The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have any of you used anti-depressants?

Anything related to matters of the mind

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
I read these posts on this forum and see how happy most of you are, I see the encouragement for others that you give, this attitude that completely radiates hopefulness.

No matter how hard I try I cannot attain this, naturally - at least.

Have any of you used any type of anti-depressants to change your mindset?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
I read these posts on this forum and see how happy most of you are, I see the encouragement for others that you give, this attitude that completely radiates hopefulness.

No matter how hard I try I cannot attain this, naturally - at least.

Have any of you used any type of anti-depressants to change your mindset?

Okay, a few things. Let me preface by saying I've never used anti-depressants so my viewpoint is not first hand. But...

You must understand that what you see on this forum is not always real life. You'll see a mix of lowlights and highlights, but believe me when I say for every single motivated, happy poster you may read, there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than originally meets the eye.

Nobody goes through entrepreneurship (or any craft which they commit themselves to for that matter) without struggling the whole time. Paradoxically, the struggle is what keeps them growing and moving in a forward direction.

Forums are akin to other social medias. Albeit there is more rawness and depth here than Facebook, but you're seeing a lot of the wins, and conveniently missing a lot of losses. What you're seeing from posters on here is only a very small percentage of people who're actually viewing the forum. That's not to say that people here aren't happy and genuinely motivated, because they are, it's to say there is more to it than you realize.

Now as far as anti-depressants go, they are not something that should be taken likely. Anti-depressants don't make people happy. And they come with serious side effects and dependancies. They help clinically depressed people get back to baseline, or somewhere between where they are and baseline, so they can attempt to do the regular heavy lifting of life by themselves again. Unless you're clinically depressed, which I highly doubt you are, I would drop this particular question right now.

If you lack motivation, drive and purpose right now, you're probably struggling from situational sadness or (and I use this hesitantly) situational depression. But for this, the only remedy is getting yourself back out of the hole through productivity and development.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've tried just about every class of antidepressants there is. The only one that worked for me was one that also gave me some pretty bad side effects. The worst of the bunch made me quite suicidal.

Since then, I've been working through cognitive behavioral therapy - on my own, with friends and family and with a counselor. That, and only that, is working for me - after decades of struggling with depression.

Antidepressants usually have side effects, and when they work also need to be combined with professional counseling to maximize their long term benefit.

If you think you're depressed (you sound like you are with how you phrase things), please seek professional counseling. Your best thinking got you depressed. You won't be able to think your way out of it.

ButchSchlong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 26, 2019
Knutsford, UK
I am currently taking antidepressants, they have thier uses and benefits. However, as @Jon L said, they also have some pretty severe mental side effects which can differ radically from person to person.

From my experience, I believe that antidepressants can alleviate the symptoms of depression, anxiety and a number of other mental problems, what they don't do is get to and resolve the true root cause of why you feel the way you do.

(This is just my 2c, I'm not a doctor so please don't take this as medical advice)

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm from Australia, where medication and opiates etc etc are nowhere near as prevalent as in the states. I was kinda horrified to hear American friends of mine over the years detail the stuff they have been on.

My mother has been on anti depressants for as long as I've known. I never remember her not taking them, or whatever the hell was in that pill cocktail doctors subscribed her.

25 years later and she managed to swap them out for counselling and therapy, which actually worked.

Maybe they help some people, but they ruined her life if you ask me. Maybe she should have been more responsible for helself, but I still hate the stuff. I have some depression now, always have, since about 13, but I don't think I'll ever be taking pills.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
Anti-depressants are only good for experimentally kick-starting hormone levels. Never use them long term.
With that said, I dont see the same happy people you're talking about. I see people struggling, ranting, walking through the desert of desertion with little help. They just see the light in the end, and thats why they do what they hate, untill they can do what they love.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I do on the daily along with anti anxiety medication since 2017. It depends on whether your BODY needs it or not, and it also depends on whether they work for you like @Jon L said. My combo has worked since day 1, but it's not a magic pill. I've been also going to therapy for a year or so longer than that. The antidepressants take away my suicidal ideation (it sounds worse than it is, it's just like having a song stuck in your head rather than really planning to kill myself, so nobody worry) and my anti anxiety takes away my 24/7 fight/flight response chest pains/anxiety flares. Luckily enough I don't really have side effects except if I take them too late (I take them with dinner) I'll be too sleepy in the morning. But like with birth control and anything that affects hormones or similar some people have to try different ones to find one that works.

But ON TOP of that the therapy work is what helps me with the mindset, trying to stay on top of my meditation, challenging distorted thinking, making sure I'm socializing and not hermiting it every day of the week, etc. Some people don't need the medication, the therapy is enough. Get a full blood test, hormones and stuff, then I'd say step 2 try a few therapy sessions, like 5. They will help you figure out what's up and whether the meds could help or are overkill and unnecessary.

As with many things it's nice to think a pill will just make everything better but it's not always like that. Get checked first, go to a few therapy sessions and tell a professional what's up in your head, why you think you're down, where you think you're stuck, that will give you much more clarity on what the route to take may be.

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
Thank you guys for all of the great replies, I truly do appreciate them and am reading them over and over.

I've had an account on here in the past and I don't really... act like the people on here. I am either always side tracked, not intelligent enough to concoct a business model like even some of the most simplistic ones on here, or even have the sheer drive and hopefulness to get things done.

That's why I posted this thread. Bipolar? Depressed? Very, Very easily distracted?

I just see so many inspiring, intelligent, unbelievably determined people on here that have seemingly omitted the word "impossible" from their vocabulary. It's not that I think they're wrong, but that I'd love to have that confidence that some of you possess, even in the lowest form.

That's why I say a lot of this seems to be genetics, let me explain.

I have a buddy that works his a$$ off, I mean to a point where it is his life work and his company has brought in over 1 mil this year. He's a young guy. The thing is though, is that no matter how hard I work I fail and he succeeds. Why? He has the business mindset. He was born with it. From the first day I met the guy he just ... "gets it". He understands what people want, he understands why markets function the way they do and I'm sitting here like a drooling imbecile trying to comprehend stuff that comes to him inherently. Does that sound like a cop out? Absolutely, but I am not stretching this truth. The guy just understands business and marketing. He doesn't study it, he doesn't read about it or pay for courses. He has just always had this knack for knowing what people want and is unstoppably(?) profitable.

Sorry for the rant, this forum inspires me and overwhelms at the same time.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@NotAnotherUser11

Do you believe you have control over your mind?

Is your mind silent more often than it is not?

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
Unfortunately what you're describing in your last post is most people. There are very few who "make it" onto the fastlane. That's because it's hard, and us human's have a natural tendency to follow the path of least resistance... I.e. be lazy.

At the very least your thoughts show some level of self awareness.

I'm sure some people are born with a knack for entrepreneurship... After all, an entrepreneur is just a set of traits. I believe entrepreneurship begins with curiosity, belief, persistence, and intellect.

I look back at my clueless, 16 year old self sometimes. I was just curious, and believed it (I didn't even know what) could be done. Plus I had a brain that functioned (and not crazy sharp by any means).

But 8 years later, with persistence, brutal honesty and continuous failures... I know my shit.

I really think if you're asking these questions then you're a step ahead of most, and have the core traits needed to hone the craft.

Anyway, I digress. If you're seriously worried about depression, speak to a professional. Nobody can diagnose you here with any level of certainty.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I take a heavy prescription of the following

Making money
Traveling
Working out
Sex with cute girls
Living on a lake
Doing what I love daily
Meeting fun people who share interests
Accomplishing goals
Driving too fast
Learning new things constantly
Taking responsibility for how I feel at all times

Try the above first before you move to other antidepressants.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I have racing thoughts. I am always thinking. Nothing ever just "is".

Gets tiring doesn't it. When I was like this, I could never really relax. Hard to relax when your mind never shuts the f*** up.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
Gets tiring doesn't it. When I was like this, I could never really relax. Hard to relax when your mind never shuts the f*** up.

Yes, one thing I get hung up on is that I am always thinking in the past. Why didn't I invest in Tesla, why didn't I put money here or there? I don't have that confidence that I see so many people have where they take pride in being ballsy. I really think that, that's a key trait. Having the balls to do things... of course with a fair amount of calculation too.

D

Deleted74396

I tried several but they all made me more depressed and most made me apathetic.

Nothing has helped me as much as talking (not to a professional, I don't have that sort of money lol) and reading books and consciously making an effort to hold myself accountable for my thoughts and actions.

When depressed thoughts come into my head I usually question them now. When the physical effects and feelings of depression hit I take a nap, read a book, listen to a podcast or sing and dance to my favourite music. Even if I don't feel like it, even if my mood tells me it won't help.

I know things will get better for you op! You'll find what works for you. Just talking about how you feel shows strength

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I used to be clinically depressed and found a hobby (working out) that got me out of the funk. Challenge your mind to act instead of just think. That really helped me or I had low seratonin levels and getting my heart up by working out got rid of my depressions.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1) Seek a professional opinion.

2) I see people helping each other in here. I also see people arguing with each other. I'd say the culture is more about helping each other, but it's still populated by people who are going through the full range of emotions.

3) Do you have a feedback loop? Are you helping people and seeing how it's helping them? Do you get feedback? Are you making sales? Can you seen any needles moving on any dials? If not then it's harder to keep going.

4) Are you overwhelmed? Try going for a walk and let that monkey brain chatter away until it's happy it's been heard. Silence and movement can work wonders.

5) Are you appreciating the little things? Maybe this thread might help:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Yes, one thing I get hung up on is that I am always thinking in the past. Why didn't I invest in Tesla, why didn't I put money here or there? I don't have that confidence that I see so many people have where they take pride in being ballsy. I really think that, that's a key trait. Having the balls to do things... of course with a fair amount of calculation too.

Could you have invested in Tesla given your knowledge at the time?

Typically we do the best we can at each moment. Why we didn't do something is usually because our judgement given the present knowledge decided not to.

The confidence that you speak of is built. You can't fake it.

If you've ever heard of Jordan Peterson talking about lobsters, it's a serotonin feedback loop based on real life performance and results that creates confidence or lack there of. At least that is one part of it. But the most concrete confidence in general comes from achievement and skill, the other area it may come from is faith.

If I can ask you one more thing, What are you really really good at?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Try getting a skateboard and flying down a hill at full speed

Helps alot!

(atleast for me)

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Again, heavy lifting post:

Before you do, try some stuff and see if it helps.

If you see me without heavy lifting exercise, you would see a depressed anxious person, if you see me after going to the gym lifting heavy and taking all my stress out, you'd see me very energized optimistic out going person.

Now its your turn.

If you're not in a gym, sign up and go. No excuses. Kill the thoughts with a strength program.

If your sleep is shit, fix it.

Usually then, you find yourself more active. Thinking whilst doing stuff instead of thinking whilst sitting in a room feeling depressed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.