The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ways to reward yourself for meeting goals.

Anything related to matters of the mind

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
Working on your business by yourself can be a pretty lonely experience unless you take measures to counteract its solo nature. Because you have no manager per se, I think it's important to reward yourself for meeting certain goals or markers in your plan and in doing so build a positive association with the process rather than with events.

This morning I reached one of these markers (completing a large piece of work that has taken several months) and tried to think of a way to reward myself for doing so. Trying to be frugal I wanted to do something nice that didn't cost any money. It's then that I realized that pretty much everything I see as a treat has to be bought. Going out for a nice meal, buying something you've been wanting for a while, getting a takeaway, going to the cinema or theatre, etc, etc. There were only a few things I considered a treat that didn't have money at their root (have a lie in tomorrow morning or take the day or afternoon off work...)

I'm interested to hear what others do to reward themselves and if the majority of nice things we do have a financial cost.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
Dec 5, 2020
Beforehand i always say something like: when i accomplish this i can do x(shopping, dinner with gf, travel etc.)
But... in the end i never do it

After all the biggest reward is your accomplishment right?

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I actually have a system for rewards, inspired by the Profit First framework. Of all my revenue collected, 5% goes into the "Profit" account. And every quarter, I take half of the money that is in that account and use it strictly for fun and rewarding myself.

I love it because it's guilt-free, and it's systematized, so I don't have to think about it.

And as to what to spend it on, I've created a list of things/experiences I want, and whenever there's a quarterly profit distribution, I just pick something from that list.

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
I actually have a system for rewards, inspired by the Profit First framework. Of all my revenue collected, 5% goes into the "Profit" account. And every quarter, I take half of the money that is in that account and use it strictly for fun and rewarding myself.

I love it because it's guilt-free, and it's systematized, so I don't have to think about it.

And as to what to spend it on, I've created a list of things/experiences I want, and whenever there's a quarterly profit distribution, I just pick something from that list.
I like how systematic this is. Thanks, gonna implement it myself from now on.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here's a similar thread...

It's regarding the Gold Star Strategy as outlined in The Great Rat Race Escape .

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.