The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guide to Snapchat

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Hey all,

I'm in the process of writing a guide/e-book for how to use Snapchat to build an audience.

For those of you who are using Snapchat or curious about how to take advantage on the platform, what questions would you like answered in the guide?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Shouldn't your experiences as a once noob tell you that?

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Shouldn't your experiences as a once noob tell you that?

Yes, but I'm sure there are questions people have that I haven't thought to cover. I'm in the younger demo that is naturally more comfortable on the platform, others may have concerns/questions that I didn't.

Texan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jul 8, 2012
Texas
I'll ask one: how the hell do you use it to build an audience (besides snapping nudes...)?

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
I'll ask one: how the hell do you use it to build an audience (besides snapping nudes...)?

Produce high quality content relative to your niche - NFL does this really well by doing snaps inside the locker room pre-game and post-game, giving fans an inside look they can't get anywhere else.

Encourage engagement - have a Q&A session and send personalised snaps to your followers answering their questions, build a strong personal relationship with them.

In terms of building numbers, encourage your followers from other platforms (Insta, FB, email), to add you on Snapchat. Publish a Snap Screenshot or Short video teaser on FB, Instagram that will get people to add you on Snapchat.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why portrait? What's the downside to doing snapchats in landscape?

(Same question for Periscope too now I think about it...)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm in the younger demo that is naturally more comfortable on the platform, others may have concerns/questions that I didn't.

You mean this video isn't you?

Very timely thread. I've just joined snapchat this week, and am only following Gary V. I'm just observing to see what effect it has on me. I still haven't got my head round it.

What I like so far is that it encourages people to:

1) Be brief (10 second max video)

2) Not worry about perfection (it won't be around more than 24 hours?)

3) JFDI (wanna create videos? Just use your phone and hands-free kit. Forget studios, lighting, professional cameras, green screens, multiple takes, etc).​

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
You could make something similar to this guide...
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-use-snapchat-2015-2

Ive been using it for about 6 months...i get roughly 350-400 views per snap on my boring personal life...

i dont have a business or anything yet...but it does seem like a good way to communicate ..
I follow a few car shops and they post snaps of them doing installs, and before/after shots. When i had a question they was able to answer it and send pictures\vids..

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think it might have slowly dawned on me.

I often take a photo of my kids on my phone, and then text the photo to my wife. All I wanted to do was send her the picture.

So it's texting with pictures or 10 second videos.

Except the picture is gone after 24 hours (not good if I wanted to save it).

(I probably still don't get it. I will have to sit with my niece for a while and look over her shoulder.)

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Why portrait? What's the downside to doing snapchats in landscape?

(Same question for Periscope too now I think about it...)
I think it might have slowly dawned on me.

I often take a photo of my kids on my phone, and then text the photo to my wife. All I wanted to do was send her the picture.

So it's texting with pictures or 10 second videos.

Except the picture is gone after 24 hours (not good if I wanted to save it).

(I probably still don't get it. I will have to sit with my niece for a while and look over her shoulder.)

Yeah I'm following Gary Vee too, his content is so good.

So,
1. A by-product of the 24-hour lifespan is that it encourages consumption - you can't go back tomorrow and watch a Snap Story, therefore the % of followers who consume your story is extremely high. If you can produce high quality content and hook your follower then this is a huge asset.

2. You can save a snap- there's an arrow button with a line underneath where you can save your own snaps, and you can even save your entire snap story. A recipient can also screen shot a snap, therefore saving it to their phone. You'll notice Gary Vee has done this a bit, Snapped a link or something he wants you to Google and encouraged you to save it.

3. I think Portrait is more screenshot friendly - it's easier from portrait to take a screen shot and they appear better as photos in your Camera's gallery if they're portrait. I just think the Portrait style is what's native to the platform, although there are some cases where you could use landscape. Eg. If you were going to make a video teaser to put on Facebook to try to get more Snapchat followers, it would be better to film the tease in landscape because this will display better on Facebook.

4. It's 'realness' is another huge positive as well. As you mentioned, it doesn't need to be perfect or expertly edited. It's more authentic sending snaps right from your phone. It definitely makes you feel more connected to the person snapping with you as opposed to seeing edited/photo shopped stuff.

I took Gary's advice and reached out to influencers in my niche (I have a travel blog). I've written an article about the benefits of Snapchat (even got Gary to provide a few quotes for me to use), I'll post it here when I'm done if you like.

DrJake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 21, 2014
Shreveport, Lousiana
For anyone who doesn't know, here's an easy way to get more text room in your snaps:

1. Go to notes if you have an iphone
2. Press return/enter a few times to get some blank bars
3.Copy the blank bars
4. Paste into snapchat

Boom, you now have about 2-3 bars to type text in if you need to.

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
For anyone who doesn't know, here's an easy way to get more text room in your snaps:

1. Go to notes if you have an iphone
2. Press return/enter a few times to get some blank bars
3.Copy the blank bars
4. Paste into snapchat

Boom, you now have about 2-3 bars to type text in if you need to.

i was always wondering how people could write paragraphs

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.