The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Florida man continues his journey to the promised land..."

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
What's up my Fastlane fam! I've had this "forum intro" on my to-do list for a couple weeks, so here goes!

First off, I'm very excited to be a part of this community. Shout out to MJ for sharing his life/soul saving insights and to all the others I see participating in the threads and helping people out. It reminds me of my jiu jitsu school... where you slowly level up, get beat up and learn your lessons, then pass them on to the lower belts.

I'm 34 years old, live in Orlando, and work in tech/real estate right now. I do UX/UI for a few startups (as a contractor/freelancer), and work as a real estate agent. For real estate, I do my own deals, but also work with a developer to help him with sales and marketing. I build websites for him, and help him with random odds and ends that come up during development. He's also teaching me how to develop. He does single family homes, and townhomes (www.samsaradowntown.com - a sample of his work).

As far as my other habits, I stay on top of my health. I eat super healthy, workout every day, I do jiu jitsu, yoga, get 8 hours of sleep per night, meditate, journal, etc.

I started my first business when I was 16, back in 2000. It was an online store that sold car stereo equipment, and was called.... "BadAss Audio." I still love that name. It was a dropshipping model, but it wasn't easy back then like it is now. We had to shut it down pretty soon after we created this awesome website and got our first few orders. We tried to sell the website, but couldn't really find any buyers at the time.

When I was in college, I worked for a couple real estate investors (one in Orlando, another in Tallahassee) doing bird-dogging and door-knocking. I learned some stuff about the business and saw how much money there is to be made in real estate.

After graduating with a finance degree from FSU, I worked as a valet for about a year. On the side, a friend and I worked on this concept to improve on the FSBO buyer/seller experience. But we had no clue what we were doing, and didn't really push it forward hard enough. Then I finally got my first "real job," a 9-5 at a local tech company (web hosting). I was doing graphic and web design.

Then I jumped to another company, doing the same thing, but for a golf marketing company. They had an interesting subscription model, where they build, host, and manage websites for golf courses.

I took a larger bet when I left the golf company and went to work for a meal-planning SAAS ...STARTUP (sorry MJ haha) because they were willing to give me a little equity. I worked there for the past 4 years, but we hit some road bumps and had to lay everybody off (including myself) except for the CTO and a couple overseas developers. It's still cash-flow positive, but we can't rehire until we raise more money. I learned a ton about what it takes to start a tech company and make it successful. It can be brutal.

Last year, I fell into the trap and started a side-gig Shopify store doing jiu jitsu t-shirts because I saw some online guru clown. I actually still get a lot of compliments on the couple shirts I made (attached). I shut it down pretty quickly when I realized it was going to take more work than I had time for.

So now I've got one foot in the tech industry doing UI/UX, and the other foot in the real estate industry doing some sales and marketing. I've read a ton of books (check my attachment... action faking or nah?). I've taken courses. I have a pretty broad and diverse skillset that (I think) makes me pretty potent as an entrepreneur. That includes graphic design, web/app design, SEO, branding, internet marketing, photography, videography, customer service, sales, project management, financial modeling and all that fun spreadsheet stuff, etc etc. I'm pretty familiar with the idea of prototyping and validating ideas because of all my time spent in the "startup" world.

After reading MF and now Unscripted , I feel like I've been given a second chance. I've read so many business books, but these really hit the mark for some reason. Maybe it's the no-BS writing style MJ has.

My biggest goal/dream was always to be an entrepreneur, but I still had/have some mindset issues and bad habits to iron out. So I'm here to figure out how I can get help, give to others, and start walking the path to the promised land. I realize now I have a solid framework in my head, and I need to be on the lookout for problems/opportunities.

Part of me thinks I should leverage my knowledge of technology and really attack the real estate game. Get an awesome website going, content marketing (blog and social media), run ads to landing pages, make sure all my processes run smoothly, systematize everything, etc. But for some reason.... I'm holding back. I don't want to be just another real estate agent. So I'm a little lost. Working as a UI/UX designer doesn't scale unless I create some kind of product or SAAS business. I have a couple ideas that I thought would be cool, one is A/B testing for fashion (think: your girlfriend asking "what should I wear") that returns results in under 10 minutes. The other is a house swapping website for remote workers.

So I feel a little lost, but I'm trying to stay focused and keep to the principles in the book.

Cheers! I look forward to participating and getting to know everybody.

Alex

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• books.jpg
    books.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 26
  • shirt_1.jpg
    shirt_1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 24
  • shirt_2.jpg
    shirt_2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 23

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro brother, great to have ya aboard.

have a couple ideas that I thought would be cool, one is A/B testing for fashion (think: your girlfriend asking "what should I wear") that returns results in under 10 minutes.

Ha Ha, I like it!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Welcome Alex,

Looks like you will fit in well. Look forward to your particular insights and take on life.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Any title that starts with "Florida Man" has me worried... But glad it was a great intro!

I'm just down the I-4 corridor from you, we've got a great group of guys here in Florida.

Love the hustle man, look forward to seeing more of your contributions here.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Great introduction ! Welcome to the forum, I feel like I will enjoy reading your posts.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Great intro - if you're gonna call yourself "floridaman" I think your profile pic should be a little more boozy mugshot, though. :clench:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
"Florida man" has come a long way since I last read the news! Welcome!

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
Welcome,

Do you train at the jungle by chance or compete locally?
I went there for a little bit, but switched to a different gym. I'm at FRBJJ / Fabin Rosa BJJ. Kinda cool, I remember meeting him when he worked as a bar-back at Casey's downtown. Then he started training people in his garage, now he has 5 schools all around Florida. Come by if you want to train!

Also... if anybody is going to Grant Cardone's 10x Growth Conference in Miami this weekend, hit me up!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I must say, UI/UX designer + Real Estate combo is a rarity and the first of this kind of combination I've seen ever. UI/UX and fine art/graphic design or UI/UX + fashion/handicraft is still common though.
Being good at real estate already puts you way ahead of the pack.

On a side note, whenever I see the word "florida", this comes to mind:

SoFlo-Djs-South-Florida-Djs-Miami-Djs-Fort-Lauderdale-Djs-West-Palm-beach-Djs-Djs-In-Miami-Djs-In-South-FLorida-Broward-Djs-Djs-In-Fort-Lauderdale-Wedding-Djs-beach-party-2.jpg

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
I must say, UI/UX designer + Real Estate combo is a rarity and the first of this kind of combination I've seen ever. UI/UX and fine art/graphic design or UI/UX + fashion/handicraft is still common though.
Being good at real estate already puts you way ahead of the pack.

On a side note, whenever I see the word "florida", this comes to mind:

SoFlo-Djs-South-Florida-Djs-Miami-Djs-Fort-Lauderdale-Djs-West-Palm-beach-Djs-Djs-In-Miami-Djs-In-South-FLorida-Broward-Djs-Djs-In-Fort-Lauderdale-Wedding-Djs-beach-party-2.jpg

Haha if only it was like that more often. Maybe after I retire at 40.

Yeah my jump from UX/design to real estate is pretty ... random. Hopefully that'll give me an edge in some way. I can definitely take my "design thinking" mindset and technical skills and apply it to real estate. I figured real estate could help acquire more skill sets like direct sales, general business, investing, etc.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Part of me thinks I should leverage my knowledge of technology and really attack the real estate game. Get an awesome website going, content marketing (blog and social media), run ads to landing pages, make sure all my processes run smoothly, systematize everything, etc. But for some reason.... I'm holding back.

So why don't you quit F*cking around, and test it out? I smell a lot of hot air motherfcker.... (yes I'm being a dick for a reason)

It's been 7 days since OP, that's more than enough time to have things set up for someone with your skills.

Better questions to be asking are: with my experience, what's the one big problem I can solve for X person/people in x industry? What do I really excel at, whether I like it or not, that could be tremendously helpful for others? How can I make their lives easier, save them time, money, frustration, etc...

Normally, it isn't until AFTER you get started working on something, that the true opportunity reveals itself. Everyone wants certainty BEFORE they start... it. doesn't. work. that. way.

This could be as simple as putting a new spin on the real estate sales process through your unique approach... I don't know. You now how F*cking frustrating it is working with dipshit real estate agents that don't give a F*ck about anything but their commission? </random example>

You follow? The books will only get you so far, you have everything you need already to be successful. Now quit dicking around and start working in a direction.

P.S. - why don't I see you at igroup meetups anymore? :hilarious:

I'll leave you hanging on the identity until you quit fiddle F*cking around, then I'll shoot you a text. :rofl:

floridaman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Dec 28, 2018
Orlando, FL
So why don't you quit f*cking around, and test it out? I smell a lot of hot air motherfcker.... (yes I'm being a dick for a reason)

It's been 7 days since OP, that's more than enough time to have things set up for someone with your skills.

Better questions to be asking are: with my experience, what's the one big problem I can solve for X person/people in x industry? What do I really excel at, whether I like it or not, that could be tremendously helpful for others? How can I make their lives easier, save them time, money, frustration, etc...

Normally, it isn't until AFTER you get started working on something, that the true opportunity reveals itself. Everyone wants certainty BEFORE they start... it. doesn't. work. that. way.

This could be as simple as putting a new spin on the real estate sales process through your unique approach... I don't know. You now how f*cking frustrating it is working with dipshit real estate agents that don't give a f*ck about anything but their commission? </random example>

You follow? The books will only get you so far, you have everything you need already to be successful. Now quit dicking around and start working in a direction.

P.S. - why don't I see you at igroup meetups anymore? :hilarious:

I'll leave you hanging on the identity until you quit fiddle f*cking around, then I'll shoot you a text. :rofl:

Well... anything that I say would just sound like another excuse. So I decided I'm going to commit to the real estate game for a minimum of a year. I have a really bad habit with shiny object syndrome, my biggest downfall. And yes I totally know what you mean, a lot of agents are more worried about what car they're driving ( the agents that follow Bryan Casella and his Lambo) and how much they can flex. It can be a very vain profession.

I'll make a progress thread so I can keep myself accountable, and have you guys boot me in the a$$ if I'm bullshitting.

P.S. Hey Matt ;) Miss you too

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I'm in Florida as well, JAX. But if you read my intro you'll see I'm an old fart trying to recover from too many years in the fast lane. You have some awesome skills and should find great success if you can tie them together.

I'm still working on a pic. My ugly mug would just scare people away from the forum.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...