The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fitness Goal... Reward.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Good deal! I have found that slower with a bigger incline gets that calorie number up faster than flat and fast.

I do a little working out on elipitical about once a week.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I thought of you today... just did the first day of Insanity. I felt like I was about to puke so I had to slow down.

I am praying I can walk tomorrow!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
While I was out of the country I only worked out 3 times and my calories were pretty much untrackable. I don't think I gained anything, but I am back in the gym tonight. Great little Wed through Sunday trip. I'm booked for the end of December too :). Ate a lot of beef carpaccio.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
While I was out of the country I only worked out 3 times and my calories were pretty much untrackable.
Wow, I'm proud. When I am on break I don't work out and eat EVERYTHING in front of me. That's why it is called a vacation.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am still at the diet. The motivation is slowing as I can tell I am looking a good bit more healthy and my workout ability has jumped by alot. I quit the gym early tonight because I got bored. I am looking for something to keep my occupied on the elliptical or treadmill. After 20 mins I just want to leave and do something else. I am thinking about looking through netflix to find something I want to watch on the phone....

I have probably lost 10-12 lbs by now and I want to keep it up. This is pretty good considering a Caribbean vacation and thanksgiving in there.

av1atic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 3, 2012
After 20 mins I just want to leave and do something else. I am thinking about looking through netflix to find something I want to watch on the phone....

Excellent idea! That would make finishing your cardio much more feasible. On days I used to do 2 hours of cardio, I'd watch half a movie during the morning session and the remainder in the evening session :D

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm doing 1 hour of cardio each day right now and I'm listening to audiobooks during it. I keep a fast walking pace at about 1,7m/s and 6% anscent, so its really smooth and I can concentrate on the content.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Great to see you still working on it.

I quit the gym early tonight because I got bored.
I understand the feeling.

That was one of the reasons for me to start following the Insanity routine, as I have a whole set to follow. Granted, after a couple of weeks all the exercises seem the same, and you start learning the DVDs and comments by heart, but it is still challenging, so I am sticking to it so far. I do notice the difference, great progress. I've also heard great things about P90X but I only have done a few things here and there with it, never really followed it so I can't tell. Their yoga and abs routines were tough.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Thats my new workout music

[video=youtube;IBxywtW2Hbk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxywtW2Hbk[/video]

chrishobson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 14, 2012
I am in. I need to ramp back up to an hour on the elliptical, but should be there within a few days. Damn it feels good to work out again. I have somewhere between 40# to drop (to get reasonable) and 60# to get optimal. Fat guys lose weight fast, and I can make a significant dent in the number in a month.

Your goal is very doable. I used to be 240 (even at 6'1" that's way fat), now I'm down to my target weight of 170. I'm to the point where I'm trying to add weight back in the form of muscle. :D

Any workout plan can get you where you want to go, since weight loss is actually mostly achieved in the kitchen. The gym is just your way of telling your body what type of exercise it should be prepared for. I got the best results from weight lifting (Stronglifts 5x5 in particular, definite fastlane site too), and not from running or jogging.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
I am still at the diet. The motivation is slowing as I can tell I am looking a good bit more healthy and my workout ability has jumped by alot. I quit the gym early tonight because I got bored. I am looking for something to keep my occupied on the elliptical or treadmill. After 20 mins I just want to leave and do something else. I am thinking about looking through netflix to find something I want to watch on the phone....

I have probably lost 10-12 lbs by now and I want to keep it up. This is pretty good considering a Caribbean vacation and thanksgiving in there.

If your main goal is to get an amazing body and fat loss, then you should really reconsider changing your strategy.

Cardio only raises your metabolic rate during the process. Also the more cardio you do the more your body adapts to you it and it starts having less and less of an effect (hence why you are probably starting to lose motivation and getting bored) - not to mention that cardio in the aspect that you are doing it, is indeed boring as hell.

Healthstatus mentioned the high intensity stuff, which is much better.

In addition to that recommendation, you would see great results even just by cutting out the cardio completely and focusing on large compound movements (squats, bench, deadlifts). These would keep your metabolism going insane throughout the whole day and if you combined this with a clean, low glycemic diet, I would be shocked if you didn't get results.

Also, since you seem to have a endomophic build, the low glycemic might work even better.

chrishobson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Nov 14, 2012
In addition to that recommendation, you would see great results even just by cutting out the cardio completely and focusing on large compound movements (squats, bench, deadlifts).

I think this is some of the best advice anyone can receive when it comes to health. I only focus on compound movements (squats, bench, overhead press, bent rows, deadlifts), and have probably ran a combined 5 miles in the last 18 months; with no running training I just did a 5k in 30 minutes. Lifting weights will give you above average cardio, but jogging will not give you above average strength.

Plus, lifting weights takes up far less time, my workouts are about 90 minutes each, and I only workout three times per week.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The current total weight lost since I started this is 9 lbs I am down to 216. I have been eating a protein bar or 2 per day. They really tide me over and let my stomach retract as they are not very big. Overall though, my body has undergone a much larger transformation. I have muscle definition and and am losing the love handles.

Still at it. Look forward to my workouts now. I can't wait to have my ideal body and my new suit.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
The current total weight lost since I started this is 9 lbs I am down to 216. I have been eating a protein bar or 2 per day. They really tide me over and let my stomach retract as they are not very big. Overall though, my body has undergone a much larger transformation. I have muscle definition and and am losing the love handles.

Still at it. Look forward to my workouts now. I can't wait to have my ideal body and my new suit.

Great work man!! Just be careful with those protein bars, many of them are full of sugar.

fpena911

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 11, 2012
I die of boredom on treadmills and elliptical machines so I don't do a lot of cardio.

But what I do instead is go to a Muay Thai class twice a week and when the weather is decent will try to go for a 12-20 mile bike ride. Both of these are a lot more fun and engaging than running in the same place for an hour. And in both cases you can get it done in anywhere from 60-90 minutes.

Having fun is half the battle when it comes to being motivated, if you're bored or it seems like a chore you're less likely to do your workout.

Above all though, just watch the calories and you won't have to spend hours upon hours doing cardio. Lifting weights will more than provide you with the metabolic jump-start you need if you adjust your diet accordingly.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I die of boredom on treadmills and elliptical machines so I don't do a lot of cardio.

But what I do instead is go to a Muay Thai class twice a week and when the weather is decent will try to go for a 12-20 mile bike ride. Both of these are a lot more fun and engaging than running in the same place for an hour. And in both cases you can get it done in anywhere from 60-90 minutes.

Having fun is half the battle when it comes to being motivated, if you're bored or it seems like a chore you're less likely to do your workout.

Above all though, just watch the calories and you won't have to spend hours upon hours doing cardio. Lifting weights will more than provide you with the metabolic jump-start you need if you adjust your diet accordingly.

LOVE the idea. I am going to take the bike in and get it all souped up. I have an old Trek 4500 from 8-9 years ago, it is still a nice bike I think.... It just needs the gear selector tuned so it doesn't skip around.

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
Keep the updates coming, your progress is great! it's infectious more like it :)

I hope you reach your goal and more, you are definitely taking action!

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
The biggest factors of working out are determination and a good diet.

Eat right, sure it's okay to indulge every once in a while, I myself eat a piece of pie or a milkshake once every week or two. But never once a day, and I never eat junk snack foods or drinks. As you workout you will begin to be hungry more often, this is good..your body is using the nutrients faster so you need more food...your metabolism is speeding up which is really really good. Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and meats. If you can't guarantee eating full servings of fruits and veggies a day, you could take a fruit/veggie vitamin that makes up for it. Eat chicken and pork and steak and beef whenever you can, this is really good for you and it will help you recover and help your muscles. Drink lots of water also, you should drink AT LEAST one full bottle of water before, during, and after your workout...I normally drink 7-8 full bottles of water in a full day.

You need to motivate yourself to workout, it's one thing to go everyday and struggle through a workout just to finish it, it's a completely different thing to go everyday, and wanting to be there and doing more workouts. I often times find myself doing more exercises than I have for that day...it'll be legs day and I will do all my exercises and then just for fun I do 3 sets of abs, some push ups, some pull ups, and run like 2 miles....just because I want to. You need a reason to increase the weight on this day, or some sort of motivation to increase the reps from 8 to 10. This is HUGE you can be the biggest guy in the world but if you don't find some enjoyment of working out, what's the point?

I think your goal is really good and I look forward to updates on it!!

fpena911

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 11, 2012
LOVE the idea. I am going to take the bike in and get it all souped up. I have an old Trek 4500 from 8-9 years ago, it is still a nice bike I think.... It just needs the gear selector tuned so it doesn't skip around.

Get yourself one of those Garmin bike GPS computers. It'll track your route, speed, and how many calories you burn. It also gives you the option to compete against yourself and is a great motivator.

I used to use one of those little cheap bike computers before which are junk compared to the GPS enabled devices.

Have fun!

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
You're doing a great job in losing weight in a most natural way. It's self rewarding seeing yourself losing those unnecessary pounds for a healthier you. Keep track of what you eat as much as possible. Rewarding yourself with something that is not food like running shoes, etc is also effective. Hope I can do the same thing next year.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Hows it going Kak?

I did some research in the last few days on a new diet to use in the future when I will work my job. The leangains IF worked great for me but I won't have much time to workout as I had before and don't want to take prepared meals to the office each day. Also I feel that the calorie restriction takes some concentration and power away from me and I want to be at the top of my game.

Read a lot on bulletproofexec.com in the last days and decided yesterday to go with the rapid fat loss protocol (» Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol: How to Lose Fat Way Faster Than You Should The Bulletproof Executive) until at least end of january. In this protocol I will only drink coffee with grass-fed butter and MCT-oil (no other food!) and take a bunch of supplements, plus a refeed day once a week. The results from this protocol seems quite promising. Ordered a bunch of supplements, high quality coffee etc yesterday.

Will continue with the bulletproof IF protocol after I finished the rapid fat loss thing, which is basically IF with the special coffee added in the morning.

Maybe its something for you, too. I'm pretty convinced of the effectiveness and he pretty much backs up every single word he says with proper research studies. Will report back with results in a few weeks.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
I'll start my year right by focusing more on my health. Keeping ourselves healthy would mean a lot. everything we work hard will be gone if we're not healthy enough.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am still at it an am going to a Paleoesque diet. Meat, Veggies, Fruit, Eggs...

I have not weighed myself since last time, but will fully admit I had about a 2 week total f-up. I am assuming I am right around 210, which would be the lowest I have weighed in at since freshman year of college.

Found a new way to occupy my time on the cardio machines. Top Gear U.K. on Netflix. This show is hilarious and bad a$$! There are like 15 seasons too. Burned 770 calories in 1 hour, I used to get bored in 15 mins...

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Great to hear about your progress...

I also started this week a cleaner diet, and after lots of reading I went for paleo as well. Still trying to adapt to it cause it meant for me to completely change the places I go to for lunch.

fully admit I had about a 2 week total f-up
Mine was something like 3 weeks. One week overseas vacation plus the holidays in between, but I came back now to a routine and things are working better. I try not to feel too guilty when I screw up, after all, I am still learning stuff about diet and exercising.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Despite my setbacks, I decided to weigh myself today after only 1 week of paleo and 4 nights in the gym. To my surprise I am down 20lbs total to 206! I probably lost 4-5 this week on paleo.

I can not believe that I lost 20 lbs off of my body, I don't even feel THAT much slimmer. But I am playing much better golf.

This does motivate me more though! I have 15 more to go, hopefully before B&P I can put the order in for the new suit at a 34 waist, but have decided to hold off until I lose enough to get to a comfortable 34 regardless of weight.

(currently a 36, was a 38-40 at my worst)

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
One thing to keep in mind too about changing how you are eating is water weight loss. I can fluctuate 10 pounds in a week. The best measuring stick is just what you said about your clothes fitting different. Losing the weight AND not being bloated really makes a huge difference. Keep it up!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
To my surprise I am down 20lbs total to 206!
Congratulations!

I decided to weigh myself today after only 1 week of paleo and 4 nights in the gym. To my surprise I am down 20lbs total to 206! I probably lost 4-5 this week on paleo.
That has been my same results... one week on paleo and already lost 4 pounds. I weigh myself daily. The first 4 days I thought my scale was broken as I was losing a pound a day.

I think I need to open a new hole to my belt, it is tingling every now and then when I walk.

I can see some curves disappear and that is good.

I can't assign all the progress to just the diet as I am doing both Paleo and Insanity.

One thing to keep in mind too about changing how you are eating is water weight loss
I keep hearing this all the time but have never understood it. I mean, I am not peeing more. Not sweating more. Where the hell is that infamous water weight going?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.