The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From ZERO to $10K/month. Follow my journey: Big Dreams + MASSIVE ACTION

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
About me:
-Broke
-In college studying something I hate. Goal of dropping out by the end of this semester.

Goals:
-Make $10K/month by May 2016 off my online freedom business

I'm all about action, so lemme dive into that.

Currently going through a 12 week course. On week 3.

I feel like I lack knowledge, but ultimately this is gained from action.

Things I've done this week:

Picked my online freedom business:
SEO BUSINESS

Analyzed competitors:
-looked at webpages
-prices
-packages

Made up a macro overview of my business:
-everything is ready to launch within the next 2 weeks

Things to do:
-purchase domain

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Sup, Poookly. :D

We're close to the same age and I'm in college. Anyways, the best of fortune to you and I'll be watching this thread.

BTW what are you studying in college?

EDIT: I don't want to hi-jack his thread so I'll reply to his question via PM.

Last edited:

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
Sup, Poookly. :D

We're close to the same age and I'm in college. Anyways, the best of fortune to you and I'll be watching this thread.

BTW what are you studying in college?
Chemical engineering

Chose it cause of parents, but everything i read is about business. I actually visited a factory and was offered a co-op but as soon as I walked in, I knew it wasnt for me.

What about you?

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
12/9

Analyzed competitors in my field. Out of the 4 that I looked at, only 1 of them had their page optimized to the correct guideline as given per the course I'm doing.

It's crazy cause I thought that website looked the worst, but when it boiled down to the things that make a good converting page, it had them all.

Blows my mind. Reminding me to leave all judgements at the door and not to identify with the product. Just focus on the process.

More action I took:
- Figured out rough costs of running this business. Made a google doc. Overestimated costs. Planning to markup almost 400%. I may be ignorant in this field, but right now it all seems like easy pickings. Can't wait to be wrong though
-Mass liked similar facebook pages to my niche so that I can swaggerjack their ads. Collecting them currently in my OneNote Journal.
-Reverse engineered my prospects. Figured out their feelings and motivations and etc. While doing it, sales copy was flowing through my head. Bear in mind I've never written any salescopy, but it seems like a process of 1. Find what triggers them 2. Trigger them 3. Use those triggers for action 4. Profit

Once again, cant wait to be wrong.

10/10 day.

Havent started studying for final exams yet, but I'm happy to stare at a computer screen until my eyes get fuzzy and my stomach yells at me to feed it.

Cheers

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
Why is it always 5k, 10k, a month? - So many threads saying the same things over and over.

Aim higher! - if you only aim for 10k, 5k will be good enough.. Aim higher, so that even if you don't hit the goal, you can still atleast get half way there ;)

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing updates

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
Thanks Michael. $10K is a current goal, but the macro goal is to be a millionaire by 25. 3.5 years left :)

Actions taken today:

1. Wrote my first elevator pitch CRITIQUE PLEASE. Always looking to improve.
I noticed that you are frustrated that you can't get more exposure and leads online right now. We help small businesses reach the first page of search engine results for more exposure.
2. Thinking up names for my freedom business.
Analyzed most competitors. Majority have the term "seo" in their name​
3. Analyzed and looked at competitor logos. Majority are a typeface. Looks premium ish.
Gonna swipe that for my logo. I was thinking something along the lines of a picture logo, but no point reinventing the wheel.​
4. Brainstormed names.
Some I came up with:​

1. Potent SEO Exposure [this has grown on me. hated it at first, but it gets the point across. IIt's not directly taken, but there is a PotentSEO]
  2. SEOthatdelivers [iffy on status. It already has a facebook page, but thats from 2012 and not updated, regardless I don't really like it]
  3. ClickclickSEO [open and i like it. only problem is there is a site called clickSEOmarketing. seems to be local to Toronto though]
  4. Herecomestheclicks [open and I like it]
  5. Legendary SEO Traffic [open, sounds like shit imo though, also a site called legendarymarketing]
  6. Unbridled Traffic [open, but there is a site called unbridled solutions. different niche though]
  7. MoreSEOMoreMoney [open, not professional sounding]
  8. RingRingSEO [open, It's okay, just doesn't sound professional]
  9. DiscoverMeSEO [F*ckkk, this one's taken-ish.]
  10. SEOUnchained [I may or may not like Tarantino ;). There is an unchainedconsulting that does SEO]
  11. EmancipationSEO [hmmm, not too sure. it's open]
  12. Getalltheclicks [open, but there is a gettheclicks website that does SEO. It's local to Orlando though]
  13. HappyHourSEO [makes it sound like it's for drunks lol]

I'm ready for any feedback or critique. Gonna be brainstorming for the next couple days. If nothing new comes, I'll just roll with HereComesTheClicks.

Cheers

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
Gotta raise ~$300-$500 for my SEO Business website and startup costs.

I have 2 websites right now that I'm going to do affiliate SEO on to raise the money.

Actions to take:
-Finish Source University on Affiliate SEO.
-Start instantly. Learn from failure

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Chemical engineering

Chose it cause of parents, but everything i read is about business. I actually visited a factory and was offered a co-op but as soon as I walked in, I knew it wasnt for me.

What about you?

Are you saying that degree was what your parents wanted you to do or did you choose that degree yourself, with your parents just wanting you to go to college for something?

If your parents wanted you to be an engineer, you could have gone to much easier degrees that won't soak up anywhere near as much time while you focus on the business side of things. I don't know your backstory, but it sounds like your parents are supporting you while you're in college. Are they likely to stop supporting you if you drop out? If that's the case, I'd switch to an easier major like civil or industrial engineering or even if you could business. Once you get into your junior year, chem-e will be a huge time sucker. Whereas, in a lot of other degrees, you can literally never go to class and show up and pass the exams. It'll keep your parents happy so they will still support you and once your business is making enough for you to support yourself, cut the chord and roll out.

College in itself isn't just a place to get a job, you can make valuable connections with other like-minded people in the same situation as you. Exploit everything you can out of it.

Anyways good luck on your goal and I'll be watching the thread. I'm a fellow chemical engineer that was in a similar situation to you, got into a Co-Op and absolutely hated it, but there is a lot more that you can do with this field than work a job, so I'm taking a different path. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
Are you saying that degree was what your parents wanted you to do or did you choose that degree yourself, with your parents just wanting you to go to college for something?

If your parents wanted you to be an engineer, you could have gone to much easier degrees that won't soak up anywhere near as much time while you focus on the business side of things. I don't know your backstory, but it sounds like your parents are supporting you while you're in college. Are they likely to stop supporting you if you drop out? If that's the case, I'd switch to an easier major like civil or industrial engineering or even if you could business. Once you get into your junior year, chem-e will be a huge time sucker. Whereas, in a lot of other degrees, you can literally never go to class and show up and pass the exams. It'll keep your parents happy so they will still support you and once your business is making enough for you to support yourself, cut the chord and roll out.

College in itself isn't just a place to get a job, you can make valuable connections with other like-minded people in the same situation as you. Exploit everything you can out of it.

Anyways good luck on your goal and I'll be watching the thread. I'm a fellow chemical engineer that was in a similar situation to you, got into a Co-Op and absolutely hated it, but there is a lot more that you can do with this field than work a job, so I'm taking a different path. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out.
My parents chose it for me.

I'm an international student and dropping out = getting kicked back to my 3rd world country.

Also, I'm a junior and ever since i started chem e, i just hated it. Should have gone with my gut and switched earlier.

I almost feel too deep into it, but I wanna switch and put school on maintainance while using majority of my time for my business.

Best of luck to you in chem e. I have massive respect for the people who do it. I cant fathom it right now.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I feel like I lack knowledge
I may be ignorant in this field, but right now it all seems like easy pickings
:facepalm:

The whole SEO business is such a paradox. The people who really know their stuff don't do client work because they are busy getting rich with their own projects. And the people who don't know shit start SEO businesses, scam unknowing business owners and in a lot of cases, drive their customers into bankruptcy with their shitty work.

Something to think about.

Last edited:

piesandak47

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Mar 7, 2014
Be extremely careful with SEO.

Not sure what course you're taking, although I could prob. guess as there are only a handful of decent ones these days.

I started with SEO and regret till this day. Not that I didn't find success, because I did...but I would be so much further along today if I focused on other things like paid traffic.

You might strike it big by ranking some terms for #1 but all that go crumbling down without a moments notice.

Honestly, if you really want to hone your marketing, selling, and business skills, dive into paid traffic affiliate marketing.

It'll make you a man 100x faster than SEO.

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
I appreciate all the feedback and it actually made me pause and take a step back. Made me question why I'm doing this.

As the most aggressive leet hax0r guy, @theag said, SEO seems to be filled with alot of bullshit. My own research into it indicates that all the companies are doing what I plan to do: selling people 'services' and outsourcing said 'services'. It's more of a middle man operation and managing it all than an actually business.

But... I've been thinking too much lately about what to do. Is this right, is this wrong, will someone get hurt, I want everyone to prosper and bloom.

At the end of the day peeps, thats all awesome, but this is a journal on action and ultimately leading to my freedom.

The current vehicle I'm choosing is an SEO Business and will be marching on with it.

@piesandak47 Pending research :)

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
Action I took today:

Met a guy at the skatepark who is into graphic design. Said he'll make me a logo for my site for $20.

Just hit me, there is a genius of kids at my college who I could hire for a much cheaper price. Might look into getting a site built by the school of design. Hell, could even start a design business and outsource to them... endless posibilities

Also, came up with a wonderful name :)

Just bought the domain. Hell yeah!

I'd rather not share it for obvious reasons

P.S.: What do you guys think Olivia Wilde is trying to convey in that picture?

To me, I get a certain sense of smugness :)

Cheers

Next action steps:
-Get logo designed
-continue onwards

Last edited:

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
:facepalm:

The whole SEO business is such a paradox. The people who really know their stuff don't do client work because they are busy getting rich with their own projects. And the people who don't know shit start SEO businesses, scam unknowing business owners and in a lot of cases, drive their customers into bankruptcy with their shitty work.

Something to think about.

Hit it on the nail. If you want to do client work... don't master SEO (because if you do happen to master SEO, there are a lot more profitable avenues for you than client work)... instead master selling/closing/retaining clients.

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
Hit it on the nail. If you want to do client work... don't master SEO (because if you do happen to master SEO, there are a lot more profitable avenues for you than client work)... instead master selling/closing/retaining clients.

That's the plan :). I'm not interested in client work or mastering SEO. I', going to cultivate the skills that'll translate into other ventures.

Thanks for the feedback man!

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
If you're an international student then there are some pretty strict rules that apply to you currently.

Poookly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 9, 2015
If you're an international student then there are some pretty strict rules that apply to you currently.

Just looked into it. I can start my own business, but I am not allowed to receive $ or work for it.

Damn... I wonder if that applies if I register my business outside of the US.

Guess I need to put one more thing on the action plan:
-contact immigration lawyers and tax attorneys and figure out restrictions on international students

One more hurdle to leap appears

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved to the [HASHTAG]#Landfill[/HASHTAG] ... income proclamation threads are automatic moves to landfill if there is no basis for the declaration -- there are two many declarations and not enough action.

Let us know when you learn to make $1,000 first, then I will move it back out.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
I seen so many of these types of threads in the past year I've been here. Why doesn't anyone start off with $50 a day, then move to $100/day, then $150, etc? Make daily goals & hold yourself accountable for them.

I feel like everyone who makes these type of threads ignores the process. Embrace the damn struggle. It will make your success feel much more better.

Also, it's more useful to meet your goal and share the steps with everyone on the forum than to just post something you want. Don't tell us what your going to do. Do it, succeed, then share.

With all that said I hope everyone the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.