The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fitness Goal... Reward.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Instead of long slow steady cardio, mix in some HIIT 1-2x a week. 15-20 min is all you need.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm down to 200 now. A few weeks ago I bought a new jeans and it didn't fit very well, had to exercise a lot of effort to close it and it was kinda hard to move in it, go up stairs etc because it was so tight. I didn't really wear it because of that. Tried it on 2 weeks ago and it fit better. Now it nearly slips down and looks like a rapper baggy jeans.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I have the opposite problem of you guys: I'm trying to gain weight.

In December of 2011, I got sick with a regular cold and developed a cough. For almost a year, the cough would not go away and no doctor I went to could find anything wrong. Finally, I decided that it must have something to do with the fact that I had been sitting for 8 hours a day with no exercise, so last December I hired a trainer and started going to the gym. Within two weeks, all of my symptoms were gone and now I am in excellent shape.

I have learned to love working out but as an ectomorph, I have a hard time gaining weight. I literally have to set timers to remind myself to eat every hour and a half and sometimes I am so busy that I don't register the fact that I am hungry. So it kind of sucks. But the workouts are paying off. In December, I could barely do 3 sets of 15 at 270 lbs on the leg press, and yesterday, I did 4 sets of 15 at 360 lbs with relative ease. It's nice to see tangible progress. I wish it showed more in body definition, but my goal is to gain 10 lbs of lean muscle mass in 1 year. I probably won't be "swole" at this year's B&P, but maybe I'll buy some muscle shirts for the 2014 event. ;)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Lol, I gained 6lbs on the scale from yesterday to today but didn't have a cheat meal or anything else out of line. pissed me off :nopity:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I gained 6lbs on the scale from yesterday to today
Is that even possible?

When I get results like that, out of the ordinary for me, I start suspecting the scale right away.

Hey Kak, what specific routine are you following these days, after starting paleo?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Is that even possible?

When I get results like that, out of the ordinary for me, I start suspecting the scale right away.

Hey Kak, what specific routine are you following these days, after starting paleo?

Yeah really weird. I checked like 10 times and even took out the batteries to let it recalibrate or whatever. Will see what it says tomorrow. Somewhere I have another scale thats non-electrical, maybe I'll search for it.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I keep hearing this all the time but have never understood it. I mean, I am not peeing more. Not sweating more. Where the hell is that infamous water weight going?

It must have went here:

Lol, I gained 6lbs on the scale from yesterday to today but didn't have a cheat meal or anything else out of line. pissed me off

Really the fluctuations are just water retention. When I started my exercise program last week I was 232lbs. Yesterday I was 224lbs. Today 221lbs. I doubt I lost 8-11 pounds of fat in 9 days. So I assume it's a combo of water and fat. Plus I haven't eaten yet this morning and you usually weigh less in the morning.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Really the fluctuations are just water retention. When I started my exercise program last week I was 232lbs. Yesterday I was 224lbs. Today 221lbs. I doubt I lost 8-11 pounds of fat in 9 days. So I assume it's a combo of water and fat. Plus I haven't eaten yet this morning and you usually weigh less in the morning.
Interesting points you are raising...

I always weigh myself in the morning, before eating anything, naked, after using the bathroom and before showering, as a way to try to replicate similar conditions. Will never be exactly the same, but I try to control as many variables as possible.

Before I started the Paleo diet my wight wouldn't fluctuate that much, it would go from 168.2 to 167.9 to 168.1 in three continuous days of tracking.

After starting this diet, it is going down between 0.6 and 1.1 lbs per day.

In any case, I am looking to get a DEXA scan done to have a more realistic baseline and see how things change in a few weeks. I will post result if/when I get it done.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
That DEXA scan sounds interesting. I have done several BOD POD sessions and it is interesting to see what you are made of. Let us know if you do the scan.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Bought 5 new suit shirts. My neck has lost an inch! I looked like ron paul this morning at a sales call so I took the tie off. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I gained 6lbs on the scale from yesterday to today

I lost those again on the next day. Must have been an outlier. Yesterday I lost half a pound. Today another half pound (despite having a carb-refeed yesterday). Now at 199.96lbs. Lost approximately 12lbs in the last 2 weeks since I started going relatively strict paleo :). If this isn't the best diet/lifestyle then I don't know what could be :)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am now 208! I had also just had dinner and a couple of iced teas.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
When do you weigh yourself and how often?

I take my measurements on Saturday, weekly, after breakfast. I don't touch the scale, calipers or measuring tape any time between. I think it keeps the results rather consistent so I don't have to factor in too much statistical error.

It's pretty awesome the progress you've been making. Seems everyone here has a fitness goal: as it should be, of course.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well I actually use the one in the men's locker room at the country club. It is a nice doctor style scale. So I usually do it after golf on a weekday.

I really want to break through to the 190s soon.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am getting exited for new suits. I have been hesitant to buy new ones because I knew I wasn't at my best weight. I can probably re-taylor the ones I wear now too.

I can't wait!!!! :D

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
kak please don't tell me your still doing 1 hour cardio sessons anymore?

What do you workouts look like?

Here is a good video on why those cardio sessions aren't that good for fat burning (no affiliation to this guy - in fact he's kind of a d*uche lol - but the advice is spot on)

[video=youtube;Glx5UJBj5Zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glx5UJBj5Zo[/video]

Despite my setbacks, I decided to weigh myself today after only 1 week of paleo and 4 nights in the gym. To my surprise I am down 20lbs total to 206! I probably lost 4-5 this week on paleo.

I can not believe that I lost 20 lbs off of my body, I don't even feel THAT much slimmer. But I am playing much better golf.

This does motivate me more though! I have 15 more to go, hopefully before B&P I can put the order in for the new suit at a 34 waist, but have decided to hold off until I lose enough to get to a comfortable 34 regardless of weight.

(currently a 36, was a 38-40 at my worst)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yeah I am going about 3 times a week for cardio, but lifting 5 times per week. I don't put the hours in anymore, I would probably be at my goal already if I did.

chrishobson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 14, 2012
Today was 174 at 12.3% bodyfat. I've been keeping steady even while allowing my diet to include carbs.

I've only been doing weights and walking for the last few months, and I've never been in better shape. Compound lifts really are the best way to workout. :)

Edit - I'm also 6'1" so it isn't like I'm ripped lol. Former fat guy who is now too skinny.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Hey guys, I'm down 10 pounds this month as of last week. Need to reweigh myself tomorrow morning.

Wanted to let you all know that water can affect your weight a ton!
8.3454 pounds
That is how much a gallon of water weighs. If you're anything like myself, I drink 1-2 gallons per day.
Just keep that in mind and ALWAYS weigh in at the same time and under the same circumstances/clothes.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
That is quite a bit for one day. Lol

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I started January at 170.5 or something like that.

Sunday morning I was at 161.0.

I can see the results.

I can feel them too.

This is cool.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Hi guys/gals, I don't want to hijack the thread, but we are exploring ideas on gamification of the HealthStatus.com website. Since you seem to be the spot on demographic I am trying to hit, can you tell me: If a site gave you points, or colored squares, or had a leaderboard for checking in with your progress would you be more likely to visit it? Would you want it to post your visits/score/special status to social websites? Have you seen a website with these kinds of elements (if so which ones did you like?)? Since you seem to be an accountability group to each other, would you be interested in a site that put you in a group with other members with similar goals and allowed you to communicate through the site with your group? PM me if you have any comments, thoughts, etc....

To avoid derailment: I started a thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/he...cation-looking-ideas-thoughts.html#post262617

Last edited by a moderator:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
If a site gave you points, or colored squares, or had a leaderboard for checking in with your progress would you be more likely to visit it? Would you want it to post your visits/score/special status to social websites? Have you seen a website with these kinds of elements (if so which ones did you like?)? Since you seem to be an accountability group to each other, would you be interested in a site that put you in a group with other members with similar goals and allowed you to communicate through the site with your group?
YES to everything.

If you create a thread in particular for this, I will contribute.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So, weighed in yesterday at... 199. I am under 200 for the first time since senior year of high school!!! :)

Still working on it! :)

phenom4hire

Onwards and Upwards
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 26, 2011
Jesup, GA
Dude you and me both. I recently started working out again and began at about 222 lbs. Now after 1 month of eating right and consistently working out, I finally hit 198. It has been 6 or 7 years since I weighed that much. I miss the days when I could bench, squat, deadlift whatever I wanted but overall I feel indefinetly better than when weighed more. My goal this year is to build functional strength with a lower percent bodyfat.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Wow you did it a lot faster than me. Shit I started in november or something at 230ish.

I was around 206-7 at B&P

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Let me join in on the fun.

I'm 5'11, and I was about 220 in Jan, I started working out around the 2nd week of Feb. I'm currently around 210lb.

I just go to the gym when I can, I try to get in at least 4x a week. My goal is about 190lbs, but that number is not set in the stone, the biggest variable on how I stop, will be how I look and how I feel. If I feel/look too small at 200, then I'll stop there. I have never been muscular in my life ever. I'm in my 30's, so I don't know what to expect of my body. At the moment, I'm not doing much weight training, just cardio with a little weight training. I'm not taking any supplement either, it's not within my budget. I'm not dieting or counting calories, I don't have that type of time or enjoy food when I have to track everything. I'm just eating for sustainment instead of enjoyment, and using common sense. My goal is to get to 190lbs, be fit, with functional strength and endurance.

When I started, it was a body thing, but now it's all a mind thing. It's the same mind that I will take to build a business, I want to bend my mind and make things that I never thought possible, possible. That's all there's to it. We can all do it.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm in my 30's, so I don't know what to expect of my body. At the moment, I'm not doing much weight training, just cardio with a little weight training. I'm not taking any supplement either, it's not within my budget. I'm not dieting or counting calories, I don't have that type of time or enjoy food when I have to track everything. I'm just eating for sustainment instead of enjoyment, and using common sense.
I suggest you read the thread about Paleo and Intermittent Fasting. That combination has worked wonders for me.

I was very skeptical of all the diets were the testimonials were given by 18-20 year old people because my metabolism at 36 is completely different. Another forum member at 35 told me of his progress. I gave it a try and I have lost 20 lbs since Jan 15th.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.