The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fighting CV19: Please send thoughts and well wishes to Greg B (Runum)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am home after 8 months hospital. Final toll. I lost 50 pounds of muscle, had a stroke,and lost part of my right leg. I get a prosthetic soon and will be back to walking. I do outpatient therapy m-f and work out 2-3 times a week. I am still comparatively weak but getting stronger everyday. I plan to go hiking with @SteveO again.
So glad to see your post man! Your choice dinner on me next time you’re in town.

I second @SteveO you are one bad a$$ dude.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I am still here. Nights are brutal. I cannot sit up without oxygen. I am fighting a sinus infection. I am on oxygen 24/7. I am hooked up to monitors also. I am monitored all night with little human interaction. The brain never stops thinking and has nothing to do. I listen to audio books for distraction. Nights are so lonely, scary, and quiet. Just you trying to see the sunrise and the brain that is not finding the solutions. I am concerned that this is not a linear fight. I m concerned about setbacks.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Hello @Runum I am wishing you a FULL recovery.

From reading your post about your experience, I sense the powerful fight in you - not even the treatment where you are can stop you because you hold the power within AND you ARE going to BEAT this.

Onto your successful recovery, we cheer you on.

I haven't been to a TMF Summit - Yet - but I look forward to meeting you in the next one!

Cheering you on BIG time brother - from the Caribbean to you and your well-being!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
New update 28 April
Update on Greg B****** : Still working on the trach collar. He stayed on it 2 hours the other day and an hour and 40 minutes yesterday. He has another infection, but the nurses tell me it is not considered sepsis. He is on antibiotics. They caught it early. Pray he can kick it quickly. The speech therapist put a speaking valve on him and got a slight sound one time. He has been sleeping a lot the last couple of days, but his body is getting stronger. Progress seems slow, but Greg has come a long way. Today is day 103 in the hospital. Praise God for daily miracles in our lives. God is our sustainer and healer. Thank you for praying. Love, Greg and Kathy.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I am not at all tired of hearing about this.

You sir, are an inspiration.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I contracted covid Jan 4 and have serious covid pneumonia. I am currently in the fight for my life.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get better. I will pray for you.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Right now it is more mental than physical. My mind wants to progress rapidly and to success. The disease has something to say about my success.
The mind is a powerful thing, my friend. Look mortal peril in the eye and show it you have the will to fight. Defiance is also medicine. When you beat the covid, as I am confident you will, I'll buy you lunch and we can discuss the great existential mysteries. Stay strong.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
@Runum this too shall pass.

Look forward you posting “I’m back! No oxygen needed, I’ll just yell at people because I can”.

In the meantime, sending you healing vibes. The best kind too. It’s FLf after all, we got you.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Tonight is tough. Sleep will not come. Too many challenges prevent me from finding peace. Thanks for all the kind words. Friday makes 14 days here. I have been focusing on slowing my bometrics. My respiration and pulse. Get out of fight or flight. Self control and regulation must return to a more stable rate for the future.
I once spent 3 days not able to breathe much, oxygen levels dipping below 80.

This exercise helped me rest back then.

Focus on the exhale. Keep your breath even. Think on positive things. Distract your brain. Think of a trip to the beach. Imagine the sounds, the smells. Feel the waves hit your feet. Listen to the children laughing. Let the warmth of the sun soak into your muscles, feel them relax slowly.

If this isn't the right image for you, if you aren't a beach guy, then personalize it to another memory that fills you with joy. Use all 5 senses to immerse yourself in that moment. Hope this helps.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
Yikes, not very good news. The trache at least should be temporary and decrease the risk of infections.
Second update today from Greg's wife:
Update on Greg B****** surgery. Just got a call from the doctor. The surgical team could not make it today, so Greg's surgeries will be at 8:00 tomorrow morning. So sorry for the confusion. Thank you for praying.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I wish there was more a person could do in this situation. It is going to be so hard for him. Telling another person what they should be grateful for is easy; being in that situation yourself, would feel impossible.

Greg, I don't know you, but wish you all the best and praying for you. Just thankful you are alive.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
New update 13 June:
Update on Greg B****** : Not a lot has changed since the last update. The physical therapists have had him standing up for a bit almost every day. Still working on vent weaning. Getting a bit better. He is much more aware and awake each day. Still sleeps on and off throughout the day. The dietician increased his calories. He was losing weight. He is a professional channel surfer again. Please continue to pray for his body to get stronger each day and NO MORE infections. We have the most faithful prayer warriors. God is still sending people to help us as we need it. Oh give thanks to the Lord! His mercy endures forever!! Love, Greg and Kathy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome back to health and a speedy recovery Greg. Incredibly awesome!!!

Would love to hear your biographical account of this whole ordeal, how you remained tough and fought through it, sounds like an powerful, inspiring story. Excited to see pics of you and Steve back in nature!!

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Just got done reading the whole thread. I got the pleasure to meet @Runum yesterday. I'm so glad I got to meet him yesterday, he's an amazing person to get to know and he truly is an inspiration! Thank you for allowing me to learn and hear your story :)

We all had fun yesterday, it was great to hear his story in person. I definitely learned a lot from him and wish to continue to learn from him.

After a year and half later, here is today :) see the picture below! Just thought I'd share it for everybody :).

A true Spartan to the end!

Attachments

• 20230624_180152.jpg
    20230624_180152.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 50

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Latest.....

On Jan 4 I had a great morning playing pickkleball. We both play, hike, bike, and workout 3 days a week. Most of our activities are outside in great weather during our travels. My wife got the sniffles and
Felt Run down. We thought seasonal allergies.

I was feeling progressively worse. Scratchy throat. Doing all the OTC stuff to kick it. Hot showers are usually great for me. I was struggling more each day, weaker. On Jan 11 I could not even sit up. My blood oxygen was around 80% and dropping. I was in pain and we found a local clinic. I tested positive and got ivermectine and a ton of other mods and went home. I did feel better and the clinic even did a follow up call and I felt OK.

Then Jan 14 was terrible. My oxy was dropping and I could not stand up. We had to have 2 guys help me into the truck. We found a real ER and made the 30 minute run. They admitted me immediately with could pneumonia and put me on high O2. There were no beds so I stayed in er for. 2 days. During that time you are not lucid. You are fighting for every breath. You are. In a constant struggle for homeostasis. The personal are running tests and asking questions. You are not your own advocate. You have few choices, follow along and live or not.

The struggle is so lonely. You are not sure of what the next level is. Are you going to crash? Will, they gave to trach you? Nurses coming and going. Very little explanations. That night it is you and you will to survive. Do you have enough?

Sometime during the night someone tripped over my IV and pulled it out. They had to install another one. They also have a blood gas artey test they need and kept missing the artey, it freaking hurts, 3 misses.

Late the second night I got moved to a room. It is more comfortable but no more info.

I couldn't sleep ever, I was not sure I would wake up. Supplemental oxygen is such a curse. Needed for survival but weakens your lungs fast.

I have been in this room for 13 days now and probably many more to come. The first nights I was so uncomfortable they kept having to up the meds.

I am not able to think and reason as I normally would. My cell will not call out. Fortunately I had set my wife up with resources for use during this trip. She has been able to take care of us.

My recovery is not linear. Good days and bad days. Yesterday was tough. Lots more painful tests. I did have fluid buildup in my neck that has disbursed. I have high anxiety about all of this so they have learned to keep me with Xanax for all of us. Nights have been spent watching the monitors. As long as they are still working I am still alive.

Shitting is an adventure. When I have to move my pulse goes to 110+ and it feels like my chest will explode. So I wiggle my a$$ on the pot to shut and my pulse is out of control. I am hyperventilating. After lying on the bed Edge for 45 minutes I figure out the oxygen is not working. There is no way I can recover to clean up and fall back into. The bed. In fact I may just have a heart attack at that point. Call for the nurse is hit or miss. They will tell me they are coming while I die in my own shift.

They are now giving me sleeping pills to help. My young roommate has constant fights with his girlfriend on the phone over money and bills. It is loud and can be quite amusing when I am in the mood.

With sleeping pills and Xanax nights are getting better. They also want me sleeping on my side, it makes it easier the breath at night. I had a talk with a couple of managers about equipment reliability and managing anxiety and stress. Apparently now I am the mean patient because I hurt some feelings.

I did ask for monoclonal therapy and was rejected. I know there are I there therapies but they do not seem willing to pursue. What do you do when they refuse?

I absolutely do not know more than they do. I cannot tell, them how to do their jobs.

More to come.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Greg, sounds like you are taking the same trajectory as my mother in-law. She spent about 17 days in the hospital and like you, became O2 dependent. She likely had the delta variant. I'm happy to say that she has mostly recovered, but the trajectory of her recovery was very similar to having a broken bone healed, or a surgical recovery followed by some physical therapy afterward ... the process is very slow, inch by inch, day by day. Happy to hear that it seems things have improved a bit.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
At this time I am improving which is good and bad. I am wary of the possible cytokine storm. I am continuing to press for alternative therapies to avoid that storm as much as possible. That is my main goal at this time. They are aware that I have the resources, just trying to get them to listen. The time window is closing.

Reading how things have unfolded, you likely already had cytokine storm, which it sounds like you are hopefully improving from.

Given your history, it sounds like you had the initial viral illness, and when you started to improve, the actual viral replication phase was probably ramping down. When you started to improve, that likely represented a winding down of the viral infection.

Getting sicker again and not being able to breath was probably the start of your cytokine storm. The covid pneumonia pattern is unusual on CT and from what I have read is largely believed to be inflammation in the lungs from the immune system going haywire which we term cytokine storm more than infection from covid.

I’ve seen a lot of covid, at least on the medical imaging end. It seems people either get progressively worse or turn the corner and begin down the pathway of recovery. I’m hoping from your description that you have turned the corner and are on the path towards recovery.

Also, the monoclonals are primarily used in the early phase of infection, from your description of your course your probably past the window they would typically give them. Cytokine storm is usually handled differently.

Last edited:

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I haven't been on the forum for quite awhile. But for some reason I felt led to return for the first time tonite.

Now I know why.

Greg, my friend, you're in my thoughts and prayers. I will be praying for your recovery.

Prayer is the Pause that Empowers.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
All anyone can do is educate yourself on the risks and play your hand. I am 62 with no comorbities. I am very active and take care of myself. I contracted covid Jan 4 and have serious covid pneumonia. I am currently in the fight for my life. It can and does happen but I wouldn't want everyone locked down for me.View attachment 41753
Sorry Greg! Praying for you my friend!

When you are out of there, and coming through Houston, I’m buying lunch.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
@Runum - praying for a speedy and healthy recovery my friend.

I am curious as to what treatments they are providing you.
At this point it has been massive drugs and oxygen. No therapy. This path will lead to more complications and possibly death. I am transferring to therapy facility today I hope.10 days of oxygen does bad things to respiratory tract and lungs.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I had a better night. I also had a tough talk with the staff. This is so mental. High anxiety. So tough. When you are lying on the bed with 110 pulse in distress and the oxygen supply is not functioning. You call for help and no one responds. Anxiety skyrockets as you try to calm and recover. If you want me to calm down don't leave me in a bad situation, ever. I am getting better but the potential failures always play in my mind.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Tonight is tough. Sleep will not come. Too many challenges prevent me from finding peace. Thanks for all the kind words. Friday makes 14 days here. I have been focusing on slowing my bometrics. My respiration and pulse. Get out of fight or flight. Self control and regulation must return to a more stable rate for the future.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Please SEARCH before posting.