The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally Launched E-book & Website! Feedback will be greatly appreciated

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Hey peeps, so finally I finished my website and e-book... and I gotta say a big thank you for the motivation here on this forum.

I knew nothing about making a website or writing an e-book... but as MJ says, one step at a time and finally I'm done. Still got lots of work to do!! Just feels good to put it out on the market and already getting some feedback... the desert of desertion phase is over..

So heres the website, From Gamer to Gainer | Turning Gamers into Muscle Machines .

I know there are alot of free fitness information out there, but I believe people will pay for convenience & this fitness book is very different from any other. Also, this ebook really does offer true value and solves a big problem in society. Anyway, it'll be great to get some feedback!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
That video auto-played when I clicked the link, people really don't like that now days, I'd recommend changing it personally.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Alright here it goes:

First, congrats on actually doing something.

Now, as for the site:

- Your header is boring, change it

- Embed the video onto the page (look up JW-PLayer), it will look more professional

- Have the "order now" button pop up at a time where you have made me want the product in the video (don't have it there right away)

- Incorporate fitness onto your e-book cover so that I can visually see what I am getting (when I see only a controller, there is a disconnect from fitness)

- The video has a cheap feel to it (the drawings look very "amaturish". Also, it goes at a very slow pace. Everyone online is ADD, get me to the points quicker and in much more rhythm.)

- If you can ramp up more testimonials do so. The Longer your copy the better.

AlasdairM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 20, 2012
Very interesting concept.

A couple of suggestions:

- Give people a peek inside, or give away a free chapter or two.
- Drop the crossed out $60. I don't think anybody buys into the crossed out dollar values anymore.

Good luck!

sigurdur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 26, 2012
Iceland
Nice work so far.

My suggestion to you is to add a javascript pop-up that asks the user if he/she wants to get a preview of the book (first 2 chapters free) OR the book for a reduced price.

When you add bonuses, you have to add the value of the bonus and slash through that price. What is the conceived value of the abs bonus book..?

Best of luck!

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
- Drop the crossed out $60. I don't think anybody buys into the crossed out dollar values anymore.

Do you have any research/testing/analytic's to back this claim up?

If you ever watch commercials for pharmaceutical drugs, there is usually an actor playing a "doctor" and they even write on the screen "this is not an actual doctor, but an actor imitating one"... yet it still works like crazy due to how human psychology works.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Thanks for the feed back guys... So far still no sales, either because I don't have enough targeted traffic or the sales page is ineffective. I need to do some SEO research and drive some proper traffic to test the sales page further... will keep you guys updated.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Thanks for the feed back guys... So far still no sales, either because I don't have enough targeted traffic or the sales page is ineffective. I need to do some SEO research and drive some proper traffic to test the sales page further... will keep you guys updated.

Why would you do any SEO research?

First, the market you are targeting is super competitive.

Second, it's much better to test and optimize your sales page with targeted driven traffic before putting in hours to get some in the first place.

Third, did you give out any reviews yet? are you active on forums where you could make sales threads and get reviews? Do you know any people in the industry that you could send the product to and ask them to feature it to their list if they like it?

I would do ZERO SEO work on this until you have this converting really well with a lot more testimonials and a longer copy. (and better video imo)

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Why would you do any SEO research?

First, the market you are targeting is super competitive.

Second, it's much better to test and optimize your sales page with targeted driven traffic before putting in hours to get some in the first place.

Third, did you give out any reviews yet? are you active on forums where you could make sales threads and get reviews? Do you know any people in the industry that you could send the product to and ask them to feature it to their list if they like it?

I would do ZERO SEO work on this until you have this converting really well with a lot more testimonials and a longer copy. (and better video imo)

Well I know nothing about SEO, so I thought I'd go do some research about it. I know this product will help people who are addicted to gaming so I guess I have to be on active on gaming forums and perhaps forums where mothers are concerned about their kids playing too many games?

I guess there are alot of youtube gaming channels who I can contact and ask if they'll comply with featuring it. Your approach way better than what I was gonna do, thanks!

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
I decided to put the blog as the front page... the sales page being the front page made the site look too markety.

GuyJeb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 27, 2011
Wow... I thought of making this exact eBook (well, a little different). Kinda shocked to see you already made it.

Couple of Questions

Did you hire others to do it, or did you do it all?
a. Did you write the book or hire someone? all of it? half of it? did you record yourself and have someone else transcribe it?
b. Did you edit it or hire someone?
C. Same for website, did you hire someone to make that as well?

I think you have a nice tie in with your YouTube channel. But your YouTube channel doesn't really appeal to Gamers, but to fitness. It does give the buyers an ability to see your transparency and that your an authentic author, however.

Overall, good job. I'd love to know if you are/were successful in making a profit from this.

thx

AlasdairM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 20, 2012
Do you have any research/testing/analytic's to back this claim up?

In the markets I'm in, it doesn't boost sales at all, but thanks for bringing that point up. You need to test in whatever market(s) you're in.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Good work on getting something off the ground! I've always been a gamer, but I've always had that balance of exercise and real adventure, though I have some friends who are lazy fatasses who never exercise.

How did you arrive at the price of $29.99? IMHO, especially for an e-book, that's quite a high price. I've never paid more than like $14 on Amazon, and those are for super well-known books with legendary reviews. I'm just wondering if that price is deterring people.

Moneymadness

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 15, 2012
Bay Area, CA
Congrats! I like the fact that you made something out of nothing. As for the feedback, I will be happy to give you a few.

- You may need a better banner or heading, perhaps with a human being that's actually in shape. Looks sort of cheap.

- As for video, I've seen similar website with the exact same video concept, BUT instead inserted voice, which grabs the prospect's attention.

The site looks amazing, though. Just needs some tweaking and a few adjustments.

I wanted to ask you, since I'm going to construct a site similar to yours. How did you go about designing a site like this? Do you have a web designer or did you put it together yourself? Any helpful tip will be appreciated! :eusa_clap:

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Wow... I thought of making this exact eBook (well, a little different). Kinda shocked to see you already made it.

Couple of Questions

Did you hire others to do it, or did you do it all?
a. Did you write the book or hire someone? all of it? half of it? did you record yourself and have someone else transcribe it?
b. Did you edit it or hire someone?
C. Same for website, did you hire someone to make that as well?

I think you have a nice tie in with your YouTube channel. But your YouTube channel doesn't really appeal to Gamers, but to fitness. It does give the buyers an ability to see your transparency and that your an authentic author, however.

Overall, good job. I'd love to know if you are/were successful in making a profit from this.

thx

Hey thx for the feedback, for a.) I wrote and drew all the pictures inside myself, and hired some guy off elance to proofread and format, this also answers b. and c.) I made everything on the website myself, just a wordpress website.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
How did you arrive at the price of $29.99? IMHO, especially for an e-book, that's quite a high price. I've never paid more than like $14 on Amazon, and those are for super well-known books with legendary reviews. I'm just wondering if that price is deterring people.

Well... I figured there are so many $1 ebooks on amazon on fitness, and it just makes them look like they have no value. On the otherhand there is a very popular ebook on abs "The truth about abs" which have sold over 500,000 copies... priced at 29.50 I think. I think they both offer similar value so i priced it at that.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
The site looks amazing, though. Just needs some tweaking and a few adjustments.

I wanted to ask you, since I'm going to construct a site similar to yours. How did you go about designing a site like this? Do you have a web designer or did you put it together yourself? Any helpful tip will be appreciated! :eusa_clap:

Thanks for the feed back... I definitely have LOTS of work to do, I think putting a product out here is the easy part.... getting traffic and converting is a whole other mountain I need to climb.

As for the website, its just a wordpress site... I looked around the web and downloaded some free plugins for it, I found optimizepress being a very helpful plug in for sales page, that plugin is not free.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Well I know nothing about SEO, so I thought I'd go do some research about it. I know this product will help people who are addicted to gaming so I guess I have to be on active on gaming forums and perhaps forums where mothers are concerned about their kids playing too many games?

I guess there are alot of youtube gaming channels who I can contact and ask if they'll comply with featuring it. Your approach way better than what I was gonna do, thanks!

- Gaming forums absolutely
- Worried Mothers - absolutely not.

Think about it this way. Your whole sales page is geared toward motivating a gamer to get in shape. You talk about abs and getting jacked. I don't see how your sales page would convince any mother to buy this product for her kid (personally).

Here are some questions for you:

->What are the top 3 things that gamers suffer from when playing too many video games(or for prolonged periods of time)?

->How many gamers want to get fit? Is this important to them? Is it putting them into danger?

If, when talking to gamers you realize they don't care much for getting fit, you may have to be someone to educate them on why they should want to be.

You have to interact with your target market and see what they need. When you find out what they need, sell them the answer through your product.

Naturally you will have to make relationships with your market so that they trust that you have their best interests in mind.

Also, I would suggest doing some brainstorming of where your audience interacts the most. Gaming forums are obvious, but right of the bat I thought about bodybuilding.com (perhaps they have a section for ppl who game?), how about sites that analyze games (ign etc.), why not contact one of their editors and see if they would do a piece on you? etc. etc.

I decided to put the blog as the front page... the sales page being the front page made the site look too markety.

I will be honest. You will not rank for the keywords your product targets. Do not worry about SEO. You are in the most competitive market on the internet.

Develop relations, reach out to people, make connections and keep providing massive value (i.e. through yt videos for example).

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
- Gaming forums absolutely
- Worried Mothers - absolutely not.

Think about it this way. Your whole sales page is geared toward motivating a gamer to get in shape. You talk about abs and getting jacked. I don't see how your sales page would convince any mother to buy this product for her kid (personally).

Here are some questions for you:

->What are the top 3 things that gamers suffer from when playing too many video games(or for prolonged periods of time)?

->How many gamers want to get fit? Is this important to them? Is it putting them into danger?

If, when talking to gamers you realize they don't care much for getting fit, you may have to be someone to educate them on why they should want to be.

You have to interact with your target market and see what they need. When you find out what they need, sell them the answer through your product.

Naturally you will have to make relationships with your market so that they trust that you have their best interests in mind.

Also, I would suggest doing some brainstorming of where your audience interacts the most. Gaming forums are obvious, but right of the bat I thought about bodybuilding.com (perhaps they have a section for ppl who game?), how about sites that analyze games (ign etc.), why not contact one of their editors and see if they would do a piece on you? etc. etc.

Thanks again for the help, this is most definitely a competitive market. I keep having second thoughts about being in this niche the past few days...so close to just giving up and finding a different niche.

But I know that is the easy way out, Ill give it more time before I call it quits and move on. I'll keep you guys updated.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Looks like it might be pretty similar to the above!

Hong King Kong, being a gamer, are you involved in any online forums or communities?

Right now to draw customers to my online community, I'm putting together a video tutorial series on YouTube. It's not about fitness, but I wonder if you could work with a buddy who wanted to really get in shape, who would be willing to do a videoblog kinda thing, upload a bunch of videos (once or twice a week) to show the progress and how the book is helping him to push it along. Share that series on the communities you're involved in, and it might show the average unmotivated fat gamer that they really can do it, and get all the girls as a result. (Or some other motivating factor, haha.)

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Don't give up HKK, you've already done the hard work of getting this far. Make sure you're differentiating yourself from the competition. You don't really know how that nerdfitness website is doing. I'm a gamer and I've never heard of it, so the market is far from saturated man!

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Don't give up HKK, you've already done the hard work of getting this far. Make sure you're differentiating yourself from the competition. You don't really know how that nerdfitness website is doing. I'm a gamer and I've never heard of it, so the market is far from saturated man!

Hey I'd be happy to work with you on getting fit & posting videos. pm me and we'll talk on skype or something.

Samuli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 29, 2012
I agree that the header looks boring and tedious, change it.

Otherwise I like the website and the posts but one thing I don't really like is your too casual writing style. Could work in some blogs if you really can pull it off(many can't) but in your case I would try to avoid it. I wouldn't want to read similar text in your guide.

This is what I mean, directly from your website:
It seems I’ve completely disregarded this blog!! Perhaps this is why traffic on this site is literally halt to a stop. But if you still read this I have a good reason for all this… it is not that I’m lazy!! But I simply can’t seem to spread my focus on several projects at once… mannn I gotta work on this problem.

treinjapan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Apr 8, 2012
Yeah, quotes like that aren't adding any value to the website, and they really give users a feeling like "this guy doesn't know what he's doing".

As for the YouTube thing, I didn't mean to say that I was volunteering to make the videos or star in them for you. I meant to say, you should find a buddy who can use your process, make videos, and put em on Youtube. I'm already in shape, so I'm not your man :D

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I think if you can hit it big with the gamers, Nerdfitness won't be a problem. From what I've heard, Nerdfitness does pretty well.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just ran across this: https://www.fitocracy.com/

It is a mix of gaming (levels, challenges, etc...) mixed with getting fit. Targeted at gamers and other nerds.

Not really an e-book but it's something you may not have seen before.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.