brain. When I fill the car with fuel, I calculate MPG in my head. My dash computer display will tell me, but that's for the lazy or retired.

Diet and mental attitude also help. Just lazing around makes people prone to boredom snacking, and it dulls mental sharpness.

Walter

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Personally, I am already semi retired and have been for awhile.... it's my wife that won't give up the 9-5 and all the travel! She is the one that needs the structure of a job. She isn't the type that wants to work on her own. She does keep my books for me for the washer & dryer business but I have another lady that does my over-all books and takes care of all of that type of thing for me. My wife could just do that and stay busy if we were to move to Florida, but she won't. Although I love the weather here in Texas, I am not a fan of the DFW metroplex but we are stuck here because she loves her job. I guess that's what I'd like more than anything.... get the hell outa here! I was talking to my buddies today and I think since none of us are involved with race cars on a day to day basis any longer, we are going to travel on atleast one 4 day weekend per month. Maybe that will help....

So let's dream for you since we are here.... what type of semi retirement would you do, if you haven't already answered.......

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
If I ended up with arthritis or something like that, so I couldn't play guitar, I would write more. I'd probably go into philosophy part time - writing for journals and having a blog. It's something I intend to do anyway once I have a few other things taken care of in my life!

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I think this also differentiates FL people from other people. It always amazed me how people in their 20s are calculating how much their pension will be and counting down the days when they can retire.

And then what?

Sometimes I wonder if people would change their lives if one day they would discard pensions (or rather if governments can't pay it anymore). Most see this as the ultimate finish line towards ultimate freedom.

I'd rather create a life I never want to retire from.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.